PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Opens Up, Talks Life Outside Football

alittlejazzbird
11-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Steelers' Roethlisberger Opens Up, Talks Life Outside Football
(ThePittsburghChannel.com)

PITTSBURGH -- Last year, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger survived a motorcycle accident, an emergency appendectomy and a lackluster season.

But this year, things are looking up for Big Ben. He had his college jersey retired, won a courage award and threw five touchdown passes in the first half of one game this season, tying a Steelers record.

But along with the fame and celebrity status, things can get a little tough, even for a Super Bowl caliber quarterback.

"With the Internet now and YouTube and cell phones, you can't even be private at a private party because of where it might end up," said Roethlisberger. "It is almost annoying. You try to be respectful."

Most people, Roethlisberger said, would say it's a small price to pay after getting paid millions to play football, but he says it's not all about the money.

"I don't play football to make money," said Roethlisberger. "You play football because you love to do it. I think it is the key. People think we want to make the money. We do it because you love it."

Roethlisberger points to the Brett Favres and Vinny Testerverdes, who keep coming back for the love of the game. And he is puzzled that fans are fascinated with the most mundane details of his life.

"A lot of my friends say that people say to them, 'You know Ben?' And they ask, 'What does he eat?'" said Roethlisberger. "Once you get to know us, you can see that we are normal people. We just have an abnormal job."

Roethlisberger does allow fans a glimpse into parts of his life through his Web site though.

"The reason I like to keep my private life private is that is about all we have left," he said. "Even though I moved and not a lot of people know where I live now, 75 to 100 cars try to drive by my house a day."

On his Web site, Roethlisberger has photos of his sister, Carlee, and his dogs: Rottweiler Zeus and Burmese Mountain dog Hercules.

"I am assuming it would be like two brothers," said Roethlisberger. "They are fighting in the back seat of the car, and Zeus pulls my other dog's tail. It is comical at times. Makes life at my house pretty enjoyable."

His fondness for dogs led his foundation to contribute grants to a number of K-9 units around the country.

Before football, Roethlisberger said he wanted to become an FBI agent.

"I wanted to be James Bond or something," he said. "Saw those movies, thought it would be fun to me. I have a lot of friends, both in my hometown and in Pittsburgh who are officers, so I try to show my support in any way possible."

And finally, Roethlisberger said he is adamant about wanting to spend his entire career in Pittsburgh.

"It is hard to find that nowadays," he said. "To find that or a player in general. I have always wanted to be associated with one team, and I love the team that I am on now, and I love the city."

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/14707300/detail.html

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-28-2007, 09:53 AM
If he wants to stay in Pittsburgh........I say we consider it. :thumbsup:

stillers4me
11-28-2007, 09:59 AM
It's nice to know he's keeping that option open....:wink02:

I'd say the 'Burgh loves you, too Ben! :tt02:

AKSteeler
11-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Good read. It's good to see a pro-player "grounded". I'd love to see Ben ride out his career with the Steelers.

SteelStealth
11-28-2007, 10:36 AM
That's why I love Ben. He's like one of the old school Steelers. He belongs in the city of Pittsburgh, and on the Steelers. He is the best thing since (cough) Terry Bradshaw.
GO BEN!
SS
P.S. It's also the right time, our young receivers are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

TackleMeBen
11-28-2007, 10:50 AM
its great that he wants to stay, but now the question will be how much is the FO willing to pay him to stay.

alittlejazzbird
11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
its great that he wants to stay, but now the question will be how much is the FO willing to pay him to stay.

Don't you worry about it. He'll stay. They'll pay enough.

TackleMeBen
11-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Don't you worry about it. He'll stay. They'll pay enough.

i hope you are right. :wink02: let me become his agent.. i will get him a great deal :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
11-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Hopefully he'll become his own agent and make talks better for him and the team.

Atlanta Dan
11-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I guess we can afford to sign Faneca with the extra money in the FA budget - Ben says he does not play football for $$ and presumably will take league minimum.:smile:

In all seriousness, it was a nice interview - with the tragedy of Sean Taylor this week in mind, I am so glad Ben had the opportunity to survive bad decisions made when he was more impetuous as he continues to mature.

SteelerFanInCA
11-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Great read. Glad to see Ben's head and heart are in the same place.

Steelman16
11-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Great read. I like Big Ben more and more as a player and person.

memphissteelergirl
11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Great article...just affirms what I already love about BB. :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
11-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Its nice to see that the "young rookie qb" has grown up some. His extensive study and work in this past off season is what I really needed to hear, and can see that it paid off on Sundays.

Great Job Ben. Black and Gold 4 Life!!!

iloveben7
11-28-2007, 06:14 PM
I saw the interview last night on the news and it just reemphasized what I love and already knew about Ben. Ben loves Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh loves Ben.

Stlrs4Life
11-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Nice article! Also glad Ben keeps a level head.

revefsreleets
11-28-2007, 08:57 PM
We'll see. I remember when the Ward negotiations got ugly. About 75% of the fans turned on him. Now? You couldn't find a fan in the whole Steeler Nation that would admit to saying a single bad word ever about Hines.

Ben will ask for a contract that will dwarf anything any other Steeler player has ever received. His agent will look like the "bad guy" because the fans will remember interviews like this. But the FACT is that the client controls the agent, and not vice-versa.

I hate to be cynical, but there is precedent here.

siss
11-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I say we give him a life time contract....as long as he wants to be a steeler he can and we will opay 2 million a year...

BUT...

Be has all kinds of incentives like reaching the playoffs and super bowl and also statical incentives like for a certain QB rating.

Ben is a very competive person and I think if he gets bored he will lose interest and look for something else that challenges him(motorcycle perhaps?). And if he truly isnt motivated by money then this would be a way to guarentee that he doesnt lose interest.

83-Steelers-43
11-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Like, I'm hanging on every word, like while salivating......:bouncy: