PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh QB Roethlisberger Shows Mettle in Mud

alittlejazzbird
11-28-2007, 08:39 AM
See? Not everyone in the media is looking at the glass half empty....
Pittsburgh QB Roethlisberger shows mettle in mud
By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

PITTSBURGH ? That was more a bog than a pocket that Ben Roethlisberger was operating from with the Pittsburgh Steelers moving from the Miami Dolphins' 42-yard line with 4:13 left in a scoreless Monday night quagmire.

As former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis would say, Roethlisberger has proven himself to be one clutch mudder.

On a mucky slip-and-slide known as Heinz Field that had been newly resodded but soaked all day by heavy rain, Roethlisberger managed to complete 18 of 21 passes for 165 yards. At one point, he completed 15 consecutive passes to tie a franchise record.

More significantly, Roethlisberger performed well after he convinced coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to go no-huddle for the final two possessions.

Roethlisberger hit four of five passes for 39 yards on the nine-play drive that set up Jeff Reed's game-winning 24-yard field goal with 17 seconds remaining.

"Going into the last two series, I told Bruce and coach Tomlin, 'Just let me throw the ball. I can win this game,' " Roethlisberger says. " 'We can get it down the field. I've got confidence in my line and in my receivers.' And you saw the last drive.

"Hopefully, it just shows all the people out there who say we have to run the ball to win the game. Well, we can throw the ball, too."

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said Bettis was the surest Pittsburgh mudder in sloppy conditions such as the 8-3 Steelers and 0-11 Dolphins slogged through.

"We called Jerome a good mudder," Ward says. "In conditions like this, he excelled."

But Roethlisberger and Ward, who caught nine passes for 88 yards, seemingly have joined Bettis' sure-footed class.

Ward made the prettiest and longest catch of an ugly night, laying out for a 21-yard reception on the second play of the winning drive.

Ward says Roethlisberger told him: " 'Hey Hines, just make a play for me.'

"The footing was terrible. It was like running in a marsh. My game is not predicated on speed. I think I came up with every opportunity. That's what a mudder is; it's about technique and route running in conditions like that. Your concentration level has to go up tremendously."

Roethlisberger seemed to thrive in the up-tempo no-huddle, directing the 11th fourth-quarter winning drive of his four-season career.

"Ben did a nice job with the football, administering the offense, particularly when we wanted to change the rhythm," Tomlin says. "Hines Ward was big. He was Hines Ward, and we needed every one of those catches.

"It was a great team win, a test of our character."

Tomlin said the goal on the final drive was a dry piece of turf on the right side of the field at the north, protected end of the stadium.

"We did see a dry patch of ground," Tomlin says.

Dry was a relative term. Reed called it the most difficult 24-yarder of his career.

"When you hit a punt and it sticks in the ground, you know it's bad," Reed says.

Tomlin won't use the sloppy field as an excuse as the Steelers prepare to host the 4-7 Cincinnati Bengals.

"We will continue to work with the NFL game operations people this week as our grounds crew works to improve the conditions of the field in time for Sunday night's game against the Cincinnati Bengals," Steelers President Art Rooney II said in a statement.

The last time the Steelers played in such sloppy conditions was Sept. 26, 2004, when Roethlisberger won his first NFL start 13-3 at Miami after a hurricane.

That makes Roethlisberger 37-14 as a starter, including 2-0 in mud bowls against Miami.

"Ben has grown, but it's a natural maturation process," Tomlin says. "He's a guy in his fourth year. He's got a great combination of youth and experience. He believes in the men that he works with. He has natural leadership skills. He wants to be the reason that we win. He doesn't fear those moments; he embraces them.

"It's part of what makes him who he is."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2007-11-27-roethlisberger_N.htm

Counselor
11-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Nice article.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Wow it took Ben convincing Tomlin/Arians to let him throw the ball at the end there...Goes back to my argument the other night.......They waited well to long to do that and if they had done that sooner the game never would have came down to a last second field goal...I was screaming pass all night....Not 50 yard bombs but I knew the short routes would work....Damn Arians is a fool.....lol

revefsreleets
11-28-2007, 07:50 PM
So, let's see. I think I have it now. Arians calls the plays, but Ben has final say and control at the line.

When the play works, Ben is great.

When the play fails, Arians is an idiot.

I got it!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-28-2007, 07:58 PM
So, let's see. I think I have it now. Arians calls the plays, but Ben has final say and control at the line.

When the play works, Ben is great.

When the play fails, Arians is an idiot.

I got it!

I got it....You people act like we're the Colts and we give Ben free reign like the Colts do with Peyton......

If Ben had such the free reign like you suggest he wouldn't have had to convince Tomlin/Arians to go to the no huddle and pass to get the win...He would have done it sooner since he makes the changes and has the the final say like you all seem to think.....:toofunny: Its laughable.......Come Ben is a QB....If he had the final say on everything then I'm sure he would be averaging more then the 26 attempts a game he is averaging per game...lol

Yes Arians is an idiot.......:thumbsup:

revefsreleets
11-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Arians was Peyton Manning's 1st NFL QB coach. Did you know that?

Arians said at the beginning of the year he was going to give Ben the reigns on the offense. Did you know that?

Arians also quite publicly stated at the beginning of the year that "The offense is his, not mine" referring to Ben. Did you know that?

"Idiot" is such a strong word.

steelwolf21
11-30-2007, 09:02 AM
never knew arians was manning's qb coach that's quite intriguing. Has Roethlisberger now played every career game against miami in conditions resembling the second coming of noahs flood? I certainly can't think of another game against them that he was in...

alittlejazzbird
11-30-2007, 09:09 AM
never knew arians was manning's qb coach that's quite intriguing. Has Roethlisberger now played every career game against miami in conditions resembling the second coming of noahs flood? I certainly can't think of another game against them that he was in...

That's right. Ben's first career start was the Hurricane Bowl in Miami in '04 (not exactly breaking any scoring records either - the final was 13-3). Monday night was the third meeting since then, but Charlie Batch played last season's game because of Ben's appendectomy.