PDA

View Full Version : Change to the front line next year?

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-28-2007, 01:28 PM
I just keep going back to our line play. The more I think about it the more I think several players seem to be dealing less with a lack of talent than see to be playing the wrong position.

Of course we are going to have to use the players that we currently have on the roster until the offseason...but I think that one of two potential free agents may make all the difference in the world to our offensive line.

Now hear me out on this because I understand that Marvel Smith isnt the weakest link on our line... But the addition of either the Panthers LT Wharton or the Seahawks RT Locklear (who could move to the left side) could help us switch players to a more effective position. Both these players are 26 years old and both are pretty agile and strong.

Now...Put one of these young guys at LT...Move Colon to LG...Simmons to Center...Mahan/Kemo to RG...and Smith to RT

I see an upgrade at Everyspot except LT where I think the young Tackles may prove to be AS effective but maybe not better. Mahan and Kemo are toss-ups for me when taking into consideration that I hear Kemo is a slow learner..and that I want to see Mahan at his natural position before penciling him in.

I would also make the front line a priority in the draft and specifically a young Tackle and Center to groom for a season or two
What does the Steeler nation think? Give me your opinions and what changes you would make.

bratsinmybelly
11-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Now this is the kind of intelligent discussion I was hoping to start in the "ugliest thing on tv" thread. Instead, I got people who claim that the sack problems are Ben's fault.:dang:

I like where your head is at as far as fixing this line. I guess my first concern might be money. If we follow through on our commitment to retain Big-Ben and some other high priced talent, will there be any left over to upgrade the line? If not, we will be throwing our money away IMO.

Preacher
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Funny,

I was saying about the same thing... just in much more general terms. I want to see the first two draft picks go to the O line... and a FA or two to fill in a hole until the picks step it up.

I think your on target.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-28-2007, 01:45 PM
I like those ideas.

If we somehow resign Faneca, I think that takes care of the gaurd position. We definatly need to take a center. Maybe we'll get lucky and get one of the ones that can play well at a pro level right away.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Now this is the kind of intelligent discussion I was hoping to start in the "ugliest thing on tv" thread. Instead, I got people who claim that the sack problems are Ben's fault.:dang:

I like where your head is at as far as fixing this line. I guess my first concern might be money. If we follow through on our commitment to retain Big-Ben and some other high priced talent, will there be any left over to upgrade the line? If not, we will be throwing our money away IMO.

Taking alot of things into consideration.....Let Faneca go....Cut Starks, Deshea, Wilson, and Clark....and we should have the money to pay Ben and pick up a quality Tackle.

bratsinmybelly
11-28-2007, 01:58 PM
I like those ideas.

If we somehow resign Faneca, I think that takes care of the gaurd position. We definatly need to take a center. Maybe we'll get lucky and get one of the ones that can play well at a pro level right away.

There is little-to-no hope of re-signing Faneca so there goes that. Draft picks are probably our best bet. I love the idea of free-agents but don't think it will be feasible financially. At least with draft picks, the team has a little more leverage to work with while under financial pressure.

That being said, There is a great center (Jonathan Luigs) coming out of Arkansas that I would absolutely LOVE to see in Black & Gold. We should probably get a Guard though. Who do you all like that will be coming out next year?

The Duke
11-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Mahan at guard definitely. Marvel Smith to RT sounds good.

At center we need someone strong and physical, and I don't think Simmons has any of that. Maybe drafting someone....

I like the idea of a young free agent at LT, but obviously first comes Ben's contract

Now the other guard position may be for Colon while we grab at least 2 lineman for the future, and maybe even use one at center

bratsinmybelly
11-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Taking alot of things into consideration.....Let Faneca go....Cut Starks, Deshea, Wilson, and Clark....and we should have the money to pay Ben and pick up a quality Tackle.

Man that's a lot of cutting! But I couldn't agree more that the line and ben have to take priority.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Wow..I am seeing a real consensus in regards to moving some of these players around.
I still think however that by letting some of our players go and putting in talented younger players...(Smith for Clark...McFadden for Deshea...etc) we free up enough to get a FA tackle and get Ben the money he deserves.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Man that's a lot of cutting! But I couldn't agree more that the line and ben have to take priority.

Starks & Wilson are dead weight....Deshea and Ryan have very talented players behind them. They are lucky they dont give me the axe....I would go to town!!

19ward86
11-28-2007, 02:11 PM
marvel smith has been our best lineman in the last 2 yrs, faneca is underachieving. i think we will keep marvel smith where he is. i want us to use a 1st round pick on a RT and trade mahan for draft picks, here is the line in my eyes:

LT-Marvel Smtih, still one of the best tackles in the league
LG-Kemeoatu, strong guy who can overpower Tackles and backers
C-Simmons, he isnt bad but he could use a change of position
RG-Willie Colon, doesnt play tackle so why start him there?
RT-1st round draft pick, we need a strong line not a skill line like what we have now, skill lines are for passing offenses, we might get sacked alot but that is because we have guards playing tackle and a bad center.

as a response to roethlisBURGHer, cutting starx, townsend, clark and wilson would hurt us, starx is a valuable backup, townsend is considered to be our best CB, clark is our best safety(note that troy truly plays a linebacker position) and wilson is valuable in his own rights, ben was just signed before the season and the steelers dont pay big money for FA's.

bratsinmybelly
11-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Wow..I am seeing a real consensus in regards to moving some of these players around.
I still think however that by letting some of our players go and putting in talented younger players...(Smith for Clark...McFadden for Deshea...etc) we free up enough to get a FA tackle and get Ben the money he deserves.

Are all of these players that you are mentioning going to be free agents? If so, then let them go no question. If they are under contract, cutting them still hoses us from a cap perspective so we might as well keep them.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-28-2007, 02:32 PM
marvel smith has been our best lineman in the last 2 yrs, faneca is underachieving. i think we will keep marvel smith where he is. i want us to use a 1st round pick on a RT and trade mahan for draft picks, here is the line in my eyes:

RT-1st round draft pick, we need a strong line not a skill line like what we have now, skill lines are for passing offenses, we might get sacked alot but that is because we have guards playing tackle and a bad center.

as a response to roethlisBURGHer, cutting starx, townsend, clark and wilson would hurt us, starx is a valuable backup, townsend is considered to be our best CB, clark is our best safety(note that troy truly plays a linebacker position) and wilson is valuable in his own rights, ben was just signed before the season and the steelers dont pay big money for FA's.

I appreciate the opinion, and agree with you on the guards and center position... I respectfully suggest that Starks is a turnstyle that hasnt learned to bend at the knees and gets beat by leverage on a regular basis.... Deshea has lost a step and In my opinion most people are fooled into thinking he has more talent than he does because we see him making tackles every game...1) that means that the opposition is throwing his direction more often than Ike's..and 2) the WR has CAUGHT the ball and Deshea HAS to make the tackle. I like Clark, and think that he is a better coverage man than Smith at this point, but Smith is quickly making WR's nervous about coming across his area...(see TJ when we play on Sunday) and is a better tackler with very good instincts. Wilson is crap. Simply put. One TD in three years is reason enough to let him go.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Are all of these players that you are mentioning going to be free agents? If so, then let them go no question. If they are under contract, cutting them still hoses us from a cap perspective so we might as well keep them.

Starks and Faneca will be UFA...I really dont see Clark coming back from the surgery. Tony is usually up on contracts...and I am not sure of Wilsons or Townsends status, I just know that getting rid of Wilson is addition by subtraction...I'll take the hit on his salary in hopes of getting a productive replacement.

Big D
11-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I really thought faneca would have a breakout year this year beings it's his contract year. I think he has hurt his market value. If the thinks he's going to get steve hutchinson type of money he has another thing comming

bratsinmybelly
11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
I really thought faneca would have a breakout year this year beings it's his contract year. I think he has hurt his market value. If the thinks he's going to get steve hutchinson type of money he has another thing comming

There are always teams out there like the Redskins and Raiders that seem to have no salary cap. They also seem to have no sense. They will be willing to pay top dollar to AF on name recognition alone. Our only hope for keeping AF is that he somehow sees the personal value of retiring in the same place that put a SB ring on his finger and could probably secure him a spot in the Hall. He might then stay if we can present a top 10 offer of which I think he is certainly deserving.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Taking alot of things into consideration.....Let Faneca go....Cut Starks, Deshea, Wilson, and Clark....and we should have the money to pay Ben and pick up a quality Tackle.You make some good points. As the o-line goes, so go The Steelers. It's always been that way!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-28-2007, 05:16 PM
The Steelers getting a a true LT sounds great to me......But if they chase a LT in free agency its going to take a king's ransom to sign him....We need to resign Ben first next year....I really like Wharton from the Panthers though....I'm in total agreement with finding a more true athletic LT that is great in pass protection....Move Smith back to RT which he is better suited to play RT......So really heading into next year resigning Ben and trying to sign Wharton sounds good to me.....If not they must try and draft a LT......

I thin Mahan needs to move to OG....He doesn't have the strength to handle big NTs across the NFL.....So drafting a center is a big need in my mind.....

I think Simmons sucks at life period...He just signed a new contract though so were stuck with him...But I really don't see how moving him to center might work.........I think he will suck there as well......

Hopefully two of these three Mahan,Kemoeatu or even Willie Colon will emerge as the OGs next year....Its clear Colon can't play OT at the NFL level.....He is as bad as Max Starks in my mind....

Even if we do sign a LT....I think the drafting of 3 Olineman i a must in this upcoming draft...We need some young talent big time along the Oline....

bratsinmybelly
11-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Looking at early draft rankings, it seems that there is an abundance of prospects at OT. That is great news for us. There is also some talent available at G/C as well. I guess that is a silver lining to what has become a crap cloud concerning our o-line. We will have ample opportunity to upgrade via the draft next off-season. Let's hope we take advantage of it.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-29-2007, 12:37 AM

Which one are you on? Rydalin? Xanax?

Smith is not close to being one of the best tackles in th NFL. Who exactly has Kemo overpowered since his days at UTAH? Simmons needs a change in career not position.

"Willie Colon doesn't play tackle" Well now you speak the truth.

But then...

"starx is a valuable backup"

I haven't heard such bullcrap since Hillary Clinton started being truthful. :checkit:

Rhee Rhee
11-29-2007, 01:38 AM
last year would have been perfect to take samson satele from hawaii he played with a mean streak and played all over the line for hawaii but some stupid dolphin GM decided to take him in the third.. or was it second.. anyway i see major changes and major shuffling in our line next year... we defintely have to adress the o-line in the draft no matter what.. i dont exactly see GREAT players worth spending huge $$$ on.. i mean look at like everyone that got signed in this years FA... millions of dollars spent on guys who were never proven....

Aussie_steeler
11-29-2007, 01:55 AM
You make some good points. As the o-line goes, so go The Steelers. It's always been that way!

I agree totally. I think to be even more specific it lies totally in the strength/quality of the left guard / centre combination. Faneca is gone that is a given. Mahan is not the solution at centre.

I see Marvel moving to right tackle to play beside Simmons. I see the other three positions totally under review.

WIth the investment in Mahan I think he, kemo and a draft pick will compete for the left guard job. Left tackle will be addressed in the draft in a major way.

The centre position is critical to handling the big nose tackles faced in the AFC. The running game was never in question when Dermonti / Faneca and Hartings/Faneca played.

How and where a HOF quality centre can be found is beyond my knowledge of what is out there. The staff must see something in Stapleton to have him no.2 on the depth chart. To the rest of us he is pretty well unknown.

The centre position in my opinion sets the whole tone of the steelers offensive line and its quality of play. (Webster, Dawson and Hartings.... How lucky have we been)

Any ideas on what the best options for centre are going to be?

Galax Steeler
11-29-2007, 04:10 AM
I think the best way to address our problems will be through the draft we need to get ben signed to a big contract then see where that puts us in cap dollars.l

Crushzilla
11-29-2007, 04:34 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Hartings was a guard before a center. The same goes for Dawson.

So I am not surprised that they experimented with Mahan, and, yes, he hasn't been exceptional. Yes, he probably isn't the long term solution. I can see the Steelers giving him another swing next season, though.

Before, during, and in the Draft, I really would have liked to have seen Nick Mangold come our way, but realized, logistically, it wasn't going to happen. He has been a large part of rebuilding that Jet's OLine, but what's done is done, and I love having Torry Holt Jr. in the fold.

A lot can happen between now and April, but I'm really going to be disappointed if they don't invest in the Offensive Line come draft day. Talking to a friend the other day, we agreed that this offense is going to be exceptional in 2-3 years, with Ben, Santonio, Willie, Heath, but that isn't going to happen unless we beef up the line with young talent, especially at LT, rightfully regarded as the most important position on the OLine when discussing a right-handed Quarterback.

If we do have any sort of depth right now it is at Guard. If we add some pieces to the tackles and center positions, we can maneuver at Guard.

I suppose its nice to believe that Wharton's value is going down, but I have to agree Rhee Rhee in assuming that, no matter what, any legitimate free agents on the Offensive Line are going to demand a pretty penny. The market is absolutely out of control right now.

We all know that those filthy cheapskates, the Rooneys (this is where I'm supposed to put a smiley or winkey face to show sarcasm :wink02:), aren't going to drop that kind of cash.

Expect to see an Offensive Lineman in the first, probably the third, and one or two mercenaries in FA.

Whether or not it will work is a whole different story.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 06:02 AM

Center isnt a real strong position in this draft... Most boards that I show have Cody Wallace from Texas A&M or Steve Justice from Wake Forest as the best and they could be available to us in the third round. ...but I will give you a sleeper that I think fits our program....Doug Legursky out of Marshall...he is a scrapper with a mean streak.

This draft is top heavy with quality OT's and LB's...and we could (probably) walk away with Pittsburgh's OT Otah, Illinois ILB Leman..and a decent Center in the first three rounds.

Aussie_steeler
11-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I would be extremely surprised if a OT is not taken in the first round. There would only be three or four players that would be taken ahead of team needs because of their talent levels and they would have to either be at CB, ILB or DE.

LLT - which draft site do you find most accurate when it comes to ranking players?
I see some sites having OTAH anywhere from 1st to 3rd round. The centres have even greater variation.

Steeldude
11-30-2007, 08:48 PM
I just keep going back to our line play. The more I think about it the more I think several players seem to be dealing less with a lack of talent than see to be playing the wrong position.

Of course we are going to have to use the players that we currently have on the roster until the offseason...but I think that one of two potential free agents may make all the difference in the world to our offensive line.

Now hear me out on this because I understand that Marvel Smith isnt the weakest link on our line... But the addition of either the Panthers LT Wharton or the Seahawks RT Locklear (who could move to the left side) could help us switch players to a more effective position. Both these players are 26 years old and both are pretty agile and strong.

Now...Put one of these young guys at LT...Move Colon to LG...Simmons to Center...Mahan/Kemo to RG...and Smith to RT

I see an upgrade at Everyspot except LT where I think the young Tackles may prove to be AS effective but maybe not better. Mahan and Kemo are toss-ups for me when taking into consideration that I hear Kemo is a slow learner..and that I want to see Mahan at his natural position before penciling him in.

I would also make the front line a priority in the draft and specifically a young Tackle and Center to groom for a season or two
What does the Steeler nation think? Give me your opinions and what changes you would make.

IMO, simmons at center will be a disaster. the guy will get thrown around worse than the already does. i doubt the steelers draft a center. they seem to be high on stephenson's potential.

how expensive are the free agent tackles going to be? the steelers aren't going to have a lot of room to work with.

smith is a better RT anyway. i believe he was RT in college, not certain though.

the steelers neglected the O-line for too many years. they should have kept up on it with solid draft picks. for some odd reason the steelers became fascinated with WRs.

it won't be long before the D-line needs rebuilding. there are no future replacements on the roster at the moment.

the steelers need to focus on the O-line in the 2008 draft. they should address the D-line second.

RBs and WRs would be wasted picks. you can always find a WR in the free agent market for an affordable price.

Steeldude
11-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Who exactly has Kemo overpowered since his days at UTAH?

i wouldn't be able to recall who he has flattened, but he is mauler. the problem is he's as dumb as a stump. his pass protection isn't solid, but he excels at run blocking.

Steeldude
11-30-2007, 08:56 PM

mcfadden is basically a human pass interference machine. i am hoping gay can replace townsend when the time comes.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Center isnt a real strong position in this draft... Most boards that I show have Cody Wallace from Texas A&M or Steve Justice from Wake Forest as the best and they could be available to us in the third round. ...but I will give you a sleeper that I think fits our program....Doug Legursky out of Marshall...he is a scrapper with a mean streak.

This draft is top heavy with quality OT's and LB's...and we could (probably) walk away with Pittsburgh's OT Otah, Illinois ILB Leman..and a decent Center in the first three rounds.what about alex mack of california...or drew miller of florida..he's played tackle,guard and center.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-30-2007, 09:00 PM
what about alex mack of california...or drew miller of florida..he's played tackle,guard and center.

I like Drew Miller and he played very well against LSU.....I hope Miller is a Steeler....

Crushzilla
11-30-2007, 11:15 PM
I like Drew Miller and he played very well against LSU.....I hope Miller is a Steeler....

No. Then everyone with a Heath Miller jersey would have to get the updated H. Miller one.

:dang: Think, man!

tony hipchest
12-01-2007, 12:18 AM
the steelers neglected the O-line for too many years. they should have kept up on it with solid draft picks. for some odd reason the steelers became fascinated with WRs.

it won't be long before the D-line needs rebuilding. there are no future replacements on the roster at the moment.

the steelers need to focus on the O-line in the 2008 draft. they should address the D-line second.

RBs and WRs would be wasted picks. you can always find a WR in the free agent market for an affordable price. how was the o-line neglegcted? maybe the steelers swung and missed a few times, but faneca, simmons, and smith were all high draft picks. all our linemen except for mahan are drafted, homegrown talent.

faneca is playing on a contract that made him a top paid guard when he signed it.

the steelers promoted russ grimm to assistant head coach and gave him a hefty raise to ensure the potential HOF player, super bowl winning, and head coaching candidate would remain a steeler.

2001, 2004, 2005 the steelers line was regarded as one of the best in the league.

great back up play in an unforseen 15-1 season cost us two more players from the line in free agency.

i will give you troy edwards being a bad pick. but s. holmes and p. burress were solid choices based on talent and potential. hines ward was a fine #3 and randle el was a #2 that almost added a devin hester type dynamic to our offense.

as for other recent #1's, should s. andrews been taken over big ben? i guess polamalu and h. miller shoulda been passed over for offensive linemen? timmons seems like a great pick for a team that supposedly has no depth at the position and larry foote supposedly getting bowled over every time he ties a knot in his laces.

do we just take a lineman with every 1st round pick until we get it right?

i agree that we could draft 4 linemen next year and be no worse off. i agree that we dont need to worry about wr or rb. i cant agree that we have "neglected" our handsomly paid line though. i need much more evidence to believe that.

however i might accept that we have the wrong system for the personnel, or that grimm was an overpaid stiff, or that we made a few bad draft selections along the way.

Aussie_steeler
12-01-2007, 02:59 AM
I have only seen footage of the Baltimore and Denver games so I have no idea as to how everybody has played on the O line this year.

Has there been a change in system, drop off in technique and skill level or has my perceived bad play been due to poor cohesion.

I would really like an insight into an objective comparision between the level of play of the O line under Grimm and Zierlien (browns, bengals & Bills experience)

Any takers?

Haiku_Dirtt
12-01-2007, 03:24 AM
**I think I saw Lamberts-lost-tooth in the back of a tiger shark last week but DNA testing is on back order. And I completely agree with his post. Maybe I'd cut Deshea a little slack.

"how was the o-line neglegcted? maybe the steelers swung and missed a few times, but faneca, simmons, and smith were all high draft picks. all our linemen except for mahan are drafted, homegrown talent."

**I'm not knocking Cowher but he kicked the can down the street - a bad thing. That's how the o-line became inferior but in NO WAY neglected. HOW do you rebuild an offensive line after years in the AFCCG and then once winning the Super Bowl. Can't be done without making other sacrifices. How bad did the Browns have to be to get Joe Thomas?

2001, 2004, 2005 the steelers line was regarded as one of the best in the league.

**And if we had that line today our chances of winning the Super Bowl would be as good as any team. ANY if not better. So Cowher left that too - a good thing

**If there WERE any top tier lineman left after the Top 10 picks...And this year is no different.

i agree that we could draft 4 linemen next year and be no worse off. i agree that we dont need to worry about wr or rb. i cant agree that we have "neglected" our handsomly paid line though. i need much more evidence to believe that.

**Okay. We agree to agree that improving our o-line in the last two years was equally as possible as naming a teddy bear in Sudan...uh...something that starts with a M. But Chukki Okobi lived fat and large without ever contributing to the bottom line. Or the top line or any line. Strange indeed.

however i might accept that we have the wrong system for the personnel, or that grimm was an overpaid stiff, or that we made a few bad draft selections along the way

**I don't know what moving Marvel Smith to the right will do. Willie Colon is really young. And the real rub. Paying Faneca. Deserve it? F-yeah. Afford it? I'm starting to wonder. Im hearing alot of WISHFUL thinking. Can you imagine the heat on Russ Grimm as the Steeler HC right now? After all it is his squad.

** Art Jr. and Kevin Colbert are well aware. KC has made brilliant moves. This is Kevin Colbert's defining moment in his career IMHO

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2007, 04:07 AM
would be extremely surprised if a OT is not taken in the first round. There would only be three or four players that would be taken ahead of team needs because of their talent levels and they would have to either be at CB, ILB or DE.

LLT - which draft site do you find most accurate when it comes to ranking players?
I see some sites having OTAH anywhere from 1st to 3rd round. The centres have even greater variation.

Out of the major publications...Pro-Football-Weekly was the most accurate last year. As far as draft sites..I like The draft notebook.

Steeldude
12-01-2007, 04:16 AM
how was the o-line neglegcted? maybe the steelers swung and missed a few times, but faneca, simmons, and smith were all high draft picks. all our linemen except for mahan are drafted, homegrown talent.

faneca is playing on a contract that made him a top paid guard when he signed it.

the steelers promoted russ grimm to assistant head coach and gave him a hefty raise to ensure the potential HOF player, super bowl winning, and head coaching candidate would remain a steeler.

great back up play in an unforseen 15-1 season cost us two more players from the line in free agency.

i will give you troy edwards being a bad pick. but s. holmes and p. burress were solid choices based on talent and potential. hines ward was a fine #3 and randle el was a #2 that almost added a devin hester type dynamic to our offense.

as for other recent #1's, should s. andrews been taken over big ben? i guess polamalu and h. miller shoulda been passed over for offensive linemen? timmons seems like a great pick for a team that supposedly has no depth at the position and larry foote supposedly getting bowled over every time he ties a knot in his laces.

however i might accept that we have the wrong system for the personnel, or that grimm was an overpaid stiff, or that we made a few bad draft selections along the way.

simmons is a bust and the steelers give him a raise. why? i have no idea. maybe he can play center, but i don't see how. if you get pushed around at guard i can't see it getting better at center.

faneca is done here. who is his replacement? it isn't kemo, essex, mahan or starks.

who is smith's replacement? he isn't getting any younger.

who is going to be the center next year? mahan again? they seem high on stephenson. i think he needs to add a little more weight though.

who is going to be the RG next year? simmons? we have all seen what simmons can do.

simmons was reach in the draft. picking linemen on the second day is not going to hack it.

the steelers do not have a single replacement for any of their starters, not one. granted they can't take a lineman in the 1st round every year, but i think a little more thought could be put into it. you can't keep drafting okobi's, bo lacy's and essex' and hope they work out. IMO, the steelers haven't taken the O-line seriously in the draft.

burress was a wasted pick for this team's offense scheme. he did nothing when he was here except drop passes, put forth little effort and whine. burress did exactly what his draft report said he would do. the steelers could have had urlacher with that pick. i wasn't too happy with the miller pick because the steelers rarely use their TEs. at least this year they are finally noticing them.

don't get me started on foote :sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2007, 04:23 AM
simmons is a bust and the steelers give him a raise. why? i have no idea. maybe he can play center, but i don't see how. if you get pushed around at guard i can't see it getting better at center.

faneca is done here. who is his replacement? it isn't kemo, essex, mahan or starks.

who is smith's replacement? he isn't getting any younger.

who is going to be the center next year? mahan again? they seem high on stephenson. i think he needs to add a little more weight though.

who is going to be the RG next year? simmons? we have all seen what simmons can do.

simmons was reach in the draft. picking linemen on the second day is not going to hack it.

the steelers do not have a single replacement for any of their starters, not one. granted they can't take a lineman in the 1st round every year, but i think a little more thought could be put into it. you can't keep drafting okobi's, bo lacy's and essex' and hope they work out. IMO, the steelers haven't taken the O-line seriously in the draft.

burress was a wasted pick for this team's offense scheme. he did nothing when he was here except drop passes, put forth little effort and whine. burress did exactly what his draft report said he would do. the steelers could have had urlacher with that pick. i wasn't too happy with the miller pick because the steelers rarely use their TEs. at least this year they are finally noticing them.

don't get me started on foote :sofunny:

Based on what we have to work with...Simmons may be the only answer at Center...he is stronger than Mahan and might not get blown off the line by the mammoth 3-4 NT's that the AFCN incorporates. I also dont think he is the long term answer...and probably isnt anything more than a little dutch boy with his finger in the dike...but that is the lot we have to live with for awhile.

zoneblitz43
12-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Simmons has actually improved this year. He had a couple bad games this year but he is playing better than he did last year. Starks played well at LT Monday night, controlling and allowing only 1 sack to Jason Taylor was impressive. I would keep him as a backup. Mahan and Colon suck. I think we should draft a replacement for Faneca and a center. We can get a LT in the first round, a guard in the second, and a center in the 3rd or 4th.