PDA

View Full Version : The Bengals

Dino 6 Rings
11-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Ok, lets break down the Bengals and really get into the Guts of this week's opposition.

First and foremost, Chad Johnson Never has great games against the Steelers. In games we have lost to them in recent memory, it has always been Henry and Hushamama that have made the big plays and "killed" us.

their defense isn't great, its 28th, but that just means we can look for a stunting 8 man front to get us out of our rushing game early and then they can pin back their ears and try to chase down Big Ben.

Their running game isn't great, but having to cover 3 main receivers will find us in a nickel often and that will open up lanes for the draw, screen or inside handoff out of the single back formation. If Diesel, Hampton and Smith can't clog holes, it'll be a long day.

Palmer is a very accurate passer, he is better than any of the QBs we have actually lost to this season, so he is always dangerous. If The Steelers allow the Bengals to get an early lead and gain confidence, it could be a rough day. Hopefully, Willie will get on track, our Offense will punish them with a balanced attack, we will get up early and make the Bengals hang their heads early.

HometownGal
11-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Ok, lets break down the Bengals and really get into the Guts of this week's opposition.

First and foremost, Chad Johnson Never has great games against the Steelers. In games we have lost to them in recent memory, it has always been Henry and Hushamama that have made the big plays and "killed" us.

their defense isn't great, its 28th, but that just means we can look for a stunting 8 man front to get us out of our rushing game early and then they can pin back their ears and try to chase down Big Ben.

Their running game isn't great, but having to cover 3 main receivers will find us in a nickel often and that will open up lanes for the draw, screen or inside handoff out of the single back formation. If Diesel, Hampton and Smith can't clog holes, it'll be a long day.

Palmer is a very accurate passer, he is better than any of the QBs we have actually lost to this season, so he is always dangerous. If The Steelers allow the Bengals to get an early lead and gain confidence, it could be a rough day. Hopefully, Willie will get on track, our Offense will punish them with a balanced attack, we will get up early and make the Bengals hang their heads early.

While a divisional rival usually puts my "radar" up, as long as our O doesn't turn the ball over and the D limits the Bungles' receivers (I'm not worried about Rudi or Watson) to short passes and doesn't give up the long ball, the Steelers should get Win #9. CJ doesn't worry me at all - he won't have the game he had last week against the Steelers D, but IBoinkedHenry'sMama is always a concern, as I believe him to be the more potent of the two. Chris Henry will be lurking out there, but he'll be too busy scoping the stands for a high school cheerleader or majorette to seduce with a bottle of Wild Irish Rose after the game.

The Duke
11-28-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm not underestimating CJ, even though he hasn't had good games against our D in a long long time that could change this sunday, who knows....

They have an awful D so I just hope Arians lets Ben come out throwing to give us a lead while we let Harrison and the rest of the crew beat up Palmer.

This will be the real test for our pass D, they're #1 right now so I want to see how they do against a very talented group of receivers

stillers4me
11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
They'll be too busy tip toeing through the mud........

I ain't afraid of no Bungles.

Steel_Bus_24
11-28-2007, 05:48 PM
I know Im tired of watching the Steelers gift wrap games for those scumbags at Heinz .

It stops now! I want to see Palmer and Johnson's faces in the mud all game long.

Lets go Steelers...Its time to get your heads out of your asses and play physical Steelers Football!!

Stlrs4Life
11-28-2007, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't count out CJ yet. He's still not a bad receiver. Will be a huge test for our D this weekend.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Ike will handle CJ.....He always does....All you have to due is get physical with CJ and he folds like a deck of cards.......Now TJ Humpshismama and Chris "Thug Life" Henry always burn us.......Mainly since Henry is such a mis match as the Bengals 3rd WR......Even though Thug Life is an idiot he is still a very talented football player......So the Steelers better be prepared to score some points...With Thug Life back I expect the Bengals to score more then 13 points like they did in the first game against us this year......

I still like the Steelers big time in this game.......The Bengals D won't stop us....

Steelers 34 Bengals 23

Now if its another game in the slop....Then who knows...lol

HometownGal
11-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Now if its another game in the slop....Then who knows...lol

Just might be. The weather forecast thus far for Sunday is - dare I say it -

Sunday (24 hours): Showers. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 30s.

I'm hoping the forecast will change. My heart can't take another game like that. :willy:

TackleMeBen
11-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Just might be. The weather forecast thus far for Sunday is - dare I say it -

I'm hoping the forecast will change. My heart can't take another game like that. :willy:

does that mean we will have to send the punter over to give you cpr??:flap:

revefsreleets
11-28-2007, 08:25 PM
For some strange reason, I'm always at the Bungles game in the 'Burgh. And we always lose when I'm there.

I'm not going this year.

The Bungs will come out tossing the ball around. If we can shut that down early, we will dominate them. The Bengals are a bad team with almost nothing left in the tank. Their back can easily be broken. But we need to crush their spirit fast. If they get a cheap early TD they'll actually start thinking they can beat us, and we'll have a game on our hands.

tony hipchest
11-28-2007, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't count out CJ yet. He's still not a bad receiver. Will be a huge test for our D this weekend.this could be the weekend he finally crosses the goaline vs. the steelers. i bet the bengals whole gameplan revolves around it, win or lose.

this is their season. their fans would gladly give up the rest of the games if they could beat the steelers and end it on that note. the players wont have anything left to play for if they win this game. this week is their superbowl and the steelers have to prepare as such. this game (like week 3 last year ) could very well be their playoffs.

i suggest the steelers play like the hunter and not the hunted. that almost always leads to victory.

steelpride12
11-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Im looking at this game perticularly hard because i feel it could be a trap. Cincy last week plays good game against a tough defense just missing Haynesworth and puts up 35 points 3 by passing.
We need to be in tip top shape next week and i pray no injuries i feel the Bungles will want revenge and we usually split with them anyway.
I feel we can still easily score on their defense as long as o-line plays pretty good.
Defense we have to be on our feet to shut the run down first them work on their air asssault.
Just saying now don't over look this game like we all did for the jets, cards, an broncos!

CantStop85
11-29-2007, 01:38 AM
It looks like it's gonna be hard for the Steelers to stop the Bengals through the air...you can't cover CJ, TJ, and Henry all at the same time. And odds are the Bengals will be passing quite a bit as I wouldn't expect much over 60 yards in the running game.

Defensively, the Bengals are finally showing some signs of consistency, with a stable starting lineup. Dhani Jones has really stepped it up in the LB corps and Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph are starting to play like they were expected to. Still the Steelers should be able to score some points, that is unless the Bengals can get some pressure on Ben; something they haven't been able to do thus far this season.

Rhee Rhee
11-29-2007, 01:45 AM
im sorri if we don't have santonio holmes it will be a long battle... we just dont have a vertical threat that teams have to respect.. but anyway... our secondary is MUCH improved from last year... and not because of pressure.. half the time we rush three and drop 8 which has defintely helped us this year... but our running game has been suspect in basically every game so far except like the first couple.. so idk if we're gonna be runnin the ball against the 28th ranked D if we couldn't run it on the 32nd (broncos) and 30th (jets)

Galax Steeler
11-29-2007, 03:54 AM
It will be a good game but with some tough physical deffense we should beat the bungholes.

Crushzilla
11-29-2007, 04:04 AM
Its a shame he's such a scumbag, because Houshmandzadeh is an exceptional receiver. He's tough, he runs great routes, he's not afraid to get smashed (and the Steelers are more than happy to to do so), and he has great hands. He really is the better WR of the two, because he is consistent, where C.J. has a series of decent games, complemented with two or three huge ones a season. I feel that his stats are deceitful because of this.

Chris Henry's size, alone, is a cause for trouble. I hope that McFadden and Gay can play him physical and get some help from the safeties.

I'm not sure why, but the Steelers always have C.J.'s number. I'm not so worried about him getting a touchdown, but the defense can not allow him to dictate the game, which he certainly has the ability to do.

The running game does not concern me so much. They are running a platoon backfield with Johnson, Watson, and Dorsey, but none of them terrify me.

What it comes down to is what has been plaguing us all year. This offense is on two completely different ends of the spectrum. They are either extremely pedestrian or absolutely explosive. In terms of the long haul they HAVE to be clicking.

They have been mediocre the past few weeks and could certainly use the momentum going into next Sunday.

Steel Pit
11-29-2007, 05:05 AM
The Bengals! Let's think back and recall the 2 or 3 seasons prior to this season. Do you remember seeing the highlights from the high-flying Bengals aerial assault.
There were plenty of them but you simply aren't seeing them this season.

As I recall, most of the Bengals highlights were those of WR's running sideline streak routes along with the occasional fade pattern to the corner of the endzone. I used to get so frustrated because I just didn't understand WHY defenses were not taking this element of their game away. Streak patterns are very simple to stop and obviously, this year, opposing defenses have done just that, they've stopped the Bengals aerial assault.

Bengals WR's aren't fond of crossing the middle, they aren't fond of curl routes or screens, in fact, they aren't fond of any route that entails them taking a hit. When they do run an occasional crossing route the WR is usually receiving the ball near the sideline and he quickly runs out of bounds. The Bengals are a bunch of pansies. Their sissy-a$$ brand of offensive football is now out of business.

Let's keep one thing in mind when we analyze past games with our upcoming opponents. Those games were played and COACHED under the Cowher regime. We all know that if given a lead, Cowher would attempt to milk the clock beginning mid-way through the 3rd quarter. This allowed teams to hang around and many times it created unwarranted drama towards the end of the game.

We now have Tomlin and he didn't seem to have any problem waxing the Bengals a$$ earlier this season. I'm just anxious to see how Tomlin does against the Jaguars and the Patriots. There's a new Sheriff in town, and his name is Mike Tomlin.

X-Terminator
11-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Defense:

1. Pressure Palmer. He folds like a deck of cards when he's pressured and will make mistakes.

2. Be physical with the receivers, and make sure to make the tackle if and when they catch the ball. Douchemandzadeh is a tough guy, but CJ and Henry aren't, and if you hit them hard and often, you can get them out of their rhythm.

3. Get off the field on 3rd down. I don't think I need to tell anyone how important this is, especially against the Bungles' offense.

4. Special teams. This will be the first game in a while that they will not face a real kick/punt return threat, but they still need to be solid and not consistently give the Bungles good field position.

Offense:

1. Mix up the offensive playcalling. I'm sure the Bungles are going to load up to try to stop Willie, so here's hoping Bruce Arians decides to be less predictable. Throwing the ball more on first down would be a step in the right direction.

2. Call more short pass plays so that the OL spends less time in pass protection. This will obviously help to protect Ben and limit sacks. It will also back off the linebackers and safeties a bit, which should lead to...

3. Run the ball effectively. I'm sorry, but if the OL can't push around the Bungles' smallish DL and open up some holes for Willie and Najeh, then they truly are the worst line in the NFL.

4. Control the clock. The Bungles' offense can't score from the sideline.

5. NO TURNOVERS!

I predict a 34-21 Steelers victory.

revefsreleets
11-29-2007, 09:11 AM
IF the field is 10X better, it will still be terrible, and I think it negatively impact the
Bengals a lot more than the Steelers.

I suggest that CJ leave his classy gold teefs at home this week. When Smith knocks them out into the peat bog that is Heinz Field, they'll sink 3 feet into the muck and will be souvenirs for the grounds crew Monday morning.

Dino 6 Rings
11-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks folks for all the input on the bengals and your assessment of the game. That was my first Post Thread Starter and it was great to read "fans of the game" break it down.

Edman
11-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Steelers don't turn the ball over, they win. Simple as that.

The previous times they lost to Cincy, they turned the ball over several times and helped the Bengals with a few special teams gaffes (Tab Perry return in '05, Chokelee fumble in '06). Ben has to be smart with the football. And the Special Teams has to step up. Oh, and the O-Line has to block.

Oh, and Arians needs to get his head out of his ass.

geo123
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
True Ben needs a little more time, but he does have to be smart with the ball. They need to cut down on the sacks and turnovers.
Ben needs to step up as well the last two wins were squeekers; we need to show we can put some points up.

alittlejazzbird
11-29-2007, 02:05 PM
does that mean we will have to send the punter over to give you cpr??:flap:

Only if he stops at my house after HTG's - and my preference is for mouth to mouth rescuscitation, please. :wink02:

In all seriousness, I was a complete wreck after Monday's game. I can't handle another one like that in a 7-day window. If the Bengals play us close, I don't think I can take it.

I'm not convinced that the Bengals' talent level was reflected in their win against the Titans last week; they're much closer to the 4-win dysfunctional organization than they are the 35-6 blowout winners. Tennessee has been folding like a deck of cards the last few games, and I didn't expect them to show much.

That said, I agree with others who have said the Bengals will consider this to be their Super Bowl, and will desperately want to return our New Year's Eve gift to them last year, which was us knocking them out of the playoffs.

I was much more certain a few weeks ago that we would beat the Bengals than I am now. We should beat them, and by a pretty decent margin. However, despite my whining about the constant lovefest, I do think Carson Palmer is a talented quarterback and he can beat us if we let him. Containing him with constant pressure should be priority #1, IMO. When he gets rattled, all sorts of entertaining things happen.

Atlanta Dan
11-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Bengals are a trendy upset pick of the week, with Peter King predicting Bengals win23-17.

http://www.fannation.com/peter_king_challenge/pickoff?bcnn=yes

I agree the Bengals looked good against the Titans, but I am throwing out the Monday night mess as any indicator as to how the Steelers are playing.

No question this is a huge game - loss here and things could snowball with Pats & Jags up next.

SteelerFanInCA
11-29-2007, 03:53 PM
The bungles usually play us tough but in the end I think we come out with the "W". I'm just hoping the field is not as bad as it was on Monday night.

Rain rain go away.

bratsinmybelly
11-29-2007, 05:04 PM
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/ravenman4/453958.jpg

I can't wait for Sunday Night!!!!!!!!

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

wadester47
11-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Yep I will be there- hope WE DAY THEM to death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelDogFan
11-30-2007, 08:31 AM
This is a rivalry game so we Know stats are out the window. The Bengals are playing better ball of late so look for this to be a good game.

Myself I am waiting for our Steelers to put together a complete football game. I know were 8-3 and two games up in the division but the team is not playing play-off caliber football. I hope down the stretch they string together so good games. Even when the Go to play the Pats I want them to win but also realize how incredible the Pats are. If its a close game in the forth quarter and we lose that would be fine just don't get blown out.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 08:33 AM
...Suck

'nuff said

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Peter King's take..

Cincinnati Bengals (4-7) at Pittsburgh Steelers (8-3)
Chad Johnson loves the chances of the Bengals to run the table down the stretch and make a legitimate run at a 9-7 record, giving them an outside shot at the playoffs ... and I'm dumb enough to believe him. Question is, what kind of surface will the Bengals be playing on? Chewed-up turf, or quicksand?

Bengals 23, Steelers 17

http://www.fannation.com/peter_king_challenge/pickoff

LLT's Take....

Steelers Forum (117-0) PatsFool (0-117)
Bandwagon jumpers love the chance to pretend to have cheered for "their" team for fabricated durations of time. This is often shown in the inability to talk actual football but rather just flames existing threads. Question is, who will he cheer for next year? The Colts? The Steelers?

Steelers Forum 118, PatsFool 0

fansince'76
11-30-2007, 11:06 AM
LLT's Take....

Steelers Forum (117-0) PatsFool (0-117)
Bandwagon jumpers love the chance to pretend to have cheered for "their" team for fabricated durations of time. This is often shown in the inability to talk actual football but rather just flames existing threads. Question is, who will he cheer for next year? The Colts? The Steelers?

Steelers Forum 118, PatsFool 0

And if he doesn't knock it off, he's going to find himself :banned: very quickly.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 11:10 AM
:jammin::cheers::jammin:And if he doesn't knock it off, he's going to find himself :banned: very quickly.

X-Terminator
11-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I keep the little pissant on ignore, but it doesn't really work too well when other posters quote him.

Know what I mean, jellybean?

Dino 6 Rings
11-30-2007, 04:27 PM
As long as we can pressure Palmer effectively for most of the game, shut down their Screens and Draws running game and perform up to our own standards on offense, we should win this one. Its all about an early jump on the Bengals, they aren't a "come back" team this season, they are more a get out big and hold on. So if we can avoid that, and punish them early, they'll start their "inner turmoil" by halftime and the game could be locked up by early in the 3rd.

Just hope the Special Teams are "fixed" and that we don't let up any stupid big plays. Nothing gives the "underdog" momentum like a big kick return.

stillers4me
11-30-2007, 04:29 PM
As long as we can pressure Palmer effectively for most of the game, shut down their Screens and Draws running game and perform up to our own standards on offense, we should win this one. Its all about an early jump on the Bengals, they aren't a "come back" team this season, they are more a get out big and hold on. So if we can avoid that, and punish them early, they'll start their "inner turmoil" by halftime and the game could be locked up by early in the 3rd.

Just hope the Special Teams are "fixed" and that we don't let up any stupid big plays. Nothing gives the "underdog" momentum like a big kick return.

.....or a dropped ball at their goal line. :banging:

Dino 6 Rings
11-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Oh yeah, dropped balls at their goal line are never a good thing.

Just want to see a solid game in all 4 phases of the game, offense, defense, special teams and coaching. Be consistant and agressive and end it early. Don't give them any hope.

PalmerSteel
11-30-2007, 05:10 PM
key points that concerns me that are different than the1st meeting are chris henry and rudi johnson are playing. with our D injuries, this could be a problem. need a big game out of willie like we normally do against cincy. i really hope they have that field in order!

cubanstogie
11-30-2007, 07:03 PM
we are the better team, therefore no turnovers we win. If only it were that simple. The Steelers passing D is only giving up 150 or so yards, thats phenomenal. I definitely see the Bengals throwing for more than 250, but I think we can hold them to field goals and win fairly easily if Ben has any time at all to throw. On a separate note, I don't recall running many screens this year, or a shovel pass. While I admit Ben no Elway when it comes the the shovel, I think those 2 types of plays would be very effective this year due to pressure on Ben. It seems that under Cowher we ran screens a lot, correct me if I am wrong.

geo123
11-30-2007, 07:33 PM
A couple of others touched on the subjects:
Under Cowher they tried too work the clock; I always hated that.
Play a complete game, score points(TD's) whenever you can. We've all sen substatial leads evaporate too quickly in this leage.

No team is going to win a lot of games scoring 17 pts. even with the best D.
Avoiding turnovers is always big-especially when they come from sacks.
Which leads me to QB protection... it hasn't been good lately.

HometownGal
11-30-2007, 08:28 PM
key points that concerns me that are different than the1st meeting are chris henry and rudi johnson are playing. with our D injuries, this could be a problem. need a big game out of willie like we normally do against cincy. i really hope they have that field in order!

Chris Henry could be a problem but I'm not at all worried about Rudi Johnson. He isn't going anywhere (and neither is Watson) against the Steelers DL. The Bungles will try to beat us on Cartoon's arm - the Steelers secondary has to be on top of their game.

Since Troy isn't playing on Sunday night, maybe Tyrone will knock out a few more of CJ's gold teef. :thumbsup:

TheWarDen86
11-30-2007, 08:45 PM
The Bengals

Dude! I hope you don't live in Ohio, you could get arrested for saying that.

stillers4me
12-01-2007, 05:21 PM
It was hours before kickoff, and Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer was still in sweatpants as he warmed up at Paul Brown Stadium.
Despite the relaxed atmosphere, Palmer was so perturbed after Anthony Smith accidentally bumped into him that Palmer stopped what he was doing just to glare at the Steelers free safety. After Smith had finished talking with Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson -- he had sought out the perennial Pro Bowler to remind him to wear his mouthpiece during the game -- Palmer said to Johnson, "Who is that?"

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_535636.html

I wonder if Carson remembers who Anthony Smith is this time around??? :chuckle:

jjpro11
12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
It was hours before kickoff, and Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer was still in sweatpants as he warmed up at Paul Brown Stadium.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_535636.html

I wonder if Carson remembers who Anthony Smith is this time around??? :chuckle:

funny considering johnson had his gold teeth knocked out in that game by smith. should have listened to sir anthony smith. :salute:

Tankus_Maximus
12-03-2007, 09:11 AM
It looks like it's gonna be hard for the Steelers to stop the Bengals through the air...you can't cover CJ, TJ, and Henry all at the same time. And odds are the Bengals will be passing quite a bit as I wouldn't expect much over 60 yards in the running game.

Defensively, the Bengals are finally showing some signs of consistency, with a stable starting lineup. Dhani Jones has really stepped it up in the LB corps and Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph are starting to play like they were expected to. Still the Steelers should be able to score some points, that is unless the Bengals can get some pressure on Ben; something they haven't been able to do thus far this season.

Guess they did a good enough job to keep all 3 of those bitches outta the endzone.

Nice try kid.

Go study Madden some more for your football knowledge, it's helped you out greatly so far.

The_WARDen
12-03-2007, 12:31 PM
The Bungles have been, are, and always will be the Bungles! I thoroughly enjoyed Chump Johnson running the 14 yard out on 4th and 17! Hilarious!

:tt02:

Tankus_Maximus
12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
The Bungles have been, are, and always will be the Bungles! I thoroughly enjoyed Chump Johnson running the 14 yard out on 4th and 17! Hilarious!

:tt02:

Yes....that was great....WHERE YA AT '85???

3 yards short of a 1st down!!!!!:tt02: