PDA

View Full Version : "Ricky Williams Victim of a Dirty Play"

Rhee Rhee
11-30-2007, 12:40 AM
as much as i respect SI and it's writers i can't help but think they make us soundd like the scum of the NFL... we are one of the NFl's most marquee and respected franchises... not just a peice of gum under the NFL's shoes...

Rick Cranford of Seattle is my E-mailer of the Week for sending me back to my tape for something I'd originally overlooked. Rick points out that on the play that Ricky Williams was injured Monday night, OLB Lawrence Timmons, subbing for Clark Haggans, came down on Williams' back with his cleated shoe. He said it looked deliberate. He was surprised that neither the announcing crew nor Sports Illustrated's game notes made any mention of the play.

I remember seeing it at the time, but the idea of something like that is just so alien to what I'm used to that I glossed right over it. After I read his e-mail I ran the play back, both at regular speed and slow motion. It looked as if Timmons, in hurdling No. 70, Dolphin tackle L.J. Shelton, inadvertently came down on Williams' back. But then the replay, close up, showed Timmons deliberately veering off and coming down hard with his left foot to pin Williams to the ground and keep him from recovering his fumble. An absolutely filthy play, and I'm glad Rick pointed it out to me and annoyed that it didn't strike home right away. Wonder how the league is going to handle this one -- if at all........

Dr Z. Wrote this one btw

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/11/29/williams/index.html?eref=mostpop

Black@Gold Forever32
11-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Dr. Z can go suck a a goat off for all I care......lol I hate that guy.....

tony hipchest
11-30-2007, 12:59 AM
it wasnt dirty. he was reacting to the ball while almost in mid air, with no regard with what was below his feet.

he was playing on instinct and doing what he was taught. unfortunately the same injury probably woulda happened if it had been a steeler player lying where ricky was.

i was rooting for ricky. i was hoping he could turn it around and like randy moss, prove a stoner could find success in the nfl.

fdp
11-30-2007, 12:59 AM
This is an excerpt of a Miami Herald article from Wednesday
************************************************** ******************************************
Torn muscle ends Ricky's season
Miami Herald
David J Neal

Timmons' step on the back caused Williams to sustain a torn pectoral muscle that ended his 2007 season after six carries.

''Evidently, his bone got separated from the muscle in his shoulder,'' Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, said in a voice mail Tuesday evening. ``He'll be in a sling for four to six weeks, and it will take about five months to rehab. The Dolphins would like him to stay there to rehab in Miami.
[...]
(Digression: after reviewing the film, the Dolphins don't plan to complain to the NFL about the play because they believe Timmons' step was just an unfortunate accident as he headed for the loose ball.)

************************************************** *****************************************

So I think I will believe the Dolphins over Dr Z

MACH1
11-30-2007, 01:07 AM
As I said before if he wouldn't of fumbled he would not have been stepped on.

wadester47
11-30-2007, 01:25 AM
OH well ,

please check my meter- that's right I didn't plug it in?

I hate SI

fansince'76
11-30-2007, 01:30 AM
SI - 'nuff said. Consider the source. :coffee:

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 01:55 AM
F- SI.

F - Ricky Williams.

Thankfully I canceled SI after XL.

Rhee Rhee
11-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Thankfully I canceled SI after XL.

good call very good call...:thumbsup:

jjpro11
11-30-2007, 05:02 AM
lets see that little ******* play on a field like that and try to recover a fumble batling out 11 other guys.

i hope timmons has a friggin mean streak.. i miss guys like lloyd that literally scared the shit out of their opponents.

Galax Steeler
11-30-2007, 05:10 AM
dr z sucks who cares what he thinks if it was a dirty play then timmons would be fined.

Steel Pit
11-30-2007, 06:33 AM
I think that Timmons took Larry Foote's celebration antic a little too serious.

HometownGal
11-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Rick Cranford of Seattle

:crying01::crying01::crying01:

An absolutely filthy play, and I'm glad Rick pointed it out to me and annoyed that it didn't strike home right away.

Actually, I'm annoyed that some big brute that you've unfairly dissed hasn't kicked your a$$ yet.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Timmons is already a better Football player than Dr Z will ever be a writer....and Timmons hasnt shown me much yet.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 07:46 AM
SI - 'nuff said. Consider the source. :coffee:

My bird wont even crap on SI pages in the bottom of its cage. I'm not sure if its because it doesnt want to be redundant or if its out of a wish to not improve the magazines content.

SteelersMongol
11-30-2007, 07:58 AM
My bird wont even crap on SI pages in the bottom of its cage. I'm not sure if its because it doesnt want to be redundant or if its out of a wish to not improve the magazines content.

:toofunny: Ha ha ha. Dr. Z is an arrogant fool. BTW, I never understood why is he calling himself a Dr.? Is it kind of like Dr. Dre?

HometownGal
11-30-2007, 08:59 AM
BTW, I never understood why is he calling himself a Dr.? Is it kind of like Dr. Dre?

No. He's a proctologist.

DACEB
11-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Timmons meant no harm
Friday, November 30, 2007
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons received some heat on Miami sports talk radio after he stepped on Dolphins linebacker Ricky Williams during a play when the two teams met, some thinking that the move was intentional. Williams was placed on injured reserve with a torn pectoral muscle.

But Timmons was simply trying to make a play, as Williams fumbled the ball on the carry.

“When you are running fast all I saw was the ball,” said Timmons. “I was going at that the whole time. I would never do anybody like that. I am not a dirty player, I have way more respect for the game than that. I definitely wouldn’t do anything to a player like that with the way he just came back and having gone through all of the stuff he went through. No way, I would never do that.”

According to the Miami Herald the Dolphins reviewed the film and don’t plan to contact the NFL about it as they believe it was an accident as Timmons was going for the ball.

Sorry, I posted in the TIMMONS thread also

steelwolf21
11-30-2007, 09:53 AM
I really respect Dr Z, yes just like other sports writers he's only right about 60% of the time, but he has so much experience with the game, is a pretty good journalist, and an interesting read. I always look forward to reading his stuff on si.com. That being said, they replayed that step on channel 5 a couple of additional times and I really don't know how he can say Timmons deliberately veered out of his way to step on Williams' back. It was a scramble on muck, if he had the cerebral capacity and reactions to diagnose all that was going on, attempt to pick up a muddy ball, and still go out of his way to delbierately step on William's shoulder I say he needs a career change. A man with those reactions should be flying a raptor or something! As for Dr Z, give the guy a break he's approaching 90 at least, his eye sights gotta be pretty shot!

Mosca
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Huh. I'm the guy who was questioning Smith's hit on Chatman,, and I thought this one was unintentional.

KYSteelersfan
11-30-2007, 11:51 AM
He was surprised that neither the announcing crew nor Sports Illustrated's game notes made any mention of the play.

There is a reason nobody made any mention of this.....

IT WASN'T A DIRTY PLAY MORON

rbryan
11-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Running on top of Ricky made more sense than trying to get decent footing in the mudhole he avoided when he stepped on him.

Lets see, some douchebag from Seattle, Dr.Z, and the seven fans left in Miami had a problem with it. I can live with that.

aries4972
11-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Timmons did what he has been taught to do since his pop-warner days. Seperate the ball from the man and go for it. This is FOOTBALL ladies and gentleman.

stlrtruck
11-30-2007, 02:42 PM
I've got an idea that can help Ricky prevent any future injuries just like this one... and it's really quite simple:

HOLD ON TO THE BALL!!!!!!

KYSteelersfan
11-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I've got an idea that can help Ricky prevent any future injuries just like this one... and it's really quite simple:

HOLD ON TO THE BALL!!!!!!

Kind of hard to hold on to the ball, roll your joint and light all at the same time :toofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
11-30-2007, 04:26 PM
It the ball was filled with pot, he would have never dropped it.

memphissteelergirl
11-30-2007, 04:51 PM
It wasn't like he did it on purpose, like Albert Haynesworth from the Titans did last season. That cost him some cash and he was suspended for several games.

It was incidental...and in that swamp of a field I could see how it was hard for anyone to get proper footing.

Stupid a** sports writers looking for controversy where there is none.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-30-2007, 05:10 PM
prove a stoner could find success in the nfl.

Ohhh there is plenty of proof. I thought it was mandatory in the NBA. What Ricky needs to prove is he can be a stoner and NOT get caught.

SteelerFanInCA
11-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Dr Z. is an idiot. Never liked that guy, never will. Even the Dolphins watched the tape on it and saw it was not intentional.

Just another dumb a s s writer trying to stir crap up again. :dang:

Dino 6 Rings
11-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Isn't this the 2nd time that Nurse Z has made it on these boards with some Anti-Steelers comment? I'm pretty sure that "punk ass biatch" is just a "hater".

Ef Him and Ef his article. It wasn't a dirty play, the dolphins flat out said, "it wasn't intentional" and that's that.

MJ5150
11-30-2007, 05:51 PM
No surprise a still mad Scoobyhawk brought it up. The people I work with are still mentioning this to me at work every day........ :shake01:

-Mike

nojobny
12-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Timmons says stepping on Williams wasn't deliberate

Saturday, December 01, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lawrence Timmons grew up in Florence, S.C., but he has family members in Miami who are Dolphins fans. So he was not surprised when he received a text message on his cell phone from them after Monday night's game.

But he was surprised by the message.

U mssd up r rcky wllms.

"They really like Ricky Williams," Timmons said. "I even like Ricky Williams. When I was in high school, I used to pretend to be him."

Timmons, a rookie linebacker and the Steelers' No. 1 draft choice, did not know what his relatives were referring to in their text message. But he quickly discovered.

Williams, who was playing in his first game after being reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, tore his right pectoral muscle against the Steelers and will not play the remainder of the season. Williams was injured when Timmons stepped on his back trying to recover a fumble by Williams in the second quarter.

"They said, 'You messed up our Ricky Williams,' and I didn't know what they were talking about," Timmons said. "They said, 'You didn't have to put him out for the season like that,' and I was like, what? I didn't know I stepped on him. I was looking at the ball the whole time. I didn't even feel it.

"I just had my eye on the ball."

Timmons recovered the fumble, but only after accidentally stepping on Williams' back when the Dolphins running back was prone on the ground, his right arm extended in attempt to recover his fumble.

Before his injury, Williams had six carries for 15 yards in his first NFL game since being suspended in 2005 for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He had surgery Thursday to repair the pectoral muscle.

Timmons was criticized on talk shows in Miami for deliberately stepping on Williams, a charge he vehemently denies. However, according to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins reviewed film of the incident and believe it was an accident.

"I would never do anything like that," Timmons said. "I'm not that kind of player. I have too much respect for Ricky Williams or any player to do that."

It was more notoriety than Timmons anticipated against the Dolphins, a game in which he was used in the team's dime defensive package as a replacement for injured Troy Polamalu.

Because Polamalu plays near the line of scrimmage and acts more like a linebacker in that package, the Steelers wanted to replace him with a linebacker who can run. Timmons and inside linebacker Larry Foote split the duty.

Timmons will get to repeat the role tomorrow against the Cincinnati Bengals (4-7) because Polamalu is expected to miss his second game in a row with a sprained knee.

"He has coverage ability and he has blitzing ability," said linebackers coach Keith Butler. "We feel he fits that role well because he has both."

Using Timmons in that package is a sign he is assimilating the intricacies of the team's defensive schemes and an indication of the confidence the coaches have in his development.

Butler only wishes Timmons didn't miss so much time in training camp because of a groin injury.

"He's come a long way," Butler said. "It's a shame we didn't have him earlier when a lot of the learning is going on. But he's done a good job to pick it up."

Said Timmons: "It's something for them to put me in there like that. It was nice. I got time to be on the field during the core part of the game. It was a great experience for me, a great experience to learn for me."

Even if he did disappoint his relatives and end Ricky Williams' season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07335/838356-66.stm

steelergirl07
12-01-2007, 04:20 PM
I saw the play, and I don't believe he did it on purpose. I'm glad the Miami Dolphines realize that.

HometownGal
12-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Combined with existing thread on the same topic.

Folks - we appreciate your input, but please check before posting a new thread to see if there is an existing thread on the same subject. Thanks!

fansince'76
12-01-2007, 04:34 PM
I saw the play, and I don't believe he did it on purpose. I'm glad the Miami Dolphines realize that.

Agreed - it seems the only ones I've seen with a problem with it are a senile old fool that writes for SI and a bitter Cryhawks fan that "pointed it out" to him.

steelcity58
12-01-2007, 05:21 PM
SI is one of the worst rags in print in my humble opinion.

Yeah they have great photos, but their writers are way over-rated.

They are the USA Today of the sports mag world.

As far as Williams being stepped on.

Hey..it's slick out there...our guy was making a cut and did not see him.

If you don't want to be stepped on...don't fall down.

Simple.

steelcity58
12-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Also, this is FOOTBALL.

A game for men, and supposed to be played by men.

Quit your bellyaching and go get the bong and ganja to help you cope I guess.

Stlrs4Life
12-01-2007, 05:24 PM
No You Tube Video of it yet?

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2007, 05:40 PM
I didn't know I stepped on him. I was looking at the ball the whole time. I didn't even feel it.

:toofunny: i guess he thought it was a dry solid clump of sod.....best traction he had all day !!! :sofunny:

lotas
12-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Like someone said, he's from Seattle. I goto school there and its ridiculous being a Steeler fan, I'm called a "traitor" and a bad fan by this girl when she couldn't tell me 5 players on the 2004 team. Their fans are terrible, if they can even be called fans.