PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to the Heinz Field grounds crew

Stu Pidasso
11-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Thank you.

Thank you for the hard work you do every day, making the best of what is given to you. I know you have been maligned in the media for the last week for the field conditions, but I do not see any way you could have done anything more to get the field ready. You did your job, Mother Nature let you down. I doubt anybody reading this could replace an entire football field in a day. Hell, I can't trim my hedges in a weekend, and I only have two.

Again, thank you. Your hard work did not go unnoticed by me.

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 12:57 AM
P.S. - Good luck this weekend. Sounds like your going to need it going by our local weather reports. :wink02:

Stillers43
11-30-2007, 10:55 AM
It was definately not the grounds crew's fault. The field has drainage issues and it was only made worse by laying sod on sod. They need field turf!!!!

SCSTILLER
11-30-2007, 12:33 PM
It was definately not the grounds crew's fault. The field has drainage issues and it was only made worse by laying sod on sod. They need field turf!!!!

Have to disagree with you on this one 43, please no field turf. Yes, our field is the worst in the league, but it is an advantage to us. Much like the way the old parkay (ok, don't know how to spell the word exactly) floor in the Boston Garden was for the Celtics. I personally beleive that all field turf should be torn up and all domes should have the roofs removed. Football was made to be played in the mud and elements. I know, the injury issue always comes up with our field, but I prefer watching a game on grass anyday!

ShutDown24
11-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Oh thank god... I was about to come in here and rip someones head off (verbally of course lol) because I thought it was another bashing of the grounds crew... WHo cares what the field is like as long as you can play... This is football not some indoor pansy sports so if there is weather you deal with it.

Field turf is more dangerous than natural grass barring extreme conditions like that of Monday night by the way.

plenewken
11-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Oh thank god... I was about to come in here and rip someones head off (verbally of course lol) because I thought it was another bashing of the grounds crew... WHo cares what the field is like as long as you can play... This is football not some indoor pansy sports so if there is weather you deal with it.

Field turf is more dangerous than natural grass barring extreme conditions like that of Monday night by the way.

There is no 100% natural grass field in the NFL to begin with. The Steelers, Broncos and Packers play on DD Grassmaster which is grass combined with synthetic fibers.
And as far as field turf being more dangerous, do you have statistics to prove it? I'd like to see them. Recent progress in technology makes the turf like the one used in Cincinnati or Boston or ....... the Steelers' practice facility very close to natural grass. We're not talking about 3 Rivers' carpet anymore.

I hope the Steelers switch to FieldTurf as soon as possible and stop the insanity. Pittsburgh is not Phoenix or Miami.

"In the most recent playing surface survey of its membership conducted by the NFL Players Association in 2006, Heinz Field was voted the second-worst grass playing surface in the league, right after New England's Gillette Stadium. But since that survey, the Patriots tore out their grass and installed FieldTurf.

That means the players now consider Heinz the worst grass field in the league. Even their own players judged it the worst. Of the 48 Steelers players polled in the survey, 25 of them rated Heinz Field as "poor" and 16 as "fair". Only seven rated it "good" and none "excellent.' "

SteelerFanInCA
11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
That's what I don't get. If the field was rated as one of the worst, why do the majority our our players still want it? It doesn't make sense.

GeneralRobinson
11-30-2007, 04:23 PM
That's what I don't get. If the field was rated as one of the worst, why do the majority our our players still want it? It doesn't make sense.

Because they play well on it (16-4 record since 2003 over the last half of our home schedule and playoffs) and grass has more give to it, which results in less wear and tear on players' bodies.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Mother Nature let you down.

Did she? For all we know she may have helped us win that game.

Now we can group sod farmers and oil execs. together in conspiracy conjures.