View Full Version : 'D' provides a lesson in violence

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Steelers 'D' provides a lesson in violence
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 30, 2007

This is all Mike Tomlin's doing.

Tomlin has put a new face on the Steelers' top-rated defense. By going out of his way on several occasions to describe his defense as "violent,'' Tomlin is sending a clear message to his players, not to mention the entire NFL.

"The most violent and most physical teams usually win football games,'' Tomlin said.

"Violent'' isn't a word that the media or football fans embrace easily.

In fact, not all of Tomlin's peers are comfortable with his use of that particular word.
"I think most coaches in the league talk to their guys about being physical,''

Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel said. "If violent and physical are the same thing, then Mike falls right in line with everybody else.''

Yet, Tomlin is perfectly comfortable using the word that football coaches normally avoid when describing how they want their teams to play.

And Tomlin's players are totally at ease following his lead.

"That's part of our motto,'' free safety Anthony Smith said. "We go out there and hit hard and try to make the other team quit.''

"As a secondary, you try to intimidate the receiver, look for the big hit,'' strong safety Tyrone Carter said. "Try to take a cat's head off.''

Carter was asked to repeat what he said.

"Take ... his ... head ... off,'' said a half-joking, half-serious Carter, who raised his voice and spoke slowly for emphasis.

The Steelers were at their intimidating, violent best during Monday night's 3-0 win over Miami at Heinz Field.

To wit:

? Outside linebacker James Harrison crushed quarterback John Beck on a sack that resulted in Beck shaking his hand in discomfort following the play.

? Rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons accidentally (on purpose?) stepped on running back Ricky Williams while recovering Williams' fumble. Williams is out for the season after having surgery to repair a torn right pectoral muscle.

? Smith KO'd running back Jesse Chatman with a brutal tackle that knocked Chatman to his knees and forced him from the game with a neck injury.

"Sent him to the sideline. That's violent, man,'' said Carter, who replaced injured starter Troy Polamalu and recorded a career-high 12 tackles. "Not saying it was illegal. It was a legal hit. As long as you stay within the rules.''

The Steelers held Miami to 159 total yards in recording their second shutout of the season. The last time the Steelers recorded two shutouts in a season was 2000.

Fundamentally as well as physically, the Steelers have the best defense in the NFL.

"We're hitting on all cylinders right now -- defensive line, linebackers and secondary,'' Smith said. "We're just out there hitting people, making our presence felt.''

The Steelers are No. 1 in total defense, No. 1 in scoring defense, No. 1 in passing defense, and No. 2 in run defense. They're playing with a controlled level of violence that Tomlin wouldn't have any other way.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_540401.html

fansince'76
11-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Good for Tomlin and I'm glad the players are buying into it. Football IS a violent game, and it's refreshing to see someone not be wishy-washy or PC about it.

Rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons accidentally (on purpose?) stepped on running back Ricky Williams while recovering Williams' fumble. Williams is out for the season after having surgery to repair a torn right pectoral muscle.

Et tu, Mr. Harris? I'm sorry, but when I see Ben take the kind of hits he does that aren't called that would draw automatic flags and probably fines for the players if the same hits were put on Mr. Metro, Manning or Carson, I don't want to hear it. I'm sorry the pothead got hurt, but again, football IS a violent game.

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Man catches ball, other man attempts to take his head off. What's wrong with that? Isn't that what the game is all about? It's bad enough we have QB's wrapped in a plastic bubble in this day and age, now saying the word "violent" when it comes to your defense is now a bad thing?

How many times are you sitting in your seat at Heinz Field or in a sports bar watching the game and you hear somebody scream "Take his ****ing head off!!!"? Are you hoping for an injury? No. But you are hoping for the type of hit that sends shivers down your spine and hopefully causes a fumble or makes that WR think twice when going across the middle the next time around. There's a reason why it's not baseball or golf.

TackleMeBen
11-30-2007, 10:01 AM
i am glad to see that tomlin doesnt care if he is PC or not. football is a violent sport and if you dont like then go figure skating or something..lol..
'76 you kill me with some of your names...lol. mr. metro.. i love it.. and i agree with you about ben taking hits that would be automatic flags on the three wimpy qbs(we all know who they are):wink02:

DACEB
11-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Man catches ball, other man attempts to take his head off. What's wrong with that? Isn't that what the game is all about? It's bad enough we have QB's wrapped in a plastic bubble in this day and age, now saying the word "violent" when it comes to your defense is now a bad thing?

How many times are you sitting in your seat at Heinz Field or in a sports bar watching the game and you hear somebody scream "Take his ****ing head off!!!"? Are you hoping for an injury? No. But you are hoping for the type of hit that sends shivers down your spine and hopefully causes a fumble or makes that WR think twice when going across the middle the next time around. There's a reason why it's not baseball or golf.

Absolutely, you said what I've been thinking and posting for a while.

Would Ronnie Lott have ended up a HOFer in todays game or THE dirtiest player.

Sometimes a player may be far more talented than the opposition (ie Randy Moss) but lay a few good licks on him and he shrivles into his shell and disappears from the game.

Tomlin has spoken about being violent on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately the O-line hasn't got the message.

Way to go Tomlin, let's go D "Take his ****ing head off!!!" :tt02:

jjpro11
11-30-2007, 10:21 AM
romeo, your defense is soft and the worst in the league.. all your credibility about defense gets thrown out the window. nothing you say is relevant.

Edman
11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
If our O-Line had that same mentality and toughness as the D, the Steelers would be 10-1 or Undefeated right now. The only guy on that line with that mean streak I can think of is Willie Colon. The rest, Not so sure.

The FO needs to get some maulers and walls on that line.

The D has been the most consistent unit on the team this season. There is no debate.

Dino 6 Rings
11-30-2007, 05:45 PM
So Some fool asks me, "who's your favorite team in the NFL"

I answer, "The MOST VIOLENT ONE"

he askes, "Which team is that?"

I answer...by punching him in the face and leaving an imprint of my Steelers Ring on his forehead. "That one"

Yes, I like the MOST VIOLENT TEAM in Football. So happy that Lambert was a violent player.

skinart82
11-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Now this is what I'm talkin about!!!!!! Make the rest of the NFL scared to play against you, make them actually get worried about the rest of thier career!. In 2005 there was a poll on which teamsplayers thought had the most punishing D and all around made you hurt for a week after playing them, The Steelers were voted #1!

tony hipchest
11-30-2007, 09:18 PM
So Some fool asks me, "who's your favorite team in the NFL"

I answer, "The MOST VIOLENT ONE"

he askes, "Which team is that?"

I answer...by punching him in the face and leaving an imprint of my Steelers Ring on his forehead. "That one"

Yes, I like the MOST VIOLENT TEAM in Football. So happy that Lambert was a violent player.

:chuckle:

shame on that fool!

RoethlisBURGHer
11-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Hell yeah. I like the fact that our defense is violent.

I can't wait to see Crotcho Stinko, TJ Shoebomber, and the Jail Cell Kid get jacked up on SNF!

Is it bad to be this pumped up Friday night for a game that isn't played until Sunday night?

ExtonSteelFan
12-01-2007, 11:22 AM
This article just gets me fired up! I love how Tomlin has these players thinking on Defense. The hard nosed nature of this defense just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :sofunny:

rbryan
12-01-2007, 02:23 PM
I love it. I can't wait till tomorrow night.

Speaking of violent D, I'm curious to see how the Patsies get thru the next two weeks. Between the Ratbirds playing thier SB this Monday night and the Stillers next week, I think somebodies about to get thier feelings hurt in Beantown.

Dino 6 Rings
12-05-2007, 08:25 PM
This just in, another fool asked me my favorite team...

now there are two fools walking around with a Steelers ring imprint on their foreheads...

stillers4me
12-05-2007, 09:35 PM
This just in, another fool asked me my favorite team...

now there are two fools walking around with a Steelers ring imprint on their foreheads...

Where have you been all my life............!! :wink02:

Dino 6 Rings
12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Today I wore my Bettis Jersey to work, which I wear a Jersey to work every Friday.

Some moron comes up to me and says. "So do you like the Steelers?"

That fool now has a Steelers imprint from my Ring on his forehead.

And I have a meeting with HR at 4pm.

geo123
12-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Why so angry?

Dino 6 Rings
12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
It isn't anger, its controlled Violence.

Stlr4ever
12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
That's all fine and dandy. But our defense was very non-violent in the Pats game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dino 6 Rings
12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
True, they will fix that and bring big sticks this week and from here on out.

Tomlin will not allow them to lay down any longer. It isn't allowed. Bring on the fools and lets get Violent.

steelpride12
12-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Ha Anthony Smith might get something good said about him in this thread.
Yes i feel our defense being violent is good i like aposing teams pissing there pants when they step on the field!