PDA

View Full Version : Oh Boy, John Dekker

blitzenburgh
11-30-2007, 08:54 AM
I am not really thrilled wih them brining him in due to Kreiders injury. There has to be a blocking FB somewhere out there that could help out in gving Willie holes to run through. I understand we like the 2/3 TE looks however having a good blocking FB once at the goaline would be great. Steelers let John Kuhn go and look what he has done for the Packers...caught what was almost a TD last night and made a killer block the very next play to help out on a TD. Davis is okay however we need a true FB on the roster, not one who is a converted one or a TE!

jjpro11
11-30-2007, 09:29 AM
it sucked seeing kuhn do well last night.. i didnt even realize he was on the packers until last night. they took away noah herron too, who ended up being rather productive for them. we still have gary russell though.

as for dekker, i have to say that i am glad to see he made the team. he was probably the nicest player i saw at training camp for 2 years in a row now. its really easy to pull for a guy like that who has his head on straight and is down to earth. i hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

fansince'76
11-30-2007, 09:31 AM
I am not really thrilled wih them brining him in due to Kreiders injury. There has to be a blocking FB somewhere out there that could help out in gving Willie holes to run through. I understand we like the 2/3 TE looks however having a good blocking FB once at the goaline would be great. Steelers let John Kuhn go and look what he has done for the Packers...caught what was almost a TD last night and made a killer block the very next play to help out on a TD. Davis is okay however we need a true FB on the roster, not one who is a converted one or a TE!

You do realize that the Packers still have no running game to speak of? The 62-yard run last night was probably by far the longest by any Packers RB all year. If Kuhn would have been worth keeping, he'd still be on the roster.

Infamix
11-30-2007, 09:40 AM
You do realize that the Packers still have no running game to speak of? The 62-yard run last night was probably by far the longest by any Packers RB all year. If Kuhn would have been worth keeping, he'd still be on the roster.

I thought their running game improved alot though, isn't Ryan Grant the leading NFL rusher since he's been inserted?

blitzenburgh
11-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I think the Packers have a pretty decent running game. With an unknown player in Grant who has almost 600 yards on the season and with the gun slinging type offense they have all the their backs are averaging over 4 yards a carry. But Kuhn would be a great asset to our team right now with Kreider out!

fansince'76
11-30-2007, 09:46 AM
I think the Packers have a pretty decent running game.

Is that why they're ranked 30th in the league in rushing offense? Favre has carried that team this year, period.

blitzenburgh
11-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Well with the type of offense they have, nobody expects them to be anywhere near the top, But with the RB's they do have, when they do run, they are effective. Grant is averaging 1 more yard per carry than Willie and has more TD's!

fansince'76
11-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Well with the type of offense they have, nobody expects them to be anywhere near the top, But with the RB's they do have, when they do run, they are effective. Grant is averaging 1 more yard per carry than Willie and has more TD's!

That's kind of the reason they run the type of offense they run - their running game is a liability, not a strength. As a team, they're averaging 3.8 ypc, and as a team, we're averaging 4.2 ypc with a LOT more rushing attempts overall.

blitzenburgh
11-30-2007, 11:41 AM
I do not think is is much of a liabilty but rather a lesser strengh compared to the passing game. They are 2nd in passing we are 22nd so is our passing game a liability with 21 other teams better than us? Not trying to sound like I am pro GB lol but I just do not agree that a passing team does not run because of their RB's being liabilities.

fansince'76
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Considering that we're 3rd in the league in yards-per-pass-attempt (8.1), no, passing isn't a liability for us either. Using this metric, the Packers are behind us on this count as well. Total yards isn't the real issue - yards per attempt be it rushing or passing is. The Packers are also 21st in the league in ypc in the running game at 3.8. Their running game is a liability.

blitzenburgh
11-30-2007, 01:02 PM
If their running game was a liability they would not have the record they do nor have someone who did not even start at RB doing pretty good. Grant did not even start up until week 8 and hads 588 yards on the ground. Prior to week 8 he had only 6 carries. So yea, at the get go it was a liability but now they found their man to jump start the running game so to say it is now in which the stats do not lie, will contradict your opinion.

iloveben7
11-30-2007, 02:09 PM
John Dekker is such a nice guy, I got to meet him earlier this year at my highschool when the Steelers basketball team played the teachers. To be honest, I don't think he can block.

moedap
11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Using all of the pre-season coach talk as a determining factor I liked the idea of C. Davis playing fullback. They said the Offense was going to utilize all of the weapons. I havent seen that philosophy consistenly gameplanned. Its like one series I see it and the next 2 I see smashmouth.

N.E., Dallas, and Indiannapolis have their offensive philosophy set in stone. All of them utilize all of their weapons. Its the offense required to play all of the 3-4's out there now that are designed to stop the run and west coast.

I wonder how many games we have won when Ben has passed to 6 or more and 4 or more have run the ball.

19ward86
11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
moedap, i have also noticed that, we started the year running counters, screens, and qb rollouts as our main plays, we have gone to the fake screen delay play which never works in the NFL. we havnt thrown to heath in about 2 weeks. we need to go back to the basics, bruce arians can be good but he needs to be consistent first.

blitzenburgh
11-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Using all of the pre-season coach talk as a determining factor I liked the idea of C. Davis playing fullback. They said the Offense was going to utilize all of the weapons. I havent seen that philosophy consistenly gameplanned. Its like one series I see it and the next 2 I see smashmouth.

N.E., Dallas, and Indiannapolis have their offensive philosophy set in stone. All of them utilize all of their weapons. Its the offense required to play all of the 3-4's out there now that are designed to stop the run and west coast.

I wonder how many games we have won when Ben has passed to 6 or more and 4 or more have run the ball.

Im 50/50 on Davis right now being the starter at FB. He is not a true FB and I think we need to give him more carries like a FB dive and such to show his true running ability which to me has more of than blocking.

SteelerFanInCA
11-30-2007, 04:03 PM
I don't get the love affair with Kuhn?

blitzenburgh
11-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't get the love affair with Kuhn?

Well if he was on our roster with Kreider being down, he would be loved!

noto45
11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
who?

revefsreleets
11-30-2007, 05:52 PM
The sad thing is that Carey Davis has improved in every facet of his game this year, almost literally getting better by the game, and everybody is so hung up hating him that they haven't even noticed.

Rhee Rhee
11-30-2007, 05:59 PM
no way is gary russel a capable FB...i really think we can use Heath out of the backfield more..