PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Pricey Future

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Excellent article on how the Pats BETTER do it this year...The potential money to keep this team together is next to impossible. They look to be a One Chance Team thrown together without thought for long term cohesion.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1047994#articleFull

Jman
11-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Good post! And this guy is talking about 1st round choices? Did he not hear what the commish had to say about the first round picks?

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 09:38 AM
So let?s add up just the up-front/guaranteed money. Using the above scenarios, the Pats would have to fork over at least $23 million to Samuel, $11 million to Moss, $11 million to Stallworth, $18 million to Wilfork and $18 million to the draft choice. That?s over $80 million in bonuses and guarantees to just five players in one offseason.

This sums up what the Pats are looking at. How sweet will it be to see "the best team in history" get knocked out of the playoffs ,and then be disassembled like a Daniel Snyder "super team"

fansince'76
11-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm sure they will all play at a substantially reduced rate next year as well, because, well, the Patriots are such a special team to play for. :rolleyes:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm sure they will all play at a substantially reduced rate next year as well, because, well, the Patriots are such a special team to play for. :rolleyes:

Maybe Brady can woo them into staying with a gift box of that fancy Stetson cologne he has been pimping.

Crushzilla
11-30-2007, 10:10 AM
As far as Moss is concerned, this year may be a damned if the do, damned if they don't situation.

Moss clearly wanted a ring. That's why he jumped on board with this fortification of talent, to make a run. If they win it all, I wouldn't be surprised to see Moss take the best of both worlds and take an absurd contract elsewhere. He gets his ring, then gets a huge payday (and maybe an MVP, as well.)

If the Patriots don't win the Super Bowl, Moss might stick around with another one year deal to take another crack at it. Moss gets another swing and the Patriots get him cheap again... problem is... they didn't win another ring.

I could see Moss taking pay cuts until he wins a big one, but as soon as its all done... he could very possibly duck out.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 10:17 AM
As far as Moss is concerned, this year may be a damned if the do, damned if they don't situation.

Moss clearly wanted a ring. That's why he jumped on board with this fortification of talent, to make a run. If they win it all, I wouldn't be surprised to see Moss take the best of both worlds and take an absurd contract elsewhere. He gets his ring, then gets a huge payday (and maybe an MVP, as well.)

If the Patriots don't win the Super Bowl, Moss might stick around with another one year deal to take another crack at it. Moss gets another swing and the Patriots get him cheap again... problem is... they didn't win another ring.

I could see Moss taking pay cuts until he wins a big one, but as soon as its all done... he could very possibly duck out.

I dont know..with Moss's ego, I have to think that it gnaws at him to not being paid "big money"....I think his need to blame others was the deciding factor in leaving Oakland, and next year he is going to want what he "deserves" in the form of a huge contract.

The Patriot
11-30-2007, 04:10 PM
I dont know..with Moss's ego, I have to think that it gnaws at him to not being paid "big money"....I think his need to blame others was the deciding factor in leaving Oakland, and next year he is going to want what he "deserves" in the form of a huge contract.

I'm not so sure. He got his big money in Oakland and you saw how depressed he was. I think he finally realized that he's be out of the league in a few years and forgotten. It's my hope that he's out to make a name for himself next to Brady. I think that's why he requested #81, to call out Owens to see who the real bad ass reciever is.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Wow. Real journalism and it's about the Patriots. I thought sport media "writers" just emailed the same crap to each other.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2007, 05:34 AM
I'm not so sure. He got his big money in Oakland and you saw how depressed he was. I think he finally realized that he's be out of the league in a few years and forgotten. It's my hope that he's out to make a name for himself next to Brady. I think that's why he requested #81, to call out Owens to see who the real bad ass reciever is.

I dont think his problem in Oakland was anything moe than being called out on his attitude and self-proclaimed willingness to take some plays off. I think he is still the same ego-maniac that he has always been and soon he will "want it all"....the accolades and the money.

In Belichick he has a found soul-mate...another version of Moss, dressed up in natty-sweats, but the same "I'm above all this" attitude that doesnt understand why God himself doesnt have the sun rise and set for the single purpose of illuminating their "greatness".

Those two super-egos may co-exist for a short time...but there is going to be a day when both are going to have to prove themselves to the other and both will feel "disrespected".

verks36
12-01-2007, 09:31 AM
as long as they have tom brady they will be in contention

The Patriot
12-01-2007, 10:27 AM
I dont think his problem in Oakland was anything moe than being called out on his attitude and self-proclaimed willingness to take some plays off. I think he is still the same ego-maniac that he has always been and soon he will "want it all"....the accolades and the money.

In Belichick he has a found soul-mate...another version of Moss, dressed up in natty-sweats, but the same "I'm above all this" attitude that doesnt understand why God himself doesnt have the sun rise and set for the single purpose of illuminating their "greatness".

Those two super-egos may co-exist for a short time...but there is going to be a day when both are going to have to prove themselves to the other and both will feel "disrespected".

I don't understand why you think Belichick has an ego. Can't he just be a quiet guy who doesn't like talking? He doesn't care what people think of him which is why he wears that old sweatshirt. The only reason he is called a genius is because his team wins and he keeps to himself. The media started the genius rumor because Bill never talks so they assume he has everything figured out.

All Belichick does is compliment other teams!

...and videotape them on occasion. :whistle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2007, 08:00 AM
I don't understand why you think Belichick has an ego. Can't he just be a quiet guy who doesn't like talking? He doesn't care what people think of him which is why he wears that old sweatshirt. The only reason he is called a genius is because his team wins and he keeps to himself. The media started the genius rumor because Bill never talks so they assume he has everything figured out.

All Belichick does is compliment other teams!

...and videotape them on occasion. :whistle:

I dont know....shoving a cameraman....refusing to shake hands with an opponant. Not exactly the characteristics of a selfless individual.

The Patriot
12-02-2007, 05:03 PM
I dont know....shoving a cameraman....refusing to shake hands with an opponant. Not exactly the characteristics of a selfless individual.

A personality and an ego are two different things. If Bill had an ego, he would be shoving that cameraman to better his reputation which doesn't make sense. You can be a selfish cruel individual and not have an ego.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2007, 05:06 PM
A personality and an ego are two different things. If Bill had an ego, he would be shoving that cameraman to better his reputation which doesn't make sense. You can be a selfish cruel individual and not have an ego.

Actually ...no.

You shove a cameraman..and refuse to shake hands...BECAUSE everyone around you are serfs in the Belichick kingdom. Its a perfect example of Elitism...which IS ego.

The Patriot
12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Actually ...no.

You shove a cameraman..and refuse to shake hands...BECAUSE everyone around you are serfs in the Belichick kingdom. Its a perfect example of Elitism...which IS ego.

When did Belichick refuse to shake someone's hand? I remember last year the media thought that Belichick didn't shake Mangini's hand long enough after a loss and made a big fuss about it so in the playoffs after we beat the Jets he shoved a cameraman aside and gave Mangini a hug. Whether the embrace was real or fabricated, he wasn't being egotistical. He was just trying to get the media off his back and the cameraman served as poetic justice.
Find me an insult or instance when Belichick "refused" to shake someone's hand.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-03-2007, 08:30 AM
When did Belichick refuse to shake someone's hand? I remember last year the media thought that Belichick didn't shake Mangini's hand long enough after a loss and made a big fuss about it so in the playoffs after we beat the Jets he shoved a cameraman aside and gave Mangini a hug. Whether the embrace was real or fabricated, he wasn't being egotistical. He was just trying to get the media off his back and the cameraman served as poetic justice.

Belichick's class doesn't match his coaching
By: Randy Smith, Journal Inquirer
11/06/2007
Say what you will about Bill Belichick, he has brought the handshake back to NFL post-game meetings at midfield.
Watching on TV, fans inch forward to the edge of their couches as Belichick fights his way through on-field traffic, presumably in search of his counterpart, the one not wearing a hooded sweatshirt. Will he or won't he? Should he or shouldn't he?
Which play has he diagrammed for this special moment - the kiss or the kiss off?
Belichick has a huge advantage. He doesn't care one hoot how he is perceived by the public at large. Sportsmanship is something coaches like Belichick talk about. It is not something coaches like Belichick practice. If he is in a foul mood, then he may do something foul. He can make Jets coach Eric Mangini feel like a rejected 5-year-old, for example. If he is in a good mood, then he may do something foul anyway because that is his nature. He has never met a handshake he couldn't butcher.
If you stop and think about it, a spitting match would be fairer. That way, the opposing coach at least would know what Belichick was planning to do
Colts coach Tony Dungy ran to midfield to meet with Belichick after the Patriots had scored 14 points in the last 7:59 to post a come-from-behind 24-20 victory with good intentions. Dungy doesn't lead the league in wins every year, but he always leads the league in good intentions. He's the nice guy who never finishes last.
What he got from Belichick was a quick handshake, followed by a quick dismissal of the outstretched hand of Peyton Manning, followed by questions on the incident. Opposing coaches and players must grow weary of answering questions about Belichick. Reporters are forced to seek them out because Belichick never answers any questions himself. His respect for football would fill one of those sideline barrels in which Gatorade is stored. His respect for all things other than football wouldn't fill a cap on a Gatorade bottle.
Dungy stood up for Belichick because that is his nature. He called Belichick a "good guy" and pointed to his intensity as the reason he commits so many cruel and thoughtless acts. Dungy spoke out against Belichick's "Spygate" earlier in the season, so maybe in Belichick's steel-trap mind, the coach of the Super Bowl champions deserved a cold shoulder.
Defending Belichick is becoming more and more a fulltime job. Even opposing coaches are getting into the act.
The Patriots have classy players and a classy team. What they don't have is a classy coach.
Belichick has never met anybody on the sidelines he couldn't snub. He rarely gives opponents credit, opting instead to accentuate what "we did" and what "we didn't do." When he looks out onto the field, he sees just one team - his own. We win or we lose. They have nothing to do with it, even when they are led by Peyton Manning.
The NFL was in dire need of a showcase game and got it with the Pats-Colts showdown. There are too many bad teams in the league this year and too many bad quarterbacks.
Twenty of 32 teams sit at .500 or below. The Pats and Colts are head and shoulders the best AFC teams, with Pittsburgh and Tennessee occupying the next tier. The Cowboys and Packers are the best NFC teams, with the Giants and Detroit on the next level. The Giants and Detroit? That sounds more like a punchline than a prospectus.
Many games are un-watchable as teams struggle to score points. The Pats score too many. Their 355 points through a 9-0 run are 90 points more than the next highest. Dallas has scored 265. The St. Louis Rams have scored 99. That is not a misprint.
Thanks to "Spygate" and the negative reaction to it, Belichick has added incentive to pound opponents into submission. The Pats beat Dallas 48-27, Miami 49-28, and Washington 52-7 in the weeks leading up to their game against the Colts in Indianapolis. The Pats went off as 6-point road favorites, a stark reflection of how much support they're getting these days at the betting window. All the Colts had done was win every game after winning last year's Super Bowl. You couldn't bet them getting points at home, could you?
Manning is Captain of the Loyal Opposition. He can go head-to-head with Tom Brady without conceding anything. The Colts are good. The Patriots are better and proved it with an unlikely comeback.
The matchup of two undefeated teams earned the highest overnight TV rating for a Sunday afternoon regular-season game since 1987, which is as far back as CBS' records go. The game drew a 22.5 rating and a 39 share. The previous high was the Dallas-San Francisco game on Nov. 10, 1996, which drew a 22.2 rating and a 41 share. At the time, the Cowboys and Niners had won the last four Super Bowls.
The Pats won three of four beginning in 2002, while the Colts won last year. If either of those teams don't win Super Bowl XLI, it'll be a monumental upset. Only one can come out of the AFC, and in all likelihood, the one will have to beat the other to advance. In a riveting, 60-minute struggle, the NFL's two best teams played the part of the two best teams and left fans clamoring for more.
First, the game. Then, the handshake. Hey, class is what class does. Don't count on Robert Kraft to teach Belichick anything on the subject. A spitting match would be more honest.
Randy Smith is sports editor of the Journal Inquirer..
...also witnessed by about 200 million people!!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-03-2007, 08:34 AM

Its very hard to take you seriously when you call shoving a cameraman "poetic justice"..:dang:

The Patriot
12-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Belichick has a huge advantage. He doesn't care one hoot how he is perceived by the public at large.
Well that seals the 'ego' argument.

...also witnessed by about 200 million people!!!!!
This was written by a journalist so ofcourse it doesn't speak highly of Belichick because of his dislike of the media. He doesn't like the attention and I can understand him being overwhelmed when swarmed by reporters after games. He shakes the coaches hand out of respect and then retreats off the field. Belichick never gave "a quick dismissal of the outstretched hand of Peyton Manning" but more likely didn't notice it in the chaos. He worked with Manning in the probowl and they were seen joking about the season. If Belichick was really a jerk, why would Tomlinson go as far as to apologize in front of the media for calling him classless? After working with him in the probowl, Adalius Thomas took a pay cut so he could go play under Belichick. So just because Belichick has a lousy public appearance doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

The Patriot
12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Its very hard to take you seriously when you call shoving a cameraman "poetic justice"..:dang:

As I for you when you fail to respond to my argument with something other than name calling.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Well that seals the 'ego' argument.

This was written by a journalist so ofcourse it doesn't speak highly of Belichick because of his dislike of the media. He doesn't like the attention and I can understand him being overwhelmed when swarmed by reporters after games. He shakes the coaches hand out of respect and then retreats off the field. Belichick never gave "a quick dismissal of the outstretched hand of Peyton Manning" but more likely didn't notice it in the chaos. He worked with Manning in the probowl and they were seen joking about the season. If Belichick was really a jerk, why would Tomlinson go as far as to apologize in front of the media for calling him classless? After working with him in the probowl, Adalius Thomas took a pay cut so he could go play under Belichick. So just because Belichick has a lousy public appearance doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

Okay...I'm done with you....so far you have called pushing a camera man "poetic justice"....tried to convince everyone that Belichick has no ego....and disputed what 200 million people and every sportwriter saw happen when he ignored Peytons outstretched hand. You FIRST said it didnt happen..then you CHANGED that to..."he didnt see it"
Since facts mean nothing to you,..and you by far the biggest Belichick apologist I have EVER seen...its time to say:
:sign07:
(For the record..I responded with facts,,but Im not surprised that you didnt recognize them)

The Patriot
12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Okay...I'm done with you....so far you have called pushing a camera man "poetic justice"....tried to convince everyone that Belichick has no ego....and disputed what 200 million people and every sportwriter saw happen when he ignored Peytons outstretched hand. You FIRST said it didnt happen..then you CHANGED that to..."he didnt see it"
Since facts mean nothing to you,..and you by far the biggest Belichick apologist I have EVER seen...its time to say:
:sign07:
(For the record..I responded with facts,,but Im not surprised that you didnt recognize them)

Again, more name calling. And for the record, saying that Belichick didn't ignore Peyton's handshake and that he probably missed it aren't two conflicting statements. I'm unsure what your facts were apart from a lame article written about a sportswriter's using his impression of an aftergame handshake to judge Belichick's character as a whole. Which article, by the way, conflicted with your ego argument
But before you go, tell me. What is Belichick's ego? I'm dying to learn of the self-righteous qualities of a guy who only appears for required pess conferences and never says a word outside that.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Again, more name calling. And for the record, saying that Belichick didn't ignore Peyton's handshake and that he probably missed it aren't two conflicting statements. I'm unsure what your facts were apart from a lame article written about a sportswriter's using his impression of an aftergame handshake to judge Belichick's character as a whole. Which article, by the way, conflicted with your ego argument
But before you go, tell me. What is Belichick's ego? I'm dying to learn of the self-righteous qualities of a guy who only appears for required pess conferences and never says a word outside that.

For the record since you like to twist the facts.

You said it never happened...it did...its easily proved and you were wrong . Deal with it & quit trying to squirm your way into a different argument.

...and also It has become obvious that you have NO IDEA of the definition of ego. You seem to think its someone who seeks others approval. That would be LOW SELF ESTEEM.
Lets start with remidial definitions of ego...so that you wont be confused any longer:

EGOTISTICAL
Pronunciation: `egut'istikul
Definitions: [adj] characteristic of false pride;
having an exaggerated sense of self-importance;
self-conceited arrogance";
"an egotistical "disregard" of others";
characteristic of those having an inflated idea of their own importance

...that should clear up your confusion...but you know...for some reason...I doubt it.

The Patriot
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
For the record since you like to twist the facts.

You said it never happened...it did...its easily proved and you were wrong . Deal with it & quit trying to squirm your way into a different argument.

...and also It has become obvious that you have NO IDEA of the definition of ego. You seem to think its someone who seeks others approval. That would be LOW SELF ESTEEM.
Lets start with remidial definitions of ego...so that you wont be confused any longer:

EGOTISTICAL
Pronunciation: `egut'istikul
Definitions: [adj] characteristic of false pride;
having an exaggerated sense of self-importance;
self-conceited arrogance";
"an egotistical "disregard" of others";
characteristic of those having an inflated idea of their own importance

...that should clear up your confusion...but you know...for some reason...I doubt it.

I don't recall saying it never happened and even if I did it was probably because I didn't even notice because it's that trivial. Now tell me how missing a handshake in a bustling crowd of reporters illustrates a person's arrogance or self-importance. You actaully believe Belichick deliberately wanted to disrespect Manning and risk giving the Colts a motivational factor, because he thinks he's better than everybody? You're grasping at straws here.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-03-2007, 01:59 PM
The Patriot I don't recall saying it never happened
here ya go Mr short-term memory:From your previous post The Patriot ....When did Belichick refuse to shake someone's hand? Find me an insult or instance when Belichick "refused" to shake someone's hand

But to not be outdone you have an excuse
The Patriot...and even if I did it was probably because I didn't even notice because it's that trivial.
OHHHH...I didnt do it..but IF I did....

The Patriot: Now tell me how missing a handshake in a bustling crowd of reporters illustrates a person's arrogance or self-importance.
Bad sportmanship is always a direct result of ego...what do you think it is...Humbleness??!!:dang:

The Patriot: You actaully believe Belichick deliberately wanted to disrespect Manning and risk giving the Colts a motivational factor, because he thinks he's better than everybody? You're grasping at straws here.
Wow...you really know your football....YOU WERE ELIMINATED FOR THE SEASON...what motivational factor would they be looking forward to??? The Pro-Bowl???

The Patriot
12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
here ya go Mr short-term memory:From your previous post

But to not be outdone you have an excuse

OHHHH...I didnt do it..but IF I did....

Bad sportmanship is always a direct result of ego...what do you think it is...Humbleness??!!:dang:

4) The Patriot: You actaully believe Belichick deliberately wanted to disrespect Manning and risk giving the Colts a motivational factor, because he thinks he's better than everybody? You're grasping at straws here.
Wow...you really know your football....YOU WERE ELIMINATED FOR THE SEASON...what motivational factor would they be looking forward to??? The Pro-Bowl???
At least you are consistantly dumb.

You didn't even read your own article. This wasn't last year's playoff game, this was the regular season game last month! Your argument is ridiculous. You are saying that Belichick refused a handshake from Peyton after a game which you apparently thought occured in the playoffs. But if you came out of your little world and back into reality, you'd realize that you're just trying to make something out of nothing. Everyone who has worked with Belichick in the past says he was a great guy. It is the writers who have never spoken him who come up with these absurd summations about his character.

19ward86
12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
patriots wont be nearly as powerful next year....

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-03-2007, 02:23 PM
You didn't even read your own article. This wasn't last year's playoff game, this was the regular season game last month! Your argument is ridiculous. You are saying that Belichick refused a handshake from Peyton after a game which you apparently thought occured in the playoffs. But if you came out of your little world and back into reality, you'd realize that you're just trying to make something out of nothing. Everyone who has worked with Belichick in the past says he was a great guy. It is the writers who have never spoken him who come up with these absurd summations about his character.

The article was written last month...and mentioned the incident at the playoff game!!!! You really have no clue..do you!!!:dang::dang:

Check the posts in this forum after last years playoff loss..or do a quick google check...The fact that you didnt know that he snubbed Peyton last year shows you for the bandwagon jumping fan that we thought you were:dang::dang:

You are getting tiring!!:banging:

fansince'76
12-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Please folks, watch it with the personal attacks. Thanks.

The Patriot
12-03-2007, 04:05 PM
The article was written last month...and mentioned the incident at the playoff game!!!! You really have no clue..do you!!!:dang::dang:

Check the posts in this forum after last years playoff loss..or do a quick google check...The fact that you didnt know that he snubbed Peyton last year shows you for the bandwagon jumping fan that we thought you were:dang::dang:

You are getting tiring!!:banging:

Well from what I read in the article that you posted in the section that you bolded was this:
Colts coach Tony Dungy ran to midfield to meet with Belichick after the Patriots had scored 14 points in the last 7:59 to post a come-from-behind 24-20 victory with good intentions. Dungy doesn't lead the league in wins every year, but he always leads the league in good intentions. He's the nice guy who never finishes last.
What he got from Belichick was a quick handshake, followed by a quick dismissal of the outstretched hand of Peyton Manning, followed by questions on the incident.
Ofcourse, knowing you, I'm sure every time Belichick makes a certain movement you automatically assume he meant to insult somebody. Still, in no way does any of this support your argument. All you've done is posted an article, some wild speculations of your own, the smacking smilie, and a bunch of tasteless insults that are unnecessary and stray from the entire discussion as a whole.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Well from what I read in the article that you posted in the section that you bolded was this:

Ofcourse, knowing you, I'm sure every time Belichick makes a certain movement you automatically assume he meant to insult somebody. Still, in no way does any of this support your argument. All you've done is posted an article, some wild speculations of your own, the smacking smilie, and a bunch of tasteless insults that are unnecessary and stray from the entire discussion as a whole.

Funny how you have avoided the whole "I never said it" statement, your not knowing the defintion of ego...and suddenly dont want to talk about your saying that Belichick pushing a cameraman is Poetic Justice....Care to elaborate on those statements now?

As far as straying from the topic....Look back at the posts...YOU asked when Belichick didnt shake someones hand and then changed the argument as to when it happened (and denied you said it) after you were proven wrong....YOU asked for examples of Belichicks bad bahavior and ego...and excused those behaviors when proven wrong.
Take your lumps and say..."Oh, I didnt know that" ...when proven wrong and you will find that everyone can get back to talking football instead of chasing rabbit trails.