PDA

View Full Version : The bottom line about Troy....

Infamix
11-30-2007, 09:32 AM
He's a great player, but our coaches get too caught up in the hype of his abilities and use him in the wrong way. Both games when Troy was out and our D played well, our defense was simple and Carter played safety like a normal safety. This made Troy look worse than he is, or Carter better than he is.

He needs to heal. A couple injuries have been nagging him but he's too eagar to come back, just like any other motivated player in the league. We have to rest him until he's fully recovered, stop blitzing him against 340 pound linemen and teach him how to wrap up instead of tackling shoulder-first like a missle or some sh*t.

Have him play back there like a normal safety with the ocassional blitz or exotic look, and he will be much more effective!! (IMO)

19ward86
11-30-2007, 02:11 PM
i definitaly understand where u are coming from. chris hope a former steeler safety who now plays for the titans told the press a while back that at first he thought troy was a great player but then noticed that troy was often over aggressive and ran himself out of plays. ever since ive heard that i noticed it during games. last year during the ravens game he got beat by a 4th string reciever by about 10 yds. im not saying he shouldnt ever get beat but he got smoked because he went on a fake blitz. i dont want to see it but i can see him getting traded after this season....

X-Terminator
11-30-2007, 02:29 PM
i dont want to see it but i can see him getting traded after this season....

Well, here you go, ladies and gentlemen. The epitome of the fickle, "what have you done for me lately" Steelers fan. Troy has one less-than-stellar season, and now he should be traded. And this coming just months after everyone was staining their shorts over Troy's re-signing to a contract extension. Absolutely amazing...but not surprising.

Next time anyone on this board gets upset with me or anyone else for telling the truth about Steelers fans, all they need to do is reference this post.

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2007, 02:39 PM
i definitaly understand where u are coming from. chris hope a former steeler safety who now plays for the titans told the press a while back that at first he thought troy was a great player but then noticed that troy was often over aggressive and ran himself out of plays. ever since ive heard that i noticed it during games. last year during the ravens game he got beat by a 4th string reciever by about 10 yds. im not saying he shouldnt ever get beat but he got smoked because he went on a fake blitz. i dont want to see it but i can see him getting traded after this season....

Interesting that Hope said that - any chance you have a link? I guess sometimes old teammates feel a need to take shots - maybe Hope simmered about having to play stay at home safety while Taz got the glory

jjpro11
11-30-2007, 03:17 PM

traded in the offseason... are you serious?

stillers4me
11-30-2007, 03:28 PM
:smoker:

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2007, 03:33 PM
traded in the offseason... are you serious?

That was so off the charts I did not even respond.

Maybe the Packers will trade Kuhn for Troy straight up.

SteelerFanInCA
11-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Troy traded? I've heard it all now. :sofunny:

Haiku_Dirtt
11-30-2007, 04:20 PM

:toofunny: Here's a hint. I'm not laughing with you.

Someone responded kindly - no very very kindly - when they called this hysteria "fickle".

Haiku_Dirtt
11-30-2007, 04:25 PM
That was so off the charts I did not even respond.

Maybe the Packers will trade Kuhn for Troy straight up.

Now that's ridiculous. They would never trade Kuhn for Troy.

I'm thinking maybe we can get Noah Herron back if they won't bite on Kuhn.

Dino 6 Rings
11-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Seriously...I've seen plays where Troy is "over aggressive" and then I've seen plays where on a 3rd and 1 sweep he kills the running back in the backfield for a loss of 2 by being aggressive. You get what you pay for, and we PAY Troy to play aggressively. We aren't a true Cover 2 defense and an attacking Safety is exactly what we need. Yes, when he's out of the game, we may have better "coverage" down field for some parts of the game, but we also have less sacks, less tackles for loss and less turnovers because TROY P is a PLAY MAKING FOOL! And he does make Others on the defense better because it takes the offense out of its game focussing on him.

Traded?

Seriously...trade in your Steelers Gear for Browns stuff and Trade yourself out of here....that's insane talk. Ask yourself this...would you rather see him on the opposing teams defense? Would you be watching a game and think "Oh yeah, they Have Troy P in their secondary, this will be an easy victory with him being so over aggressive."

Utter Nonsense.

moedap
11-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Reality says we are still in the 07-08 season. There will be no trading Troy P. period. im not saying he shouldnt ever get beat but he got smoked because he went on a fake blitz. i dont want to see it but i can see him getting traded after this If he is assigned a fake blitz and the pass beat his recovery maybe its a scheme flaw? Fire Dick Lebeau Tomlin and take over the defense. ;-)

Rhee Rhee
11-30-2007, 06:04 PM

we just signed him to an incredibly rich extension are u serious?

plus ya i agree completely that just simplify troy's assignments.... he does soo much that it's like we waste his talent.. sometimes let him play centerfield... let him get 3 or 4 picks.

steelpride12
11-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Haha him get traded good joke.
Troy is doing too much and it is almost costing us. I think the reasons the coaches force him to do this is because of our exotic blitz schemes which allow him to run crazy all over the field instead of playing normal SS position.
Troy has made several small plays that have contributed, but nothing big, but this is the same Troy we have known forever and i think him switching his game plan would be the WRONG move.
We don't want him being a Darren Sharper who is an elite safety but dosent play like Troy and dosent get the recongnizion as him!

Glace
11-30-2007, 06:27 PM
I'll agree, I think that's the only problem with Troy. I've said it before. They're just trying to do too much with the guy.

Let him play his position, and if you want to occasionally bring him up for a blitz...do it. Don't let him freelance out there. It was confusing for opposing offenses at first but I think the majority of teams are wiser to it now.

Troy would be regarded as the best safety in the league if he'd just play his position.

Chris Hope was an amazing compliment to Troy on the field though. I don't think we have that quite yet with clark, or Smith, even though Smith has enormous potential. We'll get back to that point though.

fansince'76
11-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Well, here you go, ladies and gentlemen. The epitome of the fickle, "what have you done for me lately" Steelers fan. Troy has one less-than-stellar season, and now he should be traded. And this coming just months after everyone was staining their shorts over Troy's re-signing to a contract extension. Absolutely amazing...but not surprising.

Next time anyone on this board gets upset with me or anyone else for telling the truth about Steelers fans, all they need to do is reference this post.

Agreed - I'm to the point where I don't even respond anymore, just shake my head and laugh. I already had an argument earlier today with another poster who seems convinced that Green Bay has the next coming of the Franco Harris/Rocky Bleier RB/FB tandem in Ryan Grant and John Kuhn based on one play last night and that we made a horrible mistake in letting Kuhn go. Now someone else seems to want to put Troy on the trading block. Unbelievable.

revefsreleets
11-30-2007, 06:37 PM
But what about the rest of what he said? The fans of all NFL teams (not just the Steelers) have this incredibly weird way of blaming the coaches when players don't play well, yet praising the player and ignoring the coach when the player plays well. If the team loses, it exacerbates the problem tenfold.

Football is chess, not checkers. Troy needs traded about as much as Arians needs to be fired, which is just about as much as the Rooney's should sell the franchise to an owner in LA.

Glace
11-30-2007, 06:38 PM
I just wonder if Troy's freelancing and roaming has caused problems for pass protection too. Do our own guys know where he's at and what he's doing ALL the time?

geo123
11-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Troy may not be having as good a year as he's had in the past, that may be because the offense(QB) is more aware of where he is on almost evey play.

HometownGal
11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
But what about the rest of what he said? The fans of all NFL teams (not just the Steelers) have this incredibly weird way of blaming the coaches when players don't play well, yet praising the player and ignoring the coach when the player plays well. If the team loses, it exacerbates the problem tenfold.

Football is chess, not checkers. Troy needs traded about as much as Arians needs to be fired, which is just about as much as the Rooney's should sell the franchise to an owner in LA.

Spot on, rev. :thumbsup: My hair stands on end every time I read sh it like that. :horror: Holy hell - the guy has been injured for a good part of the season and has played injured in the past. Troy gives 150% each and every game, though he may not be feeling 100%. It amazes me how some of these people want to throw a player (or a coach) under the bus for not being perfect each and every game. Bottom line? Pro athletes and coaches don't put their undies on any different than the rest of us do and are capable of error just like the rest of us.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Spot on, rev. :thumbsup: My hair stands on end every time I read sh it like that. :horror: Holy hell - the guy has been injured for a good part of the season and has played injured in the past. Troy gives 150% each and every game, though he may not be feeling 100%. It amazes me how some of these people want to throw a player (or a coach) under the bus for not being perfect each and every game. Bottom line? Pro athletes and coaches don't put their undies on any different than the rest of us do and are capable of error just like the rest of us.

The rest of us also didn't sign the richest contract in Steelers history either.....I broke my foot at work and still went to work...Plus did the same hard ass job every day and I don't make millions...So don't give me that he has played injured....cry me a river Troy....:crying01:

I still agree with resigning him though even though he hasn't lived up to the huge contract this year....I also agree trading him would be really silly.....Mainly he still has the talent to be great and can rebound from his sub par play at anytime....

X-Terminator
11-30-2007, 11:13 PM
The rest of us also didn't sign the richest contract in Steelers history either.....I broke my foot at work and still went to work...Plus did the same hard ass job every day and I don't make millions...So don't give me that he has played injured....cry me a river Troy....:crying01:

I still agree with resigning him though even though he hasn't lived up to the huge contract this year....I also agree trading him would be really silly.....Mainly he still has the talent to be great and can rebound from his sub par play at anytime....

I don't remember Troy ever complaining about being hurt or using it as an excuse for his play. He's been pretty stand-up regarding that. That said, these guys may make millions of dollars, but they put their bodies through hell to earn it. It isn't like basketball or baseball - or golf and tennis, for that matter - where there is little or no physical contact. Whether you want to admit it or not, when you are playing a violent sport such as football, if you play with an injury, it is going to affect your performance. It's as simple as that. There is a reason why the average career for a RB is only a little over 3 years, after all, and it isn't strictly because they may not be talented enough to play at this level.

Galax Steeler
12-01-2007, 04:22 AM
:smoker:

Agreed

Infamix
12-01-2007, 11:06 AM
So everyone on this board believes Troy is being used properly? Thats your opinion but I disagree :wink02:

stillers4me
12-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Not saying he couldn't be used a bit better. To say he needs traded is ......... going a tad bit overboard?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-01-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't remember Troy ever complaining about being hurt or using it as an excuse for his play. He's been pretty stand-up regarding that. That said, these guys may make millions of dollars, but they put their bodies through hell to earn it. It isn't like basketball or baseball - or golf and tennis, for that matter - where there is little or no physical contact. Whether you want to admit it or not, when you are playing a violent sport such as football, if you play with an injury, it is going to affect your performance. It's as simple as that. There is a reason why the average career for a RB is only a little over 3 years, after all, and it isn't strictly because they may not be talented enough to play at this level.

I didn't say Troy complained about playing hurt...I was answering Hometown's response of him playing hurt.....Sorry I don't feel sorry for million dollar athletes.....They play a game for millions of dollars...Of course their bodies go through hell.....More so then the other team sports so I understand why they want to get as much as they can........especially since NFL contracts are not guaranteed....But at the same time when these players make so much then I have no problem with fans ripping them......

Only the blindest homer can honestly say Troy has been as good this year as he was in 04 and 05....lol Its clear since last year Troy's play has declined.....But at the same time I don't think it was stupid to resign him or want him traded....He still has that talent to be very special.....I don't know whats wrong with Troy.....Yes being injured is part of it but its alarming he hasn't had an INT in his last 17 games or something like that....

I think you would agree if the Steelers want to win another Super Bowl in the near future we need the Troy of 04/05......

steel striker
12-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Troy traded? Comeon folks let's get a grip! Do you know what you are saying? Plus Troy has been hurt this year a few times and, I say once he gets back and healthy he is one of the best players in the game today. Every team in the NFL prepares for our guy who plays with reckless abandonment. We will need this guy in the playoffs and, we can't beat pats or colts without him. He is a game changing type of player. Would you rather have the colts or pats or ravens have Troy? I think not! Gee let's not act like we are eagles fans!! We are the best fans in the NFL we support are guys no matter what. :tt02::tt02::tt02:

Atlanta Dan
12-01-2007, 02:06 PM
I think you would agree if the Steelers want to win another Super Bowl in the near future we need the Troy of 04/05......

Agreed - a concern is Troy has now been banged up 2 years in a row

Steelers were going to sign Troy or Faneca this year and I still think they made the right choice. But recurring injuries to a player who is not that big and lives on his quicks are disturbing.

It is hard to get a read on this D as Tomlin inputs his changes - I think the stas are deceiving given the inability of the D to stop end of game drives by Denver, the Jets, and (almost) Cleveland. Of all the players I think Troy's role is changing as much as anyone's due to the change in philosophy. Combine that with being banged up and his performance, while definitely disappointing, is explicable.

Still planning to get his jersey (Ben is too obvious a choice and frankly Troy seems like the more grounded person of the two)

Black@Gold Forever32
12-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Steelers were going to sign Troy or Faneca this year and I still think they made the right choice. But recurring injuries to a player who is not that big and lives on his quicks are disturbing.

It is hard to get a read on this D as Tomlin inputs his changes - I think the stas are deceiving given the inability of the D to stop end of game drives by Denver, the Jets, and (almost) Cleveland. Of all the players I think Troy's role is changing as much as anyone's due to the change in philosophy. Combine that with being banged up and his performance, while definitely disappointing, is explicable.

Still planning to get his jersey (Ben is too obvious a choice and frankly Troy seems like the more grounded person of the two)

I agree the changes Tomlin has brought to the D has effected Troy.....I just think great players can adjust to any system....Like I said I'm far from giving up on the guy and trading him wouldn't be smart at all......Its just at times also this year Troy hasn't been effective when he has been in his Taz role.....

Infamix
12-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Troy traded? Comeon folks let's get a grip! Do you know what you are saying? Plus Troy has been hurt this year a few times and, I say once he gets back and healthy he is one of the best players in the game today. Every team in the NFL prepares for our guy who plays with reckless abandonment. We will need this guy in the playoffs and, we can't beat pats or colts without him. He is a game changing type of player. Would you rather have the colts or pats or ravens have Troy? I think not! Gee let's not act like we are eagles fans!! We are the best fans in the NFL we support are guys no matter what. :tt02::tt02::tt02:

That wasn't even the point of the thread...everyone just hopped on that bandwagon. The post stating Troy should be traded should be ignored

steelcity58
12-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Ditto.

Troy is a real player and maybe the MVP of the defense.

The whole deal is, he's been out of position by some poor play calling by us, and
great plays by the enemy.

Let him heal, rest up.

He plays the game like you should, with total abandon for your own welfare.

One of the greatest players to wear a Steelers uniform, hell any uniform.

Santonio4
12-01-2007, 04:52 PM
What do you know about Ray Finkle?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-01-2007, 05:00 PM
What do you know about Ray Finkle?

soccer style kicker.....also known as the mule......:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

revefsreleets
12-01-2007, 06:07 PM
My point is a little different. If Troy was healthy and he had 12 sacks, 10 INT's and 120 tackles, nobody would be posting threads saying "Hey, the COACHES sure are using Troy the right way this year!"

Preacher
12-01-2007, 06:13 PM

That is a good point... What is also disturbing, is that we have seen very good defenseive play when troy HASN'T been in. I wonder if the ball-hawking skills of A. Smith and others are a better fit for the defense at this point.

Of course, Troy is excellent against the run. I think that it will simply be a matter of changing mindsets for troy as time goes on.