PDA

View Full Version : Patriots bonuses are out of bounds with NFL

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Friday, November 30, 2007
BY SHALISE MANZA YOUNG
Journal Sports Writer

FOXBORO ? By now, it has been well chronicled that one of the reasons for the New England Patriots? success in recent seasons, particularly with bringing in so-called ?difficult? players, has been the culture in the locker room. Respected veteran players rule the roost, and the players police themselves.

Conform and be a good teammate, and there are no problems. One of the ways the room is policed is with petty fines, and an article in Wednesday?s USA Today detailed how the fines are assessed and then the pot is used as a reward for players in the next game.

The story was lighthearted, and had Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi and Adalius Thomas discussing the fine and reward process. But the article ended with this: ?One problem. It?s also a violation of NFL policy. But that?s an issue for someone else to police.?

League rules prohibit such financial extras, as they could escalate into bounties, whereby players may be rewarded for knocking a running back out of a game or injuring the quarterback. The rule states, ?Clubs and players are prohibited from offering or accepting bonuses to a player for his or his team?s performance against a particular team, a particular opposing player, or players or a particular group of an opposing team.? The problem is in the distribution of the fines collected. If the fines were donated to charity or used to buy a supply of candy and gum for the locker room, there wouldn?t be a problem.

But since they are given back to one player, it could be considered a performance bonus and is a violation of the rule. For the record, last week?s share of the pot for the defense went to Asante Samuel for forcing the first turnover of the game, his 40-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Eagles.

But for a team already treading lightly thanks to the Spygate scandal, the article likely did New England no favors. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello referred questions about the cash rewards back to the Patriots, and New England media relations head Stacey James said, ?The team is handling it internally.?

Bill Belichick stresses to his players the importance of using the company line with the media, and the story of the Patriots? fine system ? and the attention it will likely get from the league ? only re-emphasizes Belichick?s stance.

The Pats aren?t the first team to have such a system, and aren?t the first team to have their kangaroo court exposed in the last month: The NFL also looked into a story out of Green Bay that claimed defensive backs offered $500 each to the defensive linemen if they held Minnesota rookie Adrian Peterson under 100 yards rushing when the teams played. Peterson ended up with a knee injury in that Nov. 11 game and hasn?t played since, though he may be back this week.

In the USA Today article, Bruschi says that it was former New England linebacker Willie McGinest who instituted the fines, and they are assessed for players being even two seconds late to a meeting; Seymour said defensive linemen can incur a financial hit for missing a technical assignment.

Though the players make thousands of dollars per game and winning the pot means they get just a fraction of that, the pride of winning it is more important than the financial gain. No one would say how much Samuel claimed, but according to Seymour, ?Asante got a nice little stash.?

Borski
11-30-2007, 03:06 PM
and the cheats strike again

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 03:09 PM
And we have some jaggoff bandwagon Patriot fan in the BF stating our organization is an "embarrassment" because of our field conditions.

Meanwhile in Patriot land over the last few months..........

stillers4me
11-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Put on my shock face........:jawdrop:!

Big D
11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I think by the time it's all said and done all the skeltons will come out on this team and it will complelty tarnish the patriots season.

HometownGal
11-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Let the denial, excuse making and backpedaling party begin. :party:

Karma has a way of taking a chunk out of the rump.

Big D
11-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Let the denial, excuse making and backpedaling party begin. :party:

Karma has a way of taking a chunk out of the rump.

i've been saying that all year. The time will come when brady gets knocked out of a game.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I think by the time it's all said and done all the skeltons will come out on this team and it will complelty tarnish the patriots season.

Season? How about the team's entire legacy?

Big D
11-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Season? How about the team's entire legacy?

I can't be that spoiled. Bonds getting arraigned and belicheat to be taken down in the same yea

RoethlisBURGHer
11-30-2007, 04:52 PM
I can't be that spoiled. Bonds getting arraigned and belicheat to be taken down in the same yea

Well hell, I am!

The Patriot
11-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Did you guys even read the article? The players got together and policed eachother to keep themselves motivated. Fining a player $10 for missing a tackle in practice isn't exactly a capital offense and a $500 pot to the player who has the best game won't change the salaray cap and is equivelent to a game ball. The Packers were caught doing this just a few weeks ago. The only reason the league found out about this is because somebody opened his mouth accidently. There is no huge conspiracy here.

If the league can fine T.O. $10,000 for waving a towel on the sideline maybe they're the ones committing the real infractions.

Dirtywater
11-30-2007, 10:09 PM
The obsession with the Pats here is hilarious.

Who cares? We're both good teams, both have a shot at going to the Super Bowl. All these threads and jealous talk is just: :blah:

We are all better than than "nah-nah, we're better" talk.

Rock on Steelers! :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2007, 10:11 PM
And we have some jaggoff bandwagon Patriot fan in the BF stating our organization is an "embarrassment" because of our field conditions.

Meanwhile in Patriot land over the last few months..........

Surprise, Surprise. This isn't anything new to either one of us 83.

The Duke
11-30-2007, 10:15 PM

Who cares? We're both good teams, both have a shot at going to the Super Bowl. All these threads and jealous talk is just: :blah:

thank you, I really don't understand why so much pats talk, people hate them but still talk and talk about them.

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2007, 10:15 PM

Seeing how far out of bounds they were are shocking, but hey, at least we're not them bottom feeders(coughs Philly Coughs). :flap:

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 10:40 PM
thank you, I really don't understand why so much pats talk, people hate them but still talk and talk about them.

Well, when somebody posts an article pertaining to the Patriots should we talk about the Bears or Falcons? :huh:

HometownGal
11-30-2007, 11:05 PM
The only reason the league found out about this is because somebody opened his mouth accidently. There is no huge conspiracy here.

Do you even read what you write? If "somebody opened his mouth accidentally", obviously there was something going on behind the scenes (again) that the Cheatsies didn't want known outside their locker room and especially not by the NFL. :dang::dang: Why does this team and organization have such a problem with integrity?

The Patriot
11-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Do you even read what you write? If "somebody opened his mouth accidentally", obviously there was something going on behind the scenes (again) that the Cheatsies didn't want known outside their locker room and especially not by the NFL. :dang::dang: Why does this team and organization have such a problem with integrity?

What a $5 fine for lateness? If a player let the media in on this then he probably didn't think it was a big deal unless he was raving drunk or extremely stupid. I think alot of players got the idea from the Packers. Soon the NFL will be fining teams for inspirational speeches and game balls.

Edman
11-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Well, it is an NFL discussion board.

Some Patriot fans(hardwork, what's his face whose name I dare not mention) come on here post scores and brag about their blowout wins. You don't see us complaining.

SteelCityMan786
12-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Well, when somebody posts an article pertaining to the Patriots should we talk about the Bears or Falcons? :huh:

I'm just as clueless.

SteelCityMan786
12-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Well, it is an NFL discussion board.

Some Patriot fans(hardwork, what's his face whose name I dare not mention) come on here post scores and brag about their blowout wins. You don't see us complaining.

He was banned a long time ago.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2007, 05:17 AM
C'mon guys...we should all know that we are not allowed to make negative comments about the "Best Team Of All Time" :puke:

SteelCityMan786
12-01-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm smelling some sarcasm there LLT.

Lok1GT
12-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Did you guys even read the article?
There is no huge conspiracy here.

Yes we did.

Did you?
Friday, November 30, 2007
It?s also a violation of NFL policy.

The Patriot
12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes we did.

Did you?

NFL policy is growing more and more ridiculous. They determine which celebrations are permissible and which are not, where cheerleader squads can be stationed on the field, and what clothing brands team personel are permitted to wear.

Today, anything can be classified as a violation of NFL policy. A player spitting on the field could be ruled as roudy behavior and destruction of NFL property.

fansince'76
12-01-2007, 01:15 PM
NFL policy is growing more and more ridiculous. They determine which celebrations are permissible and which are not, where cheerleader squads can be stationed on the field, and what clothing brands team personel are permitted to wear.

Today, anything can be classified as a violation of NFL policy. A player spitting on the field could be ruled as roudy behavior and destruction of NFL property.

That's it, the big bad NFL is just picking on the poor little Patriots. :crying01:

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2007, 06:42 PM

:we're obsessed ???....ummmmm......what message board are you on ???
i'd be willing to bet your not here because of an invitation...:coffee:

Dirtywater
12-01-2007, 07:02 PM
we're obsessed ???....ummmmm......what message board are you on ???
i'd be willing to bet your not here because of an invitation...:coffee:

I used to post quite a bit here, but my jobs have left me little time to post anywhere. I like SF the best of all the Steelers forums though, and that is why I chose it.

The reason I wrote "Obsessed" was due to the sheer number of threads I saw on the first page of the NFL forum. Maybe that term is a bit overboard, but I was a bit in awe, lol. Just not used to seeing that many Pats threads outside of IndyColts forums. :wink02:

No big deal though. I still respect the Steelers like crazy. IMHO you are the franchise to emulate, and if it wasn't for Rooney the Pats would have left for St.Louis long ago.

I get the whole Pats>Steelers, Steelers>Pats routine, just not my cup of tea. You guys look good this season and I could easily see you, the Colts or us in the AFCCG.

Anyway, take care.

DW

steelergirl07
12-01-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't think this whole situation is a big deal. If they gave rewards for hurting a certain player, then I could see it as bad. I hate the Pats as much as the next person, but I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

Preacher
12-01-2007, 07:25 PM
I used to post quite a bit here, but my jobs have left me little time to post anywhere. I like SF the best of all the Steelers forums though, and that is why I chose it.

The reason I wrote "Obsessed" was due to the sheer number of threads I saw on the first page of the NFL forum. Maybe that term is a bit overboard, but I was a bit in awe, lol. Just not used to seeing that many Pats threads outside of IndyColts forums. :wink02:

No big deal though. I still respect the Steelers like crazy. IMHO you are the franchise to emulate, and if it wasn't for Rooney the Pats would have left for St.Louis long ago.

I get the whole Pats>Steelers, Steelers>Pats routine, just not my cup of tea. You guys look good this season and I could easily see you, the Colts or us in the AFCCG.

Anyway, take care.

DW

DW...

The problem is...

We are not used to getting Pats fans here that are not arrogant, ignorant, or both.

The Duke
12-01-2007, 08:21 PM
DW...

The problem is...

We are not used to getting Pats fans here that are not arrogant, ignorant, or both.

Yeah, and all of the sudden we have two on the board

The world is upside down