PDA

View Full Version : Rooney says Heinz Field condition 'outstanding'

stillers4me
11-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Steelers' Rooney says Heinz Field condition 'outstanding'
But team will take extra precautions to keep it dry

Friday, November 30, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney said the sod at Heinz Field is in "outstanding" condition for the game against the Cincinnati Bengals, and the team will take extra precautions to prevent some of the problems that existed in Monday night's soggy situation against the Miami Dolphins.

That's probably a good thing because the forecast for Sunday night is rain turning to snow, according to the National Weather Service.

The biggest move: The Steelers will use an extra layer of tarpaulin to cover the field, an attempt to prevent water from leaking through the seams of the existing tarp, as it did Monday night.

Rooney said the greatest collection of water was at the goal line, midfield and 25-yard line --- the areas where the tarp has seams.

The Steelers had the field aerated and rolled after the game against the Dolphins and have used blowers in an attempt to dry the sod.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07334/838103-66.stm

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Instead of A to F, I guess this is Dan Rooney's grading scale:

Fantastic (A)
Beautiful (B)
Wonderful (C)
Outstanding (D)
Good (F)

If the field is so "outstanding" why cover it with multiple layers of tarps?

When it comes to the condition of the turf at Heinz Field, the way to tell if Dan Rooney is lying is to see if his lips move.

Unbelievable

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Going by all the local news weather reports here in Pittsburgh, we'll see how "outstanding" it looks by 10:00 PM on Sunday night.

Sharkissle29
11-30-2007, 04:14 PM

Fantastic (A)
Beautiful (B)
Wonderful (C)
Outstanding (D)
Good (F)

When it comes to the condition of the turf at Heinz Field, the way to tell if Dan Rooney is lying is to see if his lips move.

Unbelievable

i dont know when you think about it, all that water was probably pretty good for the new sod. obviously there was a ton of it but i could see it looking nice, besides the areas where they had to pour dry dirt or whatever over it

RoethlisBURGHer
11-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Multple tarps to keep the rain that is supposed to come on Saturday off of the playing field.

plenewken
11-30-2007, 04:18 PM

Fantastic (A)
Beautiful (B)
Wonderful (C)
Outstanding (D)
Good (F)

Unbelievable

Outstanding for Heinz Field is unacceptable everywhere else.

stillers4me
11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Did anybody really expect the Rooney's to write a check for nearly a million dollars in the middle of the season because it rained on Monday night football??

This is what we got.............the players say they will deal with it. Good enough for me.

It's football, not tennis. The Bungles fans I'm around are all bent out of shape about their "star" players having to play on less than perfect conditions. They seem to forget that their own field was natural grass until a few years ago and the Bengals don't even have an indoor practice facility. They practice outside on real grass. I don't think it will phase them much......I would love to see Peyton or Tommy Boy turf surfing!

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Outstanding for Heinz Field is unacceptable everywhere else.

That's the way it appears year after year.

It would be different if this problem started to occur THIS season. What's the excuse/explanation for the field looking like complete hell come November every year since the field opened? Hopefully next season we will not have this problem.

GeneralRobinson
11-30-2007, 04:34 PM
There's a difference between a field looking like hell and and being unplayable. Everybody says we have a shite field. But Steelers are 16-4 at Heinz Field in the second half of their home schedule since 2003. That's an 80% winning percentage. Obviously the club performs well on the natural surface, especially during the cold months. So despite its looks, you have to admit that the field playing conditions are fine as evidenced by our record.

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Multple tarps to keep the rain that is supposed to come on Saturday off of the playing field.

But would not one assume an "outstanding" field drains?

RoethlisBURGHer
11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
But would not one assume an "outstanding" field drains?

Did it drain on Monday?

Haiku_Dirtt
11-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Fantastic (A)
Beautiful (B)
Wonderful (C)
Outstanding (D)
Good (F)

Unbelievable

We ARE talking about a family with an infamous history at the track. Outstanding is relative to which horse you're 'riding' the bets. :smile:

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 05:43 PM
We ARE talking about a family with an infamous history at the track. Outstanding is relative to which horse you're 'riding' the bets. :smile:

:toofunny:

That was good.

X-Terminator
11-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

FieldTurf next season, please!

revefsreleets
11-30-2007, 05:57 PM
We will see Sunday Night. I'm not ready to toss anybody named Rooney under the bus over one game just yet.

noto45
11-30-2007, 06:08 PM
since we have the turf to ourselves can we paint the endzone like we used to in three rivers I loved that. also if we get field turf can we have it painted for steeler games and switch out sections for panther games?

call me old fashioned but i miss the paint on the turf!

Jman
11-30-2007, 06:17 PM
There's a difference between a field looking like hell and and being unplayable. Everybody says we have a shite field. But Steelers are 16-4 at Heinz Field in the second half of their home schedule since 2003. That's an 80% winning percentage. Obviously the club performs well on the natural surface, especially during the cold months. So despite its looks, you have to admit that the field playing conditions are fine as evidenced by our record.

:iagree:

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-30-2007, 06:23 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

FieldTurf next season, please!
If the Steeler players want the grass keep it!

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Did it drain on Monday?

Umm - no - of course it was not "outstanding" then either

Rhee Rhee
11-30-2007, 06:53 PM
o my... let's hope and pray that the field is decent.

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2007, 07:07 PM

yeah, maybe instal heating under neath the field next year to help with the rain and snow?

Glace
11-30-2007, 07:36 PM
What a bunch of whiners.

The field is not going to be as bad as it was Monday night. Like the players were quoted as saying, it took a perfect circumstance to soak the field that badly monday night.

The field has had time to drain, the sod is firm. They're laying down extra tarps to make sure what happened monday night does not happen again.

What more do you guys want?

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2007, 08:09 PM
What a bunch of whiners.

The field is not going to be as bad as it was Monday night.

Really shooting for the stars, eh?

Few fields in recent NFL history have been as bad as that field was Monday night - that is like the owner of the Titanic promising its customers a better cruise next time.

The "perfect storm" analogy is getting old real fast - it is not as if it rained a foot in 1 hour.

When you lay down sod with no roots on top of the previous field and force it together to avoid seams since it certainly is not going to grow together in 24 hours there is no drainage.

Two questions I would like the answer to from the Rooneys:

1. When the NFL schedule was drawn up, did anyone consider giving the field a rest after the 4 high school games for the weekend or at least not stacking up 6 games in four days?

2. Was there any discussion at all about WTF do we think will happen to the new field if it rains?

IMO it is hard to argue either issue was unforeseeable - saying you can do something and then clearly not being able to do it indicates incompetence or delusional thinking that gets folks fired in most lines of work - only the Post Office provides greater job security than being the Heinz Field groundskeeper.

Steel Warrior
11-30-2007, 08:45 PM
The field looked like crap and so the Einstein's at the NFL said "throw 4 inches of fresh sod over it, it will work, er........should work, er........could work, we never tried it before". The field would have drained one helluva lot better if they just would have left it the way it was. That sod acted like a big sponge and will again for the rest of the season.
:smoker:

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
delusional thinking that gets folks fired in most lines of work - only the Post Office provides greater job security than being the Heinz Field groundskeeper.[/has a weatherman ever been fired for being wrong ? :huh:

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2007, 08:56 PM
has a weatherman ever been fired for being wrong ? :huh:

Over time if a weatherman blows the forecast yeah, I bet he or she gets fired

OneForTheToe
11-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Really shooting for the stars, eh?

Two questions I would like the answer to from the Rooneys:

1. When the NFL schedule was drawn up, did anyone consider giving the field a rest after the 4 high school games for the weekend or at least not stacking up 6 games in four days?

Not sure what you are getting at with this question. I don't think the Rooney's control the High School playoff schedule, nor Pitt's schedule, or even the NFL schedule.

What they do control is the turf. And I do agree that they should have not tried to install a new surface, with little drainage, given the weather forecast. Hopefully next season, even if we don't have field turf (which unfortunately I am warming up to), we get a break on the schedule and the Steelers have an away game after the high school playoff weekend.

As I said I am warming up to field turf, but if not at least use more thought in installing a new natural surface. I'm sure the ground crew did everything they could, but simply did not have time. Next time, if there is one, allow time for the new sod to settle and install some drainage on the new surface. In this case, it would have been better to have played the Monday night game on the old surface, and installed the new one for this weekend. And please, buy a better tarp.

Atlanta Dan
12-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Not sure what you are getting at with this question. I don't think the Rooney's control the High School playoff schedule, nor Pitt's schedule, or even the NFL schedule.

What they do control is the turf. And I do agree that they should have not tried to install a new surface, with little drainage, given the weather forecast. Hopefully next season, even if we don't have field turf (which unfortunately I am warming up to), we get a break on the schedule and the Steelers have an away game after the high school playoff weekend.

As I said I am warming up to field turf, but if not at least use more thought in installing a new natural surface. I'm sure the ground crew did everything they could, but simply did not have time. Next time, if there is one, allow time for the new sod to settle and install some drainage on the new surface. In this case, it would have been better to have played the Monday night game on the old surface, and installed the new one for this weekend. And please, buy a better tarp.

What I am getting at is why not tell the league this past spring when the schedule was drawn up that with 4 high school games (which are always played the Friday after Thanksgiving) and Pitt (which makes its schedule years in advance) being set to use Heinz that it might not be a bright idea to have the Steelers also play at home the Sunday or Monday after Thanksgiving? There was no doubt that field would need some work after 5 games in 48 hours.

The Steelers obviously do not control who they play or where, but they presumably have some input into when the games are scheduled, based on my recollection that when the Steelers were in TRS the Pirates used TRS on Sundays in September and during the October playoffs. Playing the Miami game any other week of the season and having the Steelers on the road last weekend does not seem impossible. This AP article states my point:

What the NFL should have done was note that the high school playoffs were set for the weekend after Thanksgiving, then schedule around it. After all, the NFL has always worked around other events, especially when multipurpose stadiums were the rule rather than the exception.

When the New York Jets played at Shea Stadium, for example, they often played two or three road games in September because the Mets had priority there.

The baseball and football Cardinals in St. Louis used to juggle their way through September, and the Pirates and Steelers did it in Pittsburgh -- to the point where football games in early October were usually against division rivals so if the local baseball team made the postseason, the home-and-home series could be flipped. Same thing in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Seattle, San Diego and San Francisco when those cities had shared fields.

The same thing is still done in Oakland and Minneapolis. And weather is often factored in, too. Until the Cardinals got their new stadium in Arizona, the NFL put the Cardinals on the road more often than not early in the season to avoid the searing desert heat.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_540451.html

Of course to request such an accommodation would require an admission to the league office that the field is not consistently "outstanding" and the Rooneys are in denial about that.

Borski
12-01-2007, 10:42 AM
yeah, maybe instal heating under neath the field next year to help with the rain and snow?

I hope they don't install a heater...I love the snow games.

OneForTheToe
12-01-2007, 04:05 PM
What I am getting at is why not tell the league this past spring when the schedule was drawn up that with 4 high school games (which are always played the Friday after Thanksgiving) and Pitt (which makes its schedule years in advance) being set to use Heinz that it might not be a bright idea to have the Steelers also play at home the Sunday or Monday after Thanksgiving? There was no doubt that field would need some work after 5 games in 48 hours.

If the NFL would do that that would be great. I'm not saying the field would be great,.but if you did have a week to work on the field (with new sod) after the high school playoffs , the field could be decent, since it would only be the Steelers using the field the rest of the year.

X-Terminator
12-02-2007, 12:10 AM

That may be, but it's obvious that grass isn't working at Heinz. We lost Dan Kreider for the rest of the season because of that field on Monday. Do you want to see Ben or Willie lost for the season because of poor field conditions? I don't.

Rip it up.

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Ed.B. of the P-G, who has been attacking the quality of the field for years, swoops in for the kill:

If you don't think Heinz Field needs FieldTurf ... then go eat dirt

Offensive tackle Max Starks said one of the problems with the Heinz Field goop is that his feet stuck.

"In that situation, longer cleats wouldn't even help just because your feet sunk all the way into the ground anyway,'' Starks said. "A couple of us put on longer spikes but in the end it really didn't make a difference ... you're still going to mush everywhere and there's still going to be potholes."

Imagine, an offensive lineman having his feet stuck as a defensive lineman bull-rushes him, knocks him sideways and his feet won't give. Snap! There goes the ACL.

I'm not sure how fullback Dan Kreider's ACL was torn Monday night, but it occurred in Heinz Field and not on artificial turf and it's the most serious Steelers injury of the season.

And this idea that it's the same for both teams does not wash, either. The Steelers were 16-point favorites. The weather and the field combined to help the Dolphins, not the Steelers. Conditions like those almost always help the underdog or the team with less talent. It's not called the great equalizer for nothing.

What the Steelers are doing at Heinz would be similar to someone at the Indianapolis Speedway looking over his track and saying, rip up the artificial stuff and let's install real dirt. Real dirt is what auto racing should be. It's old-school.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07336/838465-66.stm