PDA

View Full Version : Steelers preparing for snow

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Steelers preparing for snow
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 1, 2007

Sunday night's forecast for the Steelers-Cincinnati Bengals clash at Heinz Field?
Wet, but perhaps not so wild.

With the National Weather Service forecasting rain turning to snow, the condition of the playing field again becomes the big story for the Steelers' nationally televised game against the Bengals.

Since Monday night's debacle, when rain turned a newly resodded Heinz Field into mush, the Steelers have turned their attention to fixing the problem.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said Friday the team spent the week drying out the waterlogged field.
"We're continuing our preparations to ensure the field is in the best possible condition for Sunday,'' Lockett said.

Lockett said the new field that was laid over the existing one after the South Florida-Pitt game Saturday wasn't replaced following the Monday night contest. He added workers may have moved some of the sod around, but no new strips of turf were added to the field.

The National Football League is working with the Steelers to help prepare Heinz Field for the second nationally televised game in seven days.

Earlier this week, team president Art Rooney II said the problem occurred when heavy rain overwhelmed tarps covering the field.

The National Weather Service recorded 1.31 inches of rain at Pittsburgh International Airport on Monday.

Leaky seams in the tarp caused rain to pool in areas around the goal line, midfield and the 25-yard line, resulting in players on both teams slogging through water and mud.

Extra tarps were used to cover areas where the leaks occured.

"I think by Sunday (the field) will be in great shape," Rooney said.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis altered his practice schedule this week to prepare for playing at Heinz Field.

Instead of practicing the last two days on FieldTurf at Paul Brown Stadium, the Bengals moved to their practice facility, which has a grass field.

"You definitely have to put in longer cleats. You saw that stuff on Monday night," Bengals running back Rudi Johnson said. "We'll see. It's cool. It'll be fun. I won't be worried about the field at all."

Steelers guard Alan Faneca is prepared for anything.

When told the weather for Sunday night could include rain and snow, Faneca smiled.

"Bring on the slop," he said.

stillers4me
12-01-2007, 07:02 AM
"Bring on the slop," he said.

Neverfear, Alan.......the Bungles are on their way.

Yessir....we've had some mighty fine games in the snow.........

HometownGal
12-01-2007, 08:49 AM
If we do get snow in the Burgh on Sunday night, it won't be much, so it shouldn't affect the game all that much. It's the forecast of rain off and on during the day and evening with winds 20-30 mph that concerns me more.

Sunday: Cloudy with periods of light rain. High 48F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Sunday night: Windy with periods of rain. Low around 35F. Winds SW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

TackleMeBen
12-01-2007, 09:05 AM
is mother nature not a steeler fan??? first the ravens game it rains, then the fins game it rains... and now for the bengals its going to rain??? i guess she has it in for us..lol...

Lok1GT
12-01-2007, 09:14 AM
She's making it harder for us so we can prepare to finally put a stop to the Patsies.

Big D
12-01-2007, 09:18 AM
If the weather is crap come sunday I guarantee victory over the bungles. Reason being when the weather is a factor typically it's the battle of defenses. And the bengals d doesnt hold a candle to ours

jjpro11
12-01-2007, 10:35 AM
i might have to bench ben in favor of jason campbell. i hate making these choices.

Edman
12-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Advantage: Steelers.

This team has dealt with bad weather conditions several times this year. I say bring on the snow.

19ward86
12-01-2007, 12:09 PM
i think willie needs to have a 175 yardage or better night on sunday, he hasnt had any big games this year really. he also needs some TD's. how does he go from 16 all the way down to 2. who is he tiki barber? haha

The Duke
12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Willie plus Snow plus Bengals D= amazing game!

HometownGal
12-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Update on Burgh forecast for Sunday night. Ughhhhh.

Sunday: Steady light rain in the morning. Showers continuing in the afternoon. High 48F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Sunday night: Windy with periods of rain. Low near 35F. Winds SW at 20 to 30 mph. Rainfall around a half an inch.

nojobny
12-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Joy. I'd rather snow than rain. Either way it's going to be cold.

HometownGal
12-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Joy. I'd rather snow than rain. Either way it's going to be cold.

It will be soooo nice watching the game from my nice, warm LR or up at the local sports bar. I love winter and everything associated with it, but sitting in that stadium with the rain and/or snow coming down with winds at 20-30 mph freezing my doopa off for 3-4 hours? No thank you!

Big D
12-01-2007, 04:32 PM
It will be soooo nice watching the game from my nice, warm LR or up at the local sports bar. I love winter and everything associated with it, but sitting in that stadium with the rain and/or snow coming down with winds at 20-30 mph freezing my doopa off for 3-4 hours? No thank you!

I recommend large quanities of alcohal. Have a few hottie totties and you will be down in a tank top before you know it

43SteelCurtainRevolution
12-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Weather Update from the National Weather Service. Sorry guys.

Sunday Night: Periods of rain showers, mainly before 2am. Low around 31. South wind 9 to 18 mph becoming west. Winds could gust as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

So pray for snow but expect rain . .
~

jjpro11
12-01-2007, 06:02 PM

yeah.. not really my thing either.. thats why i try to get tickets for pre-november games only.

GeneralRobinson
12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
That forecasted rainfall is much less than Monday.

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2007, 06:53 PM
what's a doopa ??? :huh:

Preacher
12-01-2007, 07:04 PM
I just checked the weather channel online..

It will be 60 degrees, with a small chance of rain..

Oh wait, that is where I live! :banana::chicken:

Sorry! :wink02:

revefsreleets
12-01-2007, 07:14 PM
what's a doopa ??? :huh:

Polish vernacular for butt.

Snow is fine. Their game is much more dependent on the vertical than ours.

msafford
12-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I just checked the weather channel online..

It will be 60 degrees, with a small chance of rain..

Oh wait, that is where I live! :banana::chicken:

Sorry! :wink02:

You stink. :flap:

TackleMeBen
12-01-2007, 07:23 PM
i dont mind sitting out in the snow and rain watching a football game.

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Apparently there is going to be a quarter inch of rain with temps in the high 30s/low 40s during the day and into the mid/high 40s throughout the game with no ice/snow - let's see how "outstanding" the field looks around 10 p.m. tonight.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/sports/hourbyhour/15241?from=36hr_fcstHourLink_sports

Big D
12-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Apparently there is going to be a quarter inch of rain with temps in the high 30s/low 40s during the day and into the mid/high 40s throughout the game with no ice/snow - let's see how "outstanding" the field looks around 10 p.m. tonight.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/sports/hourbyhour/15241?from=36hr_fcstHourLink_sports

looks like we will have mud bowl 2 tonight

Elvis
12-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I dont mind seeing those nasty games sometimes, but 2 weeks in a row is gonna be bad. I was hoping for a nice weather game before we make our trip to New England next week. This game is very important for us as is all our division games. Cleveland plays at Arizona today and it sounds like all the fans over at Clevelandbrowns.com see pretty over confident to me. We must get out of this game healthier than we are now.
:tt02:

HometownGal
12-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Cleveland plays at Arizona today and it sounds like all the fans over at Clevelandbrowns.com see pretty over confident to me. We must get out of this game healthier than we are now.
:tt02:

Nothing wrong with being confident, but some of the Browns fans lately are acting like the Browns are the second coming of the Patsies. I see Arizona beating them by at least 10.

RIght now, we're having rain with some sleet mixed in here in the Burgh. Updated forecast:

Sunday: Rain likely. High 51F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch.

Sunday night: Windy with evening rain...then a mix of rain and snow overnight. Low near 35F. Winds SW at 20 to 30 mph.

stillers4me
12-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Nothing wrong with being confident, but some of the Browns fans lately are acting like the Browns are the second coming of the Patsies. I see Arizona beating them by at least 10.

RIght now, we're having rain with some sleet mixed in here in the Burgh. Updated forecast:

I'm hoping Whis will do his ole buddies a favor today by whooping some Brownie butt. :cheers:

Another game to keep an eye on.......Jags and Colts.

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm hoping Whis will do his ole buddies a favor today by whooping some Brownie butt. :cheers:

Another game to keep an eye on.......Jags and Colts.

This is a real chance for a changing of the guard in the AFC South.

Whiz will need to hope to score in the 30s; the Cardinals defense has lost its Pro Bowl safety.

If the Browns win today the Steelers division hopes have no margin for error

jjpro11
12-02-2007, 11:25 AM
This is a real chance for a changing of the guard in the AFC South.

Whiz will need to hope to score in the 30s; the Cardinals defense has lost its Pro Bowl safety.

If the Browns win today the Steelers division hopes have no margin for error

it looks like larry fitz isnt playing either. they luck out again.

HometownGal
12-02-2007, 12:33 PM
it looks like larry fitz isnt playing either. they luck out again.

The Cards still have Boldin who is a darned good wideout, along with Bryant Johnson (out of PSU!) who is a deep threat. Against the Browns' pourous D, I think they're going to score a lot of points. :thumbsup:

steelpride12
12-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Did you say snow. That reminds of my first Steeler game and a very good game against a good team i think in was Dec. 11 2005 against the Bears in the snow when Bettis had his snow tires on hah thats great!

stillers4me
12-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I see the wind is kicking up in the Burgh. Wind Advisory until 11 pm. Nice.

HometownGal
12-02-2007, 05:50 PM
The winds are picking up a bit, but nothing alarming right now. It is still raining, as it has been most of the day, but has decreased to a light drizzle for now. Fingers (and toes) crossed that the winds die down and the rain stops or at the very least, stays a very light drizzle.

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2007, 06:00 PM
The winds are picking up a bit, but nothing alarming right now. It is still raining, as it has been most of the day, but has decreased to a light drizzle for now. Fingers (and toes) crossed that the winds die down and the rain stops or at the very least, stays a very light drizzle.

I'd take that.

lilyoder6
12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
personally i want it to snow.. i think it will be great...

HometownGal
12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
It is literally TEAMING down rain here in the Burgh. :dang::dang::dang:

Big D
12-02-2007, 07:25 PM
It is literally TEAMING down rain here in the Burgh. :dang::dang::dang:

now I really wish this was a day game and not on national tv. Espically after last week we dont need more bad press about our poor field conditions

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
now I really wish this was a day game and not on national tv. Espically after last week we dont need more bad press about our poor field conditions

If you have a bad roof that leaks whenever it rains you replace the roof rather than hope it does not rain - as the cliche goes, the Steelers are going in a different direction.

Is the cutout square in the center of the field where the logo used to go?