PDA

View Full Version : Buckeyes back into 'quarterfinals'

Haiku_Dirtt
12-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Thoroughly disgusted that OSU somehow evades another matchup with USC. Go ahead and laugh Buckeye fans because this will come to an end next year. Avoiding losses is what you do very well.

Pete Carroll has bigger ****s than that. Just ask Virginia Tech, Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Michigan, Iowa, the Irish how well the Trojans under PC play out of conference.

What a way for Pitt to crawl out from under a rock and put the deadly sting into the BCS picture. Very happy for the Panthers.

Look for the semifinalists LSU and USC not to meet in the Finals again. 2004 all over again.

Steeler in Carolina
12-01-2007, 11:27 PM
I still can't believe USC lost to Stanford this year.

revefsreleets
12-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Are you INSANE? OSU was the entity that actively sought out top opponents for out of conference games about 5 years ago. They did well. Next year we will go on the road in week 3 and play in LA against USC. We asked for it. You didn't. Always remember that.

If USC wanted to play OSU for a nc game, they should have beaten Stanford. OSU could have run a frosh team against the Cardinal and won, and done it on the road. You have no legs to stand on until you beat OSU next year, if you can.

revefsreleets
12-01-2007, 11:51 PM
It's just more hate. It's all good, Haiku. Just make sure you take care of business against whatever team ends up in the Rose Bowl. No team has underperformed more than USC in the last few years.

bengals_in_miami
12-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Thoroughly disgusted that OSU somehow evades another matchup with USC. Go ahead and laugh Buckeye fans because this will come to an end next year. Avoiding losses is what you do very well.

Pete Carroll has bigger ****s than that. Just ask Virginia Tech, Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Michigan, Iowa, the Irish how well the Trojans under PC play out of conference.

What a way for Pitt to crawl out from under a rock and put the deadly sting into the BCS picture. Very happy for the Panthers.

Look for the semifinalists LSU and USC not to meet in the Finals again. 2004 all over again.erm, I am a UM fan and that is a dumb post.

Next year and the following year OSU and USC have scheduled a home and away series

:dang: (I have 6 posts and I have used that smily wayyyyy too much, dang steeler fans)

Haiku_Dirtt
12-03-2007, 12:03 AM
WAIT. WAIT. I meant GO BUCKEYES. BEAT THE TIGERS! BEAT THE TIGERS!

Now that they put the Fighting Illini in the Rose Bowl I'm downloading my Ohio State ringtone and going to Home Depot to buy the paint. Do any OSU faithful have the color formulas?

Since watching OSU and SC going head to head will have to wait until the 2008 regular season the sloppy consolation will just have to be a beat down of the only team the Buckeyes couldn't compete with this season. :smile:

fansince'76
12-03-2007, 12:04 AM
erm, I am a UM fan and that is a dumb post.

Next year and the following year OSU and USC have scheduled a home and away series

:dang: (I have 6 posts and I have used that smily wayyyyy too much, dang steeler fans)

I have a feeling this tool won't be back. What a shame. :coffee:

Haiku_Dirtt
12-03-2007, 12:08 AM
I still can't believe USC lost to Stanford this year.

Yeah. Booty should have pulled himself in the third quarter. Broken hands and interceptions are not a healthy way to play.

But just imagine...

Jim Harbaugh talking about how his team beat the team that beat the team that beat the team that beats LSU on Jan. 7, 2008.

Would that make the Stanford Cardinal better than the team that beat LSU? :wink02:

revefsreleets
12-03-2007, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't get so overconfident about Illinois. There is a valid reason they beat the Buckeyes. They spread the field and run the ball, and they play pretty solid defense. They got better every week, and are peaking at the right time.

While USC is "settling" for the Rose Bowl, it's a dream game and a once in a lifetime thing for these Illini. They are going to be frontrunners next year and a huge win against a perennial powerhouse would be an excellent springboard into next year.

TackleMeBen
12-03-2007, 12:47 PM
well i am not sure if OSU can beat LSU... it seems like the SEC loves to make OSU their bitch. OSU is 0-8 when playing an SEC team... sorry rev, i just cant pull for OSU... so GO LSU TIGERS!!!!

revefsreleets
12-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Actually, they are now 0-9, which is largely inexcusable. The one thing that can be said about this is that this is a cummulative record over many years, and OSU has never played an SEC bottom feeder like Vandy or Ole Miss. The losses are to quality opponents, and I think 7 of 9 were ranked higher.

Here's the "quick and dirty" break-down:

A) Coaching. Tress uncharacteristically let his team get complacent last year. The Bucks looked fat and slow and undisciplined, and none of those are marks of a Jim Tressel coached football team. I think he will have this team honed to a razor-edge sharpness.
B) LSU has a pure pocket passer in Flynn, and he's not even that particularly great at that. The formula for beating OSU is spread the field and have a running QB. They have lost 4 games since a late loss in 2004 to Purdue, and all have come against teams that spread the field and had running QB's. (Vince Young, Mike Robinson, Tim Tebow and other Florida players, and Juice Williams).
C) OSU's dominant defense. Sorry, but LSU hasn't seen a defense like the Buckeyes all year. They are fast and strong. They can pressure the QB and have the kind of cover corners that can be left one-on-one in the seconday. Vern Gholston is beast at DE and seems to get better by the game. Nothing more even needs to be said about "Little Animal".
D) Balanced OSU offense. If Boeckman plays to his potential, they are very dangerous. Big, strong and fast. The OL is much improved over last years unit, and Beanie Wells has been running like a man possessed over the last part of the season. The WR's are both excellent as well.
E) OSU's special teams are excellent.

Bottom line: The Buckeyes will be underdogs, probably by at least 5 points, and they will win by at least 10. The underdog roles suits them much better. The only weakness they have is Todd Boeckman, and he's capable of being dominant when he plays well.

Haiku_Dirtt
12-17-2007, 03:49 AM
A) Coaching. Tress uncharacteristically let his team get complacent last year. The Bucks looked fat and slow and undisciplined, and none of those are marks of a Jim Tressel coached football team. I think he will have this team honed to a razor-edge sharpness.

C) OSU's dominant defense. Sorry, but LSU hasn't seen a defense like the Buckeyes all year. They are fast and strong. They can pressure the QB and have the kind of cover corners that can be left one-on-one in the seconday. Vern Gholston is beast at DE and seems to get better by the game. Nothing more even needs to be said about "Little Animal"..

Ron Zook's Crocs or Gators won a Title without him. Urban Meyer is now staring into the looking glass. Tress' dress may be dapper but complacency comes from within.

And what excuse - NO...WHAT FAITH - do Bucks fans take from playing Youngstown State and Akron being fully heathy and at home. And how can you trust your team to win a big game if they don't play a big game until it's too late.

USC shut down Adrian Peterson in the National Championship game and shut down Darren McFadden not once but TWICE. And Vern Gholstori may be called the "Little Animal" but Sedrick Ellis IS called the "BEAST."

Believe me. Pete Carroll is not overlooking Illinois. There is a reason he lost only one out-of-conference in the last 75 (or so) games. And being up 12 points with about 7 minutes to play against Texas it's not like he had his head handed to him by the Gators ex-Zook.

But maybe Gordon Gee is the answer?

revefsreleets
12-22-2007, 07:47 PM
I can't keep up with all the "mixed metaphors" here. You a 4:20 man?

What do the in-state games have to do with this? I mean, if you want, we could compare ranks, and Akron is actually probably the stronger team vs. Stanford. Injuries are an excuse, yes, but, dude, it's college football. These teams have 100+ players. Appy State beating Michigan was NOT the upset of the year. They are a quality football team. The Cardinal pretty much sucks open ass.

And what does Gordon Gee have to do with all this?

Rhee Rhee
12-25-2007, 03:43 AM
USC has by far the most talent in the NCAA

revefsreleets
12-25-2007, 07:57 PM
And what did all that talent do for them against Stanford, at HOME?

That loss is inexcusable. That and the UM loss to Appy will (and should) haunt both those programs for years.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Haiku, did I just read about your playing quality opponents like Notre Dame?

Notre Dame was so bad this year that the top prep high schools could probally beat them. By naming them, you discredit your entire idea that we "backed" into anything.

And BTW, when we scheduled Washington, it was when they were winning the Pac 10 and going to the Rose Bowl on a consistant basis, we scheduled them with the belief that they would be a good team. It isn't our fault they couldn't sustain it.

And I am sick of hearing all this "Ohio State schedules nobody" garbage I have heard from the haters all season.

1999-2000: Opened up the season with a loss to the Miami Hurricaines
2000-2001: Played Arizona (don't know how good they were at the time)
2001-2002: Played at UCLA
2002-2003: Played Texas Tech (I don't think they were very good that year though, and if they weren't then we didn't play a big game until we beat Miami)
2003-2004: North Carolina State (with Phillip Rivers, this was a good team)
2004-2005: At North Carolina State (again with Phillip Rivers)
2005-2006: Texas, the team that beats USC for the National Championship
2006-2007: At Texas, who was #2 when we played them (and Michigan was #2 when we played them at the end of the year too)
2007-2008: Washington (made with expectations they were going to be good from almost a decade ago)
2008-2009: At USC, which will likley be a #1 v. #2 matchup
2009-2010: USC, which will likley be a matchup of two Top 12 teams, possibly including the #1 team in the country
2010-2011: Miami comes to Columbus, and they should be a force by this time.
2011-2012: We will probally be going to Miami

From the rumors, we are trying to set up future Home and Home games with the likes of Virginia Tech, Texas (again), Oklahoma, hopefully another series with USC, UCLA (who Rick Neuheisal should have competing for Pac 10 Titles), and hopefully Georgia, Tennesse, and Alabama if they are willing to travel to Columbus one of two seasons.

revefsreleets
12-31-2007, 09:22 AM
There are other teams we are scheduling, like Cal and a couple other top tier programs. Forget the SEC, we asked and they answered no, since they don't want to play home and homes away from the Southeast. But the Buckeyes have at least one top 20 ooc school scheduled each year for at least the next 11 years, and it's safe to assume that the Big Ten will return to prominence over that span as well. No surprises if the Buckeyes have to play many top 25 teams each year over the next decade or so.

ohiosteelerfan20
01-01-2008, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=RoethlisBURGHer;346890]

And BTW, when we scheduled Washington, it was when they were winning the Pac 10 and going to the Rose Bowl on a consistant basis, we scheduled them with the belief that they would be a good team. It isn't our fault they couldn't sustain it.

Washington:nono: has not won the pac10 outright since 1992. They shared the title in 1995 and 2000. And by the way when was Kent St., Youngstown St., Bowling Green and Akron been any good.:flap:

Haiku_Dirtt
01-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Now I can see why the Buckeyes lost to Illinois. There are a few NFL prospects playing for Zook.

Rashard Mendenhall has one helluva engine under his hood. And how OSU could put 21 points on that defense is astonishing to me.

2008 is working as planned. Just beat LSU so USC can strip a share of a Title away from everyone. :smile:

revefsreleets
01-02-2008, 08:53 AM
USC vs Georgia and Hawaii vs Illinois would have been better match-ups. Illinois played poorly yesterday and USC was clicking. Yesterday was also a perfect example of why statements like:

Appy St. beat Michigan
Michigan beat Florida
ergo, Appy State is better than Florida

Don't wash. Illinois played their best game against OSU who played their worst, and the Buckeyes still blew 4-5 chances to pull off the win. USC can whine about shares of national titles all day and all night, but the title belongs to the winner of the OSU/LSU game, and not a team that lost to Stanford at home.

MasterOfPuppets
01-02-2008, 01:49 PM
one more season....one more reason....for a playoff system !!!

revefsreleets
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
If it doesn't happen next season (and it won't) it never will. It's flawed and we'll just have to deal. In the meantime, with few exceptions, there are a few ground rules for teams who want to play in the NC game in the future:

A) Schedule strong ooc (Hawaii failed this year, and Auburn from a few years ago was the original model)

B) If you lose, lose early (OSU and LSU got a pass but it was a weird season)

C) Don't lose badly to good teams (VT crushed by LSU early killed their NC hopes)

D) Don't lose to awful teams (Michigan is one thing, but USC losing to Stanford will always be worse in my book)

E) Tradition counts. Don't expect breaks if your program isn't a perennial power (see A above also)