PDA

View Full Version : O-line misses Russ

SteelDogFan
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I am currently watching the Arizona / Browns game and the Cards online is doing a really good job. They also run a single back with lots of three wide receiver sets. Edge is running the ball well and Warner is having decent game (only sacked once). James is about to go over a hundred yards. The Cards are doing what the Steelers used to do at the end of games running the ball and using up the clock.

I don't think its lack of play on the O-line it may just be fundamentals and having a really good o-line coach. Not that we don't but everyone knows what Russ brings to the table.

Heres a thought Alan Faneca Doesn't leave the Steelers next year but stays on as the o-line coach. After so many years his knowledge would be well appreciated.

The Duke
12-02-2007, 06:15 PM
I agreed until you said Alan Faneca as our o line coach. You were joking right? The guy still wants to play( and get paid). He still has some years left in him.

But yeah, the o line may be missing a good o line coach, not necessarily Russ Grimm

Atlanta Dan
12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I am currently watching the Arizona / Browns game and the Cards online is doing a really good job. They also run a single back with lots of three wide receiver sets. Edge is running the ball well and Warner is having decent game (only sacked once). James is about to go over a hundred yards. The Cards are doing what the Steelers used to do at the end of games running the ball and using up the clock.

I don't think its lack of play on the O-line it may just be fundamentals and having a really good o-line coach. Not that we don't but everyone knows what Russ brings to the table.

Heres a thought Alan Faneca Doesn't leave the Steelers next year but stays on as the o-line coach. After so many years his knowledge would be well appreciated.

Other than last drive for the FG I did not see a lot of power blocking from the Cards.

What I did see were numerous motion penalties and several blatant holding penalties..

The only way Russ was staying was as HC, which IMO would have been a disaster.

You can't coach players to be talented and Mahan, Starks, Simmons & Colon are nobody's Pro Bowl candidates. The O-line was horrible last year too.

Big D
12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
The O-line was horrible last year too.

I couldnt agree with you more. I think people forget how bad then run blocking and passing was last year. It didnt really hurt my feelings to see grimm and whiz go

tony hipchest
12-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Heres a thought Alan Faneca Doesn't leave the Steelers next year but stays on as the o-line coach. After so many years his knowledge would be well appreciated.maybe the steelers will make him assistant head coach. :rolleyes:

BozMan
12-03-2007, 12:05 AM
I couldnt agree with you more. I think people forget how bad then run blocking and passing was last year. It didnt really hurt my feelings to see grimm and whiz go

Yup. I've frequently wondered this year if Grimm's departure has hurt our o-line's play. But then I remember that Grimm was here last year when the o-line also stunk it up.

In retrospect, this might have been at least one of the reasons Tomlin beat out Grimm for the HC job. Why give someone a promotion when his unit did a poor job?

Steeldude
12-03-2007, 01:57 AM
when grimm was here the protection was poor and the running game was not consistent. the O-line has been on the decline for 5 years.

anyone see simmons get schooled on the "almost safety"? that was simmons at his best.

Steel Pit
12-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Grimm's a BUM!

Michael Keller
12-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Other than last drive for the FG I did not see a lot of power blocking from the Cards.

What I did see were numerous motion penalties and several blatant holding penalties..

The only way Russ was staying was as HC, which IMO would have been a disaster.

You can't coach players to be talented and Mahan, Starks, Simmons & Colon are nobody's Pro Bowl candidates. The O-line was horrible last year too.

Grimm's offensive line run blocking did not impress me . You can only coach to the level of talent you have. Howevr last night's pass protection was encouraging. Starks for whatever reason unknown to me looked sharp. As the columinst Harris said in his todays' column the Steelers are WORK IN PROGRESS.

They must get better and must get consistent and it is not unrealstic to expect this from this team. We are probably going to learn a great about our Steelers in our next game. We have everything to gain in this game and very little to lose.

Rhee Rhee
12-03-2007, 03:45 PM

are u kidding? he's got at least 4 or 5 years left in him... he'd freak if we asked him to come back as a coach