PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree?????

therocksteeler
12-03-2007, 02:52 AM
Who here thinks as I do? Willie Parker needs to lose those elbow braces he wore tonight? If he removed only one, using that hand/arm to carry the ball I think it would be an improvement. Also Willie is stutter stepping to much before hitting his gaps in the O-Line. I feel when he does this it really puts him at a disadvantage. Gives the second level of denfences time to move on his route and stop him.

What do you guys think?

geo123
12-03-2007, 05:40 AM
I agree he should try playing w/o those things. I'm not sure what his running problem is but if it doesn't change they'll have to stop calling him "fast".

Steel Pit
12-03-2007, 06:03 AM
My concern is that you can bet your bottom dollar that the Patriots were watching last night. I'm sure that they will game plan to strip Willie of the ball.

One would think that those elbow pads are made of rubber which typically will grip the ball. I don't know, maybe he should try a set of elbow pads that are designed with Kung Fu-Action Grip material.

steelpride12
12-03-2007, 06:22 AM
I hope this does not become a big deal and it was a one game problem. Parker has played in many wet games and fumbles every 86 carries which is average.
I feel it was a bad night for him, but mabey removing the braclet is the best thing to do.

geo123
12-03-2007, 07:06 AM
[QUOTE=Steel Pit;332589]My concern is that you can bet your bottom dollar that the Patriots were watching last night. I'm sure that they will game plan to strip Willie of the ball.

I agree certain teams seem to do this more and are better at it; the Pats are one of those teams.

Lok1GT
12-03-2007, 07:13 AM
I think the problem was discovered after the first half and it was too late for him to change into a long sleeve shirt which may have been his only other option.

SCSTILLER
12-03-2007, 07:38 AM
One more thing for Parker, when you are in/on a dog pile and you are nowhere near the first down or the endzone, don't stretch the ball out trying to gain extra feet. If you are near the endzone, I can understand that with trying to get the ball across the plane. What killed me is he JUST has a fumble overturned and then he pulls this knuckleheaded move. Just hold on to the ball and keep what yards you already had.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-03-2007, 07:42 AM
As much as I hate to agree with Madden..he did bring up the obvious point that wet rubber is ....SLICK!

Okay I did it...I gave my ONE valid point to Madden for the year......I have to admit though, I was getting very uncomforatable with Madden talking about Palmers "large hands and loooong fingers."

GBMelBlount
12-03-2007, 07:57 AM
One more thing for Parker, when you are in/on a dog pile and you are nowhere near the first down or the endzone, don't stretch the ball out trying to gain extra feet.

Completely Agree.

....I have to admit though, I was getting very uncomfortable with Madden talking about Palmers "large hands and loooong fingers." :chuckle:

DACEB
12-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Bettis wore those same elbow protectors and never had a problem so I'm not sure what the problem was last night. The Bengals definetely go after the ball with FWP without a doubt and you can expect the Pats to do the same.

IMO it was just a matter of Willie trying to do to much in bad conditions. Too much twisting and turning for extra yardage after the initial hit, not good conditions for that. I expect Willie to bounce back from that, but I think Russell should have come in earlier and much more often after the first two that were reversed.

It seemed both QBs were having a problem with the balls being slick as well. It was hard to watch especially after not putting not one on the ground in that slop against Miami.

jjpro11
12-03-2007, 09:07 AM
he wore them in the miami game too.. so i dont really know what the problem was.

HometownGal
12-03-2007, 09:30 AM
One more thing for Parker, when you are in/on a dog pile and you are nowhere near the first down or the endzone, don't stretch the ball out trying to gain extra feet. If you are near the endzone, I can understand that with trying to get the ball across the plane.

Couldn't agree more.

I also have noticed the stutter-stepping instead of just hitting the line. Kind of reminds me of Franco in his last couple of years here. This could have something to do with the inconsistent play of the OL this season and Davis not leading with force the way Kreider did. When Danny was in front of Willie, the holes were there the majority of the time and he could just gallop through them without having to stop and see what is there. Just a thought.

Providence Steel
12-03-2007, 10:15 AM
As the BIGGEST critic of Willie Parker I'd have to say that he had a HORRIBLE game last night BUT, he has done well to hold onto the ball since early in the season. I'd like to think that this is a GOOD thing to happen a week before the Patriots game and this might make him a little more conscious of ball control going into next week.

That being said, Willie looks like he has lost a step this season. Last year he was making a lot of big plays and I dont see that so much this year.

GBMelBlount
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
That being said, Willie looks like he has lost a step this season. Last year he was making a lot of big plays and I dont see that so much this year.

Did he bulk up this year at all?

Counselor
12-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Did he bulk up this year at all?

yes he did. First, Willie is having a 1000+ yard season, he's not far of pace last year, and besides last night, he's been holding onto the ball better than ever.

That said, he does look like he's not getting the breakaways he's had in years past. I think that can maybe be attributed to bulking up----but I think you have to give equal blame to the O-line run blocking and the recent sloppy fields he's been playing on. Parker is a "long strider" and he has to shorten up his step on a sloppy field--in changing his run style you're going to hurt his big play potential. The last four home games have been played at least partially in the rain.

Point is---it's not just one thing.

klick81
12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
His performance last night reminded me of last year's turnover nightmare. I hope he doesn't decide to go on a similar streak.

Rhee Rhee
12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
idk if u remember but Jerome worse those things all the time. never made him fumble... so i think it's just willie.. i mean the first one is forgiveable.. second is irritating and the third and fourth is just all his fault

therocksteeler
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=DACEB;332626]Bettis wore those same elbow protectors and never had a problem so I'm not sure what the problem was last night. The Bengals definetely go after the ball with FWP without a doubt and you can expect the Pats to do the same.

Remember the Indy game when Bettis went in with two yard to the goal, fumble? At any rate, I feel "slap drills" will do Willie good this week. Line up guys on each side and have Willie run through the middle. Each guy thrying his best to grab at the ball. I will say this...each time Bettis scored he ripped his brace off and flexed. That arm and leg strength did help at that time. Looking foward to next week!

Go Steelers!
:tt02::tt02:

tony hipchest
12-03-2007, 07:21 PM
i cant believe were discussing willies wet rubbers and it has nothing to do with clinton or lewenski. and i cant bedlieve so much has been made out of "sleevegate".

when you work in a kitchen (or any other surface that may be slick) they want you to wear rubber soled shoes and often have rubber mats so you dont slip. wet rubber on rubber isnt very slick. infact its kinda tacky.

im not sure what those sleves are made for (i always thought it was a fitness and circulation thing) but i think they are designed with holding a wet football in mind.

i love madden broadcasting all games. hes insightful and funny but you have to filter half the shit he says. i like him doing all games but steelers games because he poisons so many viewers minds by some of his lame gibberish.

"well al, that black rubber in the rain sure looks slick... gar gar gar"

um, tires are made of rubber and look slick in the rain but you dont go sliding off the road.

lets just see the sleeves for what they are and not let madden (of all people) convince us a steeler player made the stupidest mistake of all time by wearing them.

therocksteeler
12-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Good Point!

:iagree:

GBMelBlount
12-03-2007, 07:31 PM
i cant believe were discussing willies wet rubbers and it has nothing to do with clinton or lewenski. and i cant bedlieve so much has been made out of "sleevegate".

when you work in a kitchen (or any other surface that may be slick) they want you to wear rubber soled shoes and often have rubber mats so you dont slip. wet rubber on rubber isnt very slick. infact its kinda tacky.

im not sure what those sleves are made for (i always thought it was a fitness and circulation thing) but i think they are designed with holding a wet football in mind.

i love madden broadcasting all games. hes insightful and funny but you have to filter half the shit he says. i like him doing all games but steelers games because he poisons so many viewers minds by some of his lame gibberish.

"well al, that black rubber in the rain sure looks slick... gar gar gar"

um, tires are made of rubber and look slick in the rain but you dont go sliding off the road.

lets just see the sleeves for what they are and not let madden (of all people) convince us a steeler player made the stupidest mistake of all time by wearing them.

Yep, I was right. Wiilie has gained weight. Just looking your avatar it is obvious FWP has developed a "tire" around his waist. And how can you expect the guy to hold onto the ball with a tire like that (Even if it is rubber!) Beyond that, good point TH.

tony hipchest
12-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Yep, I was right. Wiilie has gained weight. Just looking your avatar it is obvious FWP has developed a "tire" around his waist. And how can you expect the guy to hold onto the ball with a tire like that (Even if it is rubber!)lol :dang: i stepped right into that one.

seriously though- when youre driving around a curve in the rain, your car is designed to stick. but if youve ever driven around a curve, in the rain, where gravel has washed onto the road, you slide. traction is broken.

their was sand on the ball. we all saw the groundskeepers dumping this cat litter on the field. (the same can be seen with nascar using speedy dry and cars sliding when they get into it).

we all saw the balls sailing out of the qb's hands last night. anyone think they would hold onto a sandy ball gatting hit as hard as willie gets hit and as many times?

not to make excuses. willie didnt. him and tomlin both said he has got to hold onto the ball better. the sleeves are a lame excuse and not the problem.

playing pro football on a beach is. (anyone remember robert edwards?)

so yeah, fire willie, tomlin, arinas, and make dookie the starter in the mud. his ex girlfriends say he is a "mudder" and a "bruiser".

:chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-05-2007, 11:16 AM
just to expand on my points, it seems tomlin doesnt even know what the sleeves are for, and that the "commentators" [madden] need to just shut up.

Did the rubber sleeves get slick and cause Willie Parker to fumble?

I’ve heard that theory, but commentators need something to talk about throughout the course of the football game. The reality is that with that being excuse making, we aren’t going to make them. We have to hold on to the ball. Willie has to hold on to the ball. Ball security is a big part of our program, in terms of how we try to win football games, with time of possession being one of them. You jeopardize those things; time of possession and field position when you don’t hold on to the football, even if you do have a great defense, one that is capable of getting you out of tough spots. That standard is not going to change. You have to hold on to the football.

Would you discourage him from wearing those?

No. Willie (Parker) is a professional and I trust that he will do what is required for him to be successful. I will ask him to hold on to the football in the future.

Why does he wear those?

You would have to ask him. Those guys have a variety of supplemental equipment they use. Sometimes they feel like they need it. Sometimes it’s a fashion statement. I was the same way when I was a young guy trying to play football.

the moral of the story is to take anything madden has to say, worth a grain of salt (or sand). this is the same guy who convinced about a billion people that seattle was robbed by the officials in the superbowl. this is the same guy, who if he called monday nights patriots/ravens game, would praise the officials, and blow brady for the courage he displayed while getting 3 do-overs on a final drive 4th down attempt.

SteelerFanInCA
12-05-2007, 11:56 AM
The whole rubber sleves things is overrated. I think it was WP just trying to make an extra play. Also the wet\slippery climate didn't help either.

Everytime madden opens his mouth crap comes out. :dang:

ChronoCross
12-05-2007, 12:16 PM
I for one agree with the rest to ditch the rubber arm bans. Far as one saying willie has lost a step, na he has not. Its called a inept O Line who has not been opening up holes. Willie is running behind possible the worst O Line we have had in 10 years. I do not care who you are, your not going to gain yards if the holes are not open.

Infamix
12-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't expect much from FWP this weekend, hopefully he does well though. He just came off a game with so many fumbles, so he's going to run like a ballcarrier instead of a runningback.

TackleMeBen
12-05-2007, 12:26 PM
just as long as he holds on to the ball .. he can run like the wind.

tony hipchest
12-06-2007, 06:05 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_541357.html

• Steelers running back Willie Parker has motivation beyond attempting to put a dent in New England's 12-0 record. Parker fumbled twice in Sunday night's win over Cincinnati.

"It's bigger for me because I have to redeem myself," Parker said. "It's not too much about them being undefeated and being perfect so far."

As for the synthetic sleeves Parker wore, he maintained Wednesday they were not a factor in his fumbling.
"It's nothing about that," Parker said. "I wear those things all the time. Y'all ain't never recognized me wearing them. I wear them all the time, especially when it rains and the conditions aren't real good. They got grip, and when it gets wet it grips up a little more. It's nothing to do with the fumbling."

Parker, though, said he wouldn't wear the sleeves against New England.

i love seeing where willies motivation lies. its all about redemption and him getting better regardless of who hes playing.

i wonder if losing the sleeves was a personal decision or a "business" decision.

Atlanta Dan
12-06-2007, 06:11 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_541357.html

i love seeing where willies motivation lies. its all about redemption and him getting better regardless of who hes playing.

i wonder if losing the sleeves was a personal decision or a "business" decision.

You mean you don't think he dumped the sleeves because a young fan asked him to?:sofunny:

He said he will cast them aside no matter what the weather this Sunday in Foxborough, Mass. He said a boy asked him for his autograph Tuesday and then suggested he not "wear those things on your arm" anymore.

"I gave him my word I'm not going to wear them," Parker said. "That's the only reason I'm not going to wear them."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07340/839592-66.stm

SteelersJW
12-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I agree. It's time to pitch those things.