PDA

View Full Version : HINES sealed his HOF ballot!

nicesteel4life
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
First off CONGRATS Hines! :tt02: MOST TD RECEPTIONS IN STEELER HISTORY!You now have shown many doubters that you're far from declining. I for one would have to say Hines is the glue that holds us together. Nobody else would take the shots and blocks he does as a reciever. He will now be a lock for the HOF(I think he was already, but nothing wrong with a little extra gravy). He is our modern legend and with what he does for the community makes him even a greater asset to the Pittsburgh Family!

Atlanta Dan
12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Comparing the number of TD catches this decade with TD catches in the 70s and 80is is entirely different.

In addition, IMO Swann & Stallworth got in as part of a team that won 4 SBs and not for their stats.

Hines will be a hard sell for the HOF.

ShutDown24
12-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Comparing the number of TD catches this decade with TD catches in the 70s and 80is is entirely different.

In addition, IMO Swann & Stallworth got in as part of a team that won 4 SBs and not for their stats.

Hines will be a hard sell for the HOF.

You really think so? Some of the voters came out with some piece last year on most likley players to be voted into HOF activley playing and Hines was in the top 15 or 20 I think...

Atlanta Dan
12-03-2007, 11:18 AM
You really think so? Some of the voters came out with some piece last year on most likley players to be voted into HOF activley playing and Hines was in the top 15 or 20 I think...

Art Monk was a possession receiver on 3 Redskins SB teams that focused on a power running game on offense and is still waiting to get in. Hines has a similar role with the Steelers and may face similar problems.

Hines has had a long and productive career but I recall has only made second team All Pro once (2003). With the stats receivers work up these days I think it will be hard to sell Hines based on catches + blocking skills - not minimizing how important Hines has been to the Steelers, just saying it is not a Hall Of The Very Good.

revefsreleets
12-03-2007, 11:45 AM
I disagree. Hell, even Madden, that lifelong hater of all things Steeler, said Hines deserves to get in because he is such a complete football player.

He's put up solid numbers over the years for a team that will always be known as "run first", and he's still got a little gas in the tank. I try to be a little non-homer when it comes to the HOF (unpopularly saying I don't think Kevin Greene should get in for being too one-dimensional), but I definitely see both Bettis and Ward being the 2 stone cold HOF locks from the '05 championship team.

slippy
12-03-2007, 11:51 AM
a second super bowl MVP would put hines over the hump! that's what i want.

ShutDown24
12-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Art Monk was a possession receiver on 3 Redskins SB teams that focused on a power running game on offense and is still waiting to get in. Hines has a similar role with the Steelers and may face similar problems.

Hines has had a long and productive career but I recall has only made second team All Pro once (2003). With the stats receivers work up these days I think it will be hard to sell Hines based on catches + blocking skills - not minimizing how important Hines has been to the Steelers, just saying it is not a Hall Of The Very Good.

I understand what you are saying but Monk was a peculiar case. I think Hines will get in with pretty uncontestable fashion when all is said and done.

Atlanta Dan
12-03-2007, 12:43 PM
I disagree. Hell, even Madden, that lifelong hater of all things Steeler, said Hines deserves to get in because he is such a complete football player.

He's put up solid numbers over the years for a team that will always be known as "run first", and he's still got a little gas in the tank. I try to be a little non-homer when it comes to the HOF (unpopularly saying I don't think Kevin Greene should get in for being too one-dimensional), but I definitely see both Bettis and Ward being the 2 stone cold HOF locks from the '05 championship team.

I believe Bettis is top 5-7 in yardage for a career. - that is a selling point Hines does not have.

Another example of a Hines type receiver who was a rock for a SB and perennial playoff team was Drew Pearson for the Cowboys, who made All Pro three times, was named to the HOF 70s All Decade team http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_1970s_All-Decade_Team (Swann made it/Stallworth did not)but is still waiting to get into the HOF.

The question is how many WRs from a particular decade make the HOF - Hines will have tough competition to fill those slots.

I am not denigrating Hines, just noting that passing Stallworth, who put up numbers in a less pass happy era and still waited 15 yers to be admitted, is no assurance of anything.

fansince'76
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I am not denigrating Hines, just noting that passing Stallworth, who put up numbers in a less pass happy era and still waited 15 yers to be admitted, is no assurance of anything.

I agree with this wholeheartedly - Stallworth also had 4 SB rings to Hines' 1, as well (and is the main reason he got inducted after a 15-year wait). Hines is going to be going up against the likes of Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, T.O. (even though I can't stand him, he's still a great WR), and to a lesser extent, Randy Moss (his petulance in Oakland is going to cost him as well). Hines simply doesn't have the numbers for me to believe he is going to be a first ballot, or even a second ballot HoFer.

alittlejazzbird
12-03-2007, 01:25 PM
I agree with this wholeheartedly - Stallworth also had 4 SB rings to Hines' 1, as well (and is the main reason he got inducted after a 15-year wait). Hines is going to be going up against the likes of Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, T.O. (even though I can't stand him, he's still a great WR), and to a lesser extent, Randy Moss (his petulance in Oakland is going to cost him as well). Hines simply doesn't have the numbers for me to believe he is going to be a first ballot, or even a second ballot HoFer.

It's the problem Stallworth faced - the Steelers are just not thought of as a passing team, and the QB and receivers are never going to have gaudy numbers. As I've posted before, I believe that's why Bradshaw is never mentioned as one of the all-time greats, despite four Super Bowl wins and two SB MVPs. People have to be reminded about Bradshaw whenever the discussion comes up, because everyone automatically thinks Marino, Montana, and Elway first.

Hines has some time left to increase his stats (and hopefully win another ring or two!). In my mind, he will be a deserving HOF member by the time he retires, whenever that may be. He's been my favorite Steeler since the first time he played, but personal bias aside, I believe he will at the very least merit serious consideration down the road.

fansince'76
12-03-2007, 01:31 PM
It's the problem Stallworth faced - the Steelers are just not thought of as a passing team, and the QB and receivers are never going to have gaudy numbers.

Absolutely, 'Jazz - it's not an indictment of Hines or his talent, but being on a run-first team, and as a result, not having gaudy receiving numbers is going to hurt him when he becomes eligible for the HoF. It hurt Swann and Stallworth and is the main reason they both had to wait so long to get in. It isn't fair (Art Monk being the perfect example), but it is what it is. What is going to hurt him even more is the fact that Rice is now retired and has greatly pushed the envelope of expectations of the kind of numbers a HoF WR should have.

OneForTheToe
12-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Bettis will get in but not right away - look at poor "Dirt Dawson" still sitting out in the wilderness. Bettis will be helped eventually by having a career after football that can keep him visible for at least a few years. Hines needs to take a page from Jerome's book and get a job with a network after he retires. Oh, and Art Monk deserves to be in the Hall. In fact, he certainly should have been there before Micheal Irvin.

19ward86
12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
im still in high school and i love to try to do the things that hines does well. something we have in common is that we are both 1 of the best blockers on th team, and i tried going up the middle a lot this year and taking the shots while still trying to make the catch and making the catch wasnt bad until our Division 1 recruit knocked me out a few times since he is a safety.

alittlejazzbird
12-03-2007, 02:16 PM
im still in high school and i love to try to do the things that hines does well. something we have in common is that we are both 1 of the best blockers on th team, and i tried going up the middle a lot this year and taking the shots while still trying to make the catch and making the catch wasnt bad until our Division 1 recruit knocked me out a few times since he is a safety.

You'll do well to study everything that Hines does, including how he handles himself in public and the mentor role he plays to the younger receivers. He's a class act through and through, and lots of young players could learn from his example. Plus it doesn't hurt to smile at the defender each time they hit you - Hines says they HATE that!!

Rhee Rhee
12-03-2007, 03:37 PM
idk atlantadan... to me he's in... just by looking at the fact he leads two other HOF recievers in basically every meaningful recieving category punches his way into canton

jjpro11
12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
his blocking should give him an edge over WRs with similar stats. he might just be the best blocking wide receiver ever. what other receiver has gotten as much notoriety as hines has for his blocking ability? especially in today's age where WRs have become such pre-madonnas. but another solid super bowl performance or possible super bowl MVP will get him in definitely.

SalukiSteelers
12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Huge Hines fan, but he's not an NFL HoF-er unless he's an integral part of a couple more SB-winning teams. He just doesn't have the numbers at a numbers-driven position.

Blocking is great and he's recognized as the best at his position in that area, but really, when you've got guys such as T.O. and Randy who are putting up more than 100 career touchdowns, there's no way voters 15 years from now will look at Hines' numbers and think to themselves, "Man, this guy is a for-sure Hall of Famer."

For Hines to get in, aside from more rings, it's going to take a Quixotic effort from a local sportswriter similar to the legwork Bernie Miklasz put in to get former St. Louis Cardinals DB Roger Werhli enshrined.

Without Miklasz' constant bleating, Werhli would still be a local hero, not an NFL legend with a bust in Canton that probably doesn't look a damn thing like him.

And about those busts: Who does the NFL get to do those things? The blind chick from Lionel Richie's "Hello" video? I thought Sonny Liston or Mack from Night Court got inducted when I saw Michael Irvin's this season.

revefsreleets
12-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Jerome Bettis will be a first ballot HOFer. He may even be a unanimous first ballot. He was the best and most consistent big man to ever play the position. He may have listed as 245 or whatever, but he was at least 260, maybe 280. Guys that big just aren't durable enough to play RB. He's top 5 all-time rushing leader, which almost makes him a shoe-in on it's own, but his size makes him a "position buster".