PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to give Willie a break...

Edman
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes, his several fumbles were a problem last night. But up until this point, he's kept the fumbling in check. If it continues next week, then there is a cause for concern.

He's also been getting a lot of flack for his lack of rushing yards. That's understandable. But I believe it's a sign that our Offense is changing. Remember that play when Willie set up at WR? That's where I think we should design our playcalling. Around Willies biggest threat: His speed.

Lack of Najeh really hurt last night.

The_WARDen
12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Willie is either a fool or stupid, take your pick. Reaching for an extra yard after you've already fumbled THREE times is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while...well, at least since Joe Gibbs called back-to-back timeouts.

:dang:

steelermuzik
12-03-2007, 01:19 PM
I also think Willie's not been used to his best ability this year. I have to say I was very excited to see they actually threw a screen pass to him last night! Too bad it was only one! :dang: Maybe they forgot Willie's not a bruiser and should use him that way (on screens) more often! Here's to hoping he can hold onto the ball next week :thumbsup:

ShutDown24
12-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Madden made a great point. Pulling uop statistics no, there isn't a fumbling problem for WIllie - He is average with fumbles. Madden also made a good point about the rubber sleeves. If you have ever felt those things when they are wet its like trying to hold onto water itself... Anyone who wants to complain about Willie fubling should also consider the fact that all year Arians has been calling a run, run pass offense making the first two downs easy to key on the ball knowing that it is slippery and almost 90% of the time going to be a run.

alittlejazzbird
12-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Willie adamantly refused to make any excuses for his fumbling, but I think the combo of that wet, sandy ball (Ben mentioned the sand, but I didn't see him having any trouble holding on to the ball), and those silly rubber sleeve things (which even I could see were waterlogged and slick) that Tomlin should have personally ripped from Willie's arms, added up to fumble-itis.

And it had better stop this week, especially if the weather is bad and the field is lousy; the Patriots will pounce on every mistake and turn it into points.

19ward86
12-03-2007, 02:01 PM
he has gotten better at carrying the ball this year and i wish he could start breaking some big runs but our line is struggling this year and at least he is doing better than rudi johnson.

Rhee Rhee
12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
we need to get the running game going... whether it's willie parker or not there is no way this -2 yards here and positive 2 yards there will help against the pats... i honestly don't see a bright ending in this season until willie gets going again.... ben can carry us only so far..

Steelman16
12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Prov musta been hanging with Willie last week.... :wink02:

I agree though, Willie's time to step up has come. Hines and Ben have done more than their share, and the O-Line is improving a bit, now its time for FWP to up his game several notches.

fansince'76
12-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah, being the second-leading rusher in the league and 1st in carries simply isn't enough. Granted, the fumbleitis last night was a problem, but he has been sure-handed all season otherwise. It's time for the OL to start making some holes, which they haven't done all season.

SteelerFanInCA
12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm sure WP will bounce back just fine. He's having a great year so far.

eafratitpm3
12-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Maybe Willie needs to give Tiki Barber a call, he had a huge fumbling problem but fixed it.

Atlanta Dan
12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Willie needs those big hands and long fingers of Carson Palmer that another poster observed were getting Madden so turned on

SteelersJW
12-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Mabye Willie wouldn't be coughing up the ball so much if we had some better blocking. Sure Willie's the 2nd leading rusher in the NFL right now, but he also has the most attempts of any running back. With no holes being opened up by our offensive lineman, Willie's gotta try to create something, and it's leading to fumbles. I know Dan Kreider is out for the season and our only other fullback is Carey Davis (who isn't nearly as good of a run blocker as Kreider), but we need to utilize the fullback more. We can't pack the line full of tight ends and expect to run the ball the way we are capable of running it.

Steeldude
12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Madden made a great point. Pulling uop statistics no, there isn't a fumbling problem for WIllie - He is average with fumbles. Madden also made a good point about the rubber sleeves. If you have ever felt those things when they are wet its like trying to hold onto water itself... Anyone who wants to complain about Willie fubling should also consider the fact that all year Arians has been calling a run, run pass offense making the first two downs easy to key on the ball knowing that it is slippery and almost 90% of the time going to be a run.

IMO, parker does have a fumbling problem or should i say a problem holding onto the ball. there are too many close calls. they may not be fumbles because he hits the ground first, but it still is something that needs to be corrected. he is officially marked down as having fumbled only twice last night. once again saved by the ground causing the fumble.

what arians calls on offense has no bearing on whether or not the RB is going to fumble. defenders will always key on the ball. the RB needs to protect it better, slippery or not.

geo123
12-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I hope he bounces back, even w/o the fumbles his last couple of games have been disappointing.

The Duke
12-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Only thing I hope he fixes is his average. 3.8 is just not good, although that might be more because of the o line because most of the times there just aren't any holes to run in.

And give him props, his been taking a lot of hits and is still very healthy behind that bad o line