PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward...Pats time....

WisconsinSteelerMan
12-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey there...

Mods, I looked for another thread on this, but didn't see one in recent history (first page or so) of posts, so feel free to move this where you see fit...

I know that it is just Monday and that we are still reveling in our win from last night, but I have to ask the question...

After the latest string of games, do you all in the collective Steeler-wisdom think that we really have what it takes to beat the Pats?

My thought is that they have already clinched a playoff berth, and it looks as though they will have homefield throughout, so a normal person would say that they will be taking it easy and will not push that hard. But we have all seen the way Bellicheat runs up the score and makes his guys play until the last whistle sounds...they are going to be loaded for bear against the Steelers...

Our defense is awesome, there is now doubt about that, so I think that we can hang there. I worry about getting too spread out because they have SOO many threats that it is tough to cover all of them adequately. I can't wait to see how Defense-Dad schemes for this one.

Offense scares me a bit because they will be planning for the run and for our weak O-line... Can we overcome those hurdles??

I can't wait for this game because I will get to see it this weekend in Cheeseland after the Packer game... Of course I want us to win...that goes without saying... If we do lose, however, I just want it to be competitive and not to look silly doing it.

What do you guys think???

Mike in La Crosse, WI

revefsreleets
12-03-2007, 01:15 PM
My take is this: The Steelers have a bunch of blitzes they haven't used yet. My guess is this is one of the games they were waiting for to use them. I think the defense will be fine.

Offensively, I think about the same. I think Arians has some wrinkles that will be revealed Sunday. I think some of our predicatble play calling is actually a set up for this game. There is no way that the Steelers didn't have this game circled at the beginning of the year. I think we'll see gadget plays, passing out of running formations and the opposite, I think Carey Davis will see some more touches. I honestly think we will see the Steelers run a really dynamic offense. I think they are capable of winning this game, but their CAN NOT BE BREAK DOWNS! Poor execution will kill the Steelers.

Sharkissle29
12-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I honestly dont think our offense is clicking like it should be yet, however, our defense is playing lights out. if we can get pressure on brady and make him make mistakes then i'd say we have a good chance at ending their undefeated season. i guess we'll see how the baltimore D can handle the pats offense.

OneForTheToe
12-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Ok here is my plan: We break into Gillette stadium, rip up the field turf, put down grass and water it all week. I know someone with experience in flooding large areas. He is a shadowy figure named Professor Chaos.

Who's with me?

No????????

How about we start a rumor that Brady is the father of Rosie O’Donnell’s baby -let's see pretty boy concentrate with that on his mind.

Still no, huh

Well, I guess the Steelers could just play their best game of the year so far ... I guess. You know block well, tackle well and such, I guess.

steelermuzik
12-03-2007, 01:26 PM
"I think they are capable of winning this game, but their CAN NOT BE BREAK DOWNS! Poor execution will kill the Steelers."

Not to mention fumbilitis...

But in all sincerity, I believe the Steelers can beat the Patsies. But it will take their best game. If they play anthing less than their best, they don't stand a chance. As long as the offense doesn't shoot themselves in the foot, they can hang. And the defense has proven effective against successful offenses. I hope Silverback has another 3.5 sack game! And I believe Big Ben will have a monster game!

Good luck! Here we go Steelers, Here we go! :tt02:

X-Terminator
12-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Personally, I just want the game to be over, because I'm tired of talking about it. All everyone has talked about since week friggin 3 is "The Pats this, the Pats that."

Let's get it over with, and move on to Jacksonville.

Big D
12-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Personally, I just want the game to be over, because I'm tired of talking about it. All everyone has talked about since week friggin 3 is "The Pats this, the Pats that."

Let's get it over with, and move on to Jacksonville.

i'm with you. i'm sick of the patriots anyways. I'm sick about every single interview the patriots get brought up.

WisconsinSteelerMan
12-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Boy, I sure agree. I am tired as heck of hearing about the Pats... Especially the nob greasing they get on Monday nights. If the Steelers can pull off a W next week, I expect the headlines to be more about the Pats having an off week and losing the game for themselves rather than the Steelers WINNING the game...

It is gonna be fun! I expect to have at least three heart attacks during that game...

Wonder when the hype will start...or maybe it won't! (NOT)

Mike in La Crosse, WI

BlastFurnace
12-03-2007, 02:02 PM
It's pretty much a given that the Patriots will have home field advantage...even if we win this game.

The game I am most intrigued by over the next couple of weeks is the Jacksonville game.

pittsburghp8baller
12-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Ok here is my plan: We break into Gillette stadium, rip up the field turf, put down grass and water it all week. I know someone with experience in flooding large areas. He is a shadowy figure named Professor Chaos.

im wit u lets do that.

Edman
12-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Lose to them now, get them in the playoffs. Reverse 2004.

But in all seriousness, Arians has to open up the offense in this game. Be aggressive. We all seen how effcient Ben was running the quick strike Offense last night. Oh, and surprise, the O-Line played MUCH better. See what happens when you don't go run-run-pass?

SCSTILLER
12-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Oneforthetoe and Baller, let me know where to meet you guys. I will bring the jackhammer and grass seed.

I too am sick and tired of hearing about the Patsies. I have a guy at work who, just started liking the Pats in 2001 (bandwagon), who is annoying as all getup. I am ready to beat him to a bloody pulp with his keyboard. Basically, their fan are annoying, I never met a pats fan until they won a super bowl then all of a sudden they were everywhere.

We can win this game, as long as our oline holds up and we play mistake free football. If we can get pressure on Brady, he will make mistakes. He is not that good of a QB when he doesn't have room to step into his throws. Also, if we get him out of the pocket, he will make some boneheaded plays (see Dolphins/pats underhanded toss to the defense for reference)! And Willie, HOLD ONTO THE BALL!

klick81
12-03-2007, 02:45 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while now. Of course, I'll never hope for a Steelers loss, but it's VERY tough to beat a good team twice in a season. Having said that, I'll take a W over an L any day (duh).

Steel_Bus_24
12-03-2007, 02:45 PM

But in all seriousness, Arians has to open up the offense in this game. Be aggressive. We all seen how effcient Ben was running the quick strike Offense last night. Oh, and surprise, the O-Line played MUCH better. See what happens when you don't go run-run-pass?

We still have to capture the division title first, so until the Browns lose another game, the Steelers need to keep winning.......had we won that Jets game:banging:....I probably wouldn't care too much if we lost to NE.

alittlejazzbird
12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
You think you're sick of hearing about the Patriots now? Just wait. The national media has unanimously declared the Steelers the only remaining team with a legit shot at them. If we lose, there will be no end to the superlatives that will be hurled from all corners of the media universe/blogosphere, because everyone will immediately call for canceling the rest of the season, handing them the Lombardi on the spot, and canonizing them as the Best Team Ever.

Can we beat them? Here are some things to think about:

We were written off by the whole world against Indy (who, if you recall, had gone 13-0 before losing the game after the death of Dungy's son) two years ago, and not only did we beat them, until the last probably 10 minutes, we dominated them. In some ways, we are a better team this season than we were when we played Indy two years ago.

Before you roll your eyes and write off that last comment, consider that our quarterback is playing better than he was then, and he now has the benefit of two more seasons' experience. Ben is not just a very good quarterback who is closing in on elite level, he's a more mature and smarter quarterback who makes better decisions.

I think this year's defense is far better than the Super Bowl defense. This defense could potentially shake out as the second or third best in team history. The Pats are merely average, probably because with their offensive firepower, they haven't had to worry all that much about playing defense.

We're feeling the absence of a grind-it-out back like Bettis, but we're scoring more points and generating more offense, thanks to Ben's improvement and maturity and the excellent receiver play.

All of which add up to yes, we have the talent and ability necessary to beat the Patriots.

A play is a play is a play, and everyone does pretty much the same technical things - what separates the bad teams from the great teams is execution and focus, and the Pats have it in spades. They are utterly driven, unconcerned with anything that isn't total domination of their opponent. The Steelers do not have that level of focus yet, and they most definitely do not execute as well. Maybe they never will have it, maybe they will find it before Sunday afternoon.

In my mind, the keys to beating the Pats are (1) playing absolutely focused and mistake-free; (2) pulling out every stop in the book to disrupt Brady; we all know when he's rattled is when he makes mistakes and throws the ball into the ground; and (3) watch out for those crossing routes over the middle that Moss runs so well; the Pats have been carving up defenses with those pass completions, and we showed ourselves to be susceptible to that exact thing last night against Palmer. A number of his 14 completions last night came over the middle to an uncovered receiver; and (4) give Ben time to throw the ball via good O-line play, something which was much improved last night against the Bengals.

Here's the bottom line, to me: the Steelers have started their last three games flat; in two of those games, they recovered and won. If they do that on Sunday, the Pats will pounce and the score could be 21-0 before we blink, and then our goose is cooked. If this team can find a way to play with energy from the opening kickoff, stay completely focused, and play mistake free on both sides of the ball, they may very well beat the Patriots. Anything less, and forget it. The Patriots are too driven, and they execute too well, to leave their opponent any room for error.

My personal prediction: not a rout, but probably Pats win something like 28-17. And if we beat them, I will gladly be the first one Monday morning to post what an idiot I was for doubting them!!

Steel_Bus_24
12-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Farrior and Foote are going to have to play lights out in their zones over the middle. Welker will be the true threat to our D and Farrior and Foote will have to step it up when we bring the Blitzes and they're back there in zone coverage.

steelpride12
12-03-2007, 03:09 PM
For the Steelers they must play a mistake free game. No turnovers of Brady will make us pay.
On defense we must play smart and zone blitz and have to get in Bradys face or any of his recievers will burn us all game.
They have no real run game its just the pass game that worries everyone.
On offense we must score points. The offense has not been looking up to par yet and must have a near perfect game against the pats.
Im telling you now we can win this game and prove who is the real team here!

GeneralRobinson
12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Ben seemed to operate really effectively in the no-huddle with 3 WRs. I would be interested to see if they open the game in that package.

HometownGal
12-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I believe the Cheatsies are going to give us all they've got and then some, as we are reportedly the only team that can keep them from a perfect regular season. They are an arrogant bunch from Kraft on down to the ball boys and can't handle the mere thought of ANY team stripping them of their "glory".

If the Steelers D pressures Fairy Tom from their opening possession and make him very aware of their presence, I think his psyche will be disrupted and he'll be hurrying his throws, making him more prone to error. With the way the Steelers D handled the Bungles Three Stooges, though none of them can legitimately compare themselves to Moss, I believe they can handle the Pats' tandem of Moss, Stallworth and Welker. I have no doubt that Lebeau is cooking up something special for the Cheatsies. :thumbsup:

On the offensive side of the ball, I truly believe we need Santo back in the lineup against the Pats' D. I don't know how close he is to being able to play, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we see #10 in that lineup come Sunday. Cedric and Nate are decent receivers, but neither possesses the speed or the elusiveness that Santo does. Hines cannot be expected to carry the load again and I think the Pats will be a little smarter than the Bungles and double him up. Heath Miller will be key in this game, I believe. Both the Colts and Eagles exposed the Pats' weakness across the middle and that is where Heath flourishes.

If the Steelers turn the ball over against the Pats as they did in last night's game, they aren't going to be as lucky in keeping them off the board. HOLD ONTO THE BALL GUYS!!!!

I'd like the Steelers to have at least a 10 point lead going into the 2 minute warning in the 4thQ, as A$$ Chin is potent in that two minute drill. I believe we can beat the Cheatsies but it sure isn't going to be easy.

Rhee Rhee
12-03-2007, 03:33 PM
with no running game it's virtually impossible to beat the pats.... unless Ben has a "best player of all time" game and the recievers all have "jerry rice in the superbowl" games

Dynasty
12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
I think you're overstating how hard it will be. The main reason Philly (who is much worse than the Steelers) was able to almost win was because they were one of the only teams who was able to get any pressure on Brady. If we can do that, as well as stopping the WRs, we should be able to win. I'm confident that Ike will be able to stop Randy "I only play when I want" Moss, and I think that we have a good base of corners. Think about the matchups:

Taylor + Moss = Fine. He got shut down by the Iggles
DeShea + Welker = Fine. I think Welker will have a decent game, but Shea can hold his own.
McFadden + Stallworth = Fine. B-Mac is a good CB, and Donte' has done very little this year.

If neccessary, Haggans or Anthony Smith can help double-cover Moss.

If we blitz early and often, we will be able to get Priss Brady off his rhythm and force him into bad passes. If Ike can chisel his hands of stone into something that he can catch with, I have a feeling Brady will be gettin' some INTs this game. He likes to throw terrible passes up for Moss, because he is so tall, but Ike taylor can jump. If we shut moss and Welker down, I dont think Brady will be too successful with Kyle Brady, Donte' Stallworth, and their other TE. I really doubt they will be able to get a whole lot of rushing yards with our D.

On the Steelers' offense side, I think the main thing will be getting Santonio back. If we can keep pressure off of Big Ben, we should be fine. Like someone said earlier, look for Heath Miller to have a big game, which should keep some of the pressure of the WRs. Their linebackers are all old, so even if we get down in the first half, they should be worn out by the second half, which wpuld hopefully allow us to come back. Ben seems to do better against zone defenses, so we want to force the pats to play cover two. If we can chop up the field and minimize mistakes, we can score pretty easily against the pats. They have shown their weaknesses the past few weeks, and I believe the steelers will be able to exploit them.

The_WARDen
12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Until the Steelers can be more effective in running the ball and controlling the clock when they have the lead, I don't feel they can beat the Patriots.

Notice: this is NOT to say that I think the Steelers suck or anything, I just don't think they are on the same level as the Patsies at the moment. Anyway, it'd be more fun to beat them in the AFCC game when they're 17-0.

:tt02:

iloveben7
12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
First I will say that the Steelers can beat the Patriots and will beat the Patriots on Sunday. I can't doubt my Steelers no matter what. And seriously, how many of you thought that we couldn't beat the Colts in 05 in the playoffs? I bet a lot of you and you were sorry you did.

The Eagles almost beat the Patriots and the Steelers are SO much better than them. If Feely didn't throw 2-3 INT's, they would've won.

My points to the game:
-the O-line MUST block
-no INT's from Ben and he can do that and has done that
-defense must pressure Brady and finish their tackles
-special teams-you know what
-no Parker fumbles
-the most important thing-the Steelers can't give up when they are losing; they have to keep fighting and they've proved that this season, especially the Cleveland game

I see a huge game from Ben Roethlisberger, Santonio Holmes and James Harrison

Come on Steelers- shock the world