PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith: Good or Bad

19ward86
12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
do you guys believe that anthony smith is a good thing for the steelers or a bad? when i say this i dont mean by this by if he is good or not but how he plays. personally i love how he plays, he is probably the most assertive player on the roster right now. he gets unessesary(spelling) roughness penalties on him every once in a while and gets in scruffles on special teams plays nearly every time. i think he brings a prescense with him because he hits like a train and is a big threat.

Atlanta Dan
12-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Having Carter and Smith back there is like 2 frat boys who are rowdy enough separately getting completely out of control when they are together. Given Taylor's propensity to yap, Townsend is the only adult supervision back there with Troy and Clark out.

I like the httting, but when Carter + Smith engage in the extracurriculars after the tackle I keep waiting for the flag. That will hurt at some point.

Steeldude
12-03-2007, 05:31 PM
do you guys believe that anthony smith is a good thing for the steelers or a bad? when i say this i dont mean by this by if he is good or not but how he plays. personally i love how he plays, he is probably the most assertive player on the roster right now. he gets unessesary(spelling) roughness penalties on him every once in a while and gets in scruffles on special teams plays nearly every time. i think he brings a prescense with him because he hits like a train and is a big threat.

he needs to learn how to tackle better. he doesn't wrap-up. he is too obsessed with trying to hit the guy as hard as he can. which is fine if you make contact, but he whiffs too much. he has a "me" attitude that needs to be corrected. his coverage skills on long plays isn't too swift either.

but this is basically his rookie year in a way. hopefully he learns the finer points of the game. as of now he thinks hitting and dancing are the only things needed.

he definitely has the hard hitting aspect of the game down.

BlastFurnace
12-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Every time Smith, Carter, or Taylor tackle anyone I am worried about a Taunting flag being thrown.

I like them all, but all it's going to take is some trigger happy ref to throw the flag at a critical time in the game that will cost us big time.

He plays good though. I saw him covering Chad Johnson down the field on long passes and he was right there with him.

Steelman16
12-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Having Carter and Smith back there is like 2 frat boys who are rowdy enough separately getting completely out of control when they are together. Given Taylor's propensity to yap, Townsend is the only adult supervision back there with Troy and Clark out.

I like the httting, but when Carter + Smith engage in the extracurriculars after the tackle I keep waiting for the flag. That will hurt at some point.

I don't think that point can be said better Dan! I too was just simply waiting for the flag to fly when Carter and Smith made a tackle or hit.

Back to the subject of the thread, I think Smith is neither good nor bad for the team just yet. He's still raw and undiciplined, though gifted with hitting abilities. I believe that Tomlin has the knack for coaching secondary players especially, so I think that with a little care, Smith can develop into a maniac saftey that makes smart decisions. (or is that a possible combination?)

But right now, at this point in time given the injuries to Clark and Troy, I don't think he adds much.

BlastFurnace
12-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Townsend is the only adult supervision back there with Troy and Clark out.

That is a very funny way of putting it. I just picture Townsend shaking his head like a disapproving father when some of his boys back there start yapping.

FastWillieParker39
12-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Smith I'm actually fine with. It's Carter who I want off the team. He makes one decent play and acts like he jacked up somebody.

Sharkissle29
12-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Smith I'm actually fine with. It's Carter who I want off the team. He makes one decent play and acts like he jacked up somebody.

i dont mind either one of them at all, they give our defense a badass attitude

eafratitpm3
12-03-2007, 06:45 PM
I like the energy that they (Smith & Carter) bring to the D. I think they are very intense and want to make a statement. Let's hope the next statement is made to the PATS!

ShutDown24
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
When Carter and Smith play safety it honestley makes me wish there was a MS (Middle saftey) in the NFL lol... I love when those two get to play together... And TBH Carter has played better than Troy this year (I hate to say it)

19ward86
12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
When Carter and Smith play safety it honestley makes me wish there was a MS (Middle saftey) in the NFL lol... I love when those two get to play together... And TBH Carter has played better than Troy this year (I hate to say it)

as much as i do also i think that carter is playing better than troy, he is playing safety not tazmanian devil. our pass D in my eyes is playing better than ever, for the most part. just think that palmer was a 67% completion passer this season and he only had about 40% completion during the bungals game.

GBMelBlount
12-03-2007, 07:31 PM
I like the fact that this Smith brings some "Shock & Awe" to our D. A devastating blow can take a receiver (mentally) out of the game.

slippy
12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
i love anthony smith!

to me, there is nothing better than an offence doing everything right and then completing the pass only to have the receiver SEPARATED FROM THE BALL! i love this kid.

yes he is still a bit raw, and we will have to eat a few penalties, but he is darrel dawkins junior.

when healthy, we are deep at safety.

steelpride12
12-03-2007, 10:24 PM
I like the fact the Smith gives us that extra hitting and strength edge on defense, but the penaltys he comments are stupid and cost us big.
Carter has played pretty solid as a back up, but he is so ****y. but its good motivation for him.

WWIIOwheelz
12-03-2007, 10:49 PM
There was a play last night where Houshoebomber was going over the middle and Palmer threw the ball a bit high. He started after the ball but obviously pulled off from trying, and who was on his way to greet him on the path of the ball? Heh... Anthony Smith. He's in TJ's head in a very big way, and for good reason. 2 of the hardest hits I've seen in the past decade from the Steelers were the two on him by Smith.

Preacher
12-04-2007, 01:14 AM
I think Safety is our deepest and most talented position right now. I LOVE what we have there, I LOVE the presence there, and I love the intensity there. I don't mind the yapping.

However, there is a level of emotional immaturity which is hurting us right now. It'll take another year or two for that to work itself out naturally.

But yeah, I have NO problem with him in the backfield.

Edman
12-04-2007, 01:35 AM
I have no problem with Anthony Smith. He just needs to keep his emotions in check sometimes.

jjpro11
12-04-2007, 02:14 AM
they bring some swagger to the defense. we have the #1 ranked pass defense and it hasnt been this good in over a decade. so whatever they are doing is working.

Preacher
12-04-2007, 02:40 AM
they bring some swagger to the defense. we have the #1 ranked pass defense and it hasnt been this good in over a decade. so whatever they are doing is working.

Good point. and he has been on the field for what... almost half of the season so far?

Rhee Rhee
12-04-2007, 03:04 AM
i dont like him back there.... he costs this team a lot.... two weeks in a row unsportsmanlike conduct penaltyies..it can only hurt a team... anyone can dish out a huge hit but how many people can keep their emotions under control?

Preacher
12-04-2007, 03:12 AM
i dont like him back there.... he costs this team a lot.... two weeks in a row unsportsmanlike conduct penaltyies..it can only hurt a team... anyone can dish out a huge hit but how many people can keep their emotions under control?

He has also broken up a NUMBER of BIG passes... gotten into the head of a number of opposing deep threat receivers, etc etc.

If it takes a 15 yard penalty to help get into the guys head... well, so be it.

Do I like the penalties... no. However, even WITH THEM... he tremendously to this team.

Edit: Wow... me know no english!

Lets try that last sentence again.

Do I like the penalties... no. However, even WITH THEM... he tremendously improves this team.

Galax Steeler
12-04-2007, 04:55 AM
I like smith and carter they bring alot of fire to the team on deffense.

JackHammer
12-04-2007, 05:33 AM
I love our attitude in the secondary. As has been stated already, this is the best pass D we've had for a long time and #1 pass D overall. They keep everything in front of them and hit whoever gets the ball. We don't give up the big play, EVER, which means somebody is gonna get HIT. I do agree about the missed tackles with Smith, but I think he'll get better in that regard. We could do without the penalties too, but the overall presence of Anthony Smith is worth the immaturity. He'll overcome that. I love how we make WR's pay for even thinking about catching the ball. If that means a penalty here and there then so be it.

I can't wait to see how our secondary matches up against the Pats passing attack. They're probably gonna pass a lot more than anyone we've played so far, and we're gonna hit them every time. People made so much about how tough Philly's secondary played against the Pats, but the Pats haven't been hit like they're gonna get hit by the Steelers. It'll be interesting to see if we can keep Moss, Welker and Co. in front of us AND make the tackle. If we can do that then there's gonna be some bruised up wide outs in N.E.

Steeldude
12-04-2007, 07:16 AM

smith does the exact samething.

Blitzburgh_Fever
12-04-2007, 07:31 AM
I love our safeties, and the combo we've been using (Polamalu/Smith, that is, no offense to Carter)

It seems to me Troy and Ryan Clark are similar players, in that they're smart, calm, mature players that can wrap up tackles. Troy can hit hard, but he hasn't been consistently playing aggressively this year.

Smith and Carter are similar players as well, both are boisterious, hard hitting, emotionally driven guys that can get out of control. Both hit hard, but Anthony Smith has something to him you don't see often. Someone above said anyone can hit hard, and that's true, but Smith does it with abandon, gets involved in every play, and hits hard EVERY tackle, and receivers are starting to see it, just ask TJ :toofunny:

I really respect Ryan Clark, but I don't think Polamalu/Clark was the right compliment, and I don't think Smith and Carter are either. We seem to do amazing when we have the maturity and intelligence of Polamalu backed by the ferociousness of Smith. Overall our secondary's attitude is great, Polamalu and Townsend bring the clarity and focus of experience and understanding, and Taylor and Smith offer intimidating physicality on every play. Intelligence, focus, intimidation, physicality...adds up to one thing: Steelers football! :tt02:

Oh, and Smith WAS playing bad coverage, but he's getting better fast. As Preacher said, he's only got about eight games of starting experience. I was impressed by his ability to identify when he needs to stay deep and to recognize plays, particularly when he stuck with Chad Johnson all the way, lotta safeties can't get the coverage and speed of one-on-one without drawing a penalty. Looks like Troy or someone is whispering in his ear :smile:

jjpro11
12-04-2007, 11:13 AM
I love our safeties, and the combo we've been using (Polamalu/Smith, that is, no offense to Carter)

It seems to me Troy and Ryan Clark are similar players, in that they're smart, calm, mature players that can wrap up tackles. Troy can hit hard, but he hasn't been consistently playing aggressively this year.

Smith and Carter are similar players as well, both are boisterious, hard hitting, emotionally driven guys that can get out of control. Both hit hard, but Anthony Smith has something to him you don't see often. Someone above said anyone can hit hard, and that's true, but Smith does it with abandon, gets involved in every play, and hits hard EVERY tackle, and receivers are starting to see it, just ask TJ :toofunny:

I really respect Ryan Clark, but I don't think Polamalu/Clark was the right compliment, and I don't think Smith and Carter are either. We seem to do amazing when we have the maturity and intelligence of Polamalu backed by the ferociousness of Smith. Overall our secondary's attitude is great, Polamalu and Townsend bring the clarity and focus of experience and understanding, and Taylor and Smith offer intimidating physicality on every play. Intelligence, focus, intimidation, physicality...adds up to one thing: Steelers football! :tt02:

Oh, and Smith WAS playing bad coverage, but he's getting better fast. As Preacher said, he's only got about eight games of starting experience. I was impressed by his ability to identify when he needs to stay deep and to recognize plays, particularly when he stuck with Chad Johnson all the way, lotta safeties can't get the coverage and speed of one-on-one without drawing a penalty. Looks like Troy or someone is whispering in his ear :smile:

clark was having a helluva year before he got hurt. im really not so sure smith would even be starting if clark had never gotten hurt. thats not a knock on smith, its just that clark was earning his starting position in every game he played in.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Smith & Carter are the perfect combination for teams like the Bengals....who have self-congratulating blowhards who dont like contact. TJ, Chad, and Henry didnt want ANYTHING to do with going across the middle. They were getting LIT UP when they didnt even catch the ball...and all of them got a really bad case of alligator arms...real quick.
I personally like Smith...as he matures he could be that safety that makes every reciever think twice about catching the ball in his area. We all talk about how defensive linemen suddenly shied away from contact with Bettis by the end of the game...well, the same holds true for WR's when they have been blasted all game by safeties.
Granted, some recievers dont care about contact and take it as a challenge, with our own Hines Ward falling into that category. But WR's like Ocho Stinko are much more concerned with gaining a reputation with antics, rather than with guts...and Smith will make them second guess reaching up for a elevated pass and exposing their body to a clear shot from a black and gold guided missile.

X-Terminator
12-04-2007, 11:51 AM
If Smith keeps his emotions in check and becomes more technically sound in pass coverage and tackling, he will be a great safety.

As for Carter, I don't understand why so many people dislike trash talking on the field. As long as it doesn't cost us a penalty and it stays on the field, what the heck is the big deal? Many of you have complained about a perceived lack of emotion on defense, but here we have a guy who brings it every week, and some of you still complain. Which is it?

FourThreeMafia
12-04-2007, 12:12 PM
I havent read this entire thread, so I dont know if anyone mentioned it, but has anyone else noticed that the passing defense has been better with Troy out? Troy is a liability in coverage and at times a poor tackler, and a much better athlete than a football player. Carter is a system player and fits the scheme better. People dont want to hear that, but its the truth.

Anthony SMith is the future FS. He plays great and hits hard, and most importantly, he fits the scheme. He has to mature a bit, but he is playing MUCH better than Polamalu and a big reason the defense has been so good.

rbryan
12-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Troy has played solid but not to the level we've grown accustomed to. He's been hurt so thats part of it. I think he will come up big during the stretch run.

Anthony Smith is a monster, he will learn to avoid the stupid penalty. Theres no substitute for a safety that puts fear into the opposing receivers.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
If Smith keeps his emotions in check and becomes more technically sound in pass coverage and tackling, he will be a great safety.

As for Carter, I don't understand why so many people dislike trash talking on the field. As long as it doesn't cost us a penalty and it stays on the field, what the heck is the big deal? Many of you have complained about a perceived lack of emotion on defense, but here we have a guy who brings it every week, and some of you still complain. Which is it?

I LOVE Carter...he is a MORE than adequate backup!!!
...and those that know me ...know that this is hard to say...Deshea had a good game also.

DACEB
12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I think Smith is showing more control. In the game against the Bengals he smashed T.J.H. on a deep pass, and T.J. got up and cried to the ref, I believe, that he was defenseless on the hit. Later in the game on a similar pass that sailed high over T.J.s head Smith did not crush him, probably because we were ahead and avoiding the penalty for hitting a defenseless WR.

As far as Troy goes I would like to see him in the box, with Smith and Carter playing back, when the Pats spread the field. Let Troy use his incredible athletisism, at and around the line of scrimmage, for blitzing and covering underneath.

BTW, not just anyone can hit like Smith!!

moedap
12-04-2007, 01:35 PM

My gosh! The very same thing alot of you guys were lauding Joey Porter for your bashing Anthony Smith about. He brings that rah-rah to the defense. The only reason his trashtalking and/or taunting is an issue is because of the new rules instituted by the NFL to try and take out the selfish "its about me" attitude that contributed to the decline of the NBA ratings. Its been a part of football for a long time. I know the penalties hurt sometimes but the attitude is infectious and in my opinion far more beneficial to the D.

RunWillieRun
12-04-2007, 01:36 PM
I havent read this entire thread, so I dont know if anyone mentioned it, but has anyone else noticed that the passing defense has been better with Troy out? Troy is a liability in coverage and at times a poor tackler, and a much better athlete than a football player. Carter is a system player and fits the scheme better. People dont want to hear that, but its the truth.

Anthony SMith is the future FS. He plays great and hits hard, and most importantly, he fits the scheme. He has to mature a bit, but he is playing MUCH better than Polamalu and a big reason the defense has been so good.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Troy hasn't been himself all season. I think he's had a lot of recuring injuries (some we probably don't know about) that have hindered him. He's been missing tackles and has been ineffective on the blitz.

That being said, I think our pass coverage is better without Troy simply because Lebeau doesn't use the other safeties on the blitz like he uses Troy. I have certianly noticed we are getting decreased pressure on the QB with the blitz packages, but our pass coverage has been AMAZING. I am happy with the tradeoff as it has work so far.

The big challenge will be Sunday vs. the Pats when we'll need to pressure pretty-boy ass-chin brady without sacrificing coverage on moss, welker, stallworth, etc.

SteelCity65
12-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Id like to go out and compare Anthony smith to Sean taylor one of the best safeties in the nfl until the tragedy. R.I.P. I just wanna say Smith hits like taylor with reckless abandon. He is built like him and just stuffs people. He is a ballhawk. Yes i know Smith is still raw but within a couple years and some grooming Smith could be the type of safety taylor was. A 6'1 hard hittin ball hawkin beast of a safety. Another thing that reminds of taylor from smith is that he is soft spoken off the field (up until everything he said about the pats receivers) and a talker on the field just like him. Thats why i love smith guys, im also a hurricane fan and a big taylor fan and i see some taylor in smith. Just some food for thought, think about it.

GO STEELERS!!

Preacher
12-05-2007, 02:22 AM
My gosh! The very same thing alot of you guys were lauding Joey Porter for your bashing Anthony Smith about. He brings that rah-rah to the defense. The only reason his trashtalking and/or taunting is an issue is because of the new rules instituted by the NFL to try and take out the selfish "its about me" attitude that contributed to the decline of the NBA ratings. Its been a part of football for a long time. I know the penalties hurt sometimes but the attitude is infectious and in my opinion far more beneficial to the D.

I have to agree with that one!!

Haiku_Dirtt
12-05-2007, 04:28 AM
Well I guess I've submitted redundant posts because I didn't realize that the A.Smith post overlapped the Carter post. Oh well.

Anthony Smith is not good. He is awesome. Love his gig and I hope it evolves into something great.

The fundamental difference between Smith and Carter in this discussion is that Anthony Smith's "discretions come before they blow the whistle. Alot of Carter's antics come after the whistle.

Not only is maturity an issue but cognizance of what is at stake each and every play is the issue also.