PDA

View Full Version : New England Strategy Poll

billydunn712
12-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Need everyones' help! We are debating here today about our strategy for next week. Please do not reply with your strategy cause this will just make a bigger argument. Please pick one of these strategies:

#1- Every drive we have a standard offense of run on 1st and 2nd down and pass only when necessary....

#2- Still run 75% of the game, but mix it up with the few passes...i.e.... pass on 1st down here and there with play action and screens. then run

Thanks for your help!

SteelDogFan
12-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Please add a third option.

#3 Pass 60 % of the time run 40% of the time.

Reason: More Passing do to the fact that Bill B. always takes away what you do best. His defensive scheme will be to take away Willie P. first. The Steelers may end up passing over 35 times.

billydunn712
12-04-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't know if I want to pass that much. I was just arguing that a uniformed run every 1st and 2nd down will not beat the Pats this year.

HometownGal
12-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd have to say MIX IT UP! Balance is the key to any offensive success.

Rotorhead
12-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Well fortunately we have the ability to do both run and pass, but since our running game has been suspect lately, I am thinking they will spy Ben (like everyone lately) and we will be able to run more often . . . not necessarily on 1-2 downs though. So my pick is kind of #2

ChronoCross
12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Always mix it up. But run up the gut, pass over the middle. Pats defense is weakest against the run up the gut, and also weakest against the pass over the middle. Eagles tore up the middle of the Pats pass defense but screwed up passing to the outside with that weak arm feely. Ravens gut running up the middle of that defense was right on the mark. Colts also ran up the gut perfectly on the pats and passed over the middle. Hit there weak spots and we will be just fine. I have faith in are defense. Two good defenses have played the pats back to back weeks and have put the hammer on the pats. It is also a short week and the pats have been taking a beating over the last two weeks even tho they have won.

The main thing is if were doing good we have to stay with the game plan. Eagles got away from passing over the middle and there game plan. Ravens went away from the run and threw a stupid pass for a INT when they should of ran it up the gut and kicked a field goal. They also lost the game from calling that stupid timeout.

Dino 6 Rings
12-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Evaluate the defensive formation and call the play that will work against it.

#1LambertFan
12-04-2007, 01:25 PM

In most cases but this isn't most cases. We need to run it up the gut and throw in a few suprise passes. Get Holmes deep and he can take on a sinle defender any day.

#1LambertFan
12-04-2007, 01:27 PM
So i say run 75% of the time and pass the other 25%.

billydunn712
12-04-2007, 01:28 PM
In most cases but this isn't most cases. We need to run it up the gut and throw in a few suprise passes. Get Holmes deep and he can take on a sinle defender any day.

I agree man, I'm just saying the few times we pass can't be 3rd and long every time. Running for 1 yard or a loss every 1st and 2nd down is the reason Ben has been getting into troulbe this year. The D knows it's coming.

caligirlsteelerfan86
12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Shock them early with a deep touchdown pass or a kick off return and then knock the wind out of Brady.

Rhee Rhee
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
we should run the ball 75% of the game but there is no way we're gonna be able to if we can't run on the bengals, broncos and cards... but our passing game will flourish if we pass over the middle to hines

fdp
12-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Bill B. always takes away what you do best. His defensive scheme will be to take away Willie P. first.

I agree, they will probably focus on taking our running game away, that's why I say start with a deep ball to Santonio, show them that we can pass deep, hopefully that will force them not to focus on run defense only, then Willie could have some big plays. Kind of what the Jets did to us with the early flea flicker, showed us that Clemens can throw deep and that got our focus off stopping their running game and we all know what happened.

Rotorhead
12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
We should pass over the middle to open up the lanes, if they are putting 8 in the box use Heath and Ward behind the LB's, they will back up and we will have lanes to run. I hope we sign Verron for a fullback (or just use one of our many TE's), just one more person to break Parker into the second ranks is all we need for us to get our running game back on track. Although, I think we will be fine running off tackle, their linebackers are not really that fast. I am getting excited for this weekend, and nervous!

stlrtruck
12-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Why not go into patria-cheats village with Steelers Nation and then do as we did in the 2005 playoffs - pass the heck out of the ball and just as they set up to stop it, let FWP run a few big ones off!!

Use the center screen more, especially with Davis.

If anyone has noticed the last two games, the patria-cheats, as is over the last few years, give up a lot of dink and dunk yardage - so we should take what they give us.

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Do what ever is necessary to maintain long sustained drives to keep Brady off the field, and knock him on his ass when he is on the field!

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2007, 07:50 PM

I'll take that plan. :thumbsup:

Elvis
12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Marrianne has said all that needs to be said. If the Steelers come out and just run on 1st and 2nd down and pass on 3rd down, then this game is over before they even take the field. The Steelers must get their injured players back for this one or its not gonna even be close..
:tt02: