PDA

View Full Version : Steelers May Re-Sign Verron Haynes

alittlejazzbird
12-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Steelers may resign Verron Haynes
Tuesday, December 04, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers today worked out Verron Haynes with the idea they may sign him by the end of the day.

Haynes was released by the Steelers after training camp. He was originally a fifth-round draft pick by the team in 2002 then resigned with the Steelers in the off-season in 2006.

"I haven't gotten the word yet, " Haynes said this afternoon, "so I don't know." Haynes said he has been working out at his home in Georgia since his release.

The Steelers may be looking for someone to fill in for Najeh Davenport, who came down with a mysterious foot injury near the end of last week. Davenport, who serves as their third down back and also backs up starter Willie Parker, did not dress for Sunday's game against Cincinnati. Coach Mike Tomlin said today that Davenport is questionable for their next game against New England.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07338/839063-66.stm

Steelman16
12-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Interesting....

I don't think I would mind him coming in, though he hasn't played this season beyond TC and Preseason. But if he's in shape...and Dav;s out...well, I reckon we outta sign him.

Blitzburgh_Fever
12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
No offense to Haynes, as I probably like him more than most...but I'd love to see Gary Russell get a few carries. Still, it's nice to get someone who knows our offense to take over for Najeh, even if it is drastically different than last year

squirreljr_98
12-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Great.

I've always liked Parker but he just hasn't been getting it done up the middle and is a great part of a good 1, 2 punch. Haynes has been with us for years and knows the offense. I think he'll help with the RB situation.

Hines0wnz
12-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Great.

I've always liked Parker but he just hasn't been getting it done up the middle and is a great part of a good 1, 2 punch. Haynes has been with us for years and knows the offense. I think he'll help with the RB situation.

Haynes would be a 3rd down back and nothing else barring Willie getting injured.

GeneralRobinson
12-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah...NFL Network reported that he worked out for Tampa Bay when they lost Williams and Pitman to injuries but they did not sign him. Tampa Bay was more desperate for running back help, so he must not have been that impressive. I would rather go with Russell, or run Carey Davis more out of the fullback position.

squirreljr_98
12-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Haynes would be a 3rd down back and nothing else barring Willie getting injured.

True.

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Did anyone ask Tomlin how Davenport "injured is foot"?

I heard no follow-up on the NBC claim somebody on the Steelers said there was more to this than a bad foot.

OneForTheToe
12-04-2007, 02:39 PM
At least Verron knows how to pick up a blitz - and is something.

squirreljr_98
12-04-2007, 02:48 PM

I heard no follow-up on the NBC claim somebody on the Steelers said there was more to this than a bad foot.

Yeah, I read that he injured it working our trying to shed some weight.

klick81
12-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I hope so. I think Verron can get the job done.

alittlejazzbird
12-04-2007, 02:50 PM

Ed B. was asked that question during his chat, and here's what he said:

Has there been any hints to how Davenport's injury occurred and what's his status on Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: There are hints and there are statements and so far the two do not mesh.

In other words, something is rotten in Denmark.

19ward86
12-04-2007, 02:59 PM
i loved verron haynes when he played with us, he is a great thrid down back and can provide a solid start if we needed him too. i think it is funny that a guy that was drafted by us as a fullback gets turned into a running back and then released, while the year after we turn some random guy from a running back into a fullback. i think he could compete with carey davis for a fullback job.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Not a bad idea. I like Verron in third down situations. He can pick up the blitz and he is pretty good on screens and draws.

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2007, 03:10 PM

After reading the Ed.B. from the P-G chat, the elliptical machine story (where Tomlin said Davenportt hurt his "knee" (after he was deactivated for an injured "foot") may not have a lot of credibility:smile:

Najeh got hurt on an elliptical machine? They showed some video of Najeh running before the game and there was definitely a pronounced hitch in his giddy-up, so to speak, but do you buy that explanation?

Ed Bouchette: No....

The announcers mentioned that Tomlin said there were "other issues" with Davenport. Any info on that?

Ed Bouchette: Not yet.

Any truth to the rumors about Najeh mixing it up Satuday night before the game with few folks who packed a bigger punch?

Ed Bouchette: I heard it was Friday.

Has there been any hints to how Davenport's injury occurred and what's his status on Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: There are hints and there are statements and so far the two do not mesh.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07338/839062-66.stm

SteelerFanInCA
12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Hopefully the mystery gets cleared up soon. Davenport didn't look to good running prior to last week's game.

jjpro11
12-04-2007, 03:29 PM
maybe verron's acl has healed more since training camp.

TackleMeBen
12-04-2007, 03:35 PM
this means ben gets his old roomie back..lol....

FOOTEupyourarse
12-04-2007, 04:02 PM
:cheer:i think verron would be a great addition. the guy can block and was always awesome on that famous 3rd and long draw play we seemed to run every other series in years past.

geo123
12-04-2007, 04:09 PM
We definitly need some one with Davenport out. I wish we could get Bettis, or someone like him. A good Bettis style runner is what we need.

Edman
12-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Yes! Bring Back Verron! In his limited playing time here, he's done nicely. Too bad he got hurt.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Well I certainly would be willing to welcome him back.

stlrtruck
12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I'd love to see Verron back in the lineup, he was definitely a good 3rd down option - put him and Davis back there and that would give Ben some greater options.

Besides Verron seemed to always have that extra "UMPH" when we needed it! Instead of getting to the 1st down marker, he got 2 yards passed it!

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
I'd love to see Verron back in the lineup, he was definitely a good 3rd down option - put him and Davis back there and that would give Ben some greater options.

Besides Verron seemed to always have that extra "UMPH" when we needed it! Instead of getting to the 1st down marker, he got 2 yards passed it!

Sometimes even more!

Elvis
12-04-2007, 07:03 PM
We definitly need some one with Davenport out. I wish we could get Bettis, or someone like him. A good Bettis style runner is what we need.
geo my friend, I honestly believe that the days of the Bus are over. I agree with the need of a good young power back is a must in the offseason. As far as Haynes coming back... I love the idea if he is healthy enough to contribute.
:tt02:

HometownGal
12-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Excellent! :thumbsup: I wasn't happy when he was released, as I felt he played fairly well during his time with the Steelers. With the reality closing in that Pooper may be out this week, we need a pounder and Verron fits that bill nicely.

steelpride12
12-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Great, that would be awesome i always liked his ability on 3rd down, but has been limited by injury, but mabey his comeback can help us out!

msafford
12-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Do you think "shred some weight" means dropping a deuce somewhere he shouldn't have? :wink02::flap:

ShutDown24
12-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Don't know if anybody has heard this yet but Verron is BACK!!! Just heard we re-signed him on channel 4, more when I find out if this isn't old news. (Sorry if it is)

HometownGal
12-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Don't know if anybody has heard this yet but Verron is BACK!!! Just heard we re-signed him on channel 4, more when I find out if this isn't old news. (Sorry if it is)

I merged your post with the thread already in existence, Shut Down. You're forgiven......THIS time. :wink02:

tony hipchest
12-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Do you think "shred some weight" means dropping a deuce somewhere he shouldn't have? :wink02::flap:

:chuckle: :thumbsup: nice...

i had to raise an eybrow wehn haynes couldnt catch on with tampa bay or miami (or arizona or the patriots for that matter).

then again he cant step in and learn their system overnight.

as long as whoever is back there can not allow ben to get killed, i am ok. at this point im sure haynes can do that, but the rust probably will ba a factor.

haynes wasnt a great football player, but a great teammate and steeler. it would be great to see him have an impact and resurrect his career.

revefsreleets
12-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Sorry, this scares me a little. We are so shallow at RB that we need a gimpy guy cut by the worst team in football?

Hopefully this is just insurance.

nicesteel4life
12-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Dont scare me, i call it insurance...he was with us through pre-season so he has a grasp of our offense a little. I think he is a great 3rd down back, Dont trust Davis and Russell with the pigskin against Pats if Willie were to go down. They would both probably feel like a deer in headlights!

DACEB
12-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Russell might like the opportunity to show up his fellow Minn. buddy Maroney. Give Russell a chance!!

Counselor
12-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I heard something on the radio this morning that made me think about why they would want Haynes back . . . an "analyst" was talking about how the pats are suceptible to screen pass to running backs in third down situations. Verron Haynes gives us that weapon. He is a better blocker than Davenport---which we need on third down, and I recall him being at least decent at catching a pass out of the backfield. And of couse he knows the system.

Something is fishy with this Davenport injury.

Rotorhead
12-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Ok so everyone that is on the rookie back kick, they are rookies that played well in the preseason, not a big endorsement in my book. Haynes has been productive for the Steelers for YEARS and as long as there are no major rust issues is far more reliable than unproven guys. I honestly think Haynes could have started for many teams over the years, he just had the bad luck to be behind the Bus for his best years. I am happy he is back and everyone that has seen him play knows he will play harder than anyone else on the team (he is trying to win a spot back on the roster for pete's sake)

moedap
12-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Ok so everyone that is on the rookie back kick, they are rookies that played well in the preseason, not a big endorsement in my book. Haynes has been productive for the Steelers for YEARS and as long as there are no major rust issues is far more reliable than unproven guys. I honestly think Haynes could have started for many teams over the years, he just had the bad luck to be behind the Bus for his best years. I am happy he is back and everyone that has seen him play knows he will play harder than anyone else on the team (he is trying to win a spot back on the roster for pete's sake)

I second that!!!!!

stlrtruck
12-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I say WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT KUHN!!!!!!

I mean I'm not upset at having Haynes back but Kuhn had upswing and a lot of it!

Edman
12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Sorry, this scares me a little. We are so shallow at RB that we need a gimpy guy cut by the worst team in football?

Hopefully this is just insurance.

Verron may be gimpy, but you cannot deny his 3rd down skills. Before he was cut by the Saints, he was cut by us after so many years. I don't think he's such a bad player. He just got hurt.

The Steelers will need all the help they can get.

Dino 6 Rings
12-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Verron would be nothing but an addition to the depth at running back. He wouldn't get many carries unless someone got hurt or if Willie had fumblitis again, which I doubt will happen. If Verron couldn't make the Tampa Bay team after they had 4 backs get hurt, I don't think he's going to be in the "playing shape" we will require for this game this Sunday. This is probably a move for the playoffs, anticipating Najeh being down longer than 1 or 2 weeks. Its a Depth thing, not a replacement thing. Davis and Russell will get more carries as the season wears on.

ChronoCross
12-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Tampa and Miami may not of wanted Haynes. But what is Haynes good at, 3rd down. What is Miami and Tampa looking for.... A every down back, Haynes is not a Everydown back. I would trust Haynes at this part of the season over any rookie with his blocking and 3rd down production he has given us over the years. I hope we do re sign Haynes. I Keep looking for the signing and hope for it and I think its something we need down the stretch.

Infamix
12-05-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm looking forward to this so much if we sign him...we can get our 3rd down blocking back.

TackleMeBen
12-05-2007, 12:40 PM
if he can hold on to the ball and get in the end zone, then sign him..

Infamix
12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Steelers' Davenport ready to return Sunday
Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Steelers last night decided to pass on signing Verron Haynes after they determined that halfback Najeh Davenport was healthy enough to play Sunday in New England.

Davenport's right foot swelled after he underwent an accupuncture treatment on it away from the Steelers' facility and not supervised by their medical staff. He did not dress Sunday because of the swelling, then he traveled to Miami for the Monday funeral of his former college teammate, Sean Taylor.

The Steelers, in the meantime, worked out Haynes, their former back who they released before the season. They wanted to have someone ready in case the swelling in Davenport's right foot jeopardized his availability for their game in New England on Sunday.

Once they examined Davenport late on Monday after his return home, they decided not to sign Haynes.

First published on December 5, 2007 at 2:01 pm

I was looking forward to having him back too. Mods, please don't merge this thread because it's easier for people to see this right away. Thanks :tt02:

revefsreleets
12-05-2007, 01:32 PM
The rumor is that Big Dookie got his ass whupped on at some club on the Strip Friday night.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
So much for the story from Tomlin on Tuesday that Davenport injured his knee on an elliptical machine while trying to lose weight. Mildly surprising Tomlin is a party to putting out these false cover stories, but I guess he can claim Davenport keeps telling differernt stories.

The ass kicking story that is floating around seems most likely to me.

19ward86
12-05-2007, 01:39 PM
haynes never was that fast and because he doesnt have size i think that was his downfall in the NFL. he is just as fast as Dookie but 25LBS lighter. i really wish they would of signed him he could very easily play fullback for us mostly since we have a running fullback now. big dookie needs to be in the gym not at a club.

Infamix
12-05-2007, 01:55 PM
The rumor is that Big Dookie got his ass whupped on at some club on the Strip Friday night.

Don't guys like Big Dookie realize that getting in fights at clubs is NOT alpha?!? Damn, the least he could have done was dump on the dude (or the tranny stripper) and save some of his integrity. Now THATS alpha :thumbsup:

alittlejazzbird
12-05-2007, 02:34 PM
You know, I'm not going to speculate on rumors. I agree that Tomlin is less than truthful when it comes to injury reports, but if that keeps our opponents on their toes, then it's OK by me. Seems pretty clear it was an off-field incident that caused Najee's injury, but if Tomlin lets him play, then it doesn't really matter how it happened.

If he has become a problem child for the Steelers, he won't be back next season. That's how the Rooneys operate, and I would expect a guy like Mike Tomlin to be 100% in support of those "character" types of decisions.

Sorry to hear about Verron, though - I always liked him and thought he was a good third-down back.

HometownGal
12-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm not going to speculate on rumors, either. I've heard nothing on the local news or sports beats that indicate Pooper was involved in any type of altercation and until I do, I'm not going to cast a stone. As long as he's ready to play by Sunday afternoon and goes out there and plays his best, that's all that matters to me at this point. If he is a problem child, the Steelers and Tomlin will deal with it in the offseason and then let the chips fall where they may.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm not going to speculate on rumors, either. I've heard nothing on the local news or sports beats that indicate Pooper was involved in any type of altercation and until I do, I'm not going to cast a stone. As long as he's ready to play by Sunday afternoon and goes out there and plays his best, that's all that matters to me at this point. If he is a problem child, the Steelers and Tomlin will deal with it in the offseason and then let the chips fall where they may.

Ed.B. was asked in his P-G chat yesterday if Davenport got his butt whipped on Saturday night and responded that he heard it was Friday night. Ed.B. furter said he does not believe any of the official "explanations."

Aside from not sticking with a consistent story on what happened (foot/knee-elliptcal machine/foot-acupuncture), someone on the Steelers decided to tell NBC on Sunday there was "more to the story" than the foot injury. Once that was stated the Steelers basically were asking for speculation.

IMO someone in the front office has seen enough of Dookie - my bet is he is gone after this sason

alittlejazzbird
12-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Ed.B. was asked in his P-G chat yesterday if Davenport got his butt whipped on Saturday night and responded that he heard it was Friday night. Ed.B. furter said he does not believe any of the official "explanations."

I think that was a joke. Ed's chats are famous for their dry humor, which often goes right over the heads of the chat participants.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I think that was a joke. Ed's chats are famous for their dry humor, which often goes right over the heads of the chat participants.

If just that comment I would agree, but in the context of Ed.B. repeatedly saying the Steelers explanations were bullshit in the chat I disagree.

alittlejazzbird
12-05-2007, 03:48 PM
If just that comment I would agree, but in the context of Ed.B. repeatedly saying the Steelers explanations were bullshit in the chat I disagree.

He was repeatedly asked about it during the chat, which is why he repeatedly expressed his opinion that things weren't adding up (something on which I think we can all agree; they don't add up). I do think the "Friday" comment was a joke, but we can certainly agree to disagree on that!

ShutDown24
12-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I wish we wouldn't have passed on Verron :( - He is an elite 3rd down back.

Infamix
12-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Well I'm glad the mods listened to my request...not. :( you guys make me cry. seriously though...I really think we should have resigned him but that's easy for me to say from a chair at home without seeing him

SteelersMongol
12-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Steelers' Davenport ready to return Sunday
Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Steelers last night decided to pass on signing Verron Haynes after they determined that halfback Najeh Davenport was healthy enough to play Sunday in New England.

Davenport's right foot swelled after he underwent an accupuncture treatment on it away from the Steelers' facility and not supervised by their medical staff. He did not dress Sunday because of the swelling, then he traveled to Miami for the Monday funeral of his former college teammate, Sean Taylor.

The Steelers, in the meantime, worked out Haynes, their former back who they released before the season. They wanted to have someone ready in case the swelling in Davenport's right foot jeopardized his availability for their game in New England on Sunday.

Once they examined Davenport late on Monday after his return home, they decided not to sign Haynes.

First published on December 5, 2007 at 2:01 pm

I was looking forward to having him back too. Mods, please don't merge this thread because it's easier for people to see this right away. Thanks :tt02:

That sucks cuz I always liked Verron.

stlrtruck
12-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Come on - Verron could have been huge in this game on Sunday. At least he wouldn't have gone into the pile butt first.

Preacher
12-07-2007, 12:28 AM

Ahhh crud.

I really have never been impressed with him myself, and was happy when he was cut. However, If he gets the call on Sunday then, GO VERRON.

Haiku_Dirtt
12-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Been there. Done that.

Can he play special teams? If no then it's a wasted roster spot.

revefsreleets
12-07-2007, 08:54 AM
He used to play special teams. He used to be a good 3rd down back. I have a feeling his last injury did him in. It's not easy to get cut by the Dolphins as a running back.

Preacher
12-07-2007, 08:19 PM
He used to play special teams. He used to be a good 3rd down back. I have a feeling his last injury did him in. It's not easy to get cut by the Dolphins as a running back.

:sofunny::sofunny: