PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher?

redzone79
12-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I don't want to sound like an fair-weather fan, but I am having trouble getting as excited this year as I have in the past. Dont know if it is b/c of the new coach. Might also be b/c when I started watching the steelers Cowher was the coach. Anyway, any body hear anything about new coaching openings for Cowher?? Hope this doesnt duplicate any threads or gets moved, if it does I am sorry! :helmet::tt02::jammin::cheer: SOMEBODY PLEASE BEAT THOSE CHEATER PATRIOTS, 2 TEAMS CAME CLOSE BUT I KNOW THE STEELERS CAN DO IT!

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I don't want to sound like an fair-weather fan, but I am having trouble getting as excited this year as I have in the past. Dont know if it is b/c of the new coach. Might also be b/c when I started watching the steelers Cowher was the coach. Anyway, any body hear anything about new coaching openings for Cowher?? Hope this doesnt duplicate any threads or gets moved, if it does I am sorry! :helmet::tt02::jammin::cheer: SOMEBODY PLEASE BEAT THOSE CHEATER PATRIOTS, 2 TEAMS CAME CLOSE BUT I KNOW THE STEELERS CAN DO IT!

Yeah - this year is nowhere near as enjoyable as starting the season 2-6 with a head coach who was playing out the string.

redzone79
12-04-2007, 07:21 PM
yeah I miss him as a coach, the looks were classic. But it's nice seeing him as an analyst on CBS.

cubanstogie
12-04-2007, 07:27 PM
I was more excited for this year to start. I've always liked Cowher, but no matter how good the coach there is always a time when change is good. I know Ben is happier and is obviously playing better. Due to health and probabley feels a weight off his shoulders. Tomlin has been criticized more recently than the start of the season, I personally couldn't be happier with him. I have disagreed with a few calls but overall the guy has been excellent. Plus I would rather listen to him in press conferences anyday. The guy is a class act. Belicheat could learn a lot from his demeanor.

redzone79
12-04-2007, 07:32 PM
when your in the spotlight there is always going to be people out there that will criticize ya. The only thing that the patriots coach/players can learn is not to cheat or to not get caught cheating. someone needs to put them in there place, they are getting to ****y. And there is only 1 TEAM that can do that! Guess who?

FastWillieParker39
12-04-2007, 07:46 PM
So you're not excited about what Tomlin has done and will do? You're not excited about the bright future Mike Tomlin has here in Pittsburgh?

Bill Cowher was very good here in PIttsburgh and I was sad to see him leave but he needed to go.

redzone79
12-04-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm very excited about the steelers future. This year just seems to be I dont know how to explain it. I look forward to and get excited watching the game and all. I guess I dont like change but what I know is that I can't wait till next weeks game.

fansince'76
12-04-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm very excited about the steelers future. This year just seems to be I dont know how to explain it. I look forward to and get excited watching the game and all. I guess I dont like change but what I know is that I can't wait till next weeks game.

It sounds like you haven't adjusted to Tomlin yet, and that's perfectly understandable. I'm not sure how old you are, but if Cowher is the only Steelers HC you have ever known before this year, I'm guessing you're fairly young. Hell, I'm almost 40, and I've only known 2 other Steelers HCs besides Tomlin in my lifetime, at least since becoming a football fan. It's great to have the stability rather than a new HC every 2-3 years like a lot of teams.

Statik
12-04-2007, 07:58 PM
I definitely like Tomlin to the point that if Cowher wanted to come back rejuvinated, I wouldn't want him back. I've liked seeing Tomlin on the sidelines. Only issue I have is that lately the steelers have been looking a little lethargic on the sidelines, not looking very hyped up. That'd better change for the upcoming game, but I think they will be hyped up for it.

redzone79
12-04-2007, 08:03 PM
well it's not nice to ask an lady her age but I don't care about my age, i'm 28. It's to hard for everyone, players, staff and fans to adjust to head coaching changes every several years. At least the Rooney's arent fickled, they stick with a coach through ups-and-downs, through loosing and winning seasons.

redzone79
12-04-2007, 08:04 PM
yeah, they have been kinda down, hope they get jacked up for the next game, its a very crucial game and going to be very exciting.

Statik
12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
yeah, they have been kinda down, hope they get jacked up for the next game, its a very crucial game and going to be very exciting.

Yup, and right now my wife is 9 months pregnant, so as long as she doesn't go into labor sunday hahhaha....she's going to be induced on the 13th so...

....just kidding, baby is waaay more important =P

RoethlisBURGHer
12-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I am with Statik, I wouldn't take Cowher back.

Cowher is basicly the only coach I have ever known. I was about 7 when Cowher took over the Pittsburgh Steelers, I am 22 now. I have tons of memories of Coach Cowher.

But I am very excited about Mike Tomlin. I think he is going to bring many championships to the Steelers. He'll continue the history of coachng success in the Steelers.

I was probally more excited for this season that most others. I was excited to see how Tomlin would do in various aspects of the job. I was excited to see Ben prove all the doubters wrong. I was excited because I had a feeling that this would be a tremendous season.

tony hipchest
12-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I don't want to sound like an fair-weather fan, but I am having trouble getting as excited this year as I have in the past. Dont know if it is b/c of the new coach. Might also be b/c when I started watching the steelers Cowher was the coach. Anyway, any body hear anything about new coaching openings for Cowher?? Hope this doesnt duplicate any threads or gets moved, if it does I am sorry! :helmet::tt02::jammin::cheer: SOMEBODY PLEASE BEAT THOSE CHEATER PATRIOTS, 2 TEAMS CAME CLOSE BUT I KNOW THE STEELERS CAN DO IT!eh, what youre feeling is normal. were not supposed to get excited because tomlin is a rookie coach and theyre not supposed to do anything in the 1st season. definitely not supposed to expect a superbowl. the threshold has been set and tomlin cant top the expectations hes already exceeded (especially in a year where the patriots name is already engraved on the lombardi).

hell, in the pre season we couldnt even say tomlin was a great hire. the company fan line was we had to wait how the season played out. (its played out pretty much like preseason did- about 4wins for every loss).

its hard to get excited when others are allowed to dictate our expectations.

im excited for tomlin like i was for ben in 2004. my expectations for this team havent dropped none since cowher was replaced even though i always expected him to always contend for the title.

im pretty hyped, just as i would be if cowher was playing out the final year of his contract.

redzone79
12-04-2007, 08:21 PM
As a team, I hope the team kicks butt this week and continues to do well for the rest of this season and every season from now on. I know it's a long shot b/c no team has a winning season every season but I can dream now can't I, LOL:sofunny::thumbsup:

redzone79
12-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks tony hipchest. you basically put into words what I was thinking and feeling, just didnt know how to put it into sentences.

Stlrs4Life
12-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Well, in your logic, I miss Coach Noll. And no, there is no immediate opening for Cowher anywhere.

jjpro11
12-04-2007, 08:39 PM
i think even the fans had a bit of a super bowl hangover last year. 25 years of waiting and we finally got one for the thumb. but this year the desire to get to the super bowl is as great as ever.

19ward86
12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
that is weird because i am more excited this year. more experience, more depth, and more strength, all the things needed for the #1 defense. i hate sundays because i know i have to wait 7 days until the next game is on.

Agent45
12-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Well, in your logic, I miss Coach Noll. And no, there is no immediate opening for Cowher anywhere.

I will actually be a little bit surprised if Cowher is coaching again as soon as next year. That said, there are more than a handful of people in Atlanta (myself included) who wouldn't mind seeing that jaw patrolling the Falcons sideline next year! I'm also quite sure a handful of N.C. universities would bathe in the blood of a couple wealthy alumni to have him as well. I don't see Cowher going to the college game though.

tony hipchest
12-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks tony hipchest. you basically put into words what I was thinking and feeling, just didnt know how to put it into sentences.

lol. i understand your frustration. under the cowher era we got used to being in atleast the final 4 ever 2.5 years. hard to change from that.

and now with the change we're told we shouldnt expect more than 8-8 because of a rookie coach and because ben supposedly showed his "true colors" last season, despite having the same level of talent that won a sb less than 2 years ago. :dang:

tomlin said from day 1 his goal this year was to win a champ and you could tell it wasnt lip service. i was convinced we would miss cowher but not drop off in our production or expectations with him gone. i think its safe to be excited for the future now AND thre rest of this season.

i may end up disappointed in the end (not the 1st time) but id rather meet an undefeated team in the champ game and lose than not get that far in the 1st place.

i see the glass as half full. hypothetically we could redeem ourselves for losing to the undefeated 72 dolphins and allowing them to go to the sb. and if they dont? well, they do say history repeats itself and the steelers went on a 6 year tear after that loss.

still gotta make the playoffs, and if we make it that far or not, i am still excited about pulling off a "miracle". (regardless of whos coach. there are 2 people in the nfl you can no longer consider rookies. mike tomlin and adrian peterson)

Hines0wnz
12-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I empathize. In 1991, I felt like the world was sinking when Chuck Noll left and this young guy Cowher comes in to coach. An ex-Brown leading the Steelers?? Blasphemy I said! But...I saw what he could do to prepare and motivate a team to play at a high level even without marquee players. And this happened year after year until he left. When Tomlin was hired I smelled the same formula but a different personality. We are seeing similar results already in his rookie season which makes me happy for the future of this team.

HometownGal
12-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I think people in general are a little apprehensive about change. I felt the same way as you do when Cowher took over for Noll, as I grew up with Noll as the Steelers HC. Cowher put those fears to rest quickly and I grew to admire and respect The Chin over the years. I had the same apprehension when he announced his resignation from the Steelers, but Tomlin impressed me so much in his first press conference that those butterflies in my stomach flew away and my confidence in Tomlin soared as the weeks have gone by. :thumbsup::tt02:

The Noll era was phenomenal, the Cowher era was awesome, and I believe in my black and gold heart that the Tomlin era is going to be the wildest and most exciting ride this organization and we as fans have ever experienced. :cheers:

I forget which analyst posed the question to Cowher, but he was asked if he was considering returning to the sideline next season and he emphatically replied "no". He went on to say that he enjoys commentating and he had that twinkle in his eye, so I would assume he is very content with his analyst role.

FastWillieParker39
12-04-2007, 09:16 PM

ok then we're good then :thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
12-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I bet John Fox is shown the door and the Panthers will go after Cowher.

I know that Snyder dissed Schoettenheimer (Cowher's mentor...father :>)....but Washington may go after him as well.

My money is on Cowher in Carolina.

I miss Cowher as well, but it was time for a change. He was ready for a break. Remember...he may be gone, but he's still family. He knows it and we know it too.

BlastFurnace
12-04-2007, 10:10 PM
I empathize. In 1991, I felt like the world was sinking when Chuck Noll left and this young guy Cowher comes in to coach. An ex-Brown leading the Steelers?? Blasphemy I said! But...I saw what he could do to prepare and motivate a team to play at a high level even without marquee players. And this happened year after year until he left. When Tomlin was hired I smelled the same formula but a different personality. We are seeing similar results already in his rookie season which makes me happy for the future of this team.

I believe that Chuck Noll was an ex-Brown himself. I appreciated what Chuck Noll did in the 70's and early 80's, but I was more than ready for him to retire. Personally, I felt that he was finished as a coach about 5-6 years before he retired. He had a good run in 1989, but the other years were either very average or really bad.

geo123
12-04-2007, 10:16 PM
I too had a hard time going from Noll to Cowher. Even though I thought cowher was a little too conservative I liked his emotion for the game.
Tomlin is doing well so far so it's hard tocomplain, but I would like to see a bit more emotion.

OX1947
12-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Cowher is no longer the coach in Pitt because of Ben Roethlisberger. Big Ben did not like Cowher. You could tell by his body language when Cowher would talk to him and when ever they interviewed him at the beginning of the season asking him about Mike Tomlin, he would always say how Tomlin treats you like a man, doesn't yell at you.

As big as Jerome Bettis was in Pitt, Bill Cowher was still the guy. Once Ben came to town, and then won the Super Bowl, for the first time in Cowhers reign, he no longer was the face of the Steelers. Bill knew this, and did the right thing by resigning.

PINDEL1
12-05-2007, 10:02 AM
If Bill Cowher ever coaches again he will never achieve what he accomplished with the Steelers.

He was and is a changed man for sure. His last year with the Steelers ('06) he was completely burned out. You could see that with his sideline demeanor. The fire he exhibited on the field as a young coach really ignited the Steelers on his quest for a SB. That fire was gone in '06 and will never burn again with another team.