PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Smith thinks DBs can handle Moss and Co.

Stlrs4Life
12-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Steelers' Smith thinks DBs can handle Moss and Co.

By Chris Harlan, Times Sports Staff

Published: Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:55 AM EST

PITTSBURGH ? Steelers safety Anthony Smith has watched the Patriots on television and isn?t all that impressed with New England?s receivers.

He says the Bengals are better.

?We?ve faced some tough receivers, but I think these (Bengals receivers) are the best we?re going to face,? Smith said after Sunday night?s confidence-swelling victory over the Cincinnati Bengals, 24-10, making the Steelers defensive backs believe they now can stop anybody.

Yes, even the Patriots.

?They?ve got Randy (Moss) and the other little scat guy but they don?t have downfield threats like Cincinnati.?

These are the unbeaten Patriots that Smith is talking about ? a pass-first offense that?s on pace to shatter the NFL?s scoring record.

Fellow safety Tyrone Carter wasn?t ready to agree with Smith?s declaration.

Not one week away from the most-awaited game on the Steelers? schedule.

?Both teams have three talented receivers,? Carter said very diplomatically. ?Randy Moss is having a phenomenal year. And Wes Welker is having a phenomenal year. ... They?re going to create some tough match-ups.?

Still, Smith says Cincinnati?s tandem of Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh are better.

?No question,? he said. ?Really, (the Patriots?) only deep threat is Randy Moss. As long as we can contain him we?ll be all right.?

Sunday, though, Smith and his teammates in the secondary made certain the Bengals receivers weren?t much of a threat.

Quarterback Carson Palmer completed only 17 of 41 passes for 183 yards and no touchdowns, certainly an off day for one of the league?s more accurate passers.

The victory gave the Steelers (9-3) a commanding two-game lead in the AFC North standings with only four games still to play.

They?ve already swept Cleveland (7-5) and now Cincinnati (4-8), and could sweep Baltimore in the Dec. 30 season finale.

But minutes after Sunday?s victory, the discussion in the Steelers locker room had already turned to New England.

?There?s always going to be hype,? cornerback Ike Taylor said, refusing to enter the ?who?s better? debate. ?That?s what the media is supposed to do. But as a player you have to enjoy it but you can?t get caught up in it.?

Taylor faced Moss last season, when the former Pro Bowl receiver was playing for the Oakland Raiders. Moss made only two catches for 20 yards but the Steelers lost 20-13 when Ben Roethlisberger threw four interceptions.

?I did all right,? Taylor said. ?We lost, so I guess I didn?t do good enough.?

The Steelers success against the Bengals started with the pressure created by the linebackers, but the coverage provided cornerbacks Taylor and Deshea Townsend was outstanding.

Johnson had six catches for 86 yards and Houshmandzadeh had five catches for 42 yards. No other Bengals receiver had more than two catches.

?We let them know we were going to be on (the receivers),? said Carter, who combined with Smith to make 14 tackles.

?It?s not like the receivers were wide open. (Palmer) had to stick the ball in there tight.?

The key, Smith said, was that the Bengals receivers were intimidated by the Steelers physical defensive backs, with Smith being the biggest hitter among the group.

Houshmandzadeh dropped passes in tight coverage. Johnson backed out of bounds after a fourth-down reception, 3 yards short of the first-down marker. Chris Henry once rolled into a ball waiting to get hit.

?It has a lot to do with it,? Smith said, ?because they were ducking a lot. Houshmandzadeh thought I was going to hit him. I was going for the interception and he was still ducking.?

And when Henry rolled, Smith told him: ?Good move. Smart play. Way to get down. He just started laughing.?

Smith plans to use that same strategy for stopping Moss when the Steelers play the Patriots in Foxborough, Mass., on Sunday afternoon. It?s the same plan the two safeties use for every receiver:

Hit them.

?Our main thing is we have to be aggressive and hit them in the mouth, let them know that if they catch it we?re going to be there,? said Carter, who has been filling in for injured teammate Troy Polamalu.

?With any wide receiver, if you?re hitting them hard, they?re thinking twice. ... The most aggressive team wins those battles.?

If Smith were a receiver, would he be willing to take a hit from Smith the safety?

?That?s a tough call,? Smith said. ?Possibly being put out or playing the rest of the game? I?d take my chances playing the rest of the game.?

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...a047097573.txt (http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2007/12/04/sports/doc4754dee483baa047097573.txt)

The Duke
12-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Oh, he's gonna handle Moss, with a very hard hit after making him drop a pass. I trust him to do that

But...not impressed? I think that's too much, but it's good to have confidence anyway.

What I'm worried about is Taylor becoming last year's idiot against Javon Walker. hopefully it won't, but it's still a little concern. if ike can single handedly take moss outta the game( I know, very improbable) I think they can sure stop the rest of the receivers

gotta love ike's coments though

“I did all right,” Taylor said. “We lost, so I guess I didn’t do good enough.

2 catches and still wants to do a better job. I love you Ike

“It has a lot to do with it,” Smith said, “because they were ducking a lot. Houshmandzadeh thought I was going to hit him. I was going for the interception and he was still ducking.”

Fear, that's gonna be the main element in this game. the pats don't get scared easily so this could get really interesting

that said...keep hitting them in the mouth Anthony, and make them pay!

I can't wait for this game!

jjpro11
12-04-2007, 10:11 PM
i cant say i enjoy hearing smith talk like that against a team notorious for using bulletin board material.. tomlin and lebeau may have a word with him about that. but i do like his confidence. i just hope he backs it up sunday.

Hines0wnz
12-04-2007, 10:25 PM
He, Ike and Troy just need to be ready for the bad couple of passes Brady will throw in this game. They need bare minimum one INT in this game to keep the passing game honest. Brady usually heaves at least 2 deep passes per game to Moss and from what I have seen, they could be intercepted by a DB paying attention.

tony hipchest
12-04-2007, 10:52 PM
a bit off topic, but i wonder whos gonna replace porter as the "mouth" of the team?

in tomlins presser he singled out 1 player who did exceptionally well in sunday nights game- deshea townsend who was singled up most of the game vs tj houshbagdumpah.

single him up on welker of stallworth (he usually only gets toasted by wr's 6 inches taller than him), double randy and the other wr and have 6 guys to rush the passer or 4 to rush and 2 to cover faulk and watson.

it can be done. im glad smith and carter have all the confidence in the world cause its no advantage to be down our 2 starting safeties.

geo123
12-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I know there's no cowards out there but a couple of hard hits early in the game(on the recievers) will have them thinking.
It seemed like the Ravens cover guys played the recievers tight to get a good hit off the line.

BlastFurnace
12-04-2007, 11:02 PM
I have no problem with what Smith said. I will have a problem with him if he goes out there and gets personal fouls due to trash talking or late hits.

Our boys should have confidence going into the game. I don't know if they will win....but I certainly don't want them taking the field scared.

Steel_Bus_24
12-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Faulk out of the backfield, Ben Watson and Welker are the true threats. Farrior and Foote are going to have to have a hell of a game in covering those sneaky bastards over the middle.

Steel Pit
12-05-2007, 02:35 AM
Faulk out of the backfield, Ben Watson and Welker are the true threats. Farrior and Foote are going to have to have a hell of a game in covering those sneaky bastards over the middle.

You said it all right there Bro. That freaking Faulk out of the backfield is my main concern. Man, I don't know why defenses let him slip into the flats without covering him. Faulk will often times act as if he's staying in to pass block, he'll chuck a defender and then run to the open flats. The Steelers will have to watch him closely.

Watson over the middle is a threat as well, especially during play action.

Welker is the only Patriots WR with balls enough to consistently catch passes over the middle. Moss is afraid to make "running catches" over the middle. Sure, he'll make a leaping catch if there's not a safety in front of him but the bottom line is that Moss is afraid of contact. Contain his streak routes and Moss is basically non-existent.

Preacher
12-05-2007, 03:00 AM
I have no problem with what Smith said. I will have a problem with him if he goes out there and gets personal fouls due to trash talking or late hits.

Our boys should have confidence going into the game. I don't know if they will win....but I certainly don't want them taking the field scared.

I will have NO PROBLEM with two penalties from smith in the first quarter... each keeping a drive alive even... for late hits.

WHy?

Because those two hits, very well may win us the game in the fourth when Moss and company hears footsteps and curls up into a little ball!

Yeah... You make the hit, take the punishment, and do it again to teach a lesson.

A penalty isn't bad at all if it is directed at the right person at the right time.

OX1947
12-05-2007, 03:52 AM
i cant say i enjoy hearing smith talk like that against a team notorious for using bulletin board material.. tomlin and lebeau may have a word with him about that. but i do like his confidence. i just hope he backs it up sunday.

Bulletin board material is the most overrated bunch of bullcrap next to the "proving all my naysayers wrong" card. Joey Porter said the Colts were soft for an entire week before going into the AFC Divisional Game 2 years ago, look what happen to them. Screw the Pats. I can't wait for Moss t oget a long one thrown to him, you know Smith is looking to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9szXZTMm-8&feature=related to his ass......

OX1947
12-05-2007, 03:56 AM
OR this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjKpnXBOr1Q&feature=related

Galax Steeler
12-05-2007, 04:58 AM
I just hope that smith can back up what he talks we need to get in the heads of the patriots recievers and smith can be the one that does it along with polamolu.

jjpro11
12-05-2007, 05:40 AM
Bulletin board material is the most overrated bunch of bullcrap next to the "proving all my naysayers wrong" card. Joey Porter said the Colts were soft for an entire week before going into the AFC Divisional Game 2 years ago, look what happen to them. Screw the Pats. I can't wait for Moss t oget a long one thrown to him, you know Smith is looking to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9szXZTMm-8&feature=related to his ass......

the pats are different. they are wackos when it comes to that stuff.

stillers4me
12-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Remeber when everyone got on my case for making fun of Carson Plamer for saying he was scared of the the Patriots???

Doesn't sound like our guys are intimidated by the big bad evil empire. And I agree with Preacher.....a few nasty hits early in the game will make them skittish. The Bengle receivers are a bunch of woosies that are afraid of breaking their fingernails. I think Moss will have to learn his lesson first hand..........and I believe Smith will back up his mouth on Sunday.

And Tom Brady needs that arrogant smirk wiped off his face a few times. James Harrison is drooling...................

moedap
12-05-2007, 08:08 AM
I will have NO PROBLEM with two penalties from smith in the first quarter... each keeping a drive alive even... for late hits.

WHy?

Because those two hits, very well may win us the game in the fourth when Moss and company hears footsteps and curls up into a little ball!

Yeah... You make the hit, take the punishment, and do it again to teach a lesson.

A penalty isn't bad at all if it is directed at the right person at the right time.

:toofunny: I agree! Randy Moss will not play like the Randy Moss of the Raiders. So Ike is going to have his hands full. There was one deep ball to Moss in the Ravens game where he had smoked McAllister and Reed(who was playing deep in the cover 2). Its that very deep threat which makes Wes Welker look so good. The safeties playing deeper b/c of Moss leaves the middle wide open for Welker and Watson who both are extremely fast especially on the release.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 08:10 AM
I do not believe opposing players give any more effort in response to someone shooting his mouth off, so I am not worried about Smith firing up the Pats.

Nevertheless, for someone who has been a starter for half of one season Smith certainly has a lot to say - to each his own, but I find Smith's off the field statements and on the field behavior to be juvenile.

Smith's comments and conduct presumably raise his standing with anyone who approves of players who exhibit the maturity of a 15 year old.

You can tear someone's head off on the field while still acting like a man while doing it (see, e.g., Donnie Shell, Mel Blount & James Harrison)

moedap
12-05-2007, 08:31 AM
I do not believe opposing players give any more effort in response to someone shooting his mouth off, so I am not worried about Smith firing up the Pats.

Nevertheless, for someone who has been a starter for half of one season Smith certainly has a lot to say - to each his own, but I find Smith's off the field statements and on the field behavior to be juvenile.

Smith's comments and conduct presumably raise his standing with anyone who approves of players who exhibit the maturity of a 15 year old.

You can tear someone's head off on the field while still acting like a man while doing it (see, e.g., Donnie Shell, Mel Blount & James Harrison)

Whats acting like a man? All men dont bottle up there emotions.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Whats acting like a man? All men dont bottle up there emotions.

But adults do a better job of controlling emotions than chidren and adolescents do - it's called maturity.

moedap
12-05-2007, 08:41 AM
I didnt know emotions could be controlled. I know true emotions can be concealed but if you are feeling something you are feeling it. Just because you decide not to "show" that emotion doesnt mean you controlled it.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I didnt know emotions could be controlled. I know true emotions can be concealed but if you are feeling something you are feeling it. Just because you decide not to "show" that emotion doesnt mean you controlled it.

We will agree to disagree - not acting on your first impulse and considering the consequences before you respond is the very essence of control.

revefsreleets
12-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree with Dan.

Note to Anthony Smith: Until you've earned the right to run your mouth, keep it shut.

19ward86
12-05-2007, 10:09 AM
he could be right about this when u matdh them up they arent far apart:

randy moss=chris henry(chris is better than chad)

wes welker=houzmanzada

donte stallworth=chad johnson

jabar gaffney=tab perry/glen holt

tom brady=carson palmer

the depth is pretty even offensively if u ask me, tight end and line is the only big difference.

Steel_Bus_24
12-05-2007, 10:29 AM
he could be right about this when u matdh them up they arent far apart:

randy moss=chris henry(chris is better than chad)

wes welker=houzmanzada

donte stallworth=chad johnson

jabar gaffney=tab perry/glen holt

tom brady=carson palmer

the depth is pretty even offensively if u ask me, tight end and line is the only big difference.

The difference though is Marsha. Marsha is leaps and bounds better at seeing a Blitz and getting it to that checkdown Bi*** Faulk.

TackleMeBen
12-05-2007, 10:35 AM
its good to see that brady's U of M education is worth something...he can read blitzs but cant.oh well i cant go there..lol....:flap:

i hope our dbs can get very physical with the pats wr's without getting stupid calls. yes i know its going to be hard when you are also playing the refs. but i am sure we can do it. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

alittlejazzbird
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree with Dan.

Note to Anthony Smith: Until you've earned the right to run your mouth, keep it shut.

Agreed. I love Anthony Smith's intensity, but he shows immaturity by often not being in control of his temper. He's had some stupid penalties; if it comes down to a late-game drive for a win, and he ends up with a needless 15-yard personal foul, you can bet the Patriots will capitalize.

Smith has the raw material to be a great player, but he has a lot of growing up to do first.

TackleMeBen
12-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Agreed. I love Anthony Smith's intensity, but he shows immatiruity by often not being in control of his temper. He's had some stupid penalties; if it comes down to a late-game drive for a win, and he ends up with a needless 15-yard personal foul, you can bet the Patriots will capitalize.

Smith has the raw material to be a great player, but he has a lot of growing up to do first.
maybe he can learn a few things from troy. we definately cant take a late penatly to give the pats a chance to win or put it away.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 01:47 PM
maybe he can learn a few things from troy. we definately cant take a late penatly to give the pats a chance to win or put it away.

And with regard to how you respond to questions from the media regarding the wondrfulness of Brady, Belichick & the Pats, Smith can learn a few things from his teammates:

"Obviously you think about it, because everybody talks about them because they are undefeated," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "Everything that has to do with news and sports is the New England Patriots, and deservedly so. They're a great football team offensively and defensively."

"We'd better get ready -- we know how explosive they are," linebacker Larry Foote said. "But we're confident with our own swagger. If we play our game, we can beat anybody."

Offensive tackle Max Starks said "some teams might be star-struck by them," but the Steelers won't be.

"Some defenses might be, 'Oh my gosh, I'm going against Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Donte Stallworth. Tom Brady is the quarterback.' Some people might get enamored with that," Starks said. "But I definitely don't see that in our defense."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3142456

Those statements do not poor mouth the Steelers, but they also do not trash the opposing team by claiming its receivers are not as good as the Bengals bunch.

moedap
12-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Antohony Smith guaranteed a victory!

Rhee Rhee
12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
if wejump out to an early lead we'll be fine its just that the D hasta contain the recievers and we gotta get to brady and definitely willie better get some new tires cause no way i want him runnin the way he has been the past 3 weeks

moedap
12-05-2007, 04:30 PM
And with regard to how you respond to questions from the media regarding the wondrfulness of Brady, Belichick & the Pats, Smith can learn a few things from his teammates:

"Obviously you think about it, because everybody talks about them because they are undefeated," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "Everything that has to do with news and sports is the New England Patriots, and deservedly so. They're a great football team offensively and defensively."

"We'd better get ready -- we know how explosive they are," linebacker Larry Foote said. "But we're confident with our own swagger. If we play our game, we can beat anybody."

Offensive tackle Max Starks said "some teams might be star-struck by them," but the Steelers won't be.

"Some defenses might be, 'Oh my gosh, I'm going against Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Donte Stallworth. Tom Brady is the quarterback.' Some people might get enamored with that," Starks said. "But I definitely don't see that in our defense."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3142456

Those statements do not poor mouth the Steelers, but they also do not trash the opposing team by claiming its receivers are not as good as the Bengals bunch.

All of that is just football P.C.

Big Ben had a tone that said "F*** the N.E. Patriots!" when he said that.
Max Starks basically said "F*** the N.E. Patriots! We aint scared of them M.F'rs"

Anthony "The Hammer" Smith says it out loud

"F*** THE N.E. PATRIOTS! WE ARE GOING TO BEAT THEM!"

All that talk of providing the N.E. lockerroom material is B.S.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 04:34 PM

Max Starks basically said "F*** the N.E. Patriots! We aint scared of them M.F'rs"

My point is "saying it out loud" (aka "keeping it real") is for punks - I agree Ben, Foote and Starks have no doubt about their team but they did not make snarky comments to make their point.

Some folks like braying jackasses and others do not - to each his own

:cheers:

TackleMeBen
12-05-2007, 04:47 PM

we all know that our good christian and faithful guys wouldnt use words like f the pats..lol:wink02:

eafratitpm3
12-05-2007, 06:28 PM
My only fear is FAULK, MARONEY, & WATSON these guys do well in the short passes and getting a lot of yards after the reception. I think if we can contain this part of the offense we will be fine. Welker, Moss & Stallworth will get their catches but the underneath stuff could kill us if we're not careful. Also, most of Marsha's passes are on a straight line so if our lineman can get their arms up and knock some of them down.