PDA

View Full Version : Just saw the line for Sunday - Steelers +12

Virginia Steeler
12-05-2007, 09:38 AM
When was the last time the Steelers were double digit underdogs??? When was the last time the #1 D in the league was +10 or more?

revefsreleets
12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm surprised to see the book still giving these double digit spreads since the Pats haven't been able to cover against pretty mediocre teams two weeks in a row.

nicesteel4life
12-05-2007, 09:56 AM
AWESOME were still considered UNDERDOGS! and thats what we feed on.......

GBMelBlount
12-05-2007, 10:10 AM
There is alot that goes into calculating spreads, but If you ONLY compared scoring stats you might say +10. But considering Patriots tend to run up the score I'd think it should be less than that.

19ward86
12-05-2007, 10:21 AM
AWESOME were still considered UNDERDOGS! and thats what we feed on.......

exactly, that was what i was thinking. nobody thinks we will win and it will fuel us.

geo123
12-05-2007, 10:24 AM
This makes me nervous. I noticed a lot of sportscasters picking the Steelers late yesterday. They weren't even talking about the pts. Now with 12 and NE not scoring like they had been it seems like there tring to lure people into taking the pts.
And we all know the people making the odds usually don't lose.

jjpro11
12-05-2007, 10:49 AM
This makes me nervous. I noticed a lot of sportscasters picking the Steelers late yesterday. They weren't even talking about the pts. Now with 12 and NE not scoring like they had been it seems like there tring to lure people into taking the pts.

well they lost 3 times when we faced the broncos, cardinals, and jets. they lost in 2005 when we were i believe double digit underdogs to the colts.

but anyways. i believe the line was actually at around +13 and as high as +15 when i checked monday night/early tuesday. so it has gone down a bit. PFT is speculating moss could be dinged up, and you know belichick would never let anyone know that.. so who knows.

tony hipchest
12-05-2007, 10:57 AM
well they lost 3 times when we faced the broncos, cardinals, and jets. they lost in 2005 when we were i believe double digit underdogs to the colts.

but anyways. i believe the line was actually at around +13 and as high as +15 when i checked monday night/early tuesday. so it has gone down a bit. PFT is speculating moss could be dinged up, and you know belichick would never let anyone know that.. so who knows.
the pats will say they are being disrespected for not being 20 point favorites.

i dont buy moss being hurt. ron jaworski showed where randy was taking plays off in the eagles game, and he wasnt too involved in the ravens game. if moss isnt involved he loafs. if his true colors start bleeding to the surface you know the team will go into spin control and blame an unknown lingering phantom injury.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 11:10 AM
The spread is designed not to predict the score but to put out a number where an approximately equal amount is bet on both teams - bookies like to make their money off the 11-10 vig and not by holding most of the $$ on one team and thereby gambling on who wins.

A greater than +10 spread given the media's continuing infatuation with the greatest team of all time that feeds the public perception is not surprising to me. A +7-10 line would draw a deluge of Pats $$$.

Add to that the Steelers managing to lose to the Jets on the road and I am not even sure which way I would bet if I did that sort of thing.

TackleMeBen
12-05-2007, 11:20 AM

i havent heard where they are picking the steelers to win. they are saying they have the best chance to beat them but they believe the evil empire will still win. mike greenberg made a good point this morning on mike and mike. he said that with the pats almost losing to the eagles and then should have lost to the ravens, they may come out and win big against the steelers. the only thing that worries me is the hype that media is giving this game, i hope that our team doesnt pay attn to it and just goes and plays with a lot of heart and passion.. and be the more VIOLENT team !!!:wink02:

PisnNapalm
12-05-2007, 11:53 AM
The pool I do had the Steelers +16. Amazing.... +16. I took that in a heartbeat.

stlrtruck
12-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Just think of it as the Bulletin Board Material just before the guys leave the locker room. It's us against the World of cheaters boys!!

Do your thing for 60 minutes!!!

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Steelers lost big in Indy in late November 2005 and then won 6 weeks later in the playoffs.

I can live with a repeat performance of that against the Pats and will not be disheartened by a 17-21 point loss.

This game Sunday hopefully will be fun but the games in January are what really matter. Just win the division and go from there.

tony hipchest
12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
just to add tomlins perspective-

What is the psychology of going into a game as an underdog?

That is probably some of the games Hines (Ward) likes to play with himself to get himself ready to play. Most guys do that. Hines is better than most. Hines has a ‘me against the world’ mentality. Hines still believes that a lot of people doubt his ability and that is the driving force for him. The reality is that they are a very good team and we think we are capable of being a very good team. This is not an Appalachian State at Michigan football game we are going into this weekend. They are good and we have to play well to have a chance to win. If we don’t, we are probably going to lose.

revefsreleets
12-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Yeah, see, the thing is, we are a very good football team. Our defense is exceptional and our offense is very, very good when it clicks. The Steelers will be coming to play. I don't care if the Pats took a couple weeks off or not. Both these teams will be bringing their A game, and, while the Steelers aren't nearly as explosive offensively as the Pats, they are vastly superior on the other side of the ball. These teams are not very far apart talent-wise.

Anything more than a TD is a total teaser.

OptionCoach
12-05-2007, 12:44 PM
It just went to +10

Dino 6 Rings
12-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Its a home game in "weather" for the leads leading offense, an undefeated team and the leagues "4th" best defense. They are favored because of their own talents and accomplishments as much as the steelers are road dogs because of their losses at NY, Zona and Denver.

It won't matter what the spread is come half time. The Patriots hate the Steelers, the Steelers hate the Patriots. Its one of the closest gaurded rivalries in football. Unlike the Colts Pats, these two teams don't respect each other and truly hate each other.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Its a home game in "weather" for the leads leading offense, an undefeated team and the leagues "4th" best defense. They are favored because of their own talents and accomplishments as much as the steelers are road dogs because of their losses at NY, Zona and Denver.

It won't matter what the spread is come half time. The Patriots hate the Steelers, the Steelers hate the Patriots. Its one of the closest gaurded rivalries in football. Unlike the Colts Pats, these two teams don't respect each other and truly hate each other.

IMO the Colts hate the Pats but with Dungy and Peyton you do not get the verbalization you do with the Steelers - kind of like an alcohol fire that is very hot but does not throw off as many obvious flames.

The Steelers may hate the Pats but they should respect having lost 4 out of the last 5 match-ups (including the 2 home AFC championship losses).

I agree the Pats think they can beat the Steelers anytime they need to and have no respect for them, regarding the Steelers & Cowher as the dumb kid who can always be outsmarted.

iloveben7
12-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Weren't we underdogs by a lot in the playoff game against the Colts in 05? Nobody thought we could beat them. I would prefer having the Steeler be underdogs.

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Just called in my bet + 13

steelpride12
12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Ha thats great gotta love being the underdogs give me great memories!(2005 playoffs)

HometownGal
12-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I love our boys being the underdogs!!!! :thumbsup::cheers::banana:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I think the Pats should be big time favorites....They can easily blow the Steelers out......That doesn't mean I don't think the Steelers can win this football game.......I like the Steelers chances but at the same time this team has to prove it can play well on the road.....So far they havn't played very good on the road this year.....

PatsFan2003
12-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm a Pats Fan and I think the line is ridiculous. Two weeks ago I might have felt differently but not now. I think the Steelers have an excellent chance to win the game.

My best hope is that the Brady will have the time to go through his progessions and get to the open man. I'm sure the Steelers will pressure him but the story of the last two weeks was not the offense as much as it was the Pats D. Ben R is just the type of QB to give that D some fits. They have "issues".

It's going to be a tough game to win.

HometownGal
12-06-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm a Pats Fan and I think the line is ridiculous. Two weeks ago I might have felt differently but not now. I think the Steelers have an excellent chance to win the game.

My best hope is that the Brady will have the time to go through his progessions and get to the open man. I'm sure the Steelers will pressure him but the story of the last two weeks was not the offense as much as it was the Pats D. Ben R is just the type of QB to give that D some fits. They have "issues".

It's going to be a tough game to win.

Saints be praised!! A Pats fan who isn't drinking the Foxboro koolaid! :cheers: Welcome to Steelers Fever, PatsFan2003. :wave:

I think the pressure that both the Eagles and Ravens D's put on Brady frustrated the hell out of him and it really showed in the game this past Monday. As we all know, Brady hates defenders anywhere near his space and one of the keys to us winning the battle on the defensive side of the ball is to keep pressure on him and make him hear footsteps.

I agree that Ben could give the Pats D fits, but that is going to depend on how well the OL protects him. They've been playing much better the last couple of weeks and hopefully that trend will continue.

PatsFan2003
12-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Saints be praised!! A Pats fan who isn't drinking the Foxboro koolaid! :cheers: Welcome to Steelers Fever, PatsFan2003. :wave:

I think the pressure that both the Eagles and Ravens D's put on Brady frustrated the hell out of him and it really showed in the game this past Monday. As we all know, Brady hates defenders anywhere near his space and one of the keys to us winning the battle on the defensive side of the ball is to keep pressure on him and make him hear footsteps.

I agree that Ben could give the Pats D fits, but that is going to depend on how well the OL protects him. They've been playing much better the last couple of weeks and hopefully that trend will continue.

Brady certainly doesn't like pressure (what QB does?) but he can deal with it. It's not like either Philly or the Ravens shut the Patriots out. The media has just gone overboard to the point where people think anything less that 50 points is a poor performance.

I really think the Pats will be able to score even against a zone blitzing team like the Steelers, the question will be whether it will be enough or at the right time (i.e the end) because...

I'm just worried sick about the D. The rush has been non-existant and a QB that can improvise is just going to kill us. When Boller and Feeley look like all-pro's there's a problem. I just hope Belichick can pull something out of his ... hat here.

revefsreleets
12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
The point is that a slow and old Ravens defense and a fairly average Eagles defense were able to slow the Patriots. The Pats defensive stats are all smoke and mirrors, since many of the shitty teams they blew out early were forced to become one-dimensional, and they lacked the talent to execute, which just made things worse.

The Steelers are capable of more. They can score on the Pats defense. They can play the kind of defense that will significantly slow that offense. If their ST hold, and they execute, I'd say the Pats are actually in trouble this week.