PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need it?

therocksteeler
12-05-2007, 08:40 PM
First off for the record and I bleed Black N Gold forever......but consider this....

Would it be great to totally destroy the Pats = YES

Do we need to place all our chips on the table in this game = ?

Will we probably play them again later down the road, in playoffs = We Hope/Very Possible

Could we use this game to build onto a later win in playoffs if we meet them again = Sure...(remember the Colts the year of "One For The Thumb"?)

So, opinions? Looking at "the big picture" ... Do we need this win?

tony hipchest
12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
"you play to win the game"
- herm edwards

i would like to see the steelers earn their checks. the rooneys dont pay tomlin to lose games in the regular season for a hypothetical matchup with 1 of 5 other teams who will make the playoffs for the afc.

the steelers have all of america (and probably none of "new" england) rooting for us. we owe it to america and the nfl to try and win.

PisnNapalm
12-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Beat their asses down twice. 'nuff said.

stillers4me
12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Beat their asses down twice. 'nuff said.

Eff the pats!

RoethlisBURGHer
12-05-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't think the team is placing all their chips on the table. However, this game is important to the Steelers in playoff seeding. I definatly wouldn't mind a bye week to go along with at least 1 home playoff game.

And there is a good chance we won't even meet the Patriots in the playoffs. They nearly lost to two bad teams these last two weeks. I think they are going to lose to the Steelers this upcoming Sunday. The could easily lose their first game to whomever plays them.

Stlrs4Life
12-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, I don't think wee go in there to lose. And if wee don't I'm not worried about no bye week either. Because i don't like our record after a bye week. In the playoffs or regular season for that matter.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-05-2007, 09:29 PM
I think that this game is critical not only for moral but the playoff race. With Cleveland only a few games behind every game becomes important.

Atlanta Dan
12-05-2007, 09:35 PM
And there is a good chance we won't even meet the Patriots in the playoffs. They nearly lost to two bad teams these last two weeks. I think they are going to lose to the Steelers this upcoming Sunday. The could easily lose their first game to whomever plays them.

After Cleveland lost to Arizona, the Steelers have a margin for error to win the division.

If the Steelers finish with the #4 seed (possible with finishing 2-2 if the Chargers win out) they would go to New England for the second round of the playoffs, assuming they would win a first round home game against the #5 seed (no doubt Jax). Jax is a team IMO that can beat anyone.

Steelers need to finish 12-4 to get the Titans or Browns in the first round and then Indy (my preference); a Pats win is no more important for seeding purposes than the other 3 games.

I think Indy finishes 14-2 if it needs to win out and will get the other bye..

ShutDown24
12-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Obviously we don't NEED to win this game... But it would be nice... We have the division won so it's not like we should use all of our energy up before the post-season but, again, it would make a statement. Plus we are garunteed to win so there is nothing to worry about :)

BozMan
12-05-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm suprised that this idea has gotten this much traction. There is no question that we need this game. Steelers fans (i.e., customers) deserve nothing less.

tony hipchest
12-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Obviously we don't NEED to win this game :jawdrop:... But it would be nice... We have the division won :huh: so it's not like we should use all of our energy up before the post-season but, again, it would make a statement. Plus we are garunteed to win so there is nothing to worry about :)

NFL players + this frame of mind = late season chokers

we won the sb in 05 cause we needed every win. we missed the playoffs the following year because "do we really need it" entered the mind as soon as week 3.

every win is important, and a midseason loss to the lowly jets, dolphins, or raiders can be the difference of going on to win the sb or sucking at home on the couch.

MACH1
12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Every game counts, doesn't it? And there's jacksonville still after this one. Of course we need it.

tony hipchest
12-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Every game counts, doesn't it? And there's jacksonville still after this one. Of course we need it.does anyone think the ravens wont wanna kick the shit out of us in the final game? i doubt they have the emotion to draw on that they had monday night but them beating us in the final game this season will be like us beating the bungles in the final game of last season. i just hope a playoff berth isnt on the line.

we still got the rams too. if their offense is healthy, it is much more dynamic than any of the 3 we lost to, on the road, so far this season.

ChronoCross
12-05-2007, 11:30 PM
If we want a first round bye, we need this win along with a INdy loss. We need every win we can get. So we only need 1 win and a browns loss to lock the division. But I would prefer to win out and atleast have some home field adv, which has been are strongest point this year so far.

Davison_K
12-05-2007, 11:49 PM
The year Pittsburgh did beat the Patriots (05?) the 15-1 season, Pittsburgh lost the more important of the games. The AFC Championship. In all honesty because I am leaving for basic training in 2 weeks, this is the Steelers Super Bowl for me. I won't see the rest of the season. I just pray that this game comes as a win. It will be the year that no matter what happens, Pittsburgh won it in my mind.

MACH1
12-06-2007, 12:13 AM
does anyone think the ravens wont wanna kick the shit out of us in the final game? i doubt they have the emotion to draw on that they had monday night but them beating us in the final game this season will be like us beating the bungles in the final game of last season. i just hope a playoff berth isnt on the line.

we still got the rams too. if their offense is healthy, it is much more dynamic than any of the 3 we lost to, on the road, so far this season.

Yeah...Its not going to be a cake walk like some unbeatable teams. :rolleyes:

Boomerang
12-06-2007, 12:32 AM
We go out t o beat them good and every game we play treat the same.No mercy is the mantra.

Galax Steeler
12-06-2007, 03:53 AM
I would take a win against the pats any day.

jdsdaguy
12-06-2007, 05:05 AM
just a thought. records and seeds aside. if we beat the pats and see them again in the playoffs, will we beat them again or choke on the memories of this win?

The Duke
12-06-2007, 05:53 AM
does anyone think the ravens wont wanna kick the shit out of us in the final game?.

Our backups will beat them up :tt02:

stillers4me
12-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Of course we need it. Just like we needed to beat the tar out of the Bungles last New Years Eve even though we were already eliminated out of the playoffs. Every game is a must win.

geo123
12-06-2007, 06:37 AM
I'd like to think we need to win every game. If we do lose we're not in bad shape but there's more pressure to win the other games.

HometownGal
12-06-2007, 07:55 AM
I say keep the surge going and go for the win in each and every remaining game. Our remaining schedule is a helluva lot tougher than the Pats, Colts and Browns and we're fighting for the all-important positioning. YES - we need this win.

ShutDown24
12-06-2007, 08:41 AM
NFL players + this frame of mind = late season chokers

we won the sb in 05 cause we needed every win. we missed the playoffs the following year because "do we really need it" entered the mind as soon as week 3.

every win is important, and a midseason loss to the lowly jets, dolphins, or raiders can be the difference of going on to win the sb or sucking at home on the couch.

Of course, players shouldn't feel htat way - But this isn't a forum for players :sofunny:

steelpride12
12-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I think every win you can get is important in the NFL expecially if your not 12-0. We are still in the hunt for the second seed in the playoffs, but not so sure i want it speaking we do better with a wildcard game!

SteelerFanInCA
12-06-2007, 05:46 PM
We ALWAYS need a win. Plain and simple.

therocksteeler
12-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Just posted last night and wow the response! (thanks) After reading through comments everyone has posted I have come to realize a few facts.

Just Win!...........................WIN!

:tt02: :cheers: :jammin:

"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit." -- Vince Lombardi

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"Going in one more round when you don't think you can - that's what makes all the difference in your life." Rocky Balboa

SteelersJW
12-06-2007, 09:29 PM
The Steelers have 5 championships, the Patriots have 3. In that category, we are ahead of them by 2.

IF the Patriots go 16-0, they will be the only team to have ever done so.

The bottom line: We cannot allow this to happen. We MUST win on Sunday.