PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Polamalu misses practice

Atlanta Dan
12-06-2007, 04:33 PM
One day after returning to practice for the first time since missing two games, safety Troy Polamalu did not practice today and might not play in Sunday's Steelers game against the New England Patriots.

Polamalu, who has a sprained knee, would be replaced for the third game in a row by safety Tyrone Carter.

"We'll see where he is tomorrow," said Coach Mike Tomlin, who would not say if Polamalu's injury was a setback for the three-time Pro Bowl safety. "We'll list his [injury] status like we do every Friday."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07340/839757-66.stm

If Troy is not healthy, please sit him and get him healthy for the rest of the year

Counselor
12-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Agreed. As much as we'd like to win, its not a necessary win. Troy should sit if there is any doubt.

alittlejazzbird
12-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Agreed. As much as we'd like to win, its not a necessary win. Troy should sit if there is any doubt.

Agreed 100%. We'll need him more the next time we play the Patriots.

TheManOfSteel
12-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Agreed 100%. We'll need him more the next time we play the Patriots.

Again agree 100%!:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
12-06-2007, 04:55 PM
I recall Troy being brought back in December last year after he hurt his knee in the first Ravens game and being particularly ineffective in pass coverage - no need to put him out there Sunday if he is not at full strength.

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I recall Troy being brought back in December last year after he hurt his knee in the first Ravens game and being particularly ineffective in pass coverage - no need to put him out there Sunday if he is not at full strength.

Tyrone is doing fairly well to.

stillers4me
12-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Smokescreen?????

Infamix
12-06-2007, 05:25 PM

exactly, it will further worsen his injury and our coverage at the same time

Steelers
12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Smokescreen?????

That would be pretty badass. :tt02:

LVSteelersfan
12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Gee, I think I read that Brady is on the injury report because of a bad shoulder. Maybe Harrison should hit him and really put him on the injury list with a bad shoulder instead of that fake injury report that Billicheat puts out every week.

ExtonSteelFan
12-06-2007, 05:32 PM
I agree...we need troy healthy for the post season.

revefsreleets
12-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Smokescreen? Why not? What better team to do it against than the team that routinely lists 80% of their roster on the injured list every week?

klick81
12-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Sit him.

TackleMeBen
12-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Gee, I think I read that Brady is on the injury report because of a bad shoulder. Maybe Harrison should hit him and really put him on the injury list with a bad shoulder instead of that fake injury report that Billicheat puts out every week.

yes brady is always on the injury list. i agree harrison or foote should really put brady on the injury report with a real injury this time. maybe he could go spend more time with his new baby..lol...

steelpride12
12-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Yes its very important we sit him this week and let him heal instead of a season ending injury.
This might sound crazy, but i like Carters chances better in the pass coverage over Troy who has over played so many balls this year!

stlrtruck
12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Better to not have him now and have him in the playoffs than vice versa

HometownGal
12-06-2007, 07:49 PM

A$$ Chin has been on the injury report every week for the past two seasons with that supposed shoulder problem. I hope the Steelers knock him into the next week.

19ward86
12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
this is a big reason why porter was released. this guy is making tackles not getting tackled and he is an injury risk. this is the weakness of troy and it might be a downfall for him in pittsburgh. i know not everyone agrees but i have a feeling troy wont finish out his contract as a steeler.

PatsRule
12-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Is Polamalu Expected to Play ?

RoethlisBURGHer
12-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I don't think this is Troy's "downfall".

I would rather have Troy sit out this game and be healthy for the playoffs. We don't need this game to make the playoffs, we basicly have the division locked up now.

And it's not like Carter is played bad, he's playing really well.

HometownGal
12-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Is Polamalu Expected to Play ?

Does Brady have a sore shoulder? :wink02::flap:

moedap
12-06-2007, 11:42 PM
I dont like our chances with Carter starting. Its not because of his play its just that his height creates a serious mismatch. Brady is going to be going over the top to Moss a lot. Even if you swapped the safeties they are going over the top to Stallworth. Smith is going to have to play a very smart game. I hope Townsend is calling out the coverages.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-07-2007, 01:41 AM
I dont like our chances with Carter starting. Its not because of his play its just that his height creates a serious mismatch. Brady is going to be going over the top to Moss a lot. Even if you swapped the safeties they are going over the top to Stallworth. Smith is going to have to play a very smart game. I hope Townsend is calling out the coverages.

If Carter's height becomes a problem, I can see them putting McFadden in at saftey OR putting McFadden in at corner and shifting Townsend over to saftey.

Steel Pit
12-07-2007, 01:48 AM
Yes its very important we sit him this week and let him heal instead of a season ending injury.
This might sound crazy, but i like Carters chances better in the pass coverage over Troy who has over played so many balls this year!

I was thinking along the same lines. I haven't seen much out of Troy this year so this news isn't a BIG disappointment to me.

Atlanta Dan
12-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Apparently he injured it when someone rolled into him in practice and it swelled up - at least the swelling was not from regular running so who knows if he plays.

Safety Troy Polamalu, who developed swelling in his injured knee when a teammate rolled into him during Wednesday's practice, will have a run test this morning to see if he can practice and play in Sunday's game against the New England Patriots.

Even if Polamalu can't practice today, he will be tested again tomorrow and a game-time decision will be made on his condition.

Polamalu, a three-time Pro Bowl safety, has a sprain of the medial collateral ligament and posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee -- the same type of injury that sidelined receiver Hines Ward for three games earlier this season.

Polamalu has not played in the past two games. He was doing fine and was scheduled to return against the Patriots until his injury was aggravated two days ago, causing swelling.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07341/839989-66.stm

If Ward took 3 weeks to recover I say sit Troy Sunday to heal him up. Steelers need to win 3 of 4 to guarantee the #3 seed (big difference playing Jax or Browns/Titans in round #1) and it does not matter which 3.

Jman
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Tyrone is doing fairly well to.

:iagree:

Jman
12-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Smokescreen?????

Very interesting theory.........

:coffee:

HometownGal
12-07-2007, 09:52 AM
If Ward took 3 weeks to recover I say sit Troy Sunday to heal him up. Steelers need to win 3 of 4 to guarantee the #3 seed (big difference playing Jax or Browns/Titans in round #1) and it does not matter which 3.

I agree, Dan. If Troy's not 100%, sit him - better safe than sorry. I think Carter has played very well in his stead and will have his game on against the Pats as he has the past several weeks. :cheers:

AlleghenyArsenal
12-07-2007, 10:19 AM
The other thing is there are many people who would tell you the defense has actually been MORE effective without Troy. Whatever Tomlin and LeBeau have done with the d this year, it has taken something out of Troy's game. Let him sit and get healthy. I myself, am more concerened about Santonio, and whether our line can buck-up and play.:helmet:

HometownGal
12-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Update. Doesn't look too good that Troy will play against the Pats.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07341/839989-66.stm

Steelers' Polamalu unlikely to play Sunday
Friday, December 07, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Safety Troy Polamalu, who developed swelling in his injured knee when a teammate rolled into him during Wednesday's practice, did not practice today and likely will not play in Sunday's game against the New England Patriots.

Polamalu was given a run test this morning to determine if he would be able to practice, but there was no change in his condition and it appears he will be unable to play against the Patriots.

Polamalu, a three-time Pro Bowl safety, has a sprain of the medial collateral ligament and posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee --- the same type of injury that sidelined receiver Hines Ward for three games earlier this season.

Polamalu has not played in the past two games. He was doing fine and was scheduled to return against the Patriots until his injury was aggravated two days ago, causing swelling.

Meantime, outside linebacker James Harrison missed practice for personal reasons, but he is expected to rejoin the team tomorrow and play against the Patriots.

alittlejazzbird
12-07-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm gonna drink the Tomlin kool-aid here and say that injuries are no excuse. We're 3-0 without Troy, and as much as I love him and what he brings to the table, it really doesn't matter whether he plays or not. As Tomlin says, everyone who puts on a helmet is a playmaker. Sunday will go a long way toward showing us if the team really believes that.

alittlejazzbird
12-07-2007, 01:36 PM
This might actually be the worse news:

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, meanwhile, is hopeful that he can play in the 4:15 p.m. game.

Holmes, who has missed the last two games because of a high ankle sprain, practiced Thursday and today. He said, however, that he is still experiencing a lot of discomfort in his ankle.

Holmes said he was in a lot of pain Friday morning and almost didn't practice. But, he added, "You don't practice on Friday, you don't play. Right now they've got me penciled in (to play) but it's still a game-time decision."

coachspeak33
12-07-2007, 01:41 PM
It appears as if troy is going to model some of the latest fashion from reeboks "Duce Staley collection" sunday afternoon in Foxboro.....

Yeah that'll hurt a little bit....but I feel that our chances rest on Ben's ability to convert third downs.

IMO, that is where philly and the ratbirds went wrong...they couldnt keep brady on the sidelines long enuf.

tony hipchest
12-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah that'll hurt a little bit....but I feel that our chances rest on Ben's ability to convert third downs.

IMO, that is where philly and the ratbirds went wrong...they couldnt keep brady on the sidelines long enuf.

patriots have given up 5 td passes on 3rd downs in the past 2 weeks. kirwan is sure they have been correcting this (patriot coaches using an extra day and giving the players a day off) by reformulating a gameplan im sure they had in place for quite a while-

A.J. Feeley came into Foxboro and threw a pick six on the game's first third-down situation. After that he went 7 of 9 on third-down pass calls. The Patriots gave up 126 yards and three touchdowns on those seven completions. Bill Belichick will study how and why Feeley was so productive. If it's more man coverage or better disguises in the coverage, we should see the revised package shortly. Baltimore ran it three times and passed it eight times on third down. Outside of giving up a 53-yard bomb and a 4-yard touchdown pass to Baltimore, the Patriots have their third-down defense headed in the right direction.