PDA

View Full Version : Peter King Predicts Steelers Win

Atlanta Dan
12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Did not see this coming - I guess King talked to Anthony Smith

Five reasons: 1. A.J. Feeley and Kyle Boller have put up 52 points on the Patriots the last two weeks; Ben Roethlisberger won't make the kind of late-game mistakes those two backups did. 2. Brian Westbrook and Willis McGahee have rushed for 190 yards on the Pats the last two weeks. I'm not in love with Willie Parker's recent rushing numbers -- 52, 81 and 87 yards, against three straight sub-.500 teams -- but I think the Patriots will be vulnerable against a power running game. 3. Pats are tired after three straight night games, including the emotional Monday-nighter in frigid Baltimore. Bill Belichick didn't even practice them Wednesday, an incredible rarity with a Sunday game upcoming. 4. Hines Ward's will to win. The dude leads the league in it. 5. Just a gut feeling. The strain of going for perfection seems to be wearing on New England, while Pittsburgh is just bullyish enough not to fear the enormity of Sunday's stage.

Steelers 27, Patriots 20

http://www.fannation.com/peter_king_challenge/pickoff?bcnn=yes

rpv
12-06-2007, 05:40 PM
last week he predicted that the bungles would beat the steelers:smile:. I hope that his prediction does not go wrong this time

revefsreleets
12-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Peter King has become lazy and lackadaisical. That SI gig is just too easy. I trust nothing he says anymore.

Nevertheless, I like his analysis for this one:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Peter King has become lazy and lackadaisical. That SI gig is just too easy. I trust nothing he says anymore.

Nevertheless, I like his analysis for this one:tt02:

Agreed King is coasting (and minting money).

He does HBO and the NBC Sunday night studio show in addition to SI, which means he presumably does not even hit the road for games unless he goes across the river to the Meadowlands.

King's idea of reporting is watching the game on TV and calling players + coaches on their cell phones Sunday nights.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
God I hate when Peter picks us...lol He is a jinx.....lol

Stlrs4Life
12-06-2007, 06:54 PM
You can tell he doesn't travel, he's too fat. Never liked his predictions either.

alittlejazzbird
12-06-2007, 08:02 PM
You can tell he doesn't travel, he's too fat. Never liked his predictions either.

OK, I'm gonna stick up for Peter here. He lost almost 100 pounds a few years ago and has kept it off. He looks pretty average now in terms of his weight, and I'm sure he's much healthier.

Whether you like his work or not, he has overall been rather Steeler-friendly, and thinks Steeler fans are total nut jobs, but in a good way, if you know what I mean.

His Bengals prediction last week surprised me, and so did this week's. Let's hope he isn't wrong twice in a row.

SteelDogFan
12-06-2007, 08:13 PM
OK I am kind of growing tired of folks referring to the Steelers Ss having a power running game. Because we don't. as a matter of fact the past three games have not been that good at all.

The Steelers are a pass first to set up the run team now. Where as in the past we were a run first to set up the pass. I understand the fact that, that is what the Steelers have been in the past, but thats not the case now. Besides we don't even have a power back.

Unless Ben has a great game we may be in trouble. I do think Willie will have a decent game maybe over a hundred yards. But as soon as the offense lines up in the single back three receiver set and New England gets penetration and stops Willie for a few losses. Bruce will go straight to the pass and only use Willie to keep the Pats honest.

The Steelers have a good running game but it is no longer a power running game.

PatsRule
12-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Did not see this coming - I guess King talked to Anthony Smith

Five reasons: 1. A.J. Feeley and Kyle Boller have put up 52 points on the Patriots the last two weeks; Ben Roethlisberger won't make the kind of late-game mistakes those two backups did. 2. Brian Westbrook and Willis McGahee have rushed for 190 yards on the Pats the last two weeks. I'm not in love with Willie Parker's recent rushing numbers -- 52, 81 and 87 yards, against three straight sub-.500 teams -- but I think the Patriots will be vulnerable against a power running game. 3. Pats are tired after three straight night games, including the emotional Monday-nighter in frigid Baltimore. Bill Belichick didn't even practice them Wednesday, an incredible rarity with a Sunday game upcoming. 4. Hines Ward's will to win. The dude leads the league in it. 5. Just a gut feeling. The strain of going for perfection seems to be wearing on New England, while Pittsburgh is just bullyish enough not to fear the enormity of Sunday's stage.

Steelers 27, Patriots 20

http://www.fannation.com/peter_king_challenge/pickoff?bcnn=yes

Take your pick..

http://www.hbo.com/apps/inflpicksgame/hostpicks.do

revefsreleets
12-06-2007, 08:24 PM
OK, I'm gonna stick up for Peter here. He lost almost 100 pounds a few years ago and has kept it off. He looks pretty average now in terms of his weight, and I'm sure he's much healthier.

Whether you like his work or not, he has overall been rather Steeler-friendly, and thinks Steeler fans are total nut jobs, but in a good way, if you know what I mean.

His Bengals prediction last week surprised me, and so did this week's. Let's hope he isn't wrong twice in a row.

I was speaking figuratively, as in being the proverbial "fat cat", living off the fat of the land.

I've seen King make horribly inaccurate assessments of college talent based on hearsay and guesstimation. I was AT a pro day once and saw a college QB stand still and throw a ball almost 70 yards, then shockingly read a King article that said the kid could barely throw a ball 60 yards.

There was sharp guy who did his homework once. Now there's just a talking head with a lot of interns.

19ward86
12-06-2007, 08:54 PM
im tired of people talking so confidentally about us beating the patriots. if we dont win all steeler fans will look like asses including myself. i believe the steelers will win but i say we dont make any more post about us being a lock for this weekend. not to sound like a jerk but i dont want to sound like an ass either, and i support steelers fans nomatter what.

SteelersJW
12-06-2007, 10:27 PM
The guy gets paid a lot of money to predict games and give reasons why. His predicitons better than mine, and I'm glad to have it.

PatsRule
12-06-2007, 10:28 PM
The guy gets paid a lot of money to predict games and give reasons why. His predicitons better than mine, and I'm glad to have it.

He also picked you guys to maul the jets,what happened maybe he shoud give so money back...:flap:

Galax Steeler
12-07-2007, 04:53 AM

Agreed

geo123
12-07-2007, 06:19 AM
Like I already stated I don't like when everyone(except Pats fans) is picking us.

Let's think about it, statisticaly these teams match up very well on paper. It has all the makings of a great game. The thing is they don't play on paper; it comes down to who can execute better on that day; who has more heart, who is going to step up at the right time.

SCSTILLER
12-07-2007, 07:30 AM
I would rather have nobody pick us to win! I always liked the Steelers in the underdog role. I have a good feeling about this game, it is going to be a tough game, but I still have a good feeling about us winning it!

GeneralRobinson
12-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm done caring about people's predictions. Commentators that exhalt teams or players one week turn around and bash them the next.

clarient
12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
OK I am kind of growing tired of folks referring to the Steelers Ss having a power running game. Because we don't. as a matter of fact the past three games have not been that good at all.

The Steelers are a pass first to set up the run team now. Where as in the past we were a run first to set up the pass. I understand the fact that, that is what the Steelers have been in the past, but thats not the case now. Besides we don't even have a power back.

Unless Ben has a great game we may be in trouble. I do think Willie will have a decent game maybe over a hundred yards. But as soon as the offense lines up in the single back three receiver set and New England gets penetration and stops Willie for a few losses. Bruce will go straight to the pass and only use Willie to keep the Pats honest.

The Steelers have a good running game but it is no longer a power running game.

I agree with you totally here. I hear a lot of talk about our running game being so powerful and blah blah blah, but every time I get to watch a game, I don't really see it. I don't think we stand out that much in terms of running anymore. (And what good is a running game is Willie fumbles the ball every time!?!)

The Ravens were running right through the Patriots on Monday night - that was pretty awesome. McGahee was playing like a champ. If Willie pulls that off on Sunday I will be overjoyed.

PatsRule
12-09-2007, 07:42 PM
He was wrong

fansince'76
12-09-2007, 07:44 PM
He was wrong

Wow, no shit.

Crushzilla
12-09-2007, 08:27 PM
He was wrong

Not only have you added nothing substantial, you also can't figure out the difference between the Steelers and BF sections.

Peace!

:banned:

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Not only have you added nothing substantial, you also can't figure out the difference between the Steelers and BF sections.

Peace!

:banned:

HEY PATSRULE, DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YA WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YA!

Nice work Crush! :cheers:

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Give Peter King credit for not bailing out on the Steelers after yesterday's blowout.

King still has the Steelers as his #5 team in this morning's Monday Morning QB column and has these comments on Ben:

I know the Steelers lost, but Ben Roethlisberger's touchdown throw to Najeh Davenport was a thing of beauty. Big Ben stepped out of trouble in the pocket, waited for just the right moment for Davenport to shake his coverage, and laid a perfect rainbow into his arms in the end zone. A couple of years ago, I don't think Roethlisberger would have had the pocket presence to sidestep the pressure on the play, and I don't think he'd have thrown the ball with such beautiful touch.

I'll never forget Jon Miller, the NBC Sports VP who had a son at Miami of Ohio, telling me weekly how great Roethlisberger was during his Miami career, and me thinking, "Settle down, Jon. I went to school in the MAC, and we didn't exactly mint many great passers in the conference when I went to school at Ohio University.'' But he was absolutely right. And after Big Ben's struggles of the last year or so, he has proven he's a big-time player with an incredible future.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/09/week14/6.html

HometownGal
12-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Give Peter King credit for not bailing out on the Steelers after yesterday's blowout.

King still has the Steelers as his #5 team in this morning's Monday Morning QB column and has these comments on Ben:

I know the Steelers lost, but Ben Roethlisberger's touchdown throw to Najeh Davenport was a thing of beauty. Big Ben stepped out of trouble in the pocket, waited for just the right moment for Davenport to shake his coverage, and laid a perfect rainbow into his arms in the end zone. A couple of years ago, I don't think Roethlisberger would have had the pocket presence to sidestep the pressure on the play, and I don't think he'd have thrown the ball with such beautiful touch.

I'll never forget Jon Miller, the NBC Sports VP who had a son at Miami of Ohio, telling me weekly how great Roethlisberger was during his Miami career, and me thinking, "Settle down, Jon. I went to school in the MAC, and we didn't exactly mint many great passers in the conference when I went to school at Ohio University.'' But he was absolutely right. And after Big Ben's struggles of the last year or so, he has proven he's a big-time player with an incredible future.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/09/week14/6.html

Nice to read something positive this morning, Dan. Thanks. :cheers: