PDA

View Full Version : In spite of Smith's guarantee, Patriots focused on Steelers

PatsRule
12-06-2007, 08:17 PM
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots have their own guarantee: They'd never guarantee a victory like Pittsburgh's Anthony Smith did.

Some of them can't even guarantee they'd recognize him.

"I know Aaron Smith," Patriots defensive end Ty Warren said Thursday. "I don't know Anthony Smith."

Aaron Smith is in his ninth season with the Steelers, a standout defensive end who made the 2005 Pro Bowl and will be pressuring Tom Brady on Sunday when the NFL's best team meets the league's top-rated defense.

Anthony Smith is a free safety in his second pro season and starting only because Ryan Clark's season ended in late October with an inflamed spleen that was removed last month.

"I didn't know who he was until we started preparing for them," Brady said.

Some background:

Smith is a third-round draft choice from Syracuse. He started four of the 16 games he played last season and had two interceptions. This year he's started the last six games, has one interception and is sixth on the Steelers in tackles.

He's also the guy who may be too sure of himself.

"We're going to win," he said Wednesday. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win. As long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win."

Any Patriots player who said that would be guaranteed one thing: sharp tongue-lashings from his teammates and coach Bill Belichick.

"Well done is better than well said," Brady said. "That's been the motto of the team."

"That wouldn't happen in this locker room. It just wouldn't," Junior Seau said. "We won't allow it. We don't talk. What we try to do is just work every day and build for tomorrow. That's all we do."

Belichick knows teams could use such pronouncements as bulletin-board material to provide extra motivation. But he suggested that wasn't part of his pregame plan.

"We can sit around and put a bunch of stuff up on a board and write stuff down on paper and all of that," he said. "I think in the end it comes down to whether you can outplay the other team on Sunday or not outplay them. On a priority basis, that's what our priority is, trying to prepare well and play well."

As usual, his attitude was the players' attitude. They reacted calmly to Smith's remarks.

"I don't think that prediction's going to have much bearing on the outcome," linebacker Mike Vrabel said.

Running back Heath Evans: "I don't see why anyone's comments outside of our head coaches and our position coaches should affect how we do things."

Smith, though, has reason to be confident. The Steelers (9-3) have allowed the fewest points and fewest yards of any NFL team. The Patriots (12-0) are coming off a pair of three-point wins that came down to the final minutes.

Then Smith made his guarantee.

"I agree with it," Evans said. "If we don't get better, they're going to beat us."

The Patriots have used opponents' remarks to motivate themselves in the past.

Before the 2005 Super Bowl, Philadelphia wide receiver Freddie Mitchell said he knew only the numbers, not the names, of New England's cornerbacks.

"If he doesn't [know the names], he will," Patriots tight end Christian Fauria responded.

The Patriots beat the Eagles 24-21.

Before New England's first playoff game that season, Indianapolis kicker Mike Vanderjagt said of the Patriots, "I think they're ripe for the picking."

At the time, Belichick was asked if he had ever used such remarks to motivate his players.

"Yeah, probably I have," he said before the 20-3 win over the Colts.

Now an opponent has spoken again.

Kyle Brady remembers when he was playing for Penn State and an Illinois player guaranteed a win if his team scored 28 points.

"He was basically guaranteeing that their defense would hold our offense under 28," the tight end said. "They weren't able to do it. We beat them 35-31."

So maybe a guarantee guarantees just one thing: that it will fire up an opponent.

"Does it play a factor in the game? Perhaps it could," said Patriots linebacker Chad Brown, Smith's teammate in Pittsburgh last season. "If someone is confident enough to make a guarantee, maybe you should be a little concerned."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Edman
12-06-2007, 08:42 PM
If you're posting this to get a rise or scare Steeler fans, it won't work.

19ward86
12-06-2007, 09:03 PM
they dont talk?? yeah right. you know they talk smack, if they dont now foote and farrior always wind up getting others to talk smack anyway, that is what porter did last season.

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2007, 09:20 PM
they dont talk?? yeah right. you know they talk smack, if they dont now foote and farrior always wind up getting others to talk smack anyway, that is what porter did last season.

He was good at it to. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
:yap::yap::blah:

"That wouldn't happen in this locker room. It just wouldn't," Junior Seau said. "We won't allow it. We don't talk. What we try to do is just work every day and build for tomorrow. That's all we do.......well, except for videotaping our opponents' defensive signals. Sorry I forgot to mention that."

Atlanta Dan
12-06-2007, 09:28 PM
They don't talk?

I guess when Billick was blowing kisses to Rodney Harrison during the game Monday night it was because HGH Harrison had sent season's greetings.

It is too bad Smith has given those jerks the moral high ground this week.

SalukiSteelers
12-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Good read, though. I really wish Smith wouldn't have opened his mouth. He's better off just focusing on his job. He better make a positive impact in a win because if he gets burned or plays poorly or the defense gets lit and the Steelers drop this one, he's going to look like a world-class horse's rear end.

Galax Steeler
12-07-2007, 05:01 AM
I just hope smith can back up what he is saying and burry mosses head in the frozen tundra.

jdsdaguy
12-07-2007, 05:16 AM
i guess we will get the best from the pats. isn't that what we wanted?

geo123
12-07-2007, 05:56 AM
I think most of us would rather he hadn't made the comment; it's too late for that now though. There's only two things we can do now, thats down play it or back him up.
I'm not sure if his comments were to motivate him, the team, or is this his 15 min. of fame.

Borski
12-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Look for Brady to attempt to pick on Smith right off the bat, this gives Smith the first chance to show us if we is willing to back his own words up.

Davison_K
12-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I hope Brady does pick on Smith. I am ready to see whether this 3rd round draft pick is going to start next season. I hope he gets a pick AND lays Moss out. I just wish he would have kept his mouth shut. Idiot.

Jman
12-07-2007, 09:50 AM
How interesting a Pats fan would post this. As for Seau...Really? Your team has never made a trash-talking comment against an opponent? Never? ...

:coffee:

Well, if Seau thinks the Pats never talk trash, maybe he thinks ball carriers don't get tackled? I don't know... seems like Jr. is out of reality...

AlleghenyArsenal
12-07-2007, 10:14 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jjpro11
12-07-2007, 11:04 AM
seau's a ****in idiot.. "we dont do that around here.. we dont allow it".. was it james farrior, hines ward, troy polamalu, or ben roethlisberger that piped up and made the prediction?? no. it was a young guy shooting his mouth off in front of cameras, much to the chagrin of the vets on the team. i hate that that son of a bitch is trying to act like his cheating team has more class. its not our fault the stars on the pats defense are old or on their way out for free agency.

Counselor
12-07-2007, 11:24 AM
What's really ironic about this article?

It makes the pats that look more arrogant than the kid guaranteeing the win.

Dino 6 Rings
12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Look for Smith to hit Moss so hard that Chad Johnson's teeth get knocked out.

Look for Harrison to drive Brady so crazy, he rolls the wrong way into the waiting knock out shot from Farrior.

Look for Maroney to get 50 yards rushing.

Look for Parker to have about 124 yards rushing with 1 Td.

Look for Big Ben to go about 23 of 29, with 2 Tds.

Look for a Pick SIX from Taylor.

Look for a Beat Down of the "greatest team" ever as the Greatest Franchise Ever comes to town to deliver a Violent Message.

geo123
12-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Thats pretty much what we'll need to do to win!

revefsreleets
12-07-2007, 02:14 PM
What's REALLY ironic about this article?

Smith made no guarantee. All he said was that if the Steelers play their game, they'll win. If I say "If my car doesn't break down, it'll drive for 250,000 miles" I'm not guaranteeing that my car will drive to 250,000 miles. It's a huge difference.

This is all media garbage, making mountains out of molehills, and the fans are buying it hook, line and sinker.

Counselor
12-07-2007, 02:31 PM
What's REALLY ironic about this article?

Smith made no guarantee. All he said was that if the Steelers play their game, they'll win. If I say "If my car doesn't break down, it'll drive for 250,000 miles" I'm not guaranteeing that my car will drive to 250,000 miles. It's a huge difference.

This is all media garbage, making mountains out of molehills, and the fans are buying it hook, line and sinker.

Very true.

fansince'76
12-07-2007, 02:59 PM

Yep.

"I don't think that prediction's going to have much bearing on the outcome," linebacker Mike Vrabel said.

I guess this can be construed as Vrabel saying that the Pats have already got this game in the bag too? Rubbish.

IDSteeler
12-07-2007, 03:04 PM
I like Smiths hard hitting play, but his big mouth and stupid penalties on the field have got to stop. One of our vets needs to take this pup under his wing and "learn" him a thing or two. I hate the Pats and we are going to beat them, but you don't guarantee a victory against an undefeated team.

steel striker
12-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I still don't know why Smith had to say this but, what is done is done. It is time to move and get ready for the game. We all know that Smith is a big time hitter so let's hope he knocks Moss & Welker's blocks off. I still like our chances and, if we can maintain pressure on Pretty boy and don't turn the ball over we will be fine. This could be Willie's big game that we have been waiting for.

Snerdly
12-07-2007, 11:11 PM
I still don't know why Smith had to say this but, what is done is done.

I bet that was the Eagles sentiment when Freddie Mitchell ran his chowtrap.

What is it with 2nd stringers talkin' out their azzes anyway? It seems to be a recurrent theme in todays game. Where are the veterans to "counsel" these chirping n00bs?

tony hipchest
12-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Where are the veterans to "counsel" these chirping n00bs?

*sigh*

i guess theyre ALL on the patriots. whatever will the rest of the league do when the patriots have a monopoly on veteran "counciling"?

:blah::rolleyes: :coffee:

maybe the chirping noobs will have something a little louder to say. maybe randy moss will be played a little harder than his stoner, quitter cousin ricky williams.

who knows?

Snerdly
12-08-2007, 12:24 AM
*sigh*

i guess theyre ALL on the patriots. whatever will the rest of the league do when the patriots have a monopoly on veteran "counciling"?

Ohh freakin stop it!
You've got your slew of vets on that team. Don't give me that crap.

Shyt like this should never leave the weight room.
All this pregame prattling is the result of dumb youngins with a mike in their face.

Do your peakock struts on the field, Junior.

tony hipchest
12-08-2007, 12:44 AM

however, in the land of reality, shit like this does leave the weightroom and follows the team onto the field. why do you think the patriots got a whole day off to read all the clippings that are surely posted in their locker room?

thats right. because it takes the patriot players a whole day to read 4 newspaper articles. :coffee:

Atlanta Dan
12-08-2007, 04:40 PM
You may recall this sanctimony from the Pats in response to Smith's guarantee:

"That wouldn't happen in this locker room. It just wouldn't," Junior Seau said. "We won't allow it. We don't talk. What we try to do is just work every day and build for tomorrow."

So much for that nonsense:

Lost amid the $70,000 in fines levied against four Ravens players for their actions and comments during and after the Monday night loss to the Patriots -- including a fine of $25,000 for linebacker Bart Scott, who drew two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, and heaved an official's penalty flag into the stands -- was a fine of $5,000 levied against Rodney Harrison.

The 14-year veteran was cited by the NFL for taunting the Ravens following a fourth-quarter interception by Patriots free safety James Sanders on a deep pass by Kyle Boller that quashed a Baltimore scoring drive.

On Sanders' return to near-midfield, Harrison was blocking. When the play ended, he was near the Ravens sideline. Television cameras did not show Harrison saying anything, but they did catch the reaction from Billick, who sarcastically blew three kisses in the direction of the safety.

The replay of Billick was shown repeatedly in the days following the game.

"He said a few things about me, Kyle [Boller], and my team and I just want him to know first, we love you Rodney, and secondly you can kiss my back side," Billick said. "But, I don't take offense to what Rodney did and I hope he doesn't misinterpret my gestures, because he's not that good-looking a guy."

One of the most heavily sanctioned players in recent league history, Harrison has been fined more than a quarter-million dollars in his career. He also forfeited $470,588 of his $2 million base salary this season when he was suspended for the first four games of the year for a violation of the league's steroid and related-substances policy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3146636

jjpro11
12-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Ohh freakin stop it!
You've got your slew of vets on that team. Don't give me that crap.

All this pregame prattling is the result of dumb youngins with a mike in their face.

Do your peakock struts on the field, Junior.

you have the biggest scumbag in the league on your team.. a loud mouth, steroid using, cheap shot artist.

patsdynasty
12-09-2007, 10:20 AM
He played four years at Syracuse. While he was there the team posted records of:
4-8
6-6
6-6
1-10

He also missed the Steelers Superbowl team and rode the bench in 06 while the Steelers went 8-8.

Basically, this is the the first time this guy has been on a winning team since high school. Yet he is promising a win. I bet he felt the same way before he lost each one of his 30 out of 47 college games too. What the hell does he know about winning?! Win something before you start talkin smack about three time Super Bowl Champs.

What a punk.

ShutDown24
12-09-2007, 10:26 AM
He may not have a past record of winning, but now he belongs with the Steelers. The class of the NFL - he can say whatever he wants. DO fans and teammates like it? No but who cares. Plus, he hits harder than anyone the Patriots have lmao... He might be the hardest hitter in the league at the moment actually.

fansince'76
12-09-2007, 10:29 AM
If he's such a "loser," why the hell are you so worried about what he says? :coffee:

The Duke
12-09-2007, 10:33 AM
yeah, like college records matter, especially for a safety :coffee:

And he was still in college during the super bowl season, it's not his fault, but I guess that's just the way you pats fan make each other laugh.

After today let's see if Randy Moss thinks Smith is a loser, my bet is he won't, and he'll have a couple of bruises to prove it, just like CJ, and TJ, and chris henry.......

He runs his mouth a little bit yeah, but I wanna see you calling him a loser after the steelers win and anthony has a career day against those pats

ShutDown24
12-09-2007, 10:33 AM
If he's such a "loser," why the hell are you so worried about what he says? :coffee:

He is obviously worried about tonight’s game so he is attacking one of our new players who have yet to accomplish much. Most of the Steeler fans here don't mind talking about the game and admitting they are worried because we have nothing to lose tonight. The Patriots are a great team who we have a great chance to beat but if we don't it won't be a huge disappointment. This guy on the other hand sees us a threat to the perfect season and is frightened to actually talk about the game itself therefore he is attacking a players past taking the attention off tonight.

Lol - You can thank my 11th grade Faulkner - Beitzel introduction to psychology class for that one.

patsdynasty
12-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I just find it ironic that a guy that hasn't been part of a winning team since high school is guaranteeing a win.

I don't think anybody would have had a problem with it if it had come from Hines Ward or somebody that actually acomplished something in this league. Anthony Smith hasn't done one damn thing in the NFL yet. Maybe he will, maybe he wont. But until he does, he just comes across as a fool. Nobody cares what some 2nd year bench warmer has to say about anything.

Oh, and there's a reason it didn't come from Ward. He actually has class.

ShutDown24
12-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Smith doing nothing in college is irrelevant. College and the pros are two different leagues. Look at Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, McNown, Rick Mirer, The Boz, etc... All great college players, sucked and lost in the pros. Smith is now on one of the best teams in the league at the moment and the undisputed best historically. If he wasn't a winner before he is now. Tom Brady backed up Brian Greise most of his career at Michigan... Get the picture? (Of course, that was before he knew what plays the defense was running lmao)

MasterOfPuppets
12-09-2007, 10:51 AM
http://http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/452/tooofunny10870co0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

HometownGal
12-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Pats - come on. There are multiple threads on this in the Steelers forum. I'm going to combine this thread with one of the others. Sheesh people. :dang::banging:

All I can say, though, is I kind of feel sorry for the Pats receivers today when Anthony rushes 'em to the turf.

stillers4me
12-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Your're right .........Anthony Smith is a punk. Our vets would never make a piblic statement like that. The Steelers a full a class acts and Mr. Smith needs to take a few notes........but he is what he is. And as far as not doing anything in college.......let's talk about Heisman trophy winners and the teams they are playing for today.....hmmmmmmmmm? And then lets talk about Willie Parker and James Harrison......both non drafted, and both racking up the stats.

Anthony Smith wears the black and gold and backs up his mouth with some of the hardest hits I've seen in a long time. Ask the Bengals WR corp.....they were quite skittish out there last week and one of the main reasons is that 've all made the jacked up replay more than once by Anthony Smith. And Troy Polamalu was quite the gentleman to hand back Ocho's gold toof's after Anthony knocked them right out of his overinflated head. (I'dve shoved them where the sun don't shine)

Who's Anthony Smith? Ask Ocho Stinko.