PDA

View Full Version : LimeySteeler

sherlock
12-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Hello All,
I`m a VERY new convert to the NFL!.
At the age of 44 I have fallen out of love with soccer( I will have to get used to calling it that) and have found myself increasingly interested in the NFL.
This interest has developed into something of an obsession,albeit a very confused obsession!
Apart from trying to understand the rules and many complexities of the game I wanted to choose a team to follow.
I chose the Steelers because of a video I saw on youtube..to post links on this forum you need to have a post count of 25 but the video is called "Pittsburgh Steelers Fight Song" and was posted by jskolits .

Many of you guys are probably aware of this vid but I just thought it was a beautiful,beautiful thing.I have since become aware of other Steelers songs,all of which knock me out.
You could say I became a Steelers fan because of the fans!
I`m (very) slowly getting to understand the history and passion of the Steelers and the NFL in general and look forward to immersing myself in the Steeler Nation.
All the best and good luck for the comming Patriots game!!!

nojobny
12-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Welcome Sherlock. :cheer: It's always great to have new Steelers fans.

i posted the video for you as a welcome gift. :tt02:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OZx3ZH7GUtE

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Welcome.

HometownGal
12-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Hiya Sherlock and welcome to the #1 Steelers fan site anywhere! :smile::tt02::wave:

Blonde Bomber
12-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey Sherlock!!! Welcome aboard, you picked the right team to follow!!!! As long as you are looking at youtube, you can watch the Steelers Super Bowl games on there too. This guy has them all on there, and Championship games. Those will give you some history!!! WIICTVFAN

Moonlite37
12-07-2007, 10:21 AM
All hail to you Steeler Fan!

Jman
12-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Welcome :)

sherlock
12-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome!:cheers:
I have a question..could someone tell me what the Steelers badge represents?
Please excuse my ignorance but I guess this is the place to ask for all things Steelers.
Also, do you know of any radio stations who will broadcast the Pats game over the internet?

SteelersMongol
12-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Welcome and enjoy.

fansince'76
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Welcome to the board, sherlock! :cheers:

If you have any questions or concerns about the site, please feel free to PM (Private Message) myself, HometownGal, or Crushzilla. Post often and have fun!

steelpride12
12-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Welcome and Enjoy!!! :)

sherlock
12-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Thank you everyone for your open arms:thumbsup::hug:
I`ve just bought my very first Steelers shirt!!.....I didn`t hold out much hope, living as I do near Norwich in the east of England but I managed to find one.The shop only had the one shirt(43 Polamalu) ...one of those magical moments you get in life now and again!
I really do think that the Steelers are going to end the Pats unbeaten run..I know so little about American football but from what I`ve seen the Steelers have that something about them..I can`t explain and I better shut up before my complete ignorance comes shining through..Ha!!
It`s gonna be a Hines Field on Sunday.:wave:

geo123
12-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Welcome and enjoy!

In 1962, Republic Steel of Cleveland approached the Steelers and suggested that they consider the Steelmark, the insignia used by the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI), as a helmet logo to honor Pittsburgh's steel heritage. The Steelmark logo, a circle enclosing three hypocycloids (diamonds with inward-curving edges) and the word STEEL, was created by U.S. Steel Corp. (now known as USX Corp.) to educate consumers about the importance of steel in their daily lives. The colors were chosen to promote the attributes for steel: yellow lightens your work; orange brightens your leisure; and blue widens your world. The logo's meaning was later amended to represent the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal; orange for iron ore; and blue for steel scrap.

The Steelers liked the idea presented by Republic Steel, despite the fact that the company was located in the city of their bitterest rival, the Cleveland Browns, and proudly sported the new logo on their helmets for the 1962 season. After qualifying that year for their first-ever postseason game, they changed the color of their helmets from gold to solid black, which also served to highlight the new logo they felt had brought them good luck.

The new Steelmark logo was originally only applied to one side of the helmet (the right side) by equipment manager Jack Hart because the Steelers were uncertain how it would look on their solid gold helmets. Even when they later switched their helmet color to solid black, they decided to permanently retain the logo on just the one side due to the team's new success and the interest generated by the logo's uniqueness. The Steelers are now the only team in the NFL to sport its logo on only one side of the helmet.

One last change occurred to the logo in 1963 when the Steelers petitioned the AISI to allow them to change the word 'Steel' inside the Steelmark to 'Steelers.' The Steelers later added the gold stripe and player numbers and changed the face masks from grey to black, but otherwise the helmet has remained virtually unchanged since 1963.

The interest generated by having the logo on only one side of their helmets along with the team’s new success (they were 9-5 after many years of losing seasons), the Steelers decided to leave the helmet that way permanently. The Steelers logo hasn't changed since, fitting for a football team that values consistency and tradition

sherlock
12-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Thank you so much for this geo123!!. ....I`m now that little bit less ignorant regarding all things Steelers.
I was somewhat intimidated by joining this forum,being such a new convert to the NFL,and with all you guys being so knowledgeable but you`ve all made me feel so welcome.
This is a rather embarassing admission but until a month ago I had no idea of the Steelers illustrious past,I`d obviously heard of them as I had most of the NFL teams but until recently I have always been a soccer man.
I became a Steelers fan purely because of what the fans had posted on youtube but little by little I`m starting to understand the history and passion of the Steelers and the NFL.
Thanks once again everyone.

Crushzilla
12-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the SteelersFever family, sherlock.

Be sure to read the "Laws of the Land" and feel free to contact any member of the Moderation crew with any questions you may have.

geo123
12-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Glad to have you on board. I'm sure you'll enjoy the site and being a fan as well.

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Welcome to Steelers Fever.

sherlock
12-16-2007, 02:06 AM
You need a post count of 50 to send pm`s so I hope it`s ok to answer them here....
Counselor : Thank you for your warm welcome.I`ve been knocked out by the friendliness of Steelers fans on this forum.
You said" If you have questions about football or anything else, don't hesitate to ask---this is a great board with lots of knowledgeable people. "...big mistake... you won`t believe how many questions I have!!!
geo123 : Why the Steelers?..If you look in the "Photos from My Trip to Pittsburgh" thread I gave this explanation ( it was off-topic and I apologize!).
sorry for the delay in answering but work takes over sometimes.

SteelerFanInCA
12-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Welcome to SF. :tt02::tt02::tt02:

sherlock
12-18-2007, 03:09 AM
Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone! :hug:
Yesterday I took delivery of a Steelers hooded fleece and a long-sleeved t-shirt only 10 days after ordering them!
Big thanks to to the official Steelers shop and the US Postal Service....a purchase like this in the UK usually takes between 3-4 weeks!
Pardon my French but I have to say I look as cool as f**k in the hoody!! :jammin: