PDA

View Full Version : Keys to Steeler Victory?

coachspeak33
12-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Something that i noticed right away as i watched the balt-NE game....Balt took Welker right out of the game by jamming him at the line of scrimmage...With troy apparently out who do you think will fill that role? Mcffadden??? Deshea????

Also, Lebeau has a tendency to play his corners way off the LOS....after what we saw last Monday night, there is no way we give Welker freedom to run his routes....Is there???

If we follow the "blueprint" showed to us by balt and jam Welker early in routes....we might be able to contain him with just one defender.....this would allow ample over the top help for Mr Moss

We gotta get pressure on Brady!!!!!

Man i cant wait for this game

tony hipchest
12-07-2007, 01:06 PM
townsend was praised by tomlin for all the 1 on 1 work he did on houshmandzadeh. im pretty sure deshea can handle welker.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Deshea will be covering either Welker or Stallworth. The reciever he doesn't cover will probally have McFadden shutting him down.

stlrtruck
12-07-2007, 01:29 PM
The problem is that NE likes to run the WR screen more than any other team and with our DBs playing 10 yards of the LOS, it could pose a potential problem for our defense.

I think we definitely need to jam the receivers at the line and play smaller cushions. Then we'd have to go man up on the WRs and let our blitz go all out on Brady - otherwise it could be a very long game.

19ward86
12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
ike and anthony on moss
deshea on welker
mcfadden on stallworth

these are obvious matchups, our questions are who will cover gaffney, or washington, or even watson. we need to play press coverage against them just like how we did vs. cincy. i noticed on 3rd down the corners were playing press against housh and chad and stayed off of henry.

Steel_Bus_24
12-07-2007, 02:28 PM
One has to be Farrior and Foote not letting Watson and Faulk carve them up over the middle. They are going to have to play lights out on those SOBs

Dallas Cowboys Fan
12-07-2007, 02:44 PM
A worry here:

Both the Eagles and Ravens didn't have much to lose, so they just threw the kitchen sink at the Pats and played their hearts out, nearly winning. The problem is, the Steelers are 9-3, and would a winning team want to be more cautious and conservative, not having the recklessness? That might be bad against the Pats.

Pittsburgh has the goods to do it. Chew up the clock with the running game, sack and harass Brady all day, and your chances are good then.

jjpro11
12-07-2007, 02:49 PM
deshea has been playing out of his mind this year. he's doing as good a shut down job on his side of the field as taylor's doing on his side. the only time deshea run into problems is against taller receivers. he can run stride for stride with about any receiver, but those friggin jump balls are his only problem.

Hines0wnz
12-07-2007, 02:51 PM
A worry here:

Both the Eagles and Ravens didn't have much to lose, so they just threw the kitchen sink at the Pats and played their hearts out, nearly winning. The problem is, the Steelers are 9-3, and would a winning team want to be more cautious and conservative, not having the recklessness? That might be bad against the Pats.

Pittsburgh has the goods to do it. Chew up the clock with the running game, sack and harass Brady all day, and your chances are good then.

They dont have the talent to match the Patsies but the Steelers do.

Hines0wnz
12-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah........No turnovers and make first downs in the 4th qtr.

revefsreleets
12-07-2007, 06:02 PM
I said this elsewhere, but want to add it here. If LeBeau has the DB's off the line, they will be trying to force the Pats into small ball, a short passing game. The idea is to protect against quick strike long passes. Don't be shocked if it happens. I trust that he knows better than us how the Steelers personnel matches up with the Pats.

Dallas Cowboys Fan
12-07-2007, 06:47 PM
They dont have the talent to match the Patsies but the Steelers do.

Well, the Colts have quite the talent the Steelers do and they lost to the Pats, too.

The Ravens were winning until the last few minutes when they went all "cautious and conservative" and that probably led to New England getting the go-ahead TD and the win. I think it may be a problem of mentality. If Pittsburgh plays aggressive + better talent than the Ravens, there's good hope to think that New England will no longer be talking 16-0.

Hines0wnz
12-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, the Colts have quite the talent the Steelers do and they lost to the Pats, too.

The Ravens were winning until the last few minutes when they went all "cautious and conservative" and that probably led to New England getting the go-ahead TD and the win. I think it may be a problem of mentality. If Pittsburgh plays aggressive + better talent than the Ravens, there's good hope to think that New England will no longer be talking 16-0.

They didnt have Harrison. When you dont have your #1 WR that makes up one of the best QB/WR tandems in the history of the NFL it makes it difficult to bring your A game. They played a strong game but Harrison was missed and it was obvious. Manning's feel with the other receivers just wasnt up to speed during that game.

SteelersJW
12-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Key to the game: AGRESSIVENESS

ChronoCross
12-08-2007, 10:22 AM
1. Win TIme of Position battle and keep brady off the field.
2. Pressure Brady
3. Exploit there weakness over the middle with 10 to 15 yard passes and up the gut runs
4. Smack Moss in the mouth right off the line
5. Deshea covers welker
6. Most important play mistake free and discipline ball for 60 mins on offense and defense.
7. Stick to the game plan if its working. Do not be like the ravens and the eagles who got away from what was working for them all game.

Dallas Cowboys Fan
12-08-2007, 12:24 PM
4. Smack Moss in the mouth right off the line

Moss is a finesse WR and doesn't handle physical stuff as well as say, Terrell Owens or Hines Ward, if you smash him hard several times he will start running his routes less effectively.

7. Stick to the game plan if its working. Do not be like the ravens and the eagles who got away from what was working for them all game.

True, the Ravens had a good thing going but backed off in the last few minutes, playing it cautious and conservative. On that last Patriots drive, Brady had all day because there were only (3?) Ravens up front rushing him.

In the last 5 minutes, the Steelers need to keep playing the same way they did, say, in the first 5 minutes.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Key to victory is simple.......If the Steelers have the lead late in the game then they must finish the job....The last two weeks both the Eagles and Ravens didn't finish the job.......Late INTs by both Feeley and Boller let the Pats off the hook.....

steelpride12
12-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I thinks its going to be important to play bump and run on all there receivers tom. most def. if we blitz so Tom has not time to throw and we can get to him.
The bad thing about that is if we don't get to him with a blitz on bump and run there recievers all have a chance of getting open for a huge gain most def. the speed of Stallworth and Welker and a pain!

fansince'76
12-08-2007, 12:50 PM
True, the Ravens had a good thing going but backed off in the last few minutes, playing it cautious and conservative. On that last Patriots drive, Brady had all day because there were only (3?) Ravens up front rushing him.

Yep, I made the same point during the game myself:

Why did the Ratbirds stop with the pressure? :dang:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=333298#post333298

tony hipchest
12-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I said this elsewhere, but want to add it here. If LeBeau has the DB's off the line, they will be trying to force the Pats into small ball, a short passing game. The idea is to protect against quick strike long passes. Don't be shocked if it happens. I trust that he knows better than us how the Steelers personnel matches up with the Pats.for real.

lebeau took alot of heat for forcing the seahawks into small ball in the superbowl, despite practically shutting down the leagues top 4 offenses and passing games, led by 4 pro bowl quarterbacks, on the road.

i really dont wanna "force" the patriots to play dink and dunk ball though. i think thats what theyd prefer. one thing i noticed in pats vs eagles (and even with ben the following weekend) is alot of routes across the middle where the ball was intentionally thrown low and away (minimize risk of int) and the receiver was just asked to slide and catch the ball and not look for yac (minimize getting jacked up and fumble).

we usually look at giving up the quick and short passing routes as the lesser of 2 evils assuming the qb will eventually make a mistake, or get sacked. without pressure (or the threat of), brady wont make a mistake even with 8 dropped in coverage. lebeau won and lost against the pats in his 1st year back with the steelers, and had a great gameplan against them in the sb year. i bet hes had some tricks up his sleeve saved and worked on with the arrival of tomlin.

im just bummed we wont get to see troy blitz brady, or hammer faulk.

wadester47
12-08-2007, 02:03 PM
big third downs, hang on to the ball , and maybe get a call or two- oh receive some turnovers!!!!!!!!!!1

rhodeislandpatsfan
12-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Something that i noticed right away as i watched the balt-NE game....Balt took Welker right out of the game by jamming him at the line of scrimmage...With troy apparently out who do you think will fill that role? Mcffadden??? Deshea????

Also, Lebeau has a tendency to play his corners way off the LOS....after what we saw last Monday night, there is no way we give Welker freedom to run his routes....Is there???

If we follow the "blueprint" showed to us by balt and jam Welker early in routes....we might be able to contain him with just one defender.....this would allow ample over the top help for Mr Moss

We gotta get pressure on Brady!!!!!

Man i cant wait for this gamePlease follow the "blueprint" for two reasons. First the blueprint led to a Loss
secondly, Do all Steeler fans believe that Belichick wasn't watching monday and he didn't get a copy of the game!
My guess is that the best football coach of this era has broken everthing down and has made the appropriate adjustments

geo123
12-08-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm sure he has; it s up to our guys to come up with some new strategies as well!