PDA

View Full Version : An interesting Roethlisberger/Brady observation.

itscodyxx
12-08-2007, 02:56 PM
In comparing Brady's first four years to Roethlisberger's first four years. I have drawn some interesting observations:

1. In the 52 games that Roethlisberger has started so far in his short NFL career, he has an astounding record of 38-13. Tom Brady has exceeded this record with a 41-11 record in the first 52 games that he had started in. It must be noted that it is of my strongest belief that Roethlisberger's wins would have been have been more copious in the previous season if he had not have experienced the horrid motorcycle accident that had unfortunately dawned upon him.

2. Roethlisberger's first and second season statistics outweigh Brady's in the fields of both completion percentage and quarterback rating. Also, he is at least ten points ahead of Brady in terms of quarterback rating in his 4th year compared to Brady's 4th year statistically.

3. Most of us have observed Brady's performance when pressured greatly. We have also seen Roethlisberger's performance when deeply pressured. In my opinion, Roethlisberger has exhibited exceptional performance when being pressured.

4. In Brady's first season of play he compiled an 11-3 record as a starter while impressive, we must also view Roethlisberger's first season not only as a starter but as a rookie in this league. He compiled a record of 13-0 as a starter in what was the greatest rookie season a quarterback has ever played in. Roethlisberger outmatched Brady in both rating and completion percentage as well as coming within 200 yards of eclipsing his first season total. Brady was named to the Pro Bowl in 2001. Roethlisberger was not. One must also note Vince Young's statistically atrocious season last year as a rookie. He was elected to attend the Pro Bowl.

5. In viewing these comparisons, I have found something interesting. ESPN listed Ben Roethlisberger on their "Odd Men Out" list for future Cantonization. However, Brady was listed as number 2 (I think) for the top 50 players most likely to make the NFL Hall of Fame.

Roethlisberger is only 25 years old, and he probably has not even reached the pinnacle of his career. He has come extremely close in matching Brady's 52 game record which again I believe he would have outmatched if not experiencing the injury he faced. Call me insane, but I believe that in the future, Roethlisberger will outmatch Brady's winning percentage and will match his number of Super Bowl rings by the end of his NFL career.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Big Ben has the talent to be one of the greats....The sky is the limit for him.......

OX1947
12-08-2007, 03:34 PM
"Brady was named to the Pro Bowl in 2001. Roethlisberger was not. One must also note Vince Young's statistically atrocious season last year as a rookie."

Big Ben was invited to play in the pro bowl after the Super Bowl in 2006 but did not take the offer do to the ESPYs and other commitments he made post super bowl win.

HometownGal
12-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Big Ben has the talent to be one of the greats....The sky is the limit for him.......

Yes he does. Absolutely. :thumbsup:

Good comparisons and post, cody. :cheers:

Mosca
12-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Objectively speaking, both men had astonishingly good beginnings to their careers. You don't have to like either one of them to appreciate that.

The biggest knock on Roethlisberger at Brady's expense is his performance in the '06 Superbowl. Brady's reputation is that he comes up biggest in the biggest games; pressure makes him better. Roethlisberger, in his only appearance on the big stage, won a victory in a shaky performance.

I think that in most peoples' minds he needs to erase that memory of that game to be considered in the same breath as Brady. I'm not saying that he is or isn't, but that's what many people think; he came up a clunker in the Super Bowl and he needs a big game on center stage to erase that memory.

19ward86
12-08-2007, 06:23 PM
38-13 equals 51? they do compare very well to eachother. it is weird but brady hasnt had many seasons with a QB rating over 90.

Mosca
12-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Nice first post, BTW.

Snerdly
12-08-2007, 07:24 PM
If my team didn't have Brady, I'd certainly take Roethlisberger over 'Cut that meat'.

Both of our teams are lucky to have clutch QB's.

The Duke
12-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Big Ben was invited to play in the pro bowl after the Super Bowl in 2006 but did not take the offer do to the ESPYs and other commitments he made post super bowl win.

he did? I had no idea!

It must be noted that it is of my strongest belief that Roethlisberger's wins would have been have been more copious in the previous season if he had not have experienced the horrid motorcycle accident that had unfortunately dawned upon him.

I've stated this before, without Ben's horrible last season he would have a QB rating of about 100 for his career, quite better than Brady's.

One thing I think Brady will always have more than Ben is touchdowns, and possibly wins for some reason :wink02:, but super bowl rings could be a different story, the way this team is shaping right now Ben could end his career the way he said he wanted, 5 super bowl wins.

Steeler in Carolina
12-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I would not take any QB over Ben. I think we have the best in the league.

SteelDogFan
12-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I have to agree> I've been watch the NFL for years and in his rookie season I don't think I have seen better.

SteelCurtain
12-08-2007, 08:06 PM
I would not take any QB over Ben. I think we have the best in the league.

To be perfectly honest, as of right now, I don't believe we have the best QB in the league. That pedestal belongs to Brady with Manning in a close second. I do believe Ben is the third best, but I also believe he will be the best within a few years. By the time he has been in the leagues as long as Brady and Manning have been now, we will be calling him without any doubt the best.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-08-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't think he is the best yet either but he is the perfect fit for the city of Pittsburgh and the Steelers ....Thats all that matters to me.......Big Ben is a warrior and his determination to win is what makes him special....

PantsB
12-08-2007, 09:18 PM
5. In viewing these comparisons, I have found something interesting. ESPN listed Ben Roethlisberger on their "Odd Men Out" list for future Cantonization. However, Brady was listed as number 2 (I think) for the top 50 players most likely to make the NFL Hall of Fame.

Roethlisberger is only 25 years old, and he probably has not even reached the pinnacle of his career. He has come extremely close in matching Brady's 52 game record which again I believe he would have outmatched if not experiencing the injury he faced. Call me insane, but I believe that in the future, Roethlisberger will outmatch Brady's winning percentage and will match his number of Super Bowl rings by the end of his NFL career.

Brady's three Super Bowl rings and 2 Super Bowl MVPs might have something to do with it. Brady also threw the ball half again as often, while Roethlisberger has been secondary to the run game. Roethlisberger also throws interceptions twice as often as Brady did during his first 4 years, and had over 500 fewer yards a year.

Roethlisberger has a shot at Canton. Brady's enshrinement is a formality.

Mosca
12-08-2007, 09:32 PM
One thing that Brady has (and P Manning too) all over Roethlisberger is the precision of his play fakes. Whereas Roethlisberger makes a half-hearted effort to the running back before rolling out, Brady really sells the action; the start of the play-action pass looks exactly like the running play does.

That's experience. It takes a long time and a lot of work to get that good at that particular part of the game, and I don't think in 40+ years of watching football that I've seen anyone better at it than Brady. Maybe Staubach was as good.

It's something to aspire to, it's part of being a complete player and it gives you that little bit of extra edge. The split second that you use up gains you a lot more than that in freezing the defense. Maybe we can get KA to work on that with him over the winter.

tony hipchest
12-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Roethlisberger also throws interceptions twice as often as Brady did during his first 4 years.

gotta call :bs: on this one. i dont know where youre getting your facts but brady is a career 13 int/year guy.

i dont know if youre counting bradys 1st year of 16 games on the bench (pretty hard to throw int's from there), but still its brady 38 and ben with 54.

if youre counting bradys 1st 4 years as a starter vs. ben then its ben 54 and brady 52. but then thats not a fair comparrison cause ben still hasnt finished his 4th year in the league, now has he?

throw out bens fluke year last year and bradys fluke year this year, and ben has NEVER thrown more ints than brady in a single year. even leading the league with 23, he still didnt throw twice as many as brady (12- close but no cigar).

this will be the 1st time in bradys 7 years as a starter he doesnt throw either 12 or 14 int's.

if you look at bens 8 career fumbles lost compared to bradys 18 in his 1st 4 years as a starter its easy to see that ben takes care of the ball just as well as brady.

and when it really matters, brady has had a horrible problem with turnovers in his last 3 playoff games.

sorry, but you cant throw out bogus statements like that. the people here know their shit and dont just bleat along with the rest of the sheepfans.

Snerdly
12-08-2007, 10:44 PM
throw out bens fluke year last year and bradys fluke year this year

Ohh jesus christ....

How freakin' convenient.
Why don't you just negate every pick by Ben, and rebut every TD by Tom.

The numbers are what they are... and if Ben had a bad year because he's too dumb to stay off donorcycles, well then guess what... that's part of the bargain.

tony hipchest
12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Ohh jesus christ....

How freakin' convenient.

. i see you didnt read the post or are new to message boards and picking up on sarcasm. it was a fecetious, tongue in cheek comment. it was your fellow patfan who conviniently threw in bradys 1st year of 0 int's. to make it look like bray only had 38 int's in 4 years of starting. (perhaps he thought brady was a rookie in 2001. most patfans do.)

dont come in and try to be the hero. let him have the opportunity i presented to clarify himself.

either way, ben hasnt started 4 years but if you wanna compare their 1st 4 years as a starter its 54 to 52 and brady +10 in fumbles. you can refute these facts and further look like a jackass or just butt out and not try to be a night in shining armor.

you obviously dont even know what "twice as often" means. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
12-08-2007, 11:22 PM
38-13 equals 51? they do compare very well to eachother. it is weird but brady hasnt had many seasons with a QB rating over 90.

I think he meant 39-13 maybe?

Galax Steeler
12-09-2007, 06:11 AM
i see you didnt read the post or are new to message boards and picking up on sarcasm. it was a fecetious, tongue in cheek comment. it was your fellow patfan who conviniently threw in bradys 1st year of 0 int's. to make it look like bray only had 38 int's in 4 years of starting. (perhaps he thought brady was a rookie in 2001. most patfans do.)

dont come in and try to be the hero. let him have the opportunity i presented to clarify himself.

either way, ben hasnt started 4 years but if you wanna compare their 1st 4 years as a starter its 54 to 52 and brady +10 in fumbles. you can refute these facts and further look like a jackass or just butt out and not try to be a night in shining armor.

you obviously dont even know what "twice as often" means. :chuckle:

:thumbsup: :sofunny:

Mosca
12-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Ohh jesus christ....

How freakin' convenient.

The numbers are what they are... and if Ben had a bad year because he's too dumb to stay off donorcycles, well then guess what... that's part of the bargain.

Allowing for that year, and counting Brady's first 4 years actually playing, it's 54-52. allow Roethlisberger an INT in each of the remaining games and it's still 59-52. Or, you could compare them both to Brian St Pierre, I guess. He's thrown far fewer interceptions than either one.

(edit) I see that th already covered it.

Michael Keller
12-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Clearly Tom Brady has estalished himself as a premier quarterback. His career is longer, he has won several Super Bowls. You can never take his greatness away nor should any Steeler want to.

Ben is really only in his third year. I consider last years performance like the Monday night Miami qame. A "mulligan" toss it away as it has no meaning. His performance this year is at the Pro Bow llevel. He may or may not be as good as Brady even now but to me two things are important he has proven to be an impact player who is leading his team's offense. Secondly Ben's upside potential is far greater than Brady's or Manning's. This guy is an incredible Athlete , an outstanding high school basketball and baseball player. The guy was a 6 foot five inch shortstop. The Tackle on the Colts Harper to keep him from scoring a TD showed great footwork and anticipation I am not sure Brady or Manning could duplicate.

Point I want to make is if Ben Continues to put the extra time in as he has done this past off season and during this season Ben 's chances of being a Hall of Fame quarterback are virtually certain if he can stay injury free. I commend Tomlin and Arian for the way they have included him the brain trust group .

Brady's a master surgeon. Ben is an ATHLETE SUPREME playing QB in the NFL,

Thirty years ago before they put Skirts on quarterbacks, Big Ben would be on top of the list and that I do not doubt for a minute .

Today could the day that Ben reaches that next level of greatness.

If he can be THE MAN today I like our chances in the playoffs. Greatness is mostly about winning Super Bowls, Dan marino withstanding .

Michael Keller
12-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Clearly Tom Brady has estalished himself as a premier quarterback. His career is longer, he has won several Super Bowls. You can never take his greatness away nor should any Steeler want to.

Ben is really only in his third year. I consider last years performance like the Monday night Miami qame. A "mulligan" toss it away as it has no meaning. His performance this year is at the Pro Bow llevel. He may or may not be as good as Brady even now but to me two things are important he has proven to be an impact player who is leading his team's offense. Secondly Ben's upside potential is far greater than Brady's or Manning's. This guy is an incredible Athlete , an outstanding high school basketball and baseball player. The guy was a 6 foot five inch shortstop.

Point I want to make is if Ben Continues to put the extra time in as he has done this past off season and during this season Ben 's chances of being a hall of fame quarterback are virtually certain if he can stay injury free. I commend Tomlin and Arian for the way they have included him the brain trust group .

Brady's a master surgeon. Ben is an ATHLETE SUPREME playing QB in the NFL,

Thirty years ago before they put Skirts on quarterbacks, Big Ben would be on top of the list and that I do not doubt for a minute .

Mosca
12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Ben is really only in his third year. I consider last years performance like the Monday night Miami qame. A "mulligan" toss it away as it has no meaning.

Naw, man. It is what it is. The tape is his resume. Snerdly missed the mark with his post, but he is right in that it is part of the bargain. Roethlisberger makes no excuses for it, and neither should anyone else. Right now it represents 1/4 of his stats, and only time will tell if it will remain 1/4 or fade to 1/12th, or more, or less.