PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's motivational speeches?

Stu Pidasso
12-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Does Mike Tomlin give pre-game speeches like The Chin used to do? I wonder what his demeanor is like in the locker room. I see how it is in press conferences, I wonder if it is any different...

tony hipchest
12-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Does Mike Tomlin give pre-game speeches like The Chin used to do? I wonder what his demeanor is like in the locker room. I see how it is in press conferences, I wonder if it is any different...like cowher, i dont think tomlin is too far removed from a players mentality, when it comes to the fired up emotion of gameday. i bet hes got some pretty good simple speeches and words to get the adrenaline flowing.

i was watching "glory road" again the other night. i liked some of the similarities of haskins to tomlin and 'chick to rupp.

if this were a playoff game, i think id have the team watch this as a group.

geo123
12-09-2007, 11:42 AM
I watched the pieces on the Steelers in the 70's. Chuck Noll was quite the motivational speaker.

19ward86
12-09-2007, 12:26 PM
he said he wasnt a yeller and ben backed it up so if he does give speeches i would guess they would sound more like gameplans than rallies.

OneForTheToe
12-09-2007, 01:47 PM
I think motivational speches are overrateed. Players are motivated to begin with. I think a coaches job with motivational speeches is to just a nudge a team a bit in the correct direction. If your team is a bit flat, then lift them up. On the other hand, sometime teams are so fired up that a coach is best served to try and make sure they are stikll using their heads. Finally, I don't think that every effective motivational speech is neccessarily a loud one.