PDA

View Full Version : Play Calling

Ricco Suavez
12-09-2007, 06:45 PM
3rd and goal behind you know you are in 4 down territory. Why get cute.

gobig99
12-09-2007, 06:49 PM
they suck. Really disapointing and deserve to loss. Let the third quarter run out when u can run another play down by 3 scores

Sharkissle29
12-09-2007, 06:50 PM
i didnt understand it either...

steelpride12
12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I think that was a dumb play, but throughout the game def. in the first half i liked the play calling it was no run, run, pass and we were getting production out of its so hats off to Arians for some good play calling!

BlastFurnace
12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Other than the playcalling when we were at the 1 yard line, I didn't have a problem with the play calling.

Face it, it wasn't the play calling that lost the game. We needed to punch it in for 7 today and not settle for field goals.

We will be fine....if we can put this game behind us and focus on Jacksonville. Jacksonville is a must win game. This game against the Patriots was not.

SMR
12-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Is there an echo here?
:sofunny:

NV STEELERS 723
12-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I was shocked we didn't hear Heath Miller all day..... WTF ??????

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-09-2007, 08:23 PM
I thought Arians called a good game today. I think the 4th and one call was questionable but it seemed to be open if Colon would have move out of Wards way.

IslandSteeler
12-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I didn't think the playcalling was that bad. I still hate the wr screen and wish they would run more rb screens. I'm not a coach so I don't think they're changing for me. Other than that I just think it was more execution than bad play calling. Once the Patriots were up big we just couldn't adjust and I think they wanted it more.

TXSTEELER
12-09-2007, 08:40 PM
The third down was a good call, of course the zebra bailed out Harrison by not calling either holding or contact beyond the line of scrimmage which he did both.
I'm sure Moss would have drawn the penalty. Would have made the game a little more interesting if we had made a TD.

TackleMeBen
12-09-2007, 08:43 PM
The third down was a good call, of course the zebra bailed out Harrison by not calling either holding or contact beyond the line of scrimmage which he did both.
I'm sure Moss would have drawn the penalty. Would have made the game a little more interesting if we had made a TD.
:iagree: there were quite a few no calls that were not called. i even i had friend of mine say that was interference and he isnt a fan of either team.

i did like the playing calling for the most part. but like someone said you have to score TDs not FGs when you get in the red zone.

justbnsd
12-09-2007, 08:48 PM
since tomlin,no gameplan,just let ben throw it when he wants

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I didn't think the playcalling was that bad. I still hate the wr screen and wish they would run more rb screens. I'm not a coach so I don't think they're changing for me. Other than that I just think it was more execution than bad play calling. Once the Patriots were up big we just couldn't adjust and I think they wanted it more.

Agree with you about the RB screens. I relly thought we should have run some to the right side to atleast try and slow Vrabel.

justbnsd
12-09-2007, 08:50 PM
If we run the ball at least 5 more times in 1st half ,we go in at 1/2 time with a lead!

geo123
12-09-2007, 08:55 PM
they suck. Really disapointing and deserve to loss. Let the third quarter run out when u can run another play down by 3 scores

That bothered me too. Ben's got the arm why not throw one up deep?

The Duke
12-09-2007, 09:46 PM
That bothered me too. Ben's got the arm why not throw one up deep?

Yep, and that makes me think they were afraid to do so, and playing not to lose, again.....

they are not gonna win in the playoffs with that mentality

jjpro11
12-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Yep, and that makes me think they were afraid to do so, and playing not to lose, again.....

they are not gonna win in the playoffs with that mentality

i dont buy that.. we went for it on 4th down what? 3 times? i think we were trying to go long a couple times but it just wasnt there. they went into the game sending all the pressure they could on defense and doing whatever they could on offense.. we just lost.

Stillers43
12-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Arians called a reverse with Nothcutt on the goaline when he was with the Browns. Awful call now and then! Fire Arians!!!!

Jman
12-10-2007, 09:50 AM
:coffee:

klick81
12-10-2007, 11:50 AM
One thing I LOVED? The fact that they went for it on 4th at least two times, and converted on both. That was GREAT.

Of course, the stupid reverse on 4th & goal at the 1 yard line killed me, but other than that, great short yardage execution.

Steeldude
12-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Other than the playcalling when we were at the 1 yard line, I didn't have a problem with the play calling.

Face it, it wasn't the play calling that lost the game. We needed to punch it in for 7 today and not settle for field goals.

We will be fine....if we can put this game behind us and focus on Jacksonville. Jacksonville is a must win game. This game against the Patriots was not.

huh? the play calling in the game was horrendous. bland and predictable plays all day from the steelers offense. it's just too damn easy to tell when the steelers will pass or run.

the play calling is why the steelers were settling for FGs.

you people keep ignoring these losses by saying "let's focus on next week". the steelers should have addressed these problems on offense and defense after the cardinals' game. this is a team that is in trouble and it isn't getting better. i know the rah-rah fans don't like to hear that, but it's true.

the steelers will have to re-work the entire O-line next season...again.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 12:01 PM
huh? the play calling in the game was horrendous. bland and predictable plays all day from the steelers offense. it's just too damn easy to tell when the steelers will pass or run.

the play calling is why the steelers were settling for FGs.

you people keep ignoring these losses by saying "let's focus on next week". the steelers should have addressed these problems on offense and defense after the cardinals' game. this is a team that is in trouble and it isn't getting better. i know the rah-rah fans don't like to hear that, but it's true.

the steelers will have to re-work the entire O-line next season...again.

Exactly. Part of focusing on next week's game is fixing the problems from this week's game.

Steeldude
12-10-2007, 12:04 PM
i dont buy that.. we went for it on 4th down what? 3 times? i think we were trying to go long a couple times but it just wasnt there. they went into the game sending all the pressure they could on defense and doing whatever they could on offense.. we just lost.

bland and predictable play calling is not doing whatever they could on offense.

the pats were prepared for this game like they always are each week. the steelers were lost again.

the most sickening part of the game was watching the steelers' defenders laughing it up with the patriots in the 2nd half. they seemed content with losing.

meelanova
12-10-2007, 01:02 PM
the pats were prepared for this game like they always are each week.

anyone notice they ran the same trick play on us that did we did to Bengals in the playoffs a few years ago? with the same defensive reaction and all?

Dino 6 Rings
12-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Najeh Davenport, Half Back in the Slot up and go for a Touchdown.

Great Play Call.

Who saw that coming? No one. Willie had 124 yards rushing. Good running game. Najeh made the 1st downs when we needed them.

I think Ward probably lobbied for that play call at the goal line, sometimes, in a game that isn't a "must win" you take chances.

Now against the Jags, its a must win. 10 wins and we are in the Playoffs at least as a wild card. Home, Away, doesn't matter to me. Just get in the Playoffs and that's a full season better than last year.

coachspeak33
12-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Najeh Davenport, Half Back in the Slot up and go for a Touchdown.

Great Play Call.

Who saw that coming? No one. Willie had 124 yards rushing. Good running game. Najeh made the 1st downs when we needed them.

I think Ward probably lobbied for that play call at the goal line, sometimes, in a game that isn't a "must win" you take chances.

Now against the Jags, its a must win. 10 wins and we are in the Playoffs at least as a wild card. Home, Away, doesn't matter to me. Just get in the Playoffs and that's a full season better than last year.

Not tryin to nit-pik.....BUT..... Najeh's out and up??? Not a structured route within the play....at least it didnt appear that way to me (Simms mentioned "a great read by Najeh to break off his route").....Arians play calling during the red zone series that ended with Hines running into Colon on a reverse was AWFUL for severarl reasons
-first santonio is 5 frickin 10....fade routes to midgets in a must score situation of the game, uhhhhh, not so sweet
-4th and goal from the inch line w/ the NFL's most elusive & tuff-to-tackle QB and red zone beast Hines Ward....and Arians runs a reverse????

Worse than that was the complete joke at the end of the 3Q....Our 2nd down play ends inside near the goaline w/ 30 seconds left....obviously its 4 down territory....We are down multiple scores....NE's old-a$$ defense is tiring from a drive that was mostly a no huddle drive.....and Arians cant get a play sent in to Ben in time

This is unacceptable and the same kinda stuff we saw Mr Chin let happen last year

I hope tomlin understands the fine line between - sense of urgency & panic

Big D
12-10-2007, 01:44 PM
not suggesting we should follow in the direction of the bungles but... I think we should have let ben call the plays at the line and went no huddle for 85% of the game.

The_WARDen
12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
One other stupid play (of many) occured in the 1st drive. 1st and goal from the 6 and Ben throws it to Miller out in the flat???? What the h*ll was he gonna do with it out there? Throw it to Parker...Miller should be over the middle. Just thought it was a worthless play.

Other dumb call was the 2nd FG...the go for it on 4th and 1 from Patsies 42, but then at their 25 on the same drive, they kick the FG on 4th and 2??? Field goals won't be the Patsies. Gotta play to win and try to get in the end zone.

Dino 6 Rings
12-10-2007, 05:32 PM
and the Steelers will watch the film, see their mistakes and adjust accordingly. Did they make play calling mistakes, I'm sure they did, so did the Pats, so does every team during a game. Sometimes you can recover, some times, you don't. You learn from it, and move on.

And the halfback catching a TD 33 yards down field doesn't usually happen unless it is practiced at some point. Sorry but that isn't the kind of thing that Najeh is doing on his own all season. They saw something, and called that play to get him out into an open spot, with a linebacker covering him.

hellbread
12-10-2007, 06:04 PM
i have to agree with the brian billick here. if any of those plays went different. i.e. the 4th and 1 reverse to ward. if it went for a touchdown we would be saying 'hey that wasnt a bad call' i believe it was a bad call i was just using that as a example. davenport was getting 4th and 1 all game why not go with him here.

geo123
12-10-2007, 06:06 PM
[
And the halfback catching a TD 33 yards down field doesn't usually happen unless it is practiced at some point. Sorry but that isn't the kind of thing that Najeh is doing on his own all season. They saw something, and called that play to get him out into an open spot, with a linebacker covering him.[/QUOTE]

I think it was a broken play myself. It was their longest throw and longest completion of the game. My question Why?!

Rick5895
12-11-2007, 07:20 AM
I thin all offensive coaches are the same, always trying to get cute when they should take what the D gives them. It was a problem when Whisenhut was here and is still a problem

coachspeak33
12-11-2007, 07:52 AM
[
And the halfback catching a TD 33 yards down field doesn't usually happen unless it is practiced at some point. Sorry but that isn't the kind of thing that Najeh is doing on his own all season. They saw something, and called that play to get him out into an open spot, with a linebacker covering him.

I think it was a broken play myself. It was their longest throw and longest completion of the game. My question Why?![/QUOTE]

agreed....its a little tough to design a route that requires ben to scramble around, running for his life.....great READ by Najeh - Fabulous job by ben throwing on the money 40yds, while scrambling left.

But please DINO, dont give Arians any credit for this "big play"

SteelersJW
12-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Those are the situations when you wish Bettis was still on the team. Getting fancy with that hand off to Ward was dumb, even though the play was close, it had a large potential for error. We should have given Najeh another chance.