PDA

View Full Version : Halftime adjustments won this game!

SteelDogFan
12-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Lets face it the Bill B. made major adjustments at half and the Steelers had nothing to counter them. After the first 10 quick passes there has to be an adjustment made. Wes made 7 catches in a row. That is bad. Brady was not even attempting to go down field. I don't think he even looked at a second receiver. He made he read and got rid of the ball before he could get sacked.

I have to give the offense credit even though they took Ward out of the game they still made plays and got down the field. But again I turn to play calling on the goal line. A wide receiver hand off on the 2 yard line on fourth down when you have a mobile QB and one of the best redzone receivers in the league.

All in all I saw 2 games first half and second. But the NFL is about adjustments and when the Pats came out in the second half they had made adjustments. It did not look like the Steelers had anything to combat them.

IslandSteeler
12-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I think those quick passes have always been the downfall for the Steelers defense when executed right. Too bad though about those long quick scores or it would have been a much better game at the end. The offense was pretty poor in the second half with the exception of Ben. I thought he had an incredible game throughout with little support.

geo123
12-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Only one team seemed to make adjustments, and it wasn't us.

Blitzburgh_Fever
12-09-2007, 09:09 PM

:iagree:

Outcoached. Arians and LeBeau were stagnant, and Tomlin didn't seem to do anything about it. I'm a huge Tomlin fan, and I understand being a macromanager, but it's annoying when he won't make the micro adjustments.

revefsreleets
12-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Even if you're right, I'd say Tomlin is WAY ahead of Bill Belichick relative to HC experience. If this was Bill's first year coaching, he'd have lost the game by 50 points.

Blitzburgh_Fever
12-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Even if you're right, I'd say Tomlin is WAY ahead of Bill Belichick relative to HC experience. If this was Bill's first year coaching, he'd have lost the game by 50 points.

Absolutely I agree, Tomlin is already damn good and is going to be one of the great coaches of the future, but today it didn't seem like we realized we were playing the Patriots. We plays the Colts and Patriots enough to know they never play the same from half-to-half. What we did today was more of the same, which is fine, but when it stopped working it didn't seem like we had a plan B.

BlastFurnace
12-09-2007, 09:29 PM
We have played pretty well this year. Inconsistent...yes, but it has been a good year.

Plain and simple...Brady just gets how to beat our defense. Always has. It wasn't Weis or anyone else...it's Brady. Carson Palmer...even though he plays us twice a year and is recognized by many as a great QB...doesn't get it...and I'm not convinced that Manning does either.

Brady has probably cost us another ring or two...single handidly.

OneForTheToe
12-09-2007, 10:21 PM
We have played pretty well this year. Inconsistent...yes, but it has been a good year.

Plain and simple...Brady just gets how to beat our defense. Always has. It wasn't Weis or anyone else...it's Brady. Carson Palmer...even though he plays us twice a year and is recognized by many as a great QB...doesn't get it...and I'm not convinced that Manning does either.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think you are 100% correct.

Edman
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM

Brady beat us in one AFC Title game. But yeah, he still has the Steelers' number.

Or maybe our defense just can't figure out Brady. Reminds me of a young Steve McNair and how he used to torture the Steelers Defense back in the early 00's-Late 90's. Passing plays were called how many consecutive times?

19ward86
12-09-2007, 10:42 PM
bad matchups won the game.

moedap
12-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I wont go into my conspiracy theory about there being a phantom headcoach(maybe Rooney) but the lack of halftime adjustments or even the consideration of halftime adjustments is all too familiar against the Patriots. They have to know Bill Belichick is going to be making adjustments. I like the agressive blitzing in the first half but they should have dialed it back in the second half. Brady was on an automatic clock in the second half. 2 to 3 seconds and the ball was out of his hand. I would have liked to see them rush three a little more and make Brady "pick them apart". He didnt have to face the Tampa 2 that Tomlin employs. They should have known from history that Brady picks apart the zone blitz.

BallsofSteel
12-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Maybe LeBeau should have had his guys play a little closer to the line of scrimmage and punch those receivers in the face like Baltimore and Philly did. Nope. We won't use plans from other teams that actually work. We'll give ten yard cushions and invite a massacre. Gee, what a brilliant idea, Dick.

SteelDogFan
12-10-2007, 09:22 AM
I agree that Tomlin is ahead of most rookie coaches and I am not trying to say is not doing a good job. But we all heard Phil Sims say "When I saw that play I was thinking NO! don't hand it to the wide receiver". At the two yard line a running back knows how to make quick decisions and which gap to pick a wide receiver does not.

I know Tomlin is kind of hands off on play calling (letting his coaches coach) but that was a time to say no run Willie or Dav up the gut. That was just a bad bad call.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 09:24 AM

Once again, we do the same thing even when it doesn't work.

BlitzburgForever
12-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Lets face it the Bill B. made major adjustments at half and the Steelers had nothing to counter them. After the first 10 quick passes there has to be an adjustment made. Wes made 7 catches in a row. That is bad. Brady was not even attempting to go down field. I don't think he even looked at a second receiver. He made he read and got rid of the ball before he could get sacked.

I have to give the offense credit even though they took Ward out of the game they still made plays and got down the field. But again I turn to play calling on the goal line. A wide receiver hand off on the 2 yard line on fourth down when you have a mobile QB and one of the best redzone receivers in the league.

All in all I saw 2 games first half and second. But the NFL is about adjustments and when the Pats came out in the second half they had made adjustments. It did not look like the Steelers had anything to combat them.

I couldn't agree more, hopefully other teams with smart qb's won't start going pass happy on us like in the past, because we faired poorly, at least in this game. Our blitzing usually works great messing up the timing againt midrange to deep passes, but when it's short quick passes over and over our defense looks uninteligent. If the blitz can't get there in time then we got to cover! Boy do I miss Woodson and Lake.

We had to surprise them starting second half and put in new wrinkles on both sides of the ball to keep them off balance and be quick to adjust to nonstop short passes. Everyone knows how great Pats are the 2nd half with adjustments, the first half showed we have the talent at certain positions, the second half showed that New England put in plays to exploit our weakness based on our first half play calling. Unfortunately our new coach hadn't experienced teams going pass happy like Cowher had.

The loss doesn't bum me though just being regular season, as much as how we are so spotty on being emotionally charged this season. Hopefully this won't be a problem once were in playoffs, I wouldn't think so!

stlrtruck
12-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Do you think that maybe the Steelers went Vanilla for a reason? I mean I'll admit that the Patriots made better halftime adjustments but do you think maybe they were playing cat and mouse for a potential rematch?

I'm not saying I agree with the decision and that we should have definitely played a more aggressive game (ala eagles and ratbirds vs. patriacheats), but from what I saw in the second half, it looked liked the coaches laid off and was ok with preparing for a loss and moving on to the jags.