PDA

View Full Version : Did the Patriots single out Anthony Smith?

tony hipchest
12-09-2007, 11:17 PM
the question has already been raised. could the patriots be so talented and diobolical that they put a target on his back for the sole purpose of teaching him a lesson in humility for his boisterous prediction?

dont buy into the hype.

what the patriots did was elementary and wouldve been done regardless of the mouth of a young'n. sure he stepped into a pile of doo and put a target on his back. sure he put immense pressure on his sholders, despite being on a team where no single defensive player needs to carry that burden.

but when the media tries to convince you the patriots can snatch up any player they want and put him over their knee, dont buy in.

the steelers came in with the leagues #1 defense. the weakest link of that unit was 2nd year starter anthony smith. there are no other starters with less than 3 years in the league on the steelers d. not only was he the weakest link and sure to be a target of the veteran patriots, he was also the one immature enough to start poppong off at the mouth to a team who was gonna target him in the 1st place.

his mistake wasnt his confidence. his mistake was his ego wanting to shoulder the load when there were 10 other players capable of splitting the burden. especially when you are the teams weakest (most inexperienced) link.

no shame though, and hopefully he learns, moves on, and puts it behind him. the patriots burned pro bowler troy polamalu in almost the same fashion in his sophmore year.

and he didnt even guarantee a victory to earn such "punishment".

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Nope, I don't think they singled him out. They just did their thing, and well, they won.

jjpro11
12-09-2007, 11:51 PM
they didnt.. but you know damn well they were thinking about him when brady got in his face after the first td.. so much for them brushing him off as a 2nd year nobody shooting off his mouth... but they didnt pick on him because of it.. if casey hampton said the same thing last week, they wouldnt be running the ball up the middle every other play trying to get back at casey. smith is the weakest link on our D right now.. they exploited the weakness.

IslandSteeler
12-09-2007, 11:57 PM
They throw it deep every game. The first td was a bad one for smith. The other one's were just well executed. Harrison knocked Ike off of coverage of Moss. As for the trick play, that was pretty clever. Right out of the Steelers old playbook.

I'm not worried. That's not the way the rematch will go.

SteelersMongol
12-10-2007, 12:29 AM
They didn't single him out. But we're (the fans) are singling him out for our loss. Shame shame shame!!!

MACH1
12-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Nope...He is young and inexperienced and a weak link today.

Borski
12-10-2007, 01:01 AM
they didnt.. but you know damn well they were thinking about him when brady got in his face after the first td..

A little off topic, but did anyone else notice how fast Harrison came to back up Smith? I liked seeing that:tt02:

Edman
12-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Two deep bombs were the result of young Anthony Smith blowing his coverage. He was right there both times.

The Patriots didn't out-physical the Steelers, they out-finessed and outsmarted them. Seriously, do you know how many consecutive pass plays were called by NE?

Galax Steeler
12-10-2007, 05:06 AM
Smith wasn't the only safety burnt by the patriots this year they have done it to just about everybody.

geo123
12-10-2007, 06:27 AM
I wouldn't be sursprised if they intentionally went after him. I think the Pats knew we were vunerable to that play after the Jet game!

BallsofSteel
12-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Did they single him out? Here's your answer:

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the Patriots targeted Smith, a second-year player who became the starter when Ryan Clark was lost for the season.

"We've played against a lot better safeties than him," Belichick said.

Moss said Smith's guarantee surprised and motivated the Patriots.

"I've played in the league for 10 years, and I don't think I've ever heard a player say anything like that," Moss said. "It came to us, and we went out there, and you (could) see we wanted it more."

FAB802
12-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Anthony Smith was the 11th best player on the field. He could be a mime and they would have still went after him. They cashed in on both big shots they took downfield. The rest of the game they dumped it off short and our DC refused to bring the corners up to jam their receivers and disrupt their timing. We lost a game we were expected to lose. The score wasn't indicative of the kind of game it really was though. I'm angry because we blew a real opportunity yesterday when our coaches turtled up. Again.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 08:59 AM
They didn't single him out. But we're (the fans) are singling him out for our loss. Shame shame shame!!!

If you are going to talk the talk you better walk the walk

Smith deserves every shot that is being fired his way.

The only bright side is that he hopefully learned his lesson and will spend less time boasting and more time learning to play safety.

BAS
12-10-2007, 11:47 AM
The way I see it... Smith definitely painted the target on himself with his guarantee comments - but the Patriots would have most likely targeted him anyway.

They're an aggressive passing offense... and Smith has been caught flatfooted in the past by peaking into the backfield instead of protecting his responsibility. The flea-flicker to start the game against the Jets was the first big success in that arena.

And since the flea flicker was attempted at least one other time prior to yesterday - it's safe to guess that the Pats would target him from long ago.

So while his comments may have added fuel to the Pats fire, and the steeler fans' frustrations - it likely didn't increase the Pats attention to him... it was already there.

susielr
12-10-2007, 12:03 PM
A little off topic, but did anyone else notice how fast Harrison came to back up Smith? I liked seeing that:tt02:

Oh, I loved it!!! I loved how Brady looked for Smith after the touchdown to talk smack then Harrison comes up and chest bumps him..man, Brady started back pedaling then. But really, it was the first quarter and the score is 7 to 3 and Brady starts yapping to the defense like they already won..i wanted them to nail him on every play after that. Did Harrison take him down once..not for a sack, but hit him after he got rid of the ball? I think I recall him doing it. Then after the game I wanted someone to go and hit Phil Simms. Maybe choke him with his ugly sweater and tie.:tt02:

BallsofSteel
12-10-2007, 12:04 PM
But there was more from Belichick when he was asked about a 56-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Jabar Gaffney in the third quarter. On the play, Brady lateraled to Moss, who threw back across the field to Brady, who found Gaffney all alone behind, yep, you know who.

"Well, again, the safety play at that position was pretty inviting," Belichick said.

---------------

"There's nothing wrong with confidence, don't get me wrong," cornerback Ellis Hobbs said. "You have to have a swagger out on the field. But there's a fine line and he definitely crossed it. He was definitely knocked down when he crossed it today."

-----------------

"He basically called us out," Gaffney said

----------------

It was Moss who took the final shot at Smith.

Just say it was appropriate.

"They did their talking throughout the week. We did our talking on the field today."

--------------

"Well, everything happens for a reason,'' said Harrison, when asked about Smith's role in both long touchdown passes. "That's why in life you remain humble, continue to work hard and be thankful for everything God blessed you with.

"When I was a young player like that, I barely opened my mouth. You've got to just go out there and play football and not worry about the other crap that's going on.''

-------------

"It's almost like when you go to a pizza shop and you order your pizza, and you say I want extra sausage,'' said Patriots veteran safety Rodney Harrison, of the added motivation that Smith's guarantee inspired in New England's locker room. "There's nothing wrong with extra sausage.''

---------------

"I don't really know if his team had his back or not. But it (the guarantee) was said, it was documented, it was printed, and it came to us.''

-------------

"It definitely did (motivate them),'' Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "I had a couple of their guys as I was coming on the field during the TV timeout who said, 'Why are your guys opening their mouths? We're so fired up out there.' We got some young guys. Lesson learned for the young guy.''

------------------

"I think the Baltimore Ravens and the Pittsburgh Steelers, because of their toughness and their mouths, they've got a lot in common. They did their talking throughout the week, and we did our talking on the field today.''

susielr
12-10-2007, 12:06 PM

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the Patriots targeted Smith, a second-year player who became the starter when Ryan Clark was lost for the season.

"I've played in the league for 10 years, and I don't think I've ever heard a player say anything like that," Moss said. "It came to us, and we went out there, and you (could) see we wanted it more."

Has Moss been wearing earmuffs for the past ten years? He never heard any one talk smack like that? Please.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Pot really messes with your memory doesn't it?

stillers4me
12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Oh, I loved it!!! I loved how Brady looked for Smith after the touchdown to talk smack then Harrison comes up and chest bumps him..man, Brady started back pedaling then. But really, it was the first quarter and the score is 7 to 3 and Brady starts yapping to the defense like they already won..i wanted them to nail him on every play after that. Did Harrison take him down once..not for a sack, but hit him after he got rid of the ball? I think I recall him doing it. Then after the game I wanted someone to go and hit Phil Simms. Maybe choke him with his ugly sweater and tie.:tt02:

I loved it, too! James Harrison and everybody else knows that Smith was wrong in what he said. But he wears the black and gold and James wasn't about to let that arrogant prick get in his face without a little help from his friends.

susielr
12-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I loved it, too! James Harrison and everybody else knows that Smith was wrong in what he said. But he wears the black and gold and James wasn't about to let that arrogant prick get in his face without a little help from his friends.

I just can't say enough how great it was. My highlight of the game.(well Davenport's touchdown was nice too.:wink02:)

susielr
12-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Pot really messes with your memory doesn't it?

I would say..also with your looks obviously.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 12:20 PM
I would say..also with your looks obviously.

He was already ugly. Pot didn't do anything to mess up his mug.

susielr
12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
He was already ugly. Pot didn't do anything to mess up his mug.

Better yet...born that way. I love it!!!:sofunny:

Big D
12-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I dont mean to be doom and gloom. But when I heard smith guarantee the victory I knew we would lose. What's funny is the guy who brought the most talk had the worst game. I bet smith got an ear full from tomlin

stillers4me
12-10-2007, 01:32 PM
“I don’t care to repeat it, especially if my mother reads it,” said Brady in response to a question about his exact words to Smith. “She wouldn’t be very happy with what I said.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1049860

Hey, Tommy Boy, what happened to letting your play do your talking for you???

Anybody that thinks this is all beneath Tom Brady is leaving in a dreamland. He proved to just as big a punk as Anthony Smith. He's just the punk that won.

Big D
12-10-2007, 01:34 PM

Anybody that thinks this is all beneath Tom Brady is leaving in a dreamland. He proved to just as big a punk as Anthony Smith. He's just the punk that won.

I think brady used to be a golden boy. But I think the fame has gone to his head

Steeldude
12-10-2007, 01:46 PM

he did. he totally destroyed the steelers with his play.

i am glad brady got in smith's face. maybe, just maybe smith will learn something, but i seriously doubt it.

Steeldude
12-10-2007, 01:48 PM
I dont mean to be doom and gloom. But when I heard smith guarantee the victory I knew we would lose. What's funny is the guy who brought the most talk had the worst game. I bet smith got an ear full from tomlin

i doubt tomlin said much of anything to him. i get the feeling that tomlin likes his punk attitude.

stillers4me
he did. he totally destroyed the steelers with his play.

i am glad brady got in smith's face. maybe, just maybe smith will learn something, but i seriously doubt it.

Yes....that's the point. According to all the hype, the great Tom Brady would never sink to Smith's level.

He did.

FAB802
If you don't want guys talking trash to you stop them. Pretty simple, really.

coachspeak33

Maybe.....maybe not. Smith placing his cleats in his mouth wasnt anything new or surprising....either his behavior has not been addressed by the staff OR he doesnt listen very well.

Either way....its not good.

Stupid is as stupid does. - Gump Out!!

Big D
12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
If you don't want guys talking trash to you stop them. Pretty simple, really.

I agree. Instead of getting burned every single time. Anthony smith helped the patriots win

dropKickMurphy
12-10-2007, 01:58 PM

Apparently, the "guarantee" wasn't enough for Smith. He was trash talking Brady during the warm ups.

I heard Brady on WEEI this morning. He said that while he was stretching at the 50 yard line before the game, Smith went by and started screaming all kinds of $h1t at him.

Brady said that at first he didn't realize that Smith was yelling at him. He asked one of the coaches "Hey, was he talking to ME?!??" The coach said he was. Brady asked the coach what Smith was saying. The coach said "Oh, he was just being a blanking blank."

The way Brady was saying it, he gave the impression that he got satisfaction from making Smith eat his words.

Who wouldn't?

jjpro11
12-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Apparently, the "guarantee" wasn't enough for Smith. He was trash talking Brady during the warm ups.

I heard Brady on WEEI this morning. He said that while he was stretching at the 50 yard line before the game, Smith went by and started screaming all kinds of $h1t at him.

Brady said that at first he didn't realize that Smith was yelling at him. He asked one of the coaches "Hey, was he talking to ME?!??" The coach said he was. Brady asked the coach what Smith was saying. The coach said "Oh, he was just being a blanking blank."

The way Brady was saying it, he gave the impression that he got satisfaction from making Smith eat his words.

Who wouldn't?

the whole ****ing team got satisfaction from it.. belichick even called out smith in his press conference.. did anyone else see that? he basically said we've face a lot of safeties better than him, smirked, and walked away. smith made an ass out of himself and the entire team.

stillers4me
12-10-2007, 10:07 PM
What goads me is how the whole organization is getting quite kick out of humilating anyone who DARES get in their way since they got caught cheating.

NJarhead
12-10-2007, 10:35 PM
What goads me is how the whole organization is getting quite kick out of humilating anyone who DARES get in their way since they got caught cheating.

Exactly!!!!

Hines0wnz
12-11-2007, 03:42 AM
Two deep bombs were the result of young Anthony Smith blowing his coverage. He was right there both times.

The Patriots didn't out-physical the Steelers, they out-finessed and outsmarted them. Seriously, do you know how many consecutive pass plays were called by NE?

Yes, it is the Patsie blueprint in beating the Steelers and for some reason no one on the coaching staff has figured that out yet. :coffee:

stlrtruck
12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Watching tv last night when they had brady on, he even mentioned that they were going after him!

In all honesty, I would have if I was them. He ran his mouth and he shouldn't have, instead of showing up to play, he showed up to chit chat and that got him a big honkin' serving of CROW!!!

pmanning
12-11-2007, 01:09 PM

I think the main thing and most everyone that plays or follows sports would agree, that there's a time to talk smack and a time not to. And one of those times not to is when you're a wet behind the ears young kid that has won nothing in the NFL. And you certainly don't pick the time playing against players and a team that have been there many times before.

Big Ben has won a Super Bowl and even he wouldn't be so stupid as to talk like Smith who hasn't earned yet the right to say squat before a game. Who the hell is Smith?

I don't blame the Pats one bit for enjoying that immensely. Put the shoe on the other foot. What if it were some rookie or second year guy that called out the Steelers and the Steelers went on to win convincingly while embarrassing that same player? You'd be loving that. That's what happened it New England and all the Steeler players besides Smith realized it after the game. They know. They'd feel the same way.