PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else feel....

chenzzo
12-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Does anybody else feel that the Pats games against Philly and Baltimore did more to prepare them for us, than vice versa? I kept hearing that those games gave other teams the blueprint to beat the Pats, but I feel it gave them practice playing against run heavy, defensive minded teams. I guarantee three weeks ago Brady wasn?t getting rid of the ball as fast as he was last night, and I know that they tried the run more too. Their last two games trained them to play a different sort of ball than they had been playing previously.

Am I crazy?

ShutDown24
12-10-2007, 08:05 AM
I thought that since they almost lost last week. If it would have just been the Eagles or just the Ravens it would have been better... To weeks in a row by 3 points makes a team that is supposed to be the greatest ever motivated I would imagine.

clarient
12-10-2007, 09:03 AM
I see what you're saying, and I think it did help them out a little bit. They saw what was coming and they adjusted for it. Not enough, obviously, the first half was a knock-down drag-out fight and we were looking pretty fierce, but they evaluated and adjusted and totally neutralized us.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 09:05 AM
I see what you're saying, and I think it did help them out a little bit. They saw what was coming and they adjusted for it. Not enough, obviously, the first half was a knock-down drag-out fight and we were looking pretty fierce, but they evaluated and adjusted and totally neutralized us.

It's called coaching. What you saw yesterday was good coaching beating mediocre coaching, nothing more and nothing less. New England didn't have better talent or a better scheme. They just made the adjustments that needed to be made throughout the game and the Steelers didn't.

BlastFurnace
12-10-2007, 09:17 AM
No. We need to face it...they are better...much better...than we are. We are not on their level right now. If we played them 10 times, they beat us 9 or 10 times.

This is not just a one time thing when playing them. Brady knows how to beat our defense. Besides the game in 2004, he has always had his way with our DB's. As a matter of fact, I think he has a harder time finding a new Super Model to date than he does finding a Steelers DB out of position.

clarient
12-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Still, would they have made the same adjustments if they hadn't been up against teams like the Ravens and the Eagles in the weeks beforehand?

Methinks they might not have adjusted as well to US if they hadn't been forced to do so against two other teams.

chenzzo
12-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Still, would they have made the same adjustments if they hadn't been up against teams like the Ravens and the Eagles in the weeks beforehand?

Methinks they might not have adjusted as well to US if they hadn't been forced to do so against two other teams.

That's what I'm thinking too, I think if they had played us before Baltimore, they result could've been very different.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 09:29 AM

Yes. They have a great coaching staff. The game might have been closer through the second half, but the result would have been the same.

BlastFurnace
12-10-2007, 09:39 AM

That's just wishful thinking. They are on a completely different level than we are.

geo123
12-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Yes BF they are playing much better ball than us or anyone. I'd still like to think we could win at least play a closer game, but a lot has to change. I think we were beaten more mentally than physically.

MY ASSESMENT:

We controled the ball in the 1st half but came up short on the scoring.and we were still in the game. The big difference here was having to settle for a FG from the 5.
The big play on D was the 63 yd TD to Moss. Terrible! Yes he's a great receiver and he will get his catches but that's inexcusable, especially against the #1 D(which is a little over rated(I'll cover that later)).

To start the 2Q we go 4and out(one1stD on first down). NE scores in 21/2 min. on the trick play. Scoring that fast and embarrasing the D took some of the intensity out of the D. That is part of their MO. they know just how to do it to every one.
Now the pressure is on the O. We have a 3 and out. This is where it falls apart. It has already been said that keeping the ball out of Brady's hands is important. A key point in the Ravens loss was 2 3 and outs in the 4thQ.
NE score aTD on next pos. We follow with a good drive from the 43 to the 1 and come away empty.Thats the second time we're inside the5 and can't get a TD.
NE now starts on their own 1, and what does the "best defense" do they allow a drive to the 10and kick a FG.

This D which is ranked #1 really hasn't proven itself. They held down teams like Buf. SF. Balt., Cin twice and Miami. Of them only Buf. has a winning record. They gave up 31 to Den. and 34 to NE. Not so great. I do think they have the talent to be better. The big plays in the NE game were mental and hopfully won't happen again. Part of maintaining coverage on a play like that is having confidence in your line . The other games I've seen their coverage has been good! The line play the run well but was weak putting pressure on Brady.The only game they seemed to excel in was Balt.

Now to the offense. Since the Jet game they've not played well. In the last 4 games only once have they scored more than 17. (I've said it in other posts if your O can't score more than 17 you not going to win many games, nor should you excpect to). They seem to be playing not to lose. Too many short passes. If you dont stretch the D they will keep cheating up. Our only TD was a 32 yd pass. It's not all Ben it's play calling too. Ben does have the arm they must be able to go deep and make plays.
The TD to Davenport was the longest reception, probablly the longest att. The receiving stats for this game were terrible. Our best guy(Ward) had 5 catches for 39 yards . Not good. Ben was 19/32 for 187yds. these are not winning numbers!!!

BigBrian7
12-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I feel like after Smith got burnt the second time and they took a little momentum back we just laid back like the game didn't matter. If you notice the second half after that trick play happened we quit hitting their receivers at the line. We just sat back and left Wes Welker pick us apart. If we get a rematch it will be a different ball game. We just have to punch in our offensive drives for touchdowns. 2 in the first half that we should of had td's plus the one where ward was stopped on 4th at the goaline. We didn't get anything there so that was 15 points we left out there. We have a team that can beat them we just can't get fooled on trick plays. But hey its better to have it happen now than in the playoffs. What else could they possibly pull out of there @$$ next time.

BlastFurnace
12-10-2007, 03:44 PM
I feel like after Smith got burnt the second time and they took a little momentum back we just laid back like the game didn't matter. If you notice the second half after that trick play happened we quit hitting their receivers at the line. We just sat back and left Wes Welker pick us apart. If we get a rematch it will be a different ball game. We just have to punch in our offensive drives for touchdowns. 2 in the first half that we should of had td's plus the one where ward was stopped on 4th at the goaline. We didn't get anything there so that was 15 points we left out there. We have a team that can beat them we just can't get fooled on trick plays. But hey its better to have it happen now than in the playoffs. What else could they possibly pull out of there @$$ next time.

I don't think they need to pull anything out of their ***....because they have beaten our *** the 3 out of the last 5 times we have played them.

Steeler in Carolina
12-10-2007, 05:56 PM
It didn't help that Smith guaranteed a victory.

sherlock
12-11-2007, 03:32 AM
I bow to your knowledge guys.......but there is far too much pessimism here!
It`s as though the Steelers are gonna be beaten before a game begins.
I`m very much an NFL rookie but in England huge upsets happen in soccer every season...if every game went on form,statistics etc, then what a dull sporting world would it would be.
Surely the Steelers are gonna be hurt by Sunday`s result and will want to come out fighting against the Jags?
I appreciate a need for realism so please bear with my naive optimism...ha!! :bouncy:
Heads Up :tt02:

geo123
12-11-2007, 08:09 AM
I bow to your knowledge guys.......but there is far too much pessimism here!
It`s as though the Steelers are gonna be beaten before a game begins.
I`m very much an NFL rookie but in England huge upsets happen in soccer every season...if every game went on form,statistics etc, then what a dull sporting world would it would be.
Surely the Steelers are gonna be hurt by Sunday`s result and will want to come out fighting against the Jags?
I appreciate a need for realism so please bear with my naive optimism...ha!! :bouncy:
Heads Up :tt02:

I don't think it's really pesimism; it's just some critisizm and fustration. I think after a day or two we'll all be supporting them. If we didn't care we wouldn't be here posting.
P.S. Nice avatar!

ytsan2q
12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I think they may have looked past the Ravens and Eagles and prepared for us in advance. The way they carved up our defense looks like it took more than 6 days of preparation. They did not play to their full potential against the Ravens and Eagles.

fansince'76
12-11-2007, 10:02 PM
....there is far too much pessimism here!

You think it's bad now? Be thankful you weren't here the week following the Jets game.

MACH1
12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
You think it's bad now? Be thankful you weren't here the week following the Jets game.

It could get a whole lot worse after this weekend. Hopefully it doesn't.

OX1947
12-12-2007, 03:30 AM
Scoring field goals killed the steelers on Sunday, if they score TDs instead of FGs, we run the entire game with them....

geo123
12-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Scoring field goals killed the steelers on Sunday, if they score TDs instead of FGs, we run the entire game with them....

Agreed, once inside the 5 we kicked a FG, another time we come away with 0. As I said I was more disssappointed in the offense.
I had figured NE would get at least 24 points, which means we had to score at least that ourselves. We didn't, the point production over the past few game has been poor. IMO if your O can't score more than 17 pts against any team it's hard to win any game and shouldn't expect to!

Rhee Rhee
12-12-2007, 06:36 PM
i think the only way the pittsburgh steelers ever have a chance to win games is NOT by setting up the run or good special teams... it's about getting pressure on the opposing QB i think if we get enough pressure on the QB our team is unstoppable no matter what...., we didnt even get a finger on brady all day... how depressing...

P.S. If anyone can find out a stat about like if we have 4+ sacks per game whats our record???