PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin calm, but not happy

revefsreleets
12-10-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm sure some of the more angry and disgruntled misanthropes will consider him somehow soft or lacking discipline or whatever, but I think this speaks volumes about the guys high level of character:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjA9otsetUVqIqLaaF5QqmE5nYcB?slug=ms-morningrush121007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – He walked slowly out of Gillette Stadium Sunday night, less than an hour removed from his worst defeat as a head coach, his team's most glaring flaws having been exposed for all the world to see. Given the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/pit/;_ylt=AmjouxFMWXAHHkTirZT7Myar0op4)' breakdowns in performance and composure in a 34-13 defeat to the New England Patriots (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nwe/;_ylt=ApBZozjQ2hUJ5wktMxbPI7ar0op4), Mike Tomlin had every right to be seething mad, perhaps even a bit despondent.
If so, the 35-year-old rookie coach did a hell of a job hiding his emotions. When asked shortly before boarding the team bus what he'd learned about his team, Tomlin answered calmly and thoughtfully: "It's more about how we respond to it – that's what will really be revealing. We know what happened (Sunday). We got out butts kicked. Now, how do we react?"
Before we tackle that issue, in the interest of closure, here are the five things I learned from the latest stop on the Patriots' "We Will Crush You" Tour:
1. So much for that blueprint for beating the Pats that the Eagles supposedly provided two weeks ago and the Ravens allegedly copied last Monday night: New England (13-0) is back to its indomitable self. The Patriots will become the second NFL team to complete an undefeated regular season, given that they, more than any team before them, care deeply about accomplishing such a feat – and their remaining opponents won't offer much resistance. First come the Jets and "Spygate" scapegoat Eric Mangini, who'll be wishing he were Alex Rodriguez by the time next Sunday's revenge-fest at Gillette is done. The following weekend the Dolphins, who'll either be 0-14 or 1-13, will come north to pay for the sins of former coach Don (Asterisk) Shula. Then the Pats are off to New Jersey for a Saturday night date with the Giants, who'll almost certainly have been locked into their No. 5 playoff seed and will wisely treat the regular-season finale as a glorified exhibition game.
ff]Tom Brady[/COLOR][/URL] will smash Peyton Manning (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4256/;_ylt=AhSrMqaDcbnzEQbrEKS03rKr0op4)'s single-season record of 49 touchdown passes. Brady has 45 (against five interceptions) with three games to play. Don't ask whether he's the MVP – duh. Ask whether this is the greatest individual season in football history.
3. Randy Moss (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4262/;_ylt=At6UkMkloPX51LJID905wASr0op4), barring injury, will break Jerry Rice (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/126/;_ylt=Alql0yXucieyV2EBhYgeDCir0op4)'s single-season record for touchdown receptions – though, with apologies to Shula, this one really does deserve as asterisk: Rice, in the strike-shortened 1987 season, caught 22 TDs in 12 games; Moss has 19 in 13, though he dropped what would have been No. 20 in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game.
4. Barring something strange, it'll be Brady and Manning, once again, battling for a Super Bowl berth on Jan. 20 in Foxborough. The Colts (11-2) were the big winners on Sunday as Indy moved two games ahead of the Steelers (9-4) in the race for the No. 2 seed in the AFC and a first-round bye.
5. Tomlin has the phattest ride in the history of his profession. (We'll get to that later.)
The Steelers may not be good enough to compete with the Patriots, and they'll probably have to beat the Colts in Indy to get another shot at doing so, but Pittsburgh, even after Sunday's disappointment, remains one of football's most upbeat franchises. That's because of Tomlin, a top candidate for Coach of the Year consideration.
The resignation of Bill Cowher last December after 15 seasons – less than a year removed from the franchise's fifth Super Bowl championship – could have ushered in an era of doubt and rebuilding. Instead Tomlin, a surprise choice of owner Dan Rooney after a deliberate coaching search, seized his opportunity and revived the Steelers with an infusion of intensity, sincerity, accountability and (though some of his players didn't reflect it Sunday) poise.
"He's cool," Rooney said Sunday night. "He handles things the right way. He's a good man. We're lucky to have him."
It's hard to criticize Cowher, a fiery leader who went 161-99-1 in regular season and playoff games and who has obvious motivational gifts. But it's clear that Steelers players – and especially Pittsburgh's franchise quarterback – have responded positively to Tomlin's obvious contrasts in style and personality.
"I just like that he doesn't yell during the game," says Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6770/;_ylt=AsUAuj_eOqJI7WI2B8.Xcbyr0op4), who was often treated like a petulant teenager during his three seasons under Cowher. "He's not a screamer or a yeller. He respects the guys, and guys respect him – especially on Sundays. If this had happened last year, we'd have been yelled at, and guys would've remembered it long after the game. But Coach Tomlin is so much more laid back than what we were used to."
Were he so inclined, Tomlin had plenty to scream about on Sunday. Twice his secondary was burned for long touchdowns, and on each occasion safety Anthony Smith (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7832/;_ylt=AiCUF9V0_.cwLWwUm_Qyp1Kr0op4) – who had set himself up for increased scrutiny by talking smack about the Patriots and their receivers last week (see below) – was completely out of position. Smith fell for a play-fake on Brady's 63-yard touchdown pass to Moss early in the second quarter and got badly fooled on the double-lateral exchange from Brady to Moss and back that preceded Brady's 56-yard scoring pass to Jabar Gaffney (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5919/;_ylt=AnsGV.f0xaNO1ebBrrq_U76r0op4) five minutes into the second half.
Think the Steelers' former coach, a legendary spitter, might have given the kid a Cowher Shower or three?
The frustration continued early in the fourth quarter, when Pittsburgh got stuffed twice on third-and-goal from the 1 against a Pats defense that has struggled in the red zone. And all game long several Steelers, including Smith, expended far too much energy getting in verbal and physical skirmishes with the ever prickly Patriots. With 1:51 remaining, reserve linebacker Arnold Harrison (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7656/;_ylt=ApgffnZZfOBNsmTHB4INdJyr0op4) got flagged for unnecessary roughness for shoving Tedy Bruschi (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3571/;_ylt=AkJnnQLiX8xB6tDAJoK_U5Cr0op4) from behind on a punt return – not the classiest way of coping with defeat.
Any misgivings Tomlin had about such behavior were mitigated by the competitive fire behind it. "I don't want to be around guys who enjoy losing," he said.
Monday, when he breaks down film with his team, Tomlin, as is his custom, will be blunt and honest and will spare no one his criticism. But, as was not always the case with Cowher, Tomlin's players will be convinced he's speaking from the heart, rather than being driven by ego or image.
"He's straight-up," linebacker Clark Haggans (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5166/;_ylt=AuRclv4uhPKFzv0LG4cidJOr0op4) says of Tomlin. "When he got the job, there was all that talk about how young he is, but he has that special quality that inspires players. He's the same whether we win or lose, and he doesn't sugarcoat anything; he has none of that in his blood. What you see is what you get. I dig him. I really like his style. I think he's cool as hell."
How cool? Well, when players see Tomlin cruise into the parking lot at the team's training facility, their brainy boss is sometimes behind the wheel of a Dodge Charger. "A souped-up Charger," Haggans says. "With rims."
Quick, call the producers of "Pimp My Ride."
Surely, this makes Tomlin the coolest coach in NFL history.
"Naw, man," he said, smiling broadly. "It just means I've got rims on my ride."
He headed out of the stadium to rejoin his team. Then he stopped and turned back to add a final thought.
" Cool is winning."

fansince'76
12-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Here, Jeremy, I'll save you the trouble - "Fire the bum! He sucks!"

TackleMeBen
12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
fire the whole coaching staff and trade the whole team for a new one.. is that better?? lol

stillers4me
12-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I think Tomlin has other ways of getting his point across than Cowher did. And the guys respect him for that because he treats them like men instead of rebellious teenagers. (He's even won Faneca over ....no easy task). This year has gone very well for a first year coach who was stepping into huge shoes............shoes worn not only by Bill Cowher but still had the scent of Chuck Noll in them. And the car.....very cool!

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Here, Jeremy, I'll save you the trouble - "Fire the bum! He sucks!"

He needs to learn how to go to Plan B when Plan A blows up in his face. Look at the really good coaches in the league right now and you'll see that most of them know how to do that. Tomlin hasn't learned how yet. Hopefully he will.

Avoid LLoyd1975
12-10-2007, 09:59 AM
I stopped reading at..."FOXBOROUGH, Mass"

TackleMeBen
12-10-2007, 10:00 AM
we all know that ben doesnt respond well when being yelled at... lol
there are other ways of getting your point across besides yelling and getting the face of somone. i like that tomlin is calm.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Ben still taking shots at Cowher

Ben, just let it go

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Ben still taking shots at Cowher

Ben, just let it go

Did anyone see Keyshawn Johnson when he was talking about the TO/Parcells spat on GameDay? He said TO needs to leave it alone because he's never going to win against Parcells. Same thing applies here. Saint Ben will never win against Cowher. He needs to leave it alone and focus on the task at hand.

stillers4me
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Just because he's calm doesn't mean his words aren't effective. This team is responding well to him and he is learning the job by the phase "baptism by fire." Tomlin is no dummy.........and with each loss, he is learning. (all whopping 4 of them) I have no doubt this is going to one very dangerous man in a very short time.

We're 9-4, people. Get a grip.

TackleMeBen
12-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Just because he's calm doesn't mean his words aren't effective. This team is responding well to him and he is learning the job by the phase "baptism by fire." Tomlin is no dummy.........and with each loss, he is learning. (all whopping 4 of them) I have no doubt this is going to one very dangerous man in a very short time.

:iagree: very well said stillers:thumbsup:

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 10:10 AM

2-4 on the road. That is serious cause for concern if anyone is thinking of a long playoff run.

stillers4me
12-10-2007, 10:12 AM
2-4 on the road. That is serious cause for concern if anyone is thinking of a long playoff run.

And for some people, the glass is always half empty.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 10:13 AM

9-4 is nice, but I'm a realist. Pittsburgh will have to go on the road if they want to win the AFC. Those 4 road losses are a cause for concern.

The_WARDen
12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Well, as long as Ben feels good..that's all that matters.

:banging:

The_WARDen
12-10-2007, 10:15 AM

It's not half empty when you are playing at least 2 games on the road if you want to get to the SB. The 7-0 at Heinz field won't mean squat then.

geo123
12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
There has to be an between. Cowher was ilittle too emotional, but Tomlin doesn't show enough.

stillers4me
12-10-2007, 10:49 AM
There has to be an between. Cowher was ilittle too emotional, but Tomlin doesn't show enough.

What does it matter????????? All that Cowher's spit and rage got us was one world championship. (and I'll take it!)

I'd be willing to bet that if the Rooney's announced that Tony Dungy was hired for HC next year, that champagne corks would be flying all over Pittsburgh. :dang:

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 11:37 AM

I wish they were 13-0 but given the talent on this team and the transition to a new coach it is hard to claim this team is disappointing.

I had the Steelers going 10-6 in preseason.

Anyone who expected (as opposed to hoped for) a long playoff run preseason was dreaming.

As long as the Steelers win the division they will get a home playoff game. IMO that is a successful season on which to build for the future.

stillers4me
12-10-2007, 11:41 AM
I wish they were 13-0 but given the talent on this team and the transition to a new coach it is hard to claim this team is disappointing.

I had the Steelers going 10-6 in preseason.

Anyone who expected (as opposed to hoped for) a long playoff run preseason was dreaming.

As long as the Steelers win the division they will get a home playoff game. IMO that is a successful season on which to build for the future.

APPLAUSE!

Here's to the future.....and a damned good start to the Tomlin era! :cheers:

chrismartin99
12-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I've accepted the fact that the Patsies are going to win the Super Bowl, just like I was prepared for a loss last night. The media has these clowns so talked up about going undefeated this year it makes me want to jab ice picks into my ears everytime I turn on ESPN.

How soon everyone forgets about the cheating scandal. If the Steelers were involved in something like that, we would never hear the end of it, but of course, we're not the NFL doll babies like the Pats are. Tom Brady could murder his first born, but it would be cool as long as he hit crackhead Moss for a couple of long ones.

I'm impressed with Tomlin and I'm sure we'll do good the rest of the season, but as far as the Super Bowl goes...well, at least Belicheat won't have to dress up like a four year old going outside to build a snowman with his female ear warmers and Michelin Man jacket when he's in Phoenix. We'll get em' next year.

Dino 6 Rings
12-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Dino 5 Rings, Calm but not happy.

We got burned deep against a team we knew was going to throw deep.

We ran for over 100 yards and didn't win.

Zero Sacks.

Not Happy at all. I am not convinced the Pats are going to win it all. Their defense is still slow and old. There are 3 more regular season games, plus playoffs left. Nothing can be "taken for granted."

Next up. Jags.

Dino 6 Rings
12-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Get into the playoffs, then anything is Possible...Remember 05.

chrismartin99
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
This isn't the 05' team. Not playing with that emotion to win like they were for Cowher and Bettis, but yes, anything is possible.

chrismartin99
12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Dino 5 Rings, Calm but not happy.

We got burned deep against a team we knew was going to throw deep.

We ran for over 100 yards and didn't win.

Zero Sacks.

Not Happy at all. I am not convinced the Pats are going to win it all. Their defense is still slow and old. There are 3 more regular season games, plus playoffs left. Nothing can be "taken for granted."

Next up. Jags.

The Pats play 3 joke teams and they won't choke against the Jets like our dumba**es did. Sorry, the Dolphins won't beat them and Eli Manning and the Giants are a bunch of chumps. I'm not talking the Pats up, I'm just being a realist.

Dino 6 Rings
12-10-2007, 12:28 PM
It doesn't have to be the 05 team. But a lot of fans out there are acting like the 05 fans when we were 7-5. "Its over, give it to the Colts, we are done for. Poor Bettis."

EF THAT NOISE!

I say, prep for the Jags, punch them in the face and kick them in the throat, then move on. Get into the Playoffs and then unleash the hellfire and brimstone that this team, this Very Talented Team is capable of unleashing.

I will not accept Giving Up on the year until the Final Whistle blows of the final game and we come off the field for the final time in 07/08. That my friends, is how it is in the house of the FIVE TIME Superbowl Champions.

Dino 6 Rings
12-10-2007, 12:30 PM
So we lost to the Pats, and the Pats are a great Passing Team, so what. Anything can happen come the "2nd Season" and that is all we need to worry about. Getting into the next season.

That's it. There is nothing else. I'm happy this game is passed us, that our D-backs are now eating Crow and a little Humble pie and we can focus on the task at hand, which is nothing more than Getting Into the Playoffs.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 04:03 PM
This isn't the 05' team. Not playing with that emotion to win like they were for Cowher and Bettis, but yes, anything is possible.

And we all saw that fire and emotion with the '05 team after the December loss to the Bengals at Heinz, didn't we?

There still is a long way to go. Before yesterday, the Steelers were looking at needing to win a home first round playoff game and then probably needing to beat Indy & the Pats the next 2 weekends.

Unless the Steelers somehow lose the division that has not changed.

Dino 6 Rings
12-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Get into the dance, then begin the run.

moedap
12-10-2007, 04:44 PM
I knew the Steelers were going to lose this game. It was scripted by the NFL. They want to see New England play Miami. Miami will be 0-14 and N.E will be 14-0. The storyline will be can Miami win to ensure it doesnt go the whole season winless and can N.E. win to go undefeated.

Miami wins in a shocker! Watch

BlastFurnace
12-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I knew the Steelers were going to lose this game. It was scripted by the NFL. They want to see New England play Miami. Miami will be 0-14 and N.E will be 14-0. The storyline will be can Miami win to ensure it doesnt go the whole season winless and can N.E. win to go undefeated.

Miami wins in a shocker! Watch

C'mon man. New England winning this game had nothing to do with the NFL. They didn't get any calls this game that gave them any decided advantage.

The Patriots are better than the Steelers...plain and simple. They knew our weaknesses and exploited them. If you remember, the long pass to Deion Branch in the 2004 Championship Game...after the game, Brady said they knew that Polamalu inched toward the line of scrimmage and that Branch would be open down the middle of the field because there would be no safety help. Well....guess what...the Steelers safeties are still doing the same thing. They knew it and took advantage of it.

Brady is spectacular. He knows our defense probably better than any QB that has played us since McNair was in his prime...and it shows too.

Got to give credit where credit is due. The Patriots are much better than us right now.

Dino 6 Rings
12-10-2007, 05:04 PM
I think that isn't the NFL doing it...that's the "Football Gods"

You know...the same Gods that made us all get humble really quick in 05 when Bettis fumbled at the 1, but then allowed Ben to make a never should have happened tackle. And the same gods that opened a window in the Indy Dome and let a breeze in to ensure that the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL (look it up) missed a game tying field goal.

Those gods want to see the 0-14 Dolphins vs the 14-0 Pats. And then, it will be what it will be.

I pray to the Football Gods. I may be considered an Infidel, a Pagan, a Worshipper of the False Idol, but I've seen way too many Football Gods moments in my life to not respect them and allow them to let happen what is meant to happen.

2 interceptions in the Superbowl by the most Efficient Passer in the history of football to the same guy to allow the Cowboys to win the superbowl but also allow anyone that actually took the Steelers and the Points to win in Vegas.

Football Gods work.

lotas
12-10-2007, 05:06 PM

I agree. This may sound silly but, you know who Tomlin reminds me of? Coach Boone from Remember The Titans, Denzel's character. I think there's many parallels in their coaching, more on the calm side, but disciplined and blunt. Nothing too fancy.

incredible movie by the way

lotas
12-10-2007, 05:09 PM
I think that isn't the NFL doing it...that's the "Football Gods"

You know...the same Gods that made us all get humble really quick in 05 when Bettis fumbled at the 1, but then allowed Ben to make a never should have happened tackle. And the same gods that opened a window in the Indy Dome and let a breeze in to ensure that the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL (look it up) missed a game tying field goal.

Those gods want to see the 0-14 Dolphins vs the 14-0 Pats. And then, it will be what it will be.

I pray to the Football Gods. I may be considered an Infidel, a Pagan, a Worshipper of the False Idol, but I've seen way too many Football Gods moments in my life to not respect them and allow them to let happen what is meant to happen.

2 interceptions in the Superbowl by the most Efficient Passer in the history of football to the same guy to allow the Cowboys to win the superbowl but also allow anyone that actually took the Steelers and the Points to win in Vegas.

Football Gods work.
I couldn't leave this alone without responding, because that is so true, so, so true. Great examples by the way, and I hope you're right about the Pats and Dolphins.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 05:48 PM
New England won because Pittsburgh's coaching staff could or wouldn't make any halftime adjustments.

Dynasty
12-10-2007, 05:57 PM
i do agree with you... but the thing was, when you're down by 4 at the end of the half against a 12-0 team, you begin to think that you are doing well enough not to need any significant adjustments.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 06:05 PM
i do agree with you... but the thing was, when you're down by 4 at the end of the half against a 12-0 team, you begin to think that you are doing well enough not to need any significant adjustments.

That would have been foolish. I really hope a rookie head coach didn't think he needed to make adjustments to beat the best head coach in all of football.

hellbread
12-10-2007, 06:58 PM
That would have been foolish. I really hope a rookie head coach didn't think he needed to make adjustments to beat the best head coach in all of football.

bb...the best head coach. it couldnt be that he has 3 #1 recievers at his disposal? a solid o line? look he was crap in cleveland. u could put arians as the hc of new england and he would do well.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 07:02 PM
bb...the best head coach. it couldnt be that he has 3 #1 recievers at his disposal? a solid o line? look he was crap in cleveland. u could put arians as the hc of new england and he would do well.

BB won with garbage wide recievers and retreads at running back..

He's the best coach in football hands down. Tomlin has a long way to go to be an average NFL coach.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 08:29 PM
New England won because Pittsburgh's coaching staff could or wouldn't make any halftime adjustments.

Yeah - Brady had nothing to do with it

He is just a cog in the machine - Trent Dilfer would have the same QB rating with that team

They were down 14-3 and lucky to be down 17-13 at the half - it was more than adjustments

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah - Brady had nothing to do with it

He is just a cog in the machine - Trent Dilfer would have the same QB rating with that team

They were down 14-3 and lucky to be down 17-13 at the half - it was more than adjustments

Excuses...excuses...excuses.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Excuses...excuses...excuses.

What?

I am saying it was more than the coaches - that is not an excuse.

In another thread you were claiming "Saint Ben" was to blame then changed to blaming the coaches - make up your mind.

I have given up on replying to your posts - maybe you bet the mortgage on the Steelers getting 10 & 1/2, maybe you get depressed around the holidays, maybe you just enjoy trolling. I do not know and do not care.

Welcome to my ignore list. Hopefully you adjust your meds or otherwise get a grip, but for whatever reason you have been channeling the spirit of Nigel today.

Happy Holidays:cheers:

Preacher
12-11-2007, 02:14 AM
What?

I am saying it was more than the coaches - that is not an excuse.

In another thread you were claiming "Saint Ben" was to blame then changed to blaming the coaches - make up your mind.

I have given up on replying to your posts - maybe you bet the mortgage on the Steelers getting 10 & 1/2, maybe you get depressed around the holidays, maybe you just enjoy trolling. I do not know and do not care.

Welcome to my ignore list. Hopefully you adjust your meds or otherwise get a grip, but for whatever reason you have been channeling the spirit of Nigel today.

Happy Holidays:cheers:

:sofunny:

revefsreleets
12-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Another satisfied customer. Jeremy spreads cheer and goodwill across internet message boards wherever he roams.