PDA

View Full Version : vick gets 23 months

verks36
12-10-2007, 11:04 AM
RICHMOND, Va. -- Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison Monday for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy.

Federal sentencing guidelines suggested a year to 18 months.

The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback also received three years' probation at his sentencing before U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson.

With nearly a month already served, going by Hudson's sentencing, Vick would be scheduled for release in October 2009.

thoughts?

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 11:08 AM
The example has been made.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
He'll never play in the NFL again.

He's also got State of Virginia charges agaisnt him, and I doubt that the state will give time served.

TackleMeBen
12-10-2007, 11:12 AM
i am surprised that he got that long. usually with athletes and stars they get off with a slap on the wrist. glad to see that some people in the judical system arent blinded by stars and athletes.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 11:15 AM
i am surprised that he got that long. usually with athletes and stars they get off with a slap on the wrist. glad to see that some people in the judical system arent blinded by stars and athletes.

Federal vs state justice systems. This isn't some Colorado court when athletes are given a free pass on all kinds of crime, including rape. This was a no nonsense federal court where they don't take gambling lightly. This was done the way it would have been done if what some nobody doing the exact same thing.

PisnNapalm
12-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.... Hey Vick! Don't drop the soap.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.... Hey Vick! Don't drop the soap.

Vick is going to be a big time mark in prison. He'd better find someone to watch his back is he wants to play in the NFL again.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Prosecutors initially had recommended 12 months; will be interested to read if they changed that recommendation after Vick's post-plea conduct. My bet is Judge Hudson found Vick to be the ringleader/bankroller and was not pleased by the post-plea pot smoking.

No stories I have seen yet on what went down in court today.

He cannot return to the NFL until 2010 - he may play pro ball, but it will be in Canada or for some NFL wannabe competitor.

Good riddance

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Prosecutors initially had recommended 12 months; will be interested to read if they changed that recommendation after Vick's post-plea conduct. My bet is Judge Hudson found Vick to be the ringleader/bankroller and was not pleased by the post-plea pot smoking.

No stories I have seen yet on what went down in court today.

He cannot return to the NFL until 2010 - he may play pro ball, but it will be in Canada or for some NFL wannabe competitor.

Good riddance

He'll play in the NFL. The Ravens are already clearing cap room for him.

PisnNapalm
12-10-2007, 12:01 PM
If Vinnie Testeverde is still playing in the NFL, then Vick will end up playing again. The one thing I can say for sure is that he'll never wear a Steelers uniform.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-10-2007, 12:49 PM
If Vinnie Testeverde is still playing in the NFL, then Vick will end up playing again. The one thing I can say for sure is that he'll never wear a Steelers uniform.

Vinnie still plays because at one point he was at least a decent QB. Vick hasn'r proven to be that even.

Jman
12-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Vinnie still plays because at one point he was at least a decent QB. Vick hasn't proven to be that even.

:iagree:

fansince'76
12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
If Vinnie Testeverde is still playing in the NFL, then Vick will end up playing again.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. Some team is going to be stupid enough to give him another chance.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Well the Feds initially had recommended 12 months under the plea agreement, but after the prosecutors and Judge Hudson got fed up with Vick minimizing his responsibility and toking he lost acceptance of responsibility and doubled that sentence to 23 months.

Under Vick's plea agreement reached in August, he faced a potential sentence of between 12-18 months in prison but after finding Vick had not accepted responsibility, Hudson said his new guideline range was 18-24 months. Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Gill asked Hudson to sentence Vick at the high end of that range.

Vick's role was as serious as any other defendants in this case, Gill told Hudson. He funded the operation and used friends who were "dangerous" and "predisposed" to commit criminal acts Gill said.

"The only thing that makes them more dangerous is unlimited money," Gill said.

Vick initially denied personally killing any animals and told authorities that Phillips and Peace drown and hanged the dogs. But after prosecutors confronted Vick that his co-defendants said Vick played a more hands-on role in executing the dogs, Vick was given an FBI-administered polygraph test in October. An agent found that Vick was being deceptive. After the end of a five-hour interview, Vick broke down,his defense attorney, Billy Martin, told Hudson.

"If you want me to admit it, I did it all," Vick said, according to Martin. "I did everything."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/12/10/vick_1211.html

What a complete fool:dang: Never lie to the Justice Department (unless you know someone who can commute your sentence) or you will burn for it.

On a side note, Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin wrote a letter to the Court on Vick's behalf. Glad to see the Mayor play to her base as Atlanta's ugly racial politics continue to boil away..

fansince'76
12-10-2007, 01:09 PM
On a side note, Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin wrote a letter to the Court on Vick's behalf. Glad to see the Mayor play to her base as Atlanta's ugly racial politics continue to boil away..

Doesn't she have bigger fish to fry anyway? Like, say, a severe water shortage? :dang:

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Doesn't she have bigger fish to fry anyway? Like, say, a severe water shortage? :dang:

Or police coverups of crimes to make their crime stats look nicer.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Or police coverups of crimes to make their crime stats look nicer.

Forget coverups of reporting crimes - a number of the Atlanta PD's finest pleaded guilty this year to killing an innocent 90 year old woman in an attempted drug bust gone way bad that was based upon a fraudulen search warrant for a house with no drugs in it.

touchdownward
12-10-2007, 01:47 PM
He got a lot longer sentence that I thought he was going to get.

Just goes to show you, never lie to the Feds. Paying attention Barry???

rbryan
12-10-2007, 02:46 PM
That will make 3 years out of the game by the time he's allowed to return. He's done. Canada........MAYBE......No way he gets another shot in the NFL.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 02:54 PM
That will make 3 years out of the game by the time he's allowed to return. He's done. Canada........MAYBE......No way he gets another shot in the NFL.

He gets some good time credits and might be able to try to get back in mid-season 2009.

But there is no way he stays in shape by working out in the prison weight room.

Some CFL team will sign him but his whole game was speed & that will be gone.

MACH1
12-10-2007, 02:55 PM

He'll get another shot a playing in the nfl. Look at how many chances ricky williams had.

CantStop85
12-10-2007, 03:45 PM
He'll get another shot a playing in the nfl. Look at how many chances ricky williams had.

Yep, Vick will get another shot in the NFL, maybe not as a QB, maybe more as a running back or wide receiver or utility player. He's too dynamic of an athlete for a team to not at least give him a chance.

HometownGal
12-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm glad he's going to do time, even if he more than likely will be segregated from the rest of the inmates.

I think he'll try to get back into the NFL and some hard-up team will take a chance on him. I know it won't be the Steelers, so honestly - I don't care where he goes.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Yep, Vick will get another shot in the NFL, maybe not as a QB, maybe more as a running back or wide receiver or utility player. He's too dynamic of an athlete for a team to not at least give him a chance.

That may be its own punishment. Getting hit as a RB WR or return man rather than as a coddled QB is a different solar system of hurt.

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2007, 04:19 PM

Not to mention with the fins.

I think he should have gotten the max. This just ridiculous.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Not to mention with the fins.

I think he should have gotten the max. This just ridiculous.

He lost acceptance of responsibility credit under the Sentencing Guideines after pleading guilty and then was sentenced at the high end of the advisory Guidelines range, getting twice the sentence he thought would be recommended under the original plea agreement.

For this type of crime this is a tough sentence - the stautory as oppposed to Guidelines max is rarely given. Judge Hudson and the prosecutors hammered Vick.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Vick will play again in the NFL just hasn't been paying attention to how bad the quarterbacking is in the NFL.

Steeler in Carolina
12-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Now, hopefully Vick will go away and out of the papers.

The Duke
12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Am I the only one that thinks he should have been given more than 23 months?

I guess it's just based on personal opinion, but I hate that guy more than I have ever hated the ravens or bengals.

And why doesn't goodell just ban him already permanently from the league to keep us from thinking he'll be back.

Just let that idiot rot in jail!

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Vick will play again in the NFL just hasn't been paying attention to how bad the quarterbacking is in the NFL.

He may want to go CFL or even AFL for a year or two just to get his legs back under him.

SteelerFan091472
12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Am I the only one that thinks he should have been given more than 23 months?

No, if he did the same thing to human beings that he did to these animals, he would be getting life in prison or in some states, the death penalty.

The Duke
12-10-2007, 09:56 PM
No, if he did the same thing to human beings that he did to these animals, he would be getting life in prison or in some states, the death penalty.

to me a living thing is a living thing, whether it is an animal or a human.

but well, I guess that won't change any time soon

for now....

Enjoy prison Vick!

:banging:

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 10:04 PM
He wasn't given such a long sentence because of dog fighting, He was given such a long setence because he transported them across state lines for the purpose of illegally betting on them.

SteelerFan091472
12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
to me a living thing is a living thing, whether it is an animal or a human.

but well, I guess that won't change any time soon

for now....

Enjoy prison Vick!

:banging:

I agree. I would've preferred he'd gotten 23 years instead of 23 months.

Borski
12-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Longer then I expected him to get, but I am glad he got it. But I dont think we have seen the last of them...unless the Bengals and Ravens are no longer in existence there will be a home for him.

klick81
12-12-2007, 11:18 AM
He'll play in the NFL. The Ravens are already clearing cap room for him.

I've been thinking the same exact thing. He would be a great fit there. Now they can have a con on BOTH sides of the field!

Rhee Rhee
12-13-2007, 09:28 PM
2 years... thats just mean

Atlanta Dan
12-13-2007, 09:51 PM
2 years... thats just mean

How?

If anyone wants a chuckle, read through this link to Vick's hand-printed letter pleading for mercy to Judge Hudson, which includes such gems as: Vick The Family Man describing how the mother of his 3 kids is his "soon to be fiance" (bet?); Vick describing jail as "no place for me"; and Vick saying he got baked after his guilty plea becuase his father tried to shake him down for money.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/ajc/pdf/vickletters/vick1.pdf?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I really don't see what all the hoopla is about. IMO Vick didn't do anything wrong. Dogfighting laws are totally stupid. I don't understand how it's any different than hunting. If anything he should have gotten a few months probation and a small fine.

I thought about buying and training a fighting dog, but since the feds wanna get in our private business I decided not to. Hopefully we will see Vick get out early and back in the NFL.

This may be the most asanine, stupid comment ever made in this forum...congratulations chowderhead.

fansince'76
01-05-2008, 12:00 PM
This may be the most asanine, stupid comment ever made in this forum...congratulations chowderhead.

He's one in the same person as the "Bobby Socks" d*ckhead that was here defending him months ago, and he just met with the same fate.:banned: :coffee:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 12:02 PM
He's one in the same person as the "Bobby Socks" d*ckhead that was here defending him months ago, and he just met with the same fate.:banned: :coffee:

LOL...you the man!!!:thumbsup:

fansince'76
01-05-2008, 12:28 PM
If anyone wants a chuckle, read through this link to Vick's hand-printed letter pleading for mercy to Judge Hudson, which includes such gems as: Vick The Family Man describing how the mother of his 3 kids is his "soon to be fiance" (bet?); Vick describing jail as "no place for me"; and Vick saying he got baked after his guilty plea becuase his father tried to shake him down for money.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/ajc/pdf/vickletters/vick1.pdf?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Didn't see this post before this morning's garbage cleanup, but I definitely got a good chuckle out of the letter. :toofunny:

The Duke
01-05-2008, 12:35 PM
I hadn't seen MacDaddyo's comment.

Good thing I didn't, cause if I had responded I'll probably get banned for it

Thanks for taking out the trash!

The Duke
01-07-2008, 09:51 PM
you gotta be freakin kidding me.....

Vick enters drug treatment program at Kansas prison

The residential drug treatment programs at Bureau of Prisons institutions take place in units set apart from the general prison population, lasting at least 500 hours over six to 12 months, according to Bureau of Prisons policy.

Upon successful completion of the program, nonviolent offenders may be granted up to one year of early release.

This is just outrageous. justice system strikes again :dang:

If Vick was granted early release, he could be ready to play in the 2009 football season,

What team would take this idiot back? the bungles maybe... :dang:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3185291

Preacher
01-08-2008, 12:02 AM
you gotta be freakin kidding me.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3185291

You know. If he truly has a drug problem, then I am very happy for this situation. If he works each of the 12 steps, and is serious, he will be a very different person when he comes out.

However, if it is a ploy, it will also come out... and there will be no mercy for him then.

The Duke
01-08-2008, 12:31 AM
You know. If he truly has a drug problem, then I am very happy for this situation. If he works each of the 12 steps, and is serious, he will be a very different person when he comes out.

However, if it is a ploy, it will also come out... and there will be no mercy for him then.

makes me think, he was tested for marijuana during september, right around the time he was still not sentenced, so somebody( a dirty lawyer or something like that) may have told him this was a way for him to get out sooner. and you know what, I think that's exactly what happened. hopefully I'm wrong though

I just don't want this scumbag back in the NFL. if he serves his given sentence that's ok, but when the time comes Goodell has to make the smart choice not to damege the image of the NFL anymore

Preacher
01-08-2008, 02:14 AM
makes me think, he was tested for marijuana during september, right around the time he was still not sentenced, so somebody( a dirty lawyer or something like that) may have told him this was a way for him to get out sooner. and you know what, I think that's exactly what happened. hopefully I'm wrong though

I just don't want this scumbag back in the NFL. if he serves his given sentence that's ok, but when the time comes Goodell has to make the smart choice not to damege the image of the NFL anymore

I don't know. He has done his time. As much as I hate what he did, I have a hard time telling him he can't go back to his chosen profession if his actions did not directly affect the game.

However, if there is a rule on the books that says, if you have been convicted of a felony, you are fired... then he is gone, and I have no problem with it.

Again, that is my issues, I don't like making rules after the crime, and then making the person pay for it.

On the issue of his lawyer telling him what to do... well, yeah. I would completely agree with you.

lilyoder6
01-08-2008, 11:14 AM
but the stupd thing is he's not going to prison for drugs.. so they shouldn't allow him to enter the program.. he'll do it get a yr off his sent.. and by the time he's done with the program he'll be done with his sent of only 11 months...

Rhee Rhee
01-11-2008, 02:54 AM
in my opinion just a little bit harsh... 23 months is like two years.. thats jeez..

The Duke
01-11-2008, 03:23 AM
in my opinion just a little bit harsh... 23 months is like two years.. thats jeez..

imo, the man's a murderer. he organized illegal dog fights. If it was my decision he would be in jail for life( I know it's too much but that's just the way I feel).

dogs are living beings, and the way vick treated them is no reason to feel bad for him staying just 2 years of his miserable life in jail

Rhee Rhee
01-13-2008, 04:01 AM
imo, the man's a murderer. he organized illegal dog fights. If it was my decision he would be in jail for life( I know it's too much but that's just the way I feel).

dogs are living beings, and the way vick treated them is no reason to feel bad for him staying just 2 years of his miserable life in jail

i guess ur rite... but i've never had the pleasure of even like walking a dog...i guess that's the way i feel

sherlock
01-13-2008, 04:19 AM
I think you have to be a bit twisted to enjoy such a "sport".

Hell, they`ve banned fox-hunting in jolly old England! :cheer:

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2008, 09:20 AM

That is within the sentencing range under the advisory provisions of the U.S. Sentencing Commission Guidelines for the offense to which Vick pleaded guilty - a within Guidelines range sentence is presumptively reasonable under Supreme Court precedent.

Defendants can and do get sentences above the Guidelines range by federal judges when they test positive for drugs and breach their plea agreement by lying to agents & prosecutors after a guilty plea is entered. Vick is lucky he did not gt tmore time for his post-guilty plea misconduct.

touchdownward
01-13-2008, 09:43 AM
I think you have to be a bit twisted to enjoy such a "sport".

Hell, they`ve banned fox-hunting in jolly old England! :cheer:

What in bloody 'ell were they thinking?:wink02:

sherlock
01-15-2008, 12:11 AM
What in bloody 'ell were they thinking?:wink02:

Quite touchdownward !!!.....it`s a bloody disgrace!
Why,I used to like nothing better than hacking across the country in my lovely red coat ,chasing the beastly fox....and seeing it get torn limb from limb....happy days indeed!!!......bloody lefties! :sofunny:

Boss Smiley
02-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Vick did the crime, and now he's doing the time. I don't see a problem with Vick
being allowed to return to the NFL once his sentence is completed. As long as he stays out of trouble, he's cool in my book.

fansince'76
02-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Vick did the crime, and now he's doing the time. I don't see a problem with Vick
being allowed to return to the NFL once his sentence is completed. As long as he stays out of trouble, he's cool in my book.

Hey, it's the Pats* "fan" from Columbus, OH. Yeah, I'm sure you have no problem with criminals - after all you went from the Bengals' bandwagon to the Pats*. :coffee:

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2008, 04:54 PM

IMO "Boss Smiley" throws chum in the water to attract attacks - nobody could actually be this ignorant.

I recommend he be ignored.

Boss Smiley
02-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I hope Michael Vick comes back to the NFL and joins the Patriots. He would add a whole new dimension to our offense. Vick and Brady would be a hell of a 2 quarterback system.

tony hipchest
02-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I hope Michael Vick comes back to the NFL and joins the Patriots. He would add a whole new dimension to our offense. Vick and Brady would be a hell of a 2 quarterback system.damn, the patriots would be scary with that upgrade at qb!

brady could go back to his natural position- holder for placekicks.

NJarhead
02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
I hope Michael Vick comes back to the NFL and joins the Patriots. He would add a whole new dimension to our offense. Vick and Brady would be a hell of a 2 quarterback system.

Who has ever heard of a "2 quarterback system?????" How's the weather on Planet Crack-Head? I'm guessing it's cloudy and shrouded in fog.

Boss Smiley
02-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Who has ever heard of a "2 quarterback system?????" How's the weather on Planet Crack-Head? I'm guessing it's cloudy and shrouded in fog.

No one. It's called thinking outside the box. Think about it you can put Brady and Vick both on the field, Brady can throw the ball to Vick, who can then throw it back to Brady. He would come in handy for those flea-flickers you seem to have trouble stopping. We can also sit Brady and have Vick take over at times, creating an element of surprise.

And FYI I only smoke marijuana.

fansince'76
02-15-2008, 09:59 PM
No one. It's called thinking outside the box. Think about it you can put Brady and Vick both on the field, Brady can throw the ball to Vick, who can then throw it back to Brady. He would come in handy for those flea-flickers you seem to have trouble stopping. We can also sit Brady and have Vick take over at times, creating an element of surprise.

ROFLMAO! That explains a LOT. How many bong hits you take before you start your nightly ritual of kicking ass on Madden '07 Franchise Mode, eh, duuuuude? :smoker: :crazy01:

polamalu82
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Vick will most likely never be a QB again. QB's are the poster boys for a team. I don't think there's a team in the league that would want that kind of controversy.

NJarhead
02-15-2008, 10:39 PM

In all seriousness, you haven't been watching FB for very long..., and there's nothing wrong with that. We all started at some point. The thing is, Vick will not be worth the price just for trick plays. The flea flicker is run with the RB and Brady/Moss have already had a WR Toss Back that went deep this year....unfortunately... and that's all I have to say about that.

Boss Smiley
02-16-2008, 11:28 PM
In all seriousness, you haven't been watching FB for very long..., and there's nothing wrong with that. We all started at some point. The thing is, Vick will not be worth the price just for trick plays. The flea flicker is run with the RB and Brady/Moss have already had a WR Toss Back that went deep this year....unfortunately... and that's all I have to say about that.

Vick can also run the ball and be used as a receiver. With him being in prison for dogfighting most teams won't touch him, and the Pats are the only team smart enough to pick him up at a bargain price. Just look at Randy Moss. We care about winning more than the opinions of fans, so I can very well see this happening. I think Vick deserves a second chance, it's not like he's a killer or rapist. Yeah yeah, dogfighting, whatever. IMO dogfighting is no different than cage fighting, except it's with the use of dogs instead of people. I think Vick is a good guy that just got mixed up with bad people.

fansince'76
02-16-2008, 11:54 PM
We care about winning more than the opinions of fans....

Not to mention the integrity of the game as a whole, but that doesn't keep 'tards like you from bitching and moaning when your cheating POS team gets deservedly drug through the mud because of it. Funny how that works. :yawn:

The Duke
02-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Vick can also run the ball and be used as a receiver. With him being in prison for dogfighting most teams won't touch him, and the Pats are the only team smart enough to pick him up at a bargain price. Just look at Randy Moss. We care about winning more than the opinions of fans, so I can very well see this happening. I think Vick deserves a second chance, it's not like he's a killer or rapist. Yeah yeah, dogfighting, whatever. IMO dogfighting is no different than cage fighting, except it's with the use of dogs instead of people. I think Vick is a good guy that just got mixed up with bad people.

are you serious about vick? I mean, even if your team was as good as their records and super bowls indicate :puke: they wouldn't need vick, he sucks and is more of a asshole than the patriots organization altogether

Rhee Rhee
02-17-2008, 12:36 AM

i remember way back some team used a 2-QB system to get them to the superbowl i think it was the rams when they played against us in the superbowl way back...

fansince'76
02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
i remember way back some team used a 2-QB system to get them to the superbowl i think it was the rams when they played against us in the superbowl way back...

No, Pat Haden was injured and Vince Ferragamo started against us in SB XIV, but make no mistake about it, Haden was the Rams' starting QB and Ferragamo was most definitely the backup. By '81, Ferragamo was playing in the CFL. There's never been a SB team that had a 2-QB system in the sense that 2 QBs shared the starting job and took an equal amount of reps as the other - there has always been a clear delineation between who was the starter and who was the backup. Boss Smiley (or BS for short, how appropriate) has been playing too much Madden on the X-Box.

NJarhead
02-19-2008, 06:42 PM

Between "Spygate 1", "Spygate II - the Sequal" and the loss to the 12 point underdog and current SB XLII Champion New York Football Giants, the New England Patriots have two big black eyes and a sore groin. If they didn't care about the opinions of ALL PEOPLE ASSOCIATED with the NFL (Fans included), I think they will now. Signing Vick would only serve to vilianize them even further. Like I said, and this is not a blow to your ego, I don't think you've been a football fan for very long. Suggestions like this one make that easy to see.