PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Scheme against the Pats

rowedf
12-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I thought the Steelers did a few good things against the pats to get pressure on Brady. Although we didn't sack him, we did make him make some bad throws. Unfortunately, he had many more good ones. The problem I had was in the 3rd quarter when you obviously saw them get into a zone throwing to Welcher....why were the Steelers not on top of the slot man when they were obviously running the same 3-5 plays over and over again ?? Welcher's man was 8 or 9 yards deep on every play and they would just snap the ball and throw it to him. I can see it happening a couple times, but 5 in a row is disgusting. Finally, I think it was Harrison who stepped outside and got right in his face and Brady called a time out. Was that adlib from Harrison, because Farrior and him kept looking at each other before the timeout was called. What took so long to figure that out ? Wouldn't jamming the slot man or one of the split ends that were running the interference stop the Brady to Welcher show ?

FAB802
12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I know we had guys with opportunities to hit Brady and they didn't do it. I'm not talking about dirty late hits either. If you knock him to the ground a few times he is nowhere near as accurate, just like any other quarterback. Defensively we made no adjustments for what they were doing. They pretty much threw every down the last two quarters, yet we didn't change the way we attacked them. Unlike our OC their coordinator saw we weren't stopping the pass and kept doing it. What an odd way to call a game.

coachspeak33
12-10-2007, 11:39 AM
i mentioned it in another thread....concerning jamming welker....I looked for it all gme yesterday....disappointed not to see it

rowedf
12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
i mentioned it in another thread....concerning jamming welker....I looked for it all gme yesterday....disappointed not to see it

Even if you don't jam him ... jam the split ends that are helping him out ..... just some type of effort to disrupt their timing would have been nice. I think they try to do that with the blitz but you can't be one dimensional like that ... not against that team.

coachspeak33
12-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Lebeau is the man and all, but dam you would think he would have made an adjustment after the 12th bubble screen....IN THE SECOND HALF ALONE!!!!

PisnNapalm
12-10-2007, 01:48 PM
We never sacked Brady because he was getting rid of the ball so quickly. That ball was out in less than 2 seconds.

BAS
12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
And it's the same way the Pats have beaten the Steelers before when Lebeau was the DC. Seems to me, at some point he should really have addressed this situation.

The Pats have been using the passing game effectively for years.... YEARS!

There's really no excuse for not coming out and changing tactics to defend against the Pats passing game... absolutely none.

revefsreleets
12-10-2007, 02:57 PM
It was kind of obvious what happened. The Steelers were jamming the WR's in the first half, but the Pats smoked them deep a couple times which forced the adjustment to playing a little softer. The Pats simply took what the Steelers gave them, and in the second half they gave them short stuff underneath. That's a sensational Pats offense, and they will find a way to beat you one way or another. The two trick plays not only yielded 14 points, they forced the Steelers out of their gameplan. Had the Steelers stuck with aggressive DB play NE would have just continued to exploit that as well.

rowedf
12-10-2007, 03:00 PM
It was kind of obvious what happened. The Steelers were jamming the WR's in the first half, but the Pats smoked them deep a couple times which forced the adjustment to playing a little softer. The Pats simply took what the Steelers gave them, and in the second half they gave them short stuff underneath. That's a sensational Pats offense, and they will find a way to beat you one way or another. The two trick plays not only yielded 14 points, they forced the Steelers out of their gameplan. Had the Steelers stuck with aggressive DB play NE would have just continued to exploit that as well.

Man, I don't know about that. I've NEVER seen the Steelers jam WR's on a regular basis and I really don't recall them doing it much, if at all in the 1st half. Both deep balls your talking about, the corners weren't jamming. The first Taylor had outside coverage in a zone and Smith jumped on the play action big time. The second was a lateral and there wasn't a CB in position to jam because he would have nailed Moss when he dropped it. Also, Gaffney just lallygagged into the middle of the field then broke it out and deep, he was not jammed.

revefsreleets
12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
I saw Ike pushing Moss around at the line. I also noticed they were playing a lot tighter than their customary 15 yards. But by the 3rd quarter, they were cheating back again.

If you watch the play-action bomb to Moss, watch the second level of the Steelers. It's kind of unfair to single out Smith. There were at least 4 players caught looking into the backfield, who snuck up to play the run, and almost simultaneously tried to slide back into position when they realized it was a pass. I know Smith and Ike were at least 2 of those 4, and there may have been more than 4. Really, though, the fate of the Steelers was sealed within the first half second of that play.

lilyoder6
12-10-2007, 03:24 PM
i think the next time we play the pats in the playoffs.. we need to run a 3-3-5 like west virginia... have our 3 lb's and have our 3 d-line who could consist of lb's and/or D-lineman. and then we can have 3 db's on there 3 wr's all the time and have the 2 safeties do what ever the hell they want.. and have those 3 db's play the wr all the time no matter what.. even if it's a run play b/c they like play action and they pass the ball 90% of the time...

hellbread
12-10-2007, 05:03 PM
i think the next time we play the pats in the playoffs.. we need to run a 3-3-5 like west virginia... have our 3 lb's and have our 3 d-line who could consist of lb's and/or D-lineman. and then we can have 3 db's on there 3 wr's all the time and have the 2 safeties do what ever the hell they want.. and have those 3 db's play the wr all the time no matter what.. even if it's a run play b/c they like play action and they pass the ball 90% of the time...

i agree 5 dbs against a pass happy team would work. only problem is that we do not have the the cb talent to cover 3 #1 recievers. i meen hell our #1 cb taylor cant catch the ball and townsend is getting old and bmac hasnt shown anything that would show he is any better. what happened that game is the same thing that has been happening for years, teams exposing our weak secondary and the FO obviously must be watching a different defense then we are. i remember something about "ben looked good in practice he didnt throw a interception in a couple hundred attempts" NO SAY IT AINT SO. i think ben is a awesome quarterback but does that comment speak highly of ben or low of our secondary. here is a fun idea not gonna happen but would be fun to watch. have holmes and ward play both ways at the corners. watching ward lay out chad johnson, TO, randy moss and houjamama that would make my day every sunday. anywho our secondary is too weak regardless of wat formation we run but at least our front seven is still the best in the league :cheers: