PDA

View Full Version : Safety Mistakes

theropodx
12-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Honestly, I feel like the pats game was lost by 3 insanely bad plays by our safeties (read: anthony "big mouth" smith). Three bad decisions that can also easily be corrected.

It reminds me of the 2005 regular-season colts game. Manning beat us bad on several long pass plays. It made me feel like our secondary was crap. But we corrected our mistakes in the playoff game.

And if you think "oh no the pats are so much better than those colts" remember the colts went 11-0 when they won that game and people said they were legendary and couldn't shut up about the colts' possible perfect season. Actually, it seems the pats may just go perfect (notwithstanding they lost to baltimore already, imo--oh yeah there was that timeout call that saved them: a technicality.). But a perfect season doesn't give you a superbowl.

Anyway, I was happy with our o-line, our qb, our receivers--just about everybody but the safeties did their job well all night. I wish we'd have punched in td's a couple of times when we came up empty. Still, I'm not saying we WILL beat the pats in playoffs (if we get that far), and i am so not saying we will blow them out. I am saying I honestly believe we CAN--if the safeties do less talking and better playing. We lost by 22 points--21 of those were handed to the pats on a silver platter.

PisnNapalm
12-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Honestly, I feel like the pats game was lost by 3 insanely bad plays by our safeties (read: anthony "big mouth" smith). Three bad decisions that can also easily be corrected.

It reminds me of the 2005 regular-season colts game. Manning beat us bad on several long pass plays. It made me feel like our secondary was crap. But we corrected our mistakes in the playoff game.

If I remember correctly.... We won a Super Bowl based on 3 bad plays by the Seahawks D.

It cuts both ways... It really sucks when your D gets smoked. :dang:

hellbread
12-10-2007, 04:26 PM
our leading reciever had 39 yards, ben was pressured all game. i think the only think that went our way was the running game parker and davenport made that happen despite the poor oline play.

jjpro11
12-10-2007, 04:32 PM
our leading reciever had 39 yards, ben was pressured all game. i think the only think that went our way was the running game parker and davenport made that happen despite the poor oline play.

ben was hardly pressured. the defense lost us this one.. we were playing from behind the entire 2nd half and we couldnt even get the offense on the field.

geo123
12-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Yes the D made some mistakes, and got burned but...
I was more disappointed in the offense reguarless of what the D does any offense should be capable of scoring 20 points.
If they could have sustained one more drive and scored 7 it might have inspired the D a little. If the O scores 30 or more and you lose then the D played bad.

19ward86
12-10-2007, 06:46 PM
makes you think abut whether a safety or a o lineman will be drafted first.

PisnNapalm
12-10-2007, 06:47 PM
o line I hope. Safetys we got.

theropodx
12-10-2007, 07:14 PM
If I remember correctly.... We won a Super Bowl based on 3 bad plays by the Seahawks D.

It cuts both ways... It really sucks when your D gets smoked. :dang:

it does and it doesn't. the difference here is if you get burned in the super bowl it's over. no looking at tape and fixing it later.

what i'm optimistic about is that the errors were so bone-headed i truly believe we can come back in a month and fix it. that's what i took away from the game.

Honestly, I had this game chocked up as a loss on my schedule forecast, so maybe that's why it didn't hurt so bad. But I think it's also because I saw some fundamental errors of judgment that cost big points. And judgment errors are correctable--as apposed to athletic ability.

Of course, next time they might beat us with the run! (but i doubt it!) :wink02:

D

theropodx
12-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes the D made some mistakes, and got burned but...
I was more disappointed in the offense reguarless of what the D does any offense should be capable of scoring 20 points.
If they could have sustained one more drive and scored 7 it might have inspired the D a little. If the O scores 30 or more and you lose then the D played bad.

I agree (and i said in my first post) that the offense should have scored in the red zone, but as has been said many times before, when you're down big against a big-scoring team that changes the dynamics of your offense. We are not a pass-happy offense but we have to become that when we go down by multiple tds.

and if the offense should inspire the defense it's also true that the defense can totally un-inspire the offense. I think that's part of what happened last night. You can't lose 3 big ones on D and hope your offense is still psyched up.

Elvis
12-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Everyone has had some good points on this subject and I agree with most. I was talking today at work with a friend and I was reminding him of the 2005 season when we lost to the Colts about the same way we lost yesterday. I dont know if Tomlin and Co. took notes on that game, but it might be a good idea to go back and look at things a little bit differently if we get to face them again.
I am also NOT A FAN of the run the ball on 1st and 2nd downs and then have 3rd and 6 or 7... we needed to mix it up alot more in the 2nd half of this game and we failed to do that.. Now... we have the Hungry Jaguars coming to Heinz Field and they are needing a win as well as we are and this is gonna be a NASTY GAME!!

stlrtruck
12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I was watching ESPN NFL LIVE the other day and they pointed out that when New England ran the play action deep pass that the OL was in pass protect stance and that there was no reason for the safeties to bite up on the play action, the line gave it away from pre-snap formation.

This is something that can be taught, but one thing that can't be taught is how to recover quickly - something our starting safeties know how to do!

steelpride12
12-11-2007, 03:03 PM
TROYYYYYYY! :(

The_WARDen
12-11-2007, 03:30 PM
TROYYYYYYY! :( He would have been out of position on that flea flicker also..he would have been right up roaming around the line of scrimmage if not blitzing.

steelpride12
12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
He would have been out of position on that flea flicker also..he would have been right up roaming around the line of scrimmage if not blitzing.

He don't roam every play i would rather put my money on him covering the flea flicker than Tyrone!