PDA

View Full Version : Refs Cheat?

docoz
12-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Our first offensive drive when we ended up kicking a field goal...it was 3rd down and goal and I think it was Vrabel was a good yard or more offsides...but the refs made no call?!? Pass interference on Holmes on Rothlisberger's lob to the end zone...no call?!? I noticed that there were at least 2 penalties against us (one of them was on a good kick or punt that we returned to around the 40 or 50 yard line & consequently got the ball on around the 8 yd line instead) that were never shown on replay....usually when you get a holding or a block in the back penalty on a kickoff/punt return, they show the replay so everyone can see...never happened!?! The NFL & Refs are doing everything they can to continue the Pats win streak. Da bastards!

Not to say that we didn't kill ourselves with the stupid goal line play calling (how bout Parker or Davenport for 2 or 3 runs up the gut instead) & Smith/Turner getting burned for 2 long touchdowns...stop looking in the backfield idiots & cover moss!

Sorry, still a little raw from the game.

:dang:

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Minus well let it out not let it bog ya down. But I'll say this, if teams don't overcome bad calls, they're not going to win. It's pretty much one of those things that go hand in hand.

slippy
12-10-2007, 06:45 PM
historically, the home team usually gets those borderline calls.

everyone wants to say the refs/nfl helps the pats, the pats cheat, etc. etc., and i would love to see bellicheck and kraft banned from the NFL for life for some hideous infraction, but let's face it, this is the most explosive team we've seen since.....well.....the 2005 colts!...or...ummm...the 2001 rams......or is it the 97-98 broncos?

slippy
12-10-2007, 06:50 PM
seriously though, the pats are playing lights out. this game reminded me a bit of the 2004 champ game with the halfs reversed.

HometownGal
12-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Yes - there were a few questionable calls yesterday, but when all is said and done, simply put - we got our asses handed to us by the better team on the field who played full throttle, not half throttle.

Steeler in Carolina
12-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I don't buy anything about the refs cheating.

jjpro11
12-10-2007, 06:54 PM
i thought the refs did fine.. it was no different than the holding call in the browns-steelers game on the punt return that they didnt show over.. doesnt mean it didnt happen though. we sucked bad. thats all there is to it.

The Patriot
12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Guys. There-will-always-be-questional-calls. Until the day the NFL replaces refs with mindless officiating robots that always make the right call, there will always be questional calls. Even then, I'm not so sure.

touchdownward
12-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Usually these things equal out through the course of a game.
I saw the offsides on 3rd down and thought for sure we had a free play.
I also saw Colon getting away with choke slamming a DE several minutes before he got flagged for the same offense.

geo123
12-10-2007, 07:28 PM
The problem yesterday was't the refs.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 07:30 PM

If anything, the refs seemed to be a little harder on the Pats than usual. No, Pittsburgh lost that game because the coaching staff packed up the trailer at halftime.

jjpro11
12-10-2007, 07:32 PM
If anything, the refs seemed to be a little harder on the Pats than usual. No, Pittsburgh lost that game because the coaching staff packed up the trailer at halftime.

i thought we were bound to get a roughing call on marsha.. we were hitting him a bit in the first half.

Jeremy
12-10-2007, 07:33 PM
i thought we were bound to get a roughing call on marsha.. we were hitting him a bit in the first half.

They let a lot go yesterday. It was actually a pretty well officiated game.

hellbread
12-10-2007, 07:45 PM
a bad officiated game....in the nfl....NO SAY IT AINT SO. however they didnt miss as many calls as they usually do.

silver & black
12-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Guys. There-will-always-be-questional-calls. Until the day the NFL replaces refs with mindless officiating robots that always make the right call, there will always be questional calls. Even then, I'm not so sure.

Questionable calls are one thing... outright wrong calls are another. I have nevver seen officiating as bad as its been the past few years. There is no excuse for it.

Untill the NFL gets full time officials, instead of the dr.'s and lawyers that do it part time, they will just have to listen to, and put up with the fans bithing about the refs.

Someone explain to me why some things are reviewable, and others are not. Isn't the whole point of the replay review to get the call right? If it can be reviewed, why can't it be reviewd? I don't get it.

Stlrs4Life
12-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Yes - there were a few questionable calls yesterday, but when all is said and done, simply put - we got our asses handed to us by the better team on the field who played full throttle, not half throttle.

Exactly...............................

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2007, 08:28 PM

Exactly. Just like every sport, football has it's shares of bad calls. The teams who overcome them will go farther in the long haul.

Elvis
12-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't buy anything about the refs cheating.
:tt02:
I am with you on this one my Carolina fan...

ShutDown24
12-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Our first offensive drive when we ended up kicking a field goal...it was 3rd down and goal and I think it was Vrabel was a good yard or more offsides...but the refs made no call?!? Pass interference on Holmes on Rothlisberger's lob to the end zone...no call?!? I noticed that there were at least 2 penalties against us (one of them was on a good kick or punt that we returned to around the 40 or 50 yard line & consequently got the ball on around the 8 yd line instead) that were never shown on replay....usually when you get a holding or a block in the back penalty on a kickoff/punt return, they show the replay so everyone can see...never happened!?! The NFL & Refs are doing everything they can to continue the Pats win streak. Da bastards!

Not to say that we didn't kill ourselves with the stupid goal line play calling (how bout Parker or Davenport for 2 or 3 runs up the gut instead) & Smith/Turner getting burned for 2 long touchdowns...stop looking in the backfield idiots & cover moss!

Sorry, still a little raw from the game.

:dang:

The worst was Vrables offsides... Ben is still reseting himself twice even though countless mediao utlets have pointed that out which is why other teams are getting such a good jump on the snap while we are in shot gun. It was offsides for sure but too close for the refs to call I believe.

verks36
12-10-2007, 09:40 PM
as steelers fans we have more class to talk about the refs lets just leave that up to the seahawks.

Come on show some class yes their were some questionable calls but hey that is the nfl

Black@Gold Forever32
12-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Wow the defense gives up 34 and just lets Moss and Gaffney run deep on them all day and the refs are blamed....Just funny and sad...lol I think the defense not showing up at all is the reason we lost....lol Not one player on that D did anything.....

tony hipchest
12-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Wow the defense gives up 34 and just lets Moss and Gaffney run deep on them all day and the refs are blamed....Just funny and sad...lol I think the defense not showing up at all is the reason we lost....lol Not one player on that D did anything.....its not really sad. the refs never had a shot to come in to play.

i dont believe the refs are cheating but they are instructed and sternly told to not be THE ONE who disrupts history in the making. they will make all calls erring on the side of caution and giving the undefeated, 3 time champs the benefit of the doubt and let replay clear up all matters later.

play not reviewable? oh well, just dont be THE ONE.

this isnt just a patriots phenomenon. the refs puckered up against the colts in 05, with the polamalu interception.

and then in the sb were on the plus side end of 2 calls that couldve easilly been called differently on the field of play and then sent up to the booth for review.

the nfl will not risk looking like they have a vendetta out against the pats, therefore they will not let a refs single call interfere with the run they are on.

if theres 1 thing you can count on, the nfl officials will always use their "best judgement" over cheating.

keep in mind, since week 1 '07, there is a difference between cheating and breaking the rules, and just about any rules violation is akin to wearing the wrong color socks. :rolleyes:

NE_Pats_12
12-11-2007, 01:39 AM
i dont believe the refs are cheating but they are instructed and sternly told to not be THE ONE who disrupts history in the making. they will make all calls erring on the side of caution and giving the undefeated, 3 time champs the benefit of the doubt and let replay clear up all matters later

If you had watched all the Pats games this year you'd know NOTHING is further form the truth.

But, it certainly wasn't that long ago a certain head coach declared, " We knew it was going to be hard to play against the Pittsburgh Steelers. We didn't know we were going to have to play against the guys in the striped shirts too." And he had a stronger case than you do.

fansince'76
12-11-2007, 07:01 AM
If you had watched all the Pats games this year you'd know NOTHING is further form the truth.

But, it certainly wasn't that long ago a certain head coach declared, " We knew it was going to be hard to play against the Pittsburgh Steelers. We didn't know we were going to have to play against the guys in the striped shirts too." And he had a stronger case than you do.

You took the time to register just to post this? :coffee:

tony hipchest
12-11-2007, 11:02 AM

But, it certainly wasn't that long ago a certain head coach declared, " We knew it was going to be hard to play against the Pittsburgh Steelers. We didn't know we were going to have to play against the guys in the striped shirts too." And he had a stronger case than you do.and the ravens had a stronger case than the seahawks. whats your point?

I know ANYTHING a patfan says is furthest from the truth. none of you guys know your facts. you just regurgitate messageboard diatribe that has been spoon fed to you since 2001. anything you say really has no relevance.

every one of you suckers were convinced the holy patriot players would never use steroids or hgh, and that there was no way their genius coaching staff would use unorthadox means to steal signals and other underhanded tactics to gain a competitive advantage.

unicorns
12-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Here's an article on'spygate ' and cheating.

SI.com - Writers - Breaking the rules: NFL (cont.) - Wednesday July 25, 2007 2:02Pm

pmanning
12-11-2007, 02:55 PM
historically, the home team usually gets those borderline calls.

everyone wants to say the refs/nfl helps the pats, the pats cheat, etc. etc., and i would love to see bellicheck and kraft banned from the NFL for life for some hideous infraction, but let's face it, this is the most explosive team we've seen since.....well.....the 2005 colts!...or...ummm...the 2001 rams......or is it the 97-98 broncos?

When the Patriots came to Indy earlier this season they were penalized 10 times for a franchise record 145 yards. That covers a lot of years. Indy had something like 25 yards in penalties. All Brady did was pass for over 150 yards in the 4th quarter alone overcoming a 10 point deficit to win that game.

Anybody else might have imploded, complained to the refs, lost focus, etc. etc., the exact thing that Baltimore did when they played the Pats, but these guys aren't like teams like that. They don't care. They come at you, come at you, and come at you more. They just keep coming and coming until that final gun goes off.

I never thought they would beat Indy in Indy. And I certainly didn't think so when they were down by 10 points in the 4th with about 9 minutes to go. They were sloppy. All the calls were going against them that day as witnessed by the record yardage of above. And in the end none of that mattered. They overcame that, they overcame that hostile crowd in that dome, and they finally overcame the Colts. I knew then that this was going to be a tough team to beat this year and that they might do something special or at least come close to doing it.

But their winning is not the refs and it's not some conspiracy. They are playing their arses off and beating all comers.

unicorns
12-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Here's an article on'spygate ' and cheating.

SI.com - Writers - Breaking the rules: NFL (cont.) - Wednesday July 25, 2007 2:02Pm

and why am I a 'water boy'? watergirl, watergal, waterwoman, anything but a waterboy

HometownGal
12-11-2007, 03:03 PM
and why am I a 'water boy'? watergirl, watergal, waterwoman, anything but a waterboy

Until you have 50 posts, you're a Water Boy no matter what your gender. When you hit 50, you become a Draft Prospect.

pmanning
12-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Until you have 50 posts, you're a Water Boy no matter what your gender. When you hit 50, you become a Draft Prospect.

Can't we sell beer or something instead? What's wrong with beer boy?

SteelerFanInCA
12-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm one to never blame the refs. We just got out played. You can't beat an "A" team when you only bring your "B" game.

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Just don't want to promote alcohol probably.

ace man 21
12-11-2007, 06:35 PM
i hate the pats

grahamburgher
12-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Good gawd.. let's not regress into Stains/Seachicken mentalities, folks. With everything going on on the field and the knowledge that their own decisions are reviewed on film and graded much like the players, I have a hard time believing that some ref is going to stand there and think "gee, I think I'll call this (or not) because I'm supposed to help out the (insert team name here)". I prefer to think that these guys are doing the best they can. Millions of people have the luxury of second-guessing the decisions that they have to make on-the-spot at full NFL speed. Sure there are calls that they get wrong, but I have a lot of respect for the job they do and the position that they have to do it in.

jjpro11
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
i hate the idea of this thread.. we are not the cryhawks who bitch and moan endlessly.. we are not the browns who stomp around and complain to the nfl about a call that they didnt like. the refs had nothing to do with this game or the ravens game.. we lost the game in the 2nd half and the ravens lost the game in the 4th quarter. that is why the patriots are undefeated.

touchdownward
12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Because a good portion of posters on here aren't old enough to drink. :alcohol::busted:

pmanning
12-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Good gawd.. let's not regress into Stains/Seachicken mentalities, folks. With everything going on on the field and the knowledge that their own decisions are reviewed on film and graded much like the players, I have a hard time believing that some ref is going to stand there and think "gee, I think I'll call this (or not) because I'm supposed to help out the (insert team name here)". I prefer to think that these guys are doing the best they can. Millions of people have the luxury of second-guessing the decisions that they have to make on-the-spot at full NFL speed. Sure there are calls that they get wrong, but I have a lot of respect for the job they do and the position that they have to do it in.

Good post.

Ironically I was just reading today that the Pats have had 65 "accepted" penalties called against them this year which ties them with the 6th lowest. I don't know who 3-4-5 are but the Seahawks have been the least penalized with something like 47 accepted penalties called against them and surprisingly right behind them with the second lowest accepted penalties called with 48 is the New York Jets. I'm saying 47 and 48 but it might have been 46 and 47. It was one of them. I don't have the article in front of me.

But the point is that the Pats are far from the lowest penalized team. There are 5 teams below them with the Seahawks and Jets quite a bit below them while another team is tied with them. So if penalties meant everything the Jets wouldn't be standing right now at 3-10.

FAB802
12-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Our safeties stunk out loud Sunday. Our offense didn't score enough points. We lost. The refs had zero to do with us losing this game. All that said, they didn't do anything that leads me to believe we can't beat them IF we get another opportunity.

HometownGal
12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Because a good portion of posters on here aren't old enough to drink. :alcohol::busted:

I wouldn't say a "good portion", TD, but enough to make us honest around here. :wink02:

I don't believe that NFL refs deliberately make a bad call to benefit one team or another and I've never believed that. While some of the calls I have deemed "bad" that have gone against the Steelers in the past have pissed me off, I realize these guys are humans and are making judgment calls based on what they see at their vantage point at that split second. Replay has helped some in that regard, but the bottom line is that they aren't perfect and are capable of erring, just as the rest of us are in our professions. There are some NFL refs who I believe are "elite", i.e. Hochuli, Carollo, Coleman, Morellii and Carey (and before they retired - Grier and White), and some who I believe are flat out incompetent, i.e. Boger, Steratore and Triplette. The rest fall somewhere in between.

The Steelers lost the game this past Sunday not because of a poor judgment call by the officiating crew, but because they played half of a football game against a team that was, simply put, the better team on the field that day. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jman
12-12-2007, 09:11 AM
I have to laugh at this thread. I don't want to get started on it, but yea... we didn't lose because of the refs.

pmanning
12-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't say a "good portion", TD, but enough to make us honest around here. :wink02:

I don't believe that NFL refs deliberately make a bad call to benefit one team or another and I've never believed that. While some of the calls I have deemed "bad" that have gone against the Steelers in the past have pissed me off, I realize these guys are humans and are making judgment calls based on what they see at their vantage point at that split second. Replay has helped some in that regard, but the bottom line is that they aren't perfect and are capable of erring, just as the rest of us are in our professions. There are some NFL refs who I believe are "elite", i.e. Hochuli, Carollo, Coleman, Morellii and Carey (and before they retired - Grier and White), and some who I believe are flat out incompetent, i.e. Boger, Steratore and Triplette. The rest fall somewhere in between.

The Steelers lost the game this past Sunday not because of a poor judgment call by the officiating crew, but because they played half of a football game against a team that was, simply put, the better team on the field that day. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm pretty new at this (Steeler forum) but I'd have to say that the posts I've read of your's are pretty honest. Your thoughts about this past Sunday's game are right on and you're honest enough to express them in that way. Nothing beat the Steelers except for the Patriots. Some fans of some teams in like situations would come up with anything else as a reason. You haven't and the objectivity is refreshing. I can't stand cry babies and excuse makers and many of my Colt friends and fellow fans have fit into that category at times. You also see that on many forums.

So far I think this forum is one of the better ones I've found in regards to the above.

HometownGal
12-12-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm pretty new at this (Steeler forum) but I'd have to say that the posts I've read of your's are pretty honest. Your thoughts about this past Sunday's game are right on and you're honest enough to express them in that way. Nothing beat the Steelers except for the Patriots. Some fans of some teams in like situations would come up with anything else as a reason. You haven't and the objectivity is refreshing. I can't stand cry babies and excuse makers and many of my Colt friends and fellow fans have fit into that category at times. You also see that on many forums.

So far I think this forum is one of the better ones I've found in regards to the above.

Thank you for the kind words, pmanning. :cheers: I calls 'em as I sees 'em. I'm not one to cry over spilled milk - I have my brief "mourning period" after a loss and move forward to the next week. I don't tolerate crybabies well, either and I'm not one to put anyone under a microscope, especially after a loss. From the coaching staff on down, the Steelers loss on Sunday was a team loss that can't be blamed on anyone but them. I'm anxious to see how they are going to rebound this week against Jax. :tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
the refs tried to stay out of this one. Some calls were missed, other made, but at no point did they make a call that "fixed" the game...not like in the Pats Ravens game, with the game on the line, can't believe some of the calls in that game. Think the refs felt the pressure of the moment in that one as much as the players did.

Rhee Rhee
12-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Agreed blame the refs all you want but it's not enough to account for 20+ points....

ChronoCross
12-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Why someone would even start a thread like this when all we do is hear about refs this and that from other fans.. Have we stooped this low to cry about refs for are own safeties getting out of position and beat. Are being out coached in the second half. Are the offense not being able to punch it in when in the redzone. Wow.

We got are butts handed to us and that is it. Refs had nothing to do with us making are own mistakes. When we hit the playoffs we need to remember to play mistake free football for 60 mins and have better game plans. Because so far on the road we have sucked on the road, until we get over that hump, well we will see.

Dino 6 Rings
12-13-2007, 12:52 PM
I honestly believe you will see better officiating the rest of the way this season. The Refs this previous weekend did a much better job across the board as opposed to the week before.

Not only the Ravens Pats game, but the Cardinals Browns game had some iffy calls, especailly at the end, that effected or could have effected the actually outcome of both contests. That is something the NFL will not tolerate. Let the game be decided on the field. You'll see more cases now of calls made in obvious situations and less of the "Defensive holding on the guy 48 yards away from the play, automatic first down" calls.