12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07345/840810-66.stm

huge loss for the defense

jjpro11
12-11-2007, 11:55 AM
we are seriously ****ed. :banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

ShutDown24
12-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah Coach was talking about that a bit ago in his press conference... Eason and Kirshke have done great when needing to this year though... A lot of guys were asking if they planned to move Woodley back to DE and it doesn't sound like it.

CanadianSteel
12-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Yikes - That really hurts ..... didn't notice he got hurt, and I wouldn't expext the dumb CBS crew to point anything like that out. Hopefully someone can "Man -up" like 2004 when Big Casey went down and Hoke stepped in.
Smith may be the one of hardest player to replace in our D - great at the point of attack.
Get well soon Aaron !

tony hipchest
12-11-2007, 12:00 PM
i wonder which patriot cheap shotted him? like tomlin just said on sirius, you dont/cant replace him with 1 player.

tomlin said he was hurt for him on a personal level.

this sucks for a great steeler.

HometownGal
12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
This is definitely not good news. Aaron is going to be sorely missed down the stretch and into the playoffs. Whether its Kirschke, Eason or both, they have some huge cleats to fill. On a brighter note, they have 16 years of NFL experience combined so it's not like we're putting an untested rook in there.

Here's to a speedy recovery Aaron! :cheers:

TackleMeBen
12-11-2007, 12:04 PM
this is not good news for us. i hope we have some guys that will step up.

jjpro11
12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
what were the other games he missed this year? i think one was at the bengals.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2007, 12:07 PM
I doubt a biceps tear was a cheap shot.

This is a devastating injury for the Steelers prospects for the rest of the year.

Hoping for a full recovery for 2008.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2007, 12:07 PM
what were the other games he missed this year? i think one was at the bengals.

Smith went down early in the Denver game and missed the Bengals game the next week.

Injury bug definitely has bitten the D this year (Smith, Clark & Troy).

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-11-2007, 12:08 PM
OHHHHHHHHHH CRAP!!!...this sucks.

I hope he recovers quickly but I dont think we have anyone on the roster who can replace him.
Way to late in the season for a major change..but our defensive personel are now more set up for a 4-3 with Woodley as a speed rusher and Hoke/Hampton on the inside.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I still think we can win this weekend.

We have had some really bad injuries this year...Troy has basically been out for the year since Arizona, Clark, now Smith, Holmes has been in and out for weeks now.

Over the years, we have always had guys step up. This year must be more of the same.

To quote someone we all still regard as family...."It is what it is. Let's keep things in perspective"...and finally for this weekend "LETS GO".

TackleMeBen
12-11-2007, 12:13 PM
i am sure coach tomlin has a plan to get the guys in there to fill this void. is there any chance we can send this injury bug up north to foxboro???lol

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-11-2007, 12:16 PM
i am sure coach tomlin has a plan to get the guys in there to fill this void. is there any chance we can send this injury bug up north to foxboro???lol

I dont want to trade bugs with the Pats...a person can die from some of the viruses they pick up in Turkish baths!!!

Steel_Bus_24
12-11-2007, 12:16 PM
This sucks something awful..........Bad Bad news. He was huge for us against the run.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I still think we can win this weekend.

We have had some really bad injuries this year...Troy has basically been out for the year since Arizona, Clark, now Smith, Holmes has been in and out for weeks now.

Over the years, we have always had guys step up. This year must be more of the same.

To quote someone we all still regard as family...."It is what it is. Let's keep things in perspective"...and finally for this weekend "LETS GO".

Agreed we can still win at home - it is not as if Ben is lost for the year.

This team just seems to have peaked on 75th anniversary night against the Ravens.

TackleMeBen
12-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Agreed we can still win at home - it is not as if Ben is lost for the year.

This team just seems to have peaked on 75th anniversary night against the Ravens.

yes that is true. at least we havent lost Ben..

TackleMeBen
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I dont want to trade bugs with the Pats...a person can die from some of the viruses they pick up in Turkish baths!!!

i didnt say trade.. we are sending them an early christmas present.. one that we dont want returned..lol... its the injury bug.. :sofunny:

Petesburgh66
12-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Put Woodley there as I am not high on Kirschke and Eason. He may be able to generate a pass rush, something which the existing ends have hardly done this year.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Oh man this really sucks. The wrong Smith got hurt, IMHO.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Put Woodley there as I am not high on Kirschke and Eason. He may be able to generate a pass rush, something which the existing ends have hardly done this year.

as 3-4 ends they are supposed to take up the blockers and allow our LBers to get to the QB....in the 4-3 you are exactly correct and I agree with you that Woodley would be a beast against most slow Left Tackles.

jjpro11
12-11-2007, 01:10 PM
is woodley even healthy yet?

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh man this really sucks. The wrong Smith got hurt, IMHO.

I will assume you are referring to Anthony & not Marvel:smile:

Although Starks palyed adequately in the quagmire, IMO losing Marvel Smith for games on decent fields would be as devastating as losing Aaron Smith.

SteelerFanInCA
12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Wow, that's not good news. The bicep tear sounds painful. I didn't even see him get hurt during the game. Unbelievable. Hopefully he has a successful recovery.

klick81
12-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Wow, this f'in sucks. :banging:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I will assume you are referring to Anthony & not Marvel:smile:

Although Starks palyed adequately in the quagmire, IMO losing Marvel Smith for games on decent fields would be as devastating as losing Aaron Smith.

That is correct, I should have specified.

OneForTheToe
12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Yikes - not good news. Not sure about Woodly as an every down End in a 3-4 defense. It takes a pretty specific type of player to be an End in a 3-4. Jacksonvillie is a running team so we have to be stout against the run first. How about Hokey-Pokey on first and second down and Woodly on third downs and other obvious passing situations?

OneForTheToe
12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
On another note, Kemo van oelhoffen where art though? Is he playing for another team? Come home now.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-11-2007, 02:20 PM
is woodley even healthy yet?

Not yet..but maybe by Sunday....doesnt matter though...they will use Eason. Just "What if" wonderings.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-11-2007, 02:21 PM
On another note, Kemo van oelhoffen where art though? Is he playing for another team? Come home now.

AHH.....ya went and said his name....somehere in Cincy, Carson Palmer just curled up into a fetal position and started to cry.
I hope your happy

jjpro11
12-11-2007, 02:21 PM
woodley cannot and will not be a downed lineman in a 3-4 scheme.. he was brought here to play alongside aaron smith, not in place of him.

Petesburgh66
12-11-2007, 02:23 PM
as 3-4 ends they are supposed to take up the blockers and allow our LBers to get to the QB....in the 4-3 you are exactly correct and I agree with you that Woodley would be a beast against most slow Left Tackles.

I know. But against a pass happy team like NE, it wouldn't hurt to have a pass rush from a DE. No need to have run stuff DEs to stop the run if there is no run.

OneForTheToe
12-11-2007, 02:41 PM
AHH.....ya went and said his name....somehere in Cincy, Carson Palmer just curled up into a fetal position and started to cry.
I hope your happy

Yes I am. :tt02:

I hope when Carson curled up in his fetal position as you say, that he didn't hog all the covers and leave poor Brady shivering. :sissies:

fansince'76
12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
This SUCKS. :banging:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-11-2007, 02:47 PM

I hope when Carson curled up in his fetal position as you say, that he didn't hog all the covers and leave poor Brady shivering. :sissies:

LMAO!!!!:toofunny:

PalmerSteel
12-11-2007, 02:48 PM
bad time for this. playing against a very good RB combo sunday. :dang:

steelpride12
12-11-2007, 02:56 PM
AHHHH no terrible news its never good to lose a leader on the defense yikes!

Dynasty
12-11-2007, 03:05 PM
I think eason will be fine in there... i know its bad to lose smith, but when Eason was in there earlier this year, we seemed to do fine. i think we may do a rotation with him on running downs, and the wood in on passing downs. he did play every down in college, so its not like he's abysmal at run stopping.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow, that's not good news. The bicep tear sounds painful. I didn't even see him get hurt during the game. Unbelievable. Hopefully he has a successful recovery.

Ed.B. of the P-G said he hurt it and just kept playing.

These guys play on with pain that would cause me to pass out or go to the emergency room.

But injuries are part of the deal - Colts lost Freeney, Pats lose Colvin - life goes on.

Hope Aaron heals up for a healthy 2008 - he is one of the quiet keystones of the D.

TackleMeBen
12-11-2007, 03:09 PM

that is too funny :sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Blah, but I am looking forward to seeing Kirschke and Eason stepping up. Got to prepare with what you have now guys. I know this just from personal expierence. This year we had our top power running back hurt for 2 or 3 games and well, his abscence was notable. But we prepared on and won a few without him putting a guy just as good as him.

Just like any sport, this is the time of year that can tell a lot about where you'll finish. If the Steelers figure the proper peace to fit the puzzle, they will go far.

Recover soon Aaron.

19ward86
12-11-2007, 04:12 PM
nick eason looks like the go to guy, i hate him but o well, i would actually like to see chris hoke at end for the rest of the season.

jjpro11
12-11-2007, 08:15 PM
ok... i was thinking about this a bit and maybe a guy like eason or kirschke could help us vs the pats. they arent going to run, which negates the strongest part of smith's game. our blitzes got picked up nearly every single time.. the only time we were able to get pressure from a linebacker is when the pats completely missed the blitz read, which left the blitzer come in untouched regardless of who was anchoring the line.

we need to generate pressure from our downed linemen better to move brady around in the pocket. eason and kirschke have shown ability to get after the qb. this obviously wont matter when we play every other team remaining on the schedule and playoffs.. but the pats are different and something out of the ordinary may work better.

i dont know.. im just trying to remain optimistic after initially freaking out. we face some tough running backs coming up.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2007, 08:27 PM
ok... i was thinking about this a bit and maybe a guy like eason or kirschke could help us vs the pats. they arent going to run, which negates the strongest part of smith's game. our blitzes got picked up nearly every single time.. the only time we were able to get pressure from a linebacker is when the pats completely missed the blitz read, which left the blitzer come in untouched regardless of who was anchoring the line.

we need to generate pressure from our downed linemen better to move brady around in the pocket. eason and kirschke have shown ability to get after the qb. this obviously wont matter when we play every other team remaining on the schedule and playoffs.. but the pats are different and something out of the ordinary may work better.

i dont know.. im just trying to remain optimistic after initially freaking out. we face some tough running backs coming up.

Yep - getting back to Foxboro has gotten a lot longer since 4:15 on Sunday

Dynasty
12-11-2007, 09:43 PM
you guys bring up an interesting point. how would hoke do if we put him there? if tomlin decides to make that move, does it mean we will have more 4-3 in our defense next year? (depending of course on how well it works out)

Galax Steeler
12-12-2007, 03:57 AM
Bad news for the team hopefully someone will step up and do a nice job while he is out.

LeXX75
12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
you guys bring up an interesting point. how would hoke do if we put him there? if tomlin decides to make that move, does it mean we will have more 4-3 in our defense next year? (depending of course on how well it works out)

Hoke would be the best choice..in my mind...the only problem...he is the only DL on this team that can back up Casey..if he gets hurt playing DE we are really screwed...