PDA

View Full Version : Stop for the school bus.

PisnNapalm
12-12-2007, 10:48 AM
As many of you know I am a school bus driver. When someone does not stop for our flashing red lights we are obligated to try and get as much information about the car as possible.

We turn this information in to the local police department and they will send the driver a nice ticket in the mail.

Today.... I had a driver follow me down the street. He was behind me when I activated my flashing yellow warning lights. He was behind me when I stopped and activated the red warning lights and flashing automatic stop sign on the side of my bus. He then passed me on the left.

I hit the horn and he stopped immediately with his rear bumper even with the front of my bus. This allowed me to easily read his plate number. He then put the car in reverse for about a second before giving me a dismissive wave. Then he put it back into drive and took off down the street.

I should also say that he did all of this while talking on his cell phone.

So this morning after my run I filled out the paper work and turned the guy in to the police. In about a week he should receive a monster ticket in the mail. He'll most likely try to fight it.

The penalty in Pennsylvania for running through a school bus' red lights is::

1. 60 days suspended license
2. 5 points on your license
3. $250 fine

I'm expecting a call anytime now from the officer who will be handling the case.

Please.... Pay attention when you're driving and be especially vigilant when you see a school bus.

The child I was picking up at the time is a special needs child. He sometimes tries to break out of his mother's grip and run to the bus. I would hate to see him break free and decide to run past my bus into the street.

Thanks for reading.

PN

Counselor
12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Wow! people are idiots. thanks for the post.

MACH1
12-12-2007, 10:59 AM
I can't speak for everyone else but I always stop for the school buses. But as the father of a 5 year old that rides the bus I'm not so sure I like the idea of the drivers yappin on the phone while driving the bus, especially with my child on board.

PisnNapalm
12-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I can't speak for everyone else but I always stop for the school buses. But as the father of a 5 year old that rides the bus I'm not so sure I like the idea of the drivers yappin on the phone while driving the bus, especially with my child on board.

Maybe you misunderstood me. The driver that passed my school bus was talking on his cell phone.

Our company policy is that we are not allowed to talk on cell phones EXCEPT for an emergency or if our supervisor calls us. We have company cell phones that are kept on the buses. We are not allowed to use our personal phones at all while driving. It might just get ya fired if ya do.

MACH1
12-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Ahhh OK.... Sorry bout that. I misunderstood you.

Where I live the police will ride on random buses just for that reason, to bust dumb ass drivers. They take down the info and walla you might get a knock on your door or a nice surprise in your mailbox.

Godfather
12-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Y'all should have cameras on board so douchebags like that guy can't deny anything.

PisnNapalm
12-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Y'all should have cameras on board so douchebags like that guy can't deny anything.

That would be nice. I saw a news story where they let a news crew onto a school bus and they documented several violations. I forget where that was from though.

Cameras would be nice but the equipment is expensive.

revefsreleets
12-12-2007, 02:39 PM
What is the law about divided highways? Isn't it something like if the divide is wider than 4 feet drivers heading in the opposite direction don't have to stop?

PisnNapalm
12-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Opposing traffic does not have to stop on a divided highway.

revefsreleets
12-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh. I thought there was some kind of threshold. I never know what to do, and I feel guilty when I don't stop. The last time I did, I got honked at. Now I know. Thanks!

touchdownward
12-12-2007, 10:29 PM
As many of you know I am a school bus driver. When someone does not stop for our flashing red lights we are obligated to try and get as much information about the car as possible.

We turn this information in to the local police department and they will send the driver a nice ticket in the mail.

Today.... I had a driver follow me down the street. He was behind me when I activated my flashing yellow warning lights. He was behind me when I stopped and activated the red warning lights and flashing automatic stop sign on the side of my bus. He then passed me on the left.

I hit the horn and he stopped immediately with his rear bumper even with the front of my bus. This allowed me to easily read his plate number. He then put the car in reverse for about a second before giving me a dismissive wave. Then he put it back into drive and took off down the street.

So this morning after my run I filled out the paper work and turned the guy in to the police. In about a week he should receive a monster ticket in the mail. He'll most likely try to fight it.

3. $250 fine

I'm expecting a call anytime now from the officer who will be handling the case.

Please.... Pay attention when you're driving and be especially vigilant when you see a school bus.

The child I was picking up at the time is a special needs child. He sometimes tries to break out of his mother's grip and run to the bus. I would hate to see him break free and decide to run past my bus into the street.

Thanks for reading.

PN
I always stop way back for buses, People honk for me being so far back, but I could care less. I'm also a special needs teacher and understand ALL children can run out in front of traffic at any time.

Hats off to you PN, you guys have the toughest jobs in the school system. :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
12-12-2007, 10:38 PM
What jackasses. Good Job Pnp!

Mikee
12-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I also stop for the buses...One thing they are doing here in Bakersfield, CA is put a cop on each bus with a radio. A car drives past without stopping, he radios in and the nearest cop pulls him over.

It has worked very well for the "pilot" they have doing and I think it has made a more people think about doing it.

The Duke
12-13-2007, 12:52 PM
this idiots shouldn't be allowed to drive! and using a freakin cellphone! this guy's going down.

you did the right thing napalm

fansince'76
12-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Two of my biggest pet peeves on the road (right after tailgaters): idiots who talk on cell phones while driving and idiots who are in a big hurry to go nowhere. This guy was both - a $250 fine sounds really good for him. Jagoff.

SteelCityMan786
12-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Two of my biggest pet peeves on the road (right after tailgaters): idiots who talk on cell phones while driving and idiots who are in a big hurry to go nowhere. This guy was both - a $250 fine sounds really good for him. Jagoff.

I think if he's a repeat offender, he can get his license taken away.

NJarhead
12-13-2007, 06:28 PM

3. $250 fine

Thanks for reading.

PN

You sound responsible, but the Bus Drivers near me are as ignorant as they come. I've thought about calling the police on them a few times (failing to yield w/ Children on board, speeding and borderline reckless driving). I threw my arms up at one of them when he cut me off (going opposite directions - He turned left at the light and I was going straight - I have the right of way and was already in the intersection). I slammed on my brakes and was sooooooo tempted to follow him. I thought better of it though as I'm sure I would've been the one to go to jail.

Like I said, you sound responsible so good on ya!

Preacher
12-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I completely understand.

They're children that are getting on that bus. Please people. Stop!

Interesting story.

I was driving on a road., it was a 6 lane road. I was in the far left lane going my way, and came up behind someone that was stopped. I laid on my horn. The guy, to his credit, just pointed at the bus two lanes over.

I felt like an idiot.

I also held my hands and mouthed sorry.

PisnNapalm
12-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Folks... Please... If you ever see a school bus driver doing anything unsafe. Do not hesitate to call the school district/bus company and report it.

I have walked into my supervisor's office several times, closed her door and told her the conduct of fellow drivers. I have absolutely no loyalty to any of the drivers. They work for the same employer as I do. That's it. My main concern is for the children we've been entrusted to transport.

revefsreleets
12-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Sorry, but sometimes I can't help myself, this being a serious subject and all:

"My name is Otto, and i love to get blotto!"

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/otto/11.JPG

stlrtruck
12-14-2007, 02:06 PM
There was a story here where a teenage kid didn't stop and he hit another kid trying to get on the bus....thankfully, the hit kid was in ICU and doing well, especially considering after the car hit him he flew 30-40 feet.

PisnNapalm
12-14-2007, 02:27 PM
I was stopped in traffic waiting for a light to change. A high school aged boy ran between the back of my bus and the front of the bus behind me. A pickup truck coming the other way hit the kids and sent him flying.

I saw a flash of movement in my side mirror then heard screeching tires and a sickening thump. Then in my mirror I saw the kid flying backwards. I never did find out what happened to the kid. There are still paint marks on the road from where the cops marked everything out. That was 3 years ago.