PDA

View Full Version : Early Forecast - Steelers/Jags

HometownGal
12-12-2007, 10:08 AM
We are forecast to get snow in the Burgh on Sunday. I've heard different reports - one said 2-4 inches and another 3-6 inches. Hopefully, the winter storm that is headed our way will go east and smack Boston (who is forecasted to get 3-6 inches today). Normally, I love a ton of snow, but with the field problems at HF, I'd rather it go in another direction.

Borski
12-12-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm fine with the snow, its when its rain that it makes the field problems.

Besides...the Jags are from Florida...

stillers4me
12-12-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm fine with the snow, its when its rain that it makes the field problems.

Besides...the Jags are from Florida...

I agree. Advantage:Steelers

TackleMeBen
12-12-2007, 12:02 PM
i know some kitties that doesnt want to play in the snow..lol

Da Steeler Soprano
12-12-2007, 01:08 PM
YES that is awesome. This is my one game a year that I go too, and I've been praying for snow since I got the tickets back in July!

revefsreleets
12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Another 3-0 win is just fine.

gobig99
12-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I think they are saying that the bulk of the snow is now on Saturday in the burgh and not as much Sunday. Can someone verify this for me?
I might have to leave NJ on friday to miss hittin the storm saturday driving in central/western PA. Than drive home after the game if it isn't bad.
Thanks

RP_McMurphy
12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Last snow games for the Jaguars

2004- @Green Bay Win
2005- @Cleveland Win
2005(playoffs) @ New England Loss
2006- @ Kansas City Loss

So the Jaguars can go on the road in the snow but Pittsburgh would be the best team they have beaten in snow if they win.

HometownGal
12-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I think they are saying that the bulk of the snow is now on Saturday in the burgh and not as much Sunday. Can someone verify this for me?
I might have to leave NJ on friday to miss hittin the storm saturday driving in central/western PA. Than drive home after the game if it isn't bad.
Thanks

You are correct gobig. The forecast has been changed. I obtained this info from accuweather.com:

Friday night and Saturday, a big storm will emerge from the lower Mississippi Valley spreading snow from Missouri to western Pennsylvania. Saturday night, a secondary storm will form on the Eastern Seaboard. That one is destined to become a monster as it spins up the coast late Saturday night and Sunday. It's simply a textbook example of a good old-fashioned snowstorm. A broad area from Missouri to western Pennsylvania will get up to 6 inches of snow from this double-barrel system. From central Pennsylvania northeastward amounts may reach a foot or more. The Coastal Plain could escape this one with more rain than snow and sleet; however, we won't know that for sure for another day.

Have a safe trip! :cheers:

steelpride12
12-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I want there to be alot of snow on the ground like against the Bears in '05 it was amazing i was there and i feel against a running jags team we could have an advantage so bring on the snow!!!

HometownGal
12-12-2007, 03:59 PM
I want there to be alot of snow on the ground like against the Bears in '05 it was amazing i was there and i feel against a running jags team we could have an advantage so bring on the snow!!!

Please Willie - leave the sleeves at HOME. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
12-12-2007, 04:02 PM

Yes, for all of our sakes.

stillers4me
12-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Get some kid to ask him to leave them off.

TackleMeBen
12-12-2007, 06:27 PM
can we get the equipment guy to lose them???:wink02:

Stlrs4Life
12-12-2007, 06:48 PM
The snow will have no effect on the Jags. I'm sure alot of the players on thier teams have played in snow and cold before.

Galax Steeler
12-13-2007, 03:58 AM
Bring on the snow I wan't to see some hard physical football.

HometownGal
12-13-2007, 06:51 AM
The forecast has now changed to 2-4 inches Saturday and Saturday night and the possibility of another 2 inches on Sunday. I don't trust weather forecasters anymore - since they started using computers to forecast weather, they're most often wrong.

susielr
12-13-2007, 10:59 AM

I was watching the Hines Ward show last week and Willie was on and someone asked him why he wears them and he said Jerome Bettis taught him to wear them for grip...I don't recall Jerome fumbling all that much..just at critial times..(Colts 2 years ago)

susielr
12-13-2007, 11:02 AM
The forecast has now changed to 2-4 inches Saturday and Saturday night and the possibility of another 2 inches on Sunday. I don't trust weather forecasters anymore - since they started using computers to forecast weather, they're most often wrong.

I don't trust them either because last Monday we were only supposed to get a dusting of snow and we ended up getting five inches..that's way off. Where do you live?

Dino 6 Rings
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't care if they play this game in 7 feet of snow or 3 feet of molten lava...I just want them to take it to the Jags and secure their playoff spot and get back on track at being a playoff team.

susielr
12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
:cheers:I don't care if they play this game in 7 feet of snow or 3 feet of molten lava...I just want them to take it to the Jags and secure their playoff spot and get back on track at being a playoff team.

:cheers: Cheers to that, I want a game like the Ravens game.

memphissteelergirl
12-13-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't care if they play this game in 7 feet of snow or 3 feet of molten lava...I just want them to take it to the Jags and secure their playoff spot and get back on track at being a playoff team.

Gee...wouldn't that kinda sting a little? :hunch:

Elvis
12-14-2007, 04:17 AM
:tt02:
I was just on weatherchannel.com and this is what their forecast says..
High 34
NNW Winds at 22 mph
Wintry Mix to snow/windy
This could be bad for the Steelers, being that the Jaguars have the best rushing team in the league and the Steelers are gonna be missing Aaron Smith the rest of the season.
:coffee:

HometownGal
12-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Updated forecast for Sunday:

Sunday, Dec 16

High: 33?F RealFeel?: 18?F
Windy with 1-3 inches of snow
Winds: WNW at 23mph
Wind Gusts: 35 mph Max UV Index: Low (1)
Thunderstorm Probability: 0%
Amount of Precipitation: 0.18in
Amount of Rain: 0.00in
Amount of Snow: 2.0in
Hours of Precipitation: 8 Hrs
Hours of Rain: 0 Hrs
Hours of Daylight: 9.3 Hrs

From what I've been hearing and reading, we are forecast for 2-4 inches of snow Saturday and Saturday night mixed intermittently with freezing rain. Those of you coming in for the game, please be safe in your travels. :cheers::tt02:

jjpro11
12-14-2007, 03:15 PM
putting your bias aside.. who does this weather benefit?

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2007, 04:06 PM
this type of weather slows down the entire game. It puts most of the focus on the running game on both sides of the ball, but it also may work to the benefit of the Steelers only because the Jags QB hasn't played in this type of weather as far as I know. He's pretty solid, doesn't make mental mistakes, maybe a flutter slip ice ball, or a fumbled snap is exactly the kind of thing it'll take to win this thing.

noto45
12-14-2007, 05:18 PM
no holds barred on this game punch them in the mouth!

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Adding 2-3 inches of snow or a "wintry mix" to this turf should be interesting - the mad scientest's lab experiment to see how to develop the league's worst playing conditions continues.

I know it gets cold in the Burgh in December and love snow games, but when did the Steelers last play a home game in decent weather this season - I recall it rained for the Browns game - Seattle in early October?

Jags are definitely the trendy upset pick this weekend

Borski
12-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Adding 2-3 inches of snow or a "wintry mix" to this turf should be interesting - the mad scientest's lab experiment to see how to develop the league's worst playing conditions continues.

I know it gets cold in the Burgh in December and love snow games, but when did the Steelers last play a home game in decent weather this season - I recall it rained for the Browns game - Seattle in early October?

Honestly I think its a fairly even matchup, it wouldn't be much of an upset.

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Honestly I think its a fairly even matchup, it wouldn't be much of an upset.

I agree we are not talking Jets over Pats, but the Steelers are a solid field goal favorite - FWIW the Steelers seem real banged up & vulnerable here

jjpro11
12-14-2007, 06:56 PM

the seattle game was bizarre too.. it was in the high 80s that day in october.. i toasted in the bleachers.

X-Terminator
12-15-2007, 07:46 AM
I agree we are not talking Jets over Pats, but the Steelers are a solid field goal favorite - FWIW the Steelers seem real banged up & vulnerable here

So are the Jags. Have you seen their injury list and the guys they have out on the defensive side of the ball? Let's just say the Steelers losing Aaron Smith doesn't look too bad when you compare it just with the Jags having Stroud and Peterson out.

At any rate, bring on the snow! Haven't had a decent snow game since 2005 against the Bears, and I think we all remember what happened in that game!

HometownGal
12-15-2007, 12:52 PM
The snow has started falling in the Burgh. They've altered the forecast here - we're supposed to get snow changing to freezing rain to all rain tonight and 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow with blustery conditions.

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2007, 01:21 PM
The snow has started falling in the Burgh. They've altered the forecast here - we're supposed to get snow changing to freezing rain to all rain tonight and 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow with blustery conditions.

Safe travels to everyone going to the the game or elsewhere in western PA this weekend - this storm is so big we even are getting rain in ATL (cannot remember when prior to today I last lost the DirecTV signal to rain fade)

steelerbackr4life
12-15-2007, 01:45 PM
It just started snowing in the Burgh this hour 2:00 Glad I drove here lst night

HometownGal
12-15-2007, 03:26 PM
It just started snowing in the Burgh this hour 2:00 Glad I drove here lst night

I'm glad you safely arrived in the Burgh last night! :cheers:

Snow only lasted about an hour and we got about 1/2 inch. We're forecasted to get the bulk of it (1-3 inches) starting tomorrow morning.

Bundle up out there- the wind is picking up a bit!

Fire Haley
12-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Ya gotta love those "wintry mixes" forecasts.

Sunday gametime weather:

Mixed snow...sleet or rain changing to all snow. Blowing snow. Snow and sleet accumulation of 4 to 6 inches. Blustery with highs in the lower 30s. Temperature falling into the mid 20s in the afternoon. North winds 15 to 25 mph...becoming northwest 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 40 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2007, 04:35 PM
This Weather Channel forecast for Sunday makes the weather for the Miami game seem idyllic by comparison:

Windy with rain mixing with a few flurries and snow showers late in the day. High 37F. Winds SSW at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of precip 80%.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/local/15241?from=watchlist_wx

I guess the record of no 50+ yard FGs at Heinz is safe tomorrow:smile:

susielr
12-15-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm glad you safely arrived in the Burgh last night! :cheers:

Snow only lasted about an hour and we got about 1/2 inch. We're forecasted to get the bulk of it (1-3 inches) starting tomorrow morning.

Bundle up out there- the wind is picking up a bit!

Hopefully no one drove in this afternoon because I was out finishing my christmas shopping and route 28 was an ice skating rink and visibility was 0.

SteelCityMan786
12-15-2007, 10:15 PM
REMINDER: Anyone who is going to be attending tomorrow's game AVOID THE 10TH STREET BYPASS, it has been closed due to flooding.

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2007, 07:01 AM
So here is the latest as of 8 a.m.

Windy with rain and snow this morning. Then mainly snow showers for the afternoon. Morning high of 39F with temps falling to near freezing. Winds SSW at 25 to 35 mph. Snow accumulating 1 to 2 inches. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/hourbyhour/15241?from=36hr_fcstHourLink_business

And Ed.B. of the P-G speculates today may see the return of Willie Reid as a punt returner in this weather?:jawdrop:

Willie Reid may not play today, but the second-year wide receiver, drafted in the third round in 2006 mostly because of his return ability, took extra practice this week working on punt returns.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07350/842068-66.stm

HometownGal
12-16-2007, 09:41 AM
It has been raining in the Burgh most of the morning and the temp is around 36 degrees. We're supposed to get 1-2" of snow sometime today, but I'm not believing it until I see it. The winds are picking up somewhat, though.

Dayum - I should have chosen meteorology as a career. It's the only job I know of where you can be wrong 75% of the time and still keep your job! :dang:

Back in the day when meteorologists didn't have computers and had to depend on reading weather patterns and radar, the forecasts were almost pin-point accurate.

Anyone remember Joe DiNardo here in the Burgh? He was almost always right on the money. "Joe said it would!" :thumbsup:

steelpride12
12-16-2007, 10:19 AM
On Sunday NFL countdown they said it would be about 35MPH gusts of wind with only a 30% of snow, but rain probable.

HometownGal
12-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Just started snowing in the Burgh. It's coming down pretty good right now.

SteelCityMan786
12-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Just started snowing in the Burgh. It's coming down pretty good right now.

That's a sign of what's also to come my way. I just hope that I do not get my school day canceled tomorrow. I'm hoping that I can be in Pittsburgh Thursday because as of now my cable provider won't be able to show the game on my home cable network.