PDA

View Full Version : Woodley at DE?

NastyLloyd95
12-12-2007, 10:50 AM
McBean coming up from the practice squad? WTF? Why not use Woodley? He ours best shot...

Over Eason, McBean etc...

thoughts?

P.S
Had my first tri to Heinz Feild from Vancouver BC for the Bengals game on my birthday.
What an amazing city, great friendly people, good foood/drink and the atmosphere blew me away.

Very friendly women at the bar as well..lol. Esp when Pitt U wins...

rbryan
12-12-2007, 10:58 AM
McBean was brought back for depth. He won't play much if at all. Woodley has been hurt. I can't get too excited about Eason either. Not many other options if Woodley isn't at full speed.

jjpro11
12-12-2007, 11:54 AM
woodley would get manhandled as a DE in a 3-4 scheme. he wasnt drafted to play DE in a 3-4 scheme, so he wont be playing it.

DACEB
12-12-2007, 12:07 PM
woodley would get manhandled as a DE in a 3-4 scheme. he wasnt drafted to play DE in a 3-4 scheme, so he wont be playing it.

That pretty much sums it up.

I love Woodley. I understand he is hurt right now, but I'll be the first to say he should be in more often on obvious passing situations. I like the way he rushes off the edge of a 4man line, but he probably would get manhandled as an everydown DE in the 3-4.

NastyLloyd95
12-12-2007, 12:21 PM
manhandled like McBean and Eason...

The Duke
12-12-2007, 01:04 PM

mcbeam hasn't even played a game and you're already saying he will get manhandled..... at least give him a chance

anyway like it was said, he's only brought for depth

revefsreleets
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
A) He's too small
B) The 3-4 DL's job is to be big and play big, taking up blockers to free up the LB's to make plays.

OneForTheToe
12-12-2007, 03:03 PM
With due respect, this reminds me of the Anthony Smith situation coming into camp this year. How often did we see a posts clamoring for Smith to start over Clark? What are the opinions about that now? Sometimes believe it or not the coaches, who see these guys every day, have a little more insight than those of us that watch them on TV, or open practices during camp. I think fans get enamored with big hits and such and tend to ignore, or not know, if a player is really playing their position well on a down-by-down basis. The little I have seen from Woodley gives me hope he will be a good linebacker, but if the coaches prefer to use players who are more accustomed to the 3-4 DE position over Woodley I can hardly argue against that with any credibility.

steelpride12
12-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Woodley might gets some reps in because in Tomlins press conference he spoke that its gonna take about 3 men to make up for Smith's position and i feel we may see woodley at that position this week or next!

19ward86
12-12-2007, 03:57 PM
just because someone is a 4-3 lineman means nothing, keisel played a lot of LB in college yet he plays DE. woodley runs a 4.5 roughly and not being at full speed could still make him an athletic lineman. i like mcbean anyway, he was a fourth rounder, most of those guys get playing time and he ended up on the practice squad. he might not be the next dwight freeney or anything but this guy is really good and the steelers have been keeping a big eye on him since his junior year in college.

FourThreeMafia
12-12-2007, 04:25 PM

Eason did a fine job filling in when Aaron Smith was out earlier this season. And McBean hasnt played at all yet. Chris Hoke and Travis Kirshke will be involved as well.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Yes it does mean something that someone is a 4-3 Dlineman or a 3-4 Dlineman....Look at all the teams in the NFL that run the 3-4 as their base defense....The DE are all around 6-3 to 6-5 and 290-300 pounds....Woodley isn't even close to that size....So no he won't be a full time DE in a 3-4....He could play DE in passing situations.....

He was drafted to play OLB in a 3-4....Now if Tomlin ever switches to a 4-3 in the future then Woodley would play DE in a 4-3....

Rhee Rhee
12-12-2007, 06:25 PM
McBean coming up from the practice squad? WTF? Why not use Woodley? He ours best shot...

well no that's kinda dumb he's smaller than clark haggans.... a 3-4 DE needs to be gigantic and strong... sorry to say but Lamarr fits none of the above descriptions.... (maybe strong)

lilyoder6
12-12-2007, 06:26 PM
i wouldn't just say no to woodly just b/c he is under-sized.. there are many ppl who were under-rated or under-sized at a position but ended up being a pretty good player.. i say give him a shot and see how he does...

lilyoder6
12-12-2007, 06:29 PM
99 Keisel, Brett RDE 6-5 285
56 Woodley, LaMarr LOLB 6-2 265

3 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter... i am betting that woodly is faster.. so i say give him a shot

Stlrs4Life
12-12-2007, 06:39 PM

Beat me to it.

jjpro11
12-12-2007, 06:41 PM

3 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter... i am betting that woodly is faster.. so i say give him a shot

it just doesnt work.. theres isnt a 3-4 DE in the league the size of woodley.

SteelersJW
12-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I was wondering the same thing myself. Coming into the draft wasn't the top ranked DE before we drafted him to play linebacker?

The Duke
12-12-2007, 07:04 PM

face it dude, it ain't gonna work. even tomlin said it after aaron was injured earlier this season, woodley will only play on some passing downs, that's it.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
12-12-2007, 07:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken this question was asked of Tomlin in his press conference yesterday. Someone asked if he would consider Woodley in Smiths place.

Tomlin's answer "no he's a linebacker"

lilyoder6
12-12-2007, 07:16 PM
i could care less about who plays in place of smith.. i bet who ever does will do a good job.. but just don't say someone doesn't have a chance to play a position just b/c of his size.. like i said b4 there are players who were told they were under-sized for there pos. and they turned up to be a good/great player..

19ward86
12-12-2007, 08:45 PM
dumerville from denver is 5ft 11in and weights about 280-290, he had a sack against the steelers and he has like 10 sacks this season.

NJarhead
12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I'd rather see them use Keisel and Hampton as down linemen and deploy five LB's. Woodley would be at a disadvantage as an end in the NFL (at least at his present size). Maybey use just Big Snack and 6 LB's at times.

But hey, None of us is Dick LeBeau right?

:tt02:

One4TheOtherThumb
12-12-2007, 11:06 PM
A 3-4 DE has to be a beast of a man that can engage a lineman and still defend two gaps....Woodley is a beast with a lot of potential as an OLB, but once he engages an NFL OT, his speed isn't going to to him a bit of good....

One4TheOtherThumb
12-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I saw the Dumerville mention...well he plays in a 4-3 scheme that always him to speed rush to the outside all he wants....like i said, in a 3-4 the DE has to engage the tackle and defend both gaps, Woodley's skill set does not fit that role at all...

Galax Steeler
12-13-2007, 04:01 AM
I would have to say eason woodley will not be the option for the whole game.

Steeldude
12-13-2007, 08:56 AM

thoughts?

3-4 defense

mcbean - 290

woodley - 265 and hurt

i doubt mcbean will see any time. kirschke and eason will try to fill smith's shoes.

revefsreleets
12-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Yes, there are guys that are "undersized" and can dominate at DE in the NFL. Jason Taylor comes to mind. He's 260, and pretty tall. BUT he plays in a 4-3.

It just doesn't work. It amazes me year after year how many people don't understand the basic principles of the 3-4 defense the Steelers run.

NastyLloyd95
12-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't understand I guess.....

just trying to figure out some options and get some feedback is all...

Dino 6 Rings
12-13-2007, 11:48 AM
A defensive end's job in a 3-4 defense is to run stop first. The linebackers are supposed to provide the pressure on the QB. Aaron Smith was playing so well, he was actually doing above his job, both stuffing the run and putting pressure on the QB in 1st and 2nd down passing situations.

It will be hard to replace that aspect of his game. Eason and Kirskie should be able to fill his role as a run stopper for that part of it. The Linebackers are really who need to play better in pressuring the QB and making any second level tackles in the running game.

It hurts not having Smith in their, but we should be good enough to adapt and over come.

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-13-2007, 02:33 PM

Thats the faith we like to see in our young up-and-comers

:rocket:

jjpro11
12-13-2007, 02:50 PM

why are we still even arguing over this? woodley isnt even a DE, he's a linebacker.. and that came straight from tomlin's mouth.

FourThreeMafia
12-13-2007, 04:11 PM

Youre right. While we are at it, we should also put Willie Reid in at RB, and Lawrence Timmons in at kicker. :dang:

Woodley would get smacked around as a 3-4 DE. Its not his position and never will be.

And they probably want a simalar player to Smith to fill in for him. Like someone else mentioned, a 3-4 DEs job is to stop the run, and occupy the OLine to allow LBers to get after the QB. I think Chris Hoke and Travis Kirshke will fill this role fine. Id rather have Aaron, but hey, we went 15-1 without Big Snack, so I think as long as we play smart, we can get by without Smith.

Dino 6 Rings
12-13-2007, 04:18 PM
We may see some 2-5-4 formations from the defense with Woodley on the field at the same time as Harrison, Haggans, Farrior and Foote. Hampton and Kiesel playing down.

lilyoder6
12-13-2007, 07:23 PM
i think we should sign simeon rice.. oh yea.... lol.. how many teams as he been with this yr??? he just needs to realize he isn't as good as he once was and retire