PDA

View Full Version : Steelers #1 Problem

Rhee Rhee
12-12-2007, 06:45 PM
It's definitely not the running game or the O-line as much as that dissapoints some....

our number one problem is the lack of a passrush.. and that's something we need to upgrade in the draft ya woopie james harrison was player of the month.... i do give him respect but we just aren't getting pressure... if we give a QB like brady that much time in the pocket we'll have problems... even a QB half as good tom brady. (hint hint.... David Garrard... fix this we fix our season... and possible second seed

Sharkissle29
12-12-2007, 07:11 PM
It's definitely not the running game or the O-line as much as that dissapoints some....

our number one problem is the lack of a passrush.. and that's something we need to upgrade in the draft ya woopie james harrison was player of the month.... i do give him respect but we just aren't getting pressure... if we give a QB like brady that much time in the pocket we'll have problems... even a QB half as good tom brady. (hint hint.... David Garrard... fix this we fix our season... and possible second seed

i honestly thought we got enough pressure on Brady to win that game. Sure we didnt get any sacks, but we did get enough pressure and knockdowns on him. towards the end of the game when we were down a lot, thats when you saw he had all day...our guys gave up. but minus those big plays, i think we did a good enough job of pressuring brady to win that game. im not too sure if thats our biggest problem.....

slippy
12-12-2007, 07:15 PM
besides the eagles and ravens (who both lost), who else has rushed brady this year?

the only D that might work against the pats right now is a 4-4-6, and even then i have my doubts.

it took all my might to give that one prop to NE. god i hate them (and i'm jealous).

fansince'76
12-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Sorry, but when your DBs are giving 10-yard cushions and the opposing QB is taking 2-3 step drops and immediately getting rid of the ball (particularly a QB with the quickest release since Marino was in his prime), the best pass rush in the world makes no difference. The biggest weakness of this team has been and remains the OL, period.

TackleMeBen
12-12-2007, 07:31 PM
well at least the o-line did seem to give ben a little more time this game. but they really need to step up and not have ben running for his life and trying to make plays outside the pocket.

fansince'76
12-12-2007, 07:35 PM
well at least the o-line did seem to give ben a little more time this game. but they really need to step up and not have ben running for his life and trying to make plays outside the pocket.

Yeah, Willie Colon was great at making Vrabel look like a knockoff of Reggie White. This team's #1 priority in the offseason is OL.

GBMelBlount
12-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Our number one problem is the lack of a passrush

I think this is a GREAT point about our D but agree w/ '76 that OL is most critical.

TackleMeBen
12-12-2007, 07:45 PM
I think this is a GREAT point about our D but agree w/ '76 that OL is most critical.
:iagree: the Oline is most critical to get fixed. we cant have them getting ben killed back there. and if were to go down we would definately be at the bottom.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I also think the o-line is the more critical position to address. The main problem I saw with our pass rush against the Pats was Brady was just getting rid of it quickly to Welker and Moss, in a few cases, on underneath routes. Our DB's should have been playing up more taking the underneath stuff away.

TackleMeBen
12-12-2007, 08:20 PM
I also think the o-line is the more critical position to address. The main problem I saw with our pass rush against the Pats was Brady was just getting rid of it quickly to Welker and Moss, in a few cases, on underneath routes.

do you think maybe ben can watch some film on brady and learn to do that?? he holds on to the ball a little too long sometimes

tony hipchest
12-12-2007, 08:30 PM
bitchy fans perhaps? :blah:

j/k thats our #1 asset.

19ward86
12-12-2007, 08:49 PM
i agree that we dont get enough sacks but we do get enough pressure, we are one of the top teams in sacks but those sacks usually just come in a couple of games. we had like 7 against the ravens. at that pace we should have about 91 sacks. but we get about 2-3 a game on average, just not every game are we getting sacks.

GBMelBlount
12-12-2007, 09:05 PM
i agree that we dont get enough sacks but we do get enough pressure, we are one of the top teams in sacks but those sacks usually just come in a couple of games. we had like 7 against the ravens. at that pace we should have about 91 sacks. but we get about 2-3 a game on average, just not every game are we getting sacks.

Yep, First Cleveland game was a sackfest too. Those two games probably count for a HUGE % of our total season sacks. I still would like to see more pressure.

slippy
12-12-2007, 09:13 PM
i don't agree that ben holds the ball too long; most of his spectacular plays happen after a breakdown and then a scramble, shedding D linemen, then hitting an "improvosing" receiver.

the O line is a huge problem, but a third receiver that could get open would help too. Miller could be this, but often he is in to block.

HometownGal
12-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I've been B & Ming about this all season. We do have a pass rush, but it isn't consistent. We rattled A$$ Chin's bones in the first half last week but seemed to let up in the second half which is when he torched us. Some of that credit can be given to the Pats OL, as they are a pretty good unit and protect the Sperminator very well, but our D has to keep the pressure coming and throw these pass happy QBs off their game.

I agree that our OL is the unit most in dire need of a shakeup followed closely by our STs.

TackleMeBen
12-12-2007, 09:33 PM
I've been B & Ming about this all season. We do have a pass rush, but it isn't consistent. We rattled A$$ Chin's bones in the first half last week but seemed to let up in the second half which is when he torched us. Some of that credit can be given to the Pats OL, as they are a pretty good unit and protect the Sperminator very well, but our D has to keep the pressure coming and throw these pass happy QBs off their game.

I agree that our OL is the unit most in dire need of a shakeup followed closely by our STs.

HTG, you used my name for metro tom..lol... :thumbsup:

Ed.R
12-12-2007, 09:49 PM
I thnik last weeks game it was obvious . Our secondary needs alot of help to say the least . It has been that way for awhile . :helmet::banging:

Rhee Rhee
12-13-2007, 12:18 AM
im just scared silly that we might lose to the jags and end up not getting in the playoffs.... but then again we gotta play really bad for that too happen....

Steeldude
12-13-2007, 12:35 AM

i believe the O-line is the main problem. who do you think is going to be starting next season? who are the future replacements? faneca is gone, starks is gone and smith is injury prone again. the steelers do not have a single star or even an above average lineman on the roster. the O-line could be a lot worse next season.

they addressed the pass rush in the last draft(timmons, woodley). it would be a waste to draft more LBs without finding out if those two can fill the spot. hopefully they can unseat foote, farrior or haggans. foote needs to ride the bench. he is out of position too often and is mowed down about as much. if timmons and woodley are busts, then yes the steelers need to do some more searching or get rid of the 3-4 zone blitz scheme.

you aren't going to get many sacks when the QB is using a 3-step drop and/or throwing short. the steelers DBs made it easier for brady by lining up deep. the steelers D is an old system and too easily exposed now.

Steeldude
12-13-2007, 12:38 AM
I thnik last weeks game it was obvious . Our secondary needs alot of help to say the least . It has been that way for awhile . :helmet::banging:

when clark and polamalu were healthy the secondary was fine. the secondary was covering the WRs, helping against the run and also helping blitz. an average LB corps is causing more problems than the secondary, IMO. harrison is pretty much all the steelers have at the moment. hopefully timmons and woodley start next season and show a vast improvment over the current starters.

Steeldude
12-13-2007, 12:42 AM
the only D that might work against the pats right now is a 4-4-6, and even then i have my doubts.

that D should work on any offense : )

ChronoCross
12-13-2007, 01:16 AM

Well a more improved pass rush would be nice. But your way off base. O Line is the key. When you go 3 games straight with out 100 yards plus on the ground. When your running neck and neck between kitna and big ben in being sacked. When Ben is always running for his life. When a designed play is for a bomb but the line cannot give the amount of time needed for arians deep pass plays to work. The offense has looked better but being behind one of the worst O Lines we have had in 10 years plus. Ya there is a big problem there.

No matter were we look for faults there will always be a spot we can point out.

geo123
12-13-2007, 05:16 AM
No doubt Ben needs a little more time, to throw deep. I just didn't see any plays that looked like they were designed to go deep. The passing and receiving yards in the NE game were terrible. We have the 24th ranked passing game. I know we can be better than that!

4xSBChamps
12-13-2007, 07:00 AM
The biggest weakness of this team has been and remains the OL, period.
I agree..... control the line-of-scrimmage, even in this day of 'pass-and-tab' football, and you can dictate the terms of the game:
how-long YOUR offense stays on the field, how-long their DEFENSE stays on the field, and determine which team's will-to-win is greater.

You can control the ball, physically protect your QB, move the chains, minimize the chance of injuries to your RBs, keep the clock moving, and choke the life out of your opposition:
this has been a Stiller tradition for 35+ seasons, and when they do it well, they win more-often than not.

SteelersJW
12-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Yeah I agree. For having the best defense in the NFL, we didn't do shit to brady during the game.

HometownGal
12-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah I agree. For having the best defense in the NFL, we didn't do shit to brady during the game.

That isn't totally true, JW. We had Fairy Tom flustered and frustrated for most of the first half, but we let up on him in the second half and that is when he burned us. I've said it before and I'll say it again - consistency is the key and our pass rush hasn't been consistent most of the season. I realize that defensive game plans do need to be adjusted to fit the mold of the game in the second half, but the one aspect of the game that the Steelers D has always been famous for (pass rush) is inconsistent.