PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency

Rhee Rhee
12-13-2007, 02:55 AM
although we are not known as a FA team at all... i feel if we pick up a big name FA named deangelo hall... we could be very effective... also if we are somehow able to land marion barber through restricted FA we'd be even more nuts... willie and marion are an unstoppable combo...

ThatGuy246
12-13-2007, 04:42 AM
I like the idea of adding Barber, though I don't think it's terribly likely. That said, I'd be very skeptical of a move to acquire Hall.

No one can deny his skill, but the Steelers don't typically tolerate players with such...volatile tendencies. Perhaps coming to one of the NFL's premier franchises would appease him somewhat, but I doubt we'd actively seek out (and fork over the cash for) a temperamental, albeit talented, player.

Just my two cents...can't deny that he'd be fun to see on our unit, but am concerned about the locker room influence.

Take care, all...

Galax Steeler
12-13-2007, 05:06 AM
I like the idea of adding Barber, though I don't think it's terribly likely. That said, I'd be very skeptical of a move to acquire Hall.

No one can deny his skill, but the Steelers don't typically tolerate players with such...volatile tendencies. Perhaps coming to one of the NFL's premier franchises would appease him somewhat, but I doubt we'd actively seek out (and fork over the cash for) a temperamental, albeit talented, player.

Just my two cents...can't deny that he'd be fun to see on our unit, but am concerned about the locker room influence.

Take care, all...

Agreed I don't think you will see hall in black and gold.

Aussie_steeler
12-13-2007, 06:48 AM
I see Barber as the Cowboys feature back next year and Jones is let go.

I think his style of running is exactly what the steelers are looking for but he would cost way to much to get.

Steeler in Carolina
12-13-2007, 07:31 AM
The Cowboys will lock up Barber, I think.

revefsreleets
12-13-2007, 10:21 AM
A) Barber is a tandem back. He'll falter if he's asked to carry the whole load. He's really not all that different than Parker size-wise, either.
B) DeAngelo Hall has about as much chance of being a Steeler as Mike Vick does.

TackleMeBen
12-13-2007, 11:09 AM
A) Barber is a tandem back. He'll falter if he's asked to carry the whole load. He's really not all that different than Parker size-wise, either.
B) DeAngelo Hall has about as much chance of being a Steeler as Mike Vick does.

what?? you mean we cant get mike vick and his 50 some dogs to join the team.. lol... :sofunny:

I think Hall has way too much mouth for this team. He has the TO syndrome..dont get your way go cry to the media.

Barber is a good back and he would be great. but i dont think jerry jones is going to let him go that easy

fansince'76
12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
IMO, Hall is the possibly the most overrated CB in the league. Combine that with a big mouth, and he's someone I don't want anywhere near the Steelers.

ShutDown24
12-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Barber I love but he would be too expensive IMO and Hall is grossly overrated.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Jones won't be resigned and the Cowboys will give Barber the highest tender and then sign him to a long-term contract.

DeAngelo Hall is the most overrated CB in the league. He runs his mouth, and runs his mouth, and then runs his mouth some more...but I really haven't seen anything from him that backs it up.

Michael Keller
12-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Way to early to speculate but it is fun. I do see the Steelers making a good solid move. Contrary to general impressions the Steelers do make occasional brilliant moves in free agency , Kevin Greene, Bettis, Farrier, & Harting. This offseason is the time to do make another brilliant FA move on the offensive line . In my opinion if the offensive line needs are not taken care of first other it would be a major dissapointment. Other needs can be achieved through the draft.

Second need is a power running back to help Parker carry the load.

This will be an intersting off season .

Rotorhead
12-13-2007, 12:16 PM
I would prefer to see upgrades to the OL in FA, we have good DB's IMO. After the OL we need a premier pass rusher to pressure the QB . . . any QB can pick apart the best secondary when they have enough time!

OneForTheToe
12-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Some of the decisions on FA's for next year will come down to how well the O'line plays the rest of the year. One of the groups the Rooney's have in the past been willing to infuse with a FA or two has been the offensive line.

Is Max Starks really capable of playing left tackle? I like Marvel Smith and hope he returns. however, you have to wonder about 30+ year old linemen with recurring back problems. I know that is cold given his years of service but that can be reality. The Steelers could face the possibility of losing their two best offensive linemen on a line that has been chastised most of the year.

I think we will draft some o'linemen, but I could see us looking at some reasonably priced free agents as well. This would be especially true if we don't have Marvel's or Allen’s contract next year.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-13-2007, 01:00 PM
I would rather upgrade the offensive line through FA that try to get a backup to Willie Parker.

I wouldn't mind franchising Alan Faneca, however I doubt he'd be too happy about it.

Is there anyone on the FA market that can actually play center? If so, I'd like to sign whomever that person is. I think Mahan is better suited to play the gaurd position.

The Duke
12-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Hall is an idiot. we don't need no idiots in this team

steelpride12
12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Barber will def. be kept by the cowboys after this year he is to much of a threat for them.
Hall is overrated and gets himself into to much trouble something the team won't want.
Finally like you said were not a FA team so those are both doubtful!

Dino 6 Rings
12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
I do like the idea of slapping Faneca with the franchise tag. They may have had that in mind all along.

BlastFurnace
12-13-2007, 05:53 PM
although we are not known as a FA team at all... i feel if we pick up a big name FA named deangelo hall... we could be very effective... also if we are somehow able to land marion barber through restricted FA we'd be even more nuts... willie and marion are an unstoppable combo...

No way on earth that Dallas let's Barber get away. No way. I live out near Dallas and they absolutely love the guy.

I don't want DeAngello Hall on the Steelers. Besides, the Steelers would never sign him anyway.

BlastFurnace
12-13-2007, 05:55 PM
To be honest...I will settle for a couple FA signings and a solid draft for once.

This years draft did not help one bit this season. As a matter of fact, for this season, this draft stunk. It might turn out differently next season, but this season added zero value on the field.

Rhee Rhee
12-13-2007, 06:16 PM
way back when Jerome was with the Rams everyone had the same opinion that Jerome wasn't a "team" player he was just a selfish running back who wanted $$$$ look at him now he is one of Pittsburghs finest and has become the 4th leading rusher in the NFL history... (or is it 5th?) marion barber eh it's iffy we probably wont land him but ike and deangelo will give us a pair of CB that will be feared

BlastFurnace
12-13-2007, 06:19 PM
way back when Jerome was with the Rams everyone had the same opinion that Jerome wasn't a "team" player he was just a selfish running back who wanted $$$$ look at him now he is one of Pittsburghs finest and has become the 4th leading rusher in the NFL history... (or is it 5th?) marion barber eh it's iffy we probably wont land him but ike and deangelo will give us a pair of CB that will be feared

Who fears DeAngello Hall? Honestly. He is fast, but that's about it. He's an average tackler at best.

He's not that great.

FourThreeMafia
12-13-2007, 06:35 PM
LOL, I would literally be sick if we signed DeAngelo Hall.

It will NEVER happen thoiugh, so I am not worried.

He doesnt fit our system at all. Our CBs are asked to play alot of zone coverage, play physical and make tackles....3 things DeAngelo Hall doesnt do well. Did you see Hines Ward humiliate him last year with one shoe on? No thanks.

The Steelers have went after two big name FAs, Jerome Bettis and James Farrior, and even they werent bonified stars until the got into black and gold.

The Steelers will in all likelihood draft a CB on the first day. We have Townsend, who is avaiable for social security, but still a very smart player. We have Ike Taylor, who is playing like a top 3 CB this year. Bryant McFadden is one of the best nicklebacks in the league, but not a solid starter yet, and William Gay, who still has alot to learn. He is more of a project.

If we go after any FA, it will be a guard, like Ryan Lilja of the Colts. Not a road grater like Faneca, but a much better pass blocker.

We may also go after a FA WR. Cedric Wilson is average at best, Nate Washington flat out sucks and needs to be cut this offseason. Im sick of carrying his dead weight around because of his athletisism. Id rather have an average athlete thats a great football player than a great athlete and a bad football player.

Id like DJ Hackett or Bryant Johnson, but I dont see that happening. Malcolm Floyd could be a nice red zone weapon, but he isnt good for much else.

lilyoder6
12-13-2007, 08:18 PM
it's a shame that the jets moved in front of us in the draft.. i really wanted to get revis.... i agree that in the 1st day they'll get lineman,cb, or wr...

Galax Steeler
12-14-2007, 05:19 AM

He doesnt fit our system at all. Our CBs are asked to play alot of zone coverage, play physical and make tackles....3 things DeAngelo Hall doesnt do well. Did you see Hines Ward humiliate him last year with one shoe on? No thanks.

The Steelers have went after two big name FAs, Jerome Bettis and James Farrior, and even they werent bonified stars until the got into black and gold.

The Steelers will in all likelihood draft a CB on the first day. We have Townsend, who is avaiable for social security, but still a very smart player. We have Ike Taylor, who is playing like a top 3 CB this year. Bryant McFadden is one of the best nicklebacks in the league, but not a solid starter yet, and William Gay, who still has alot to learn. He is more of a project.

If we go after any FA, it will be a guard, like Ryan Lilja of the Colts. Not a road grater like Faneca, but a much better pass blocker.

We may also go after a FA WR. Cedric Wilson is average at best, Nate Washington flat out sucks and needs to be cut this offseason. Im sick of carrying his dead weight around because of his athletisism. Id rather have an average athlete thats a great football player than a great athlete and a bad football player.

Id like DJ Hackett or Bryant Johnson, but I dont see that happening. Malcolm Floyd could be a nice red zone weapon, but he isnt good for much else.

Nice post I also think wilson should be gone this year.

BlastFurnace
12-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Nice post I also think wilson should be gone this year.

Why does everyone want Wilson gone so bad? Honestly, behind Holmes and Ward, what other viable option at WR do we have. Wilson is better than Washington or Reid and has produced when called upon.

Wilson is not a primary problem on this team. He is not an All Pro, but he is certainly not someone to kick to the curb without careful consideration of what is left after our #1 and 2 receivers.

fansince'76
12-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Why does everyone want Wilson gone so bad? Honestly, behind Holmes and Ward, what other viable option at WR do we have. Wilson is better than Washington or Reid and has produced when called upon.

Wilson is not a primary problem on this team. He is not an All Pro, but he is certainly not someone to kick to the curb without careful consideration of what is left after our #1 and 2 receivers.

I agree - Ced has been a hell of a lot more reliable than Washington or Reid.

Jman
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM

You're right...I think I'd be sick.

WHEW!

With all respect, I couldn't disagree more. I believe the Steelers will go after flagrantly obvious O line help. Townsend is a great player, despite the age. His replacement I doubt will come this year. Ike Taylor is outstanding, and I'd put him 1 on 1 with the top in the league, so I guess I do agree with you there. McFadden is a good solid corner, and I believe he can start. William Gay is a young player. I think that speaks for itself.

Not sure if you are calling out Alan or not, but I do believe the way Alan played fit the Steelers in the past, but not the way they are going. I agree in that we need a better line, not a better guard.

Nate Washington has been the project, if anyone. Is he a waste of talent? I don't think so at all. He has bailed out Ben a few times this season. Cedric is a anvil on the cap. I believe he is paid 2 mil a year... for????

Hackett???? :yawn:

Steeldude
12-14-2007, 01:08 PM
McFadden is a good solid corner, and I believe he can start.

pretty much what i have seen from mcfadden are PI penalties and some ridiculous celebrations after routine plays.

noto45
12-14-2007, 06:17 PM
we will sign a 3rd level free agent thats it!

revefsreleets
12-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Like James Farrior? Jeff Hartings? Charlie Batch? Kevin Greene? Kimo von Oelhoffen?

All top notch free agents. When you draft well, FA's only need to fill gaps. Pittsburgh is brilliant at it.

Dynasty
12-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I would like to see us pick up DJ Hackett, but I think the Chickens of the Sea will resign him. He has played well for them whenever they have asked him.

lilyoder6
12-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh 6-6 and 340 pounds.. i think he is a good prospect for pitt.. with evryone thinking that alan is leaving and starks leaving..

Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas i don't know if this might be a good pick... he is having a good sr yr.. but idk

for WR maybe Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma he is 6-4, 215 pounds pretty tall threat wr and i think has been a possesion WR for OU

Jman
12-15-2007, 07:38 PM
pretty much what i have seen from mcfadden are PI penalties and some ridiculous celebrations after routine plays.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think this tandem (Taylor and McFadden) is the future of the Steelers for years to come.

lilyoder6
12-15-2007, 08:30 PM
i think that justin smith of the bungles is going to be a FA and he is only 28-29yrs old.. could help the d-line possibly

Jman
12-15-2007, 08:55 PM
i think that justin smith of the bungles is going to be a FA and he is only 28-29yrs old.. could help the d-line possibly

Justin Smith... Isn't he a defensive end? I am not sure but I think so...I think we have some solid DEs in Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel.

SteelersJW
12-15-2007, 09:06 PM
The Steelers never get anybody in free agency. Don't keep your hopes up.

Jman
12-15-2007, 09:07 PM

To name one very missed player...Ryan Clark among others in the past...

FourThreeMafia
12-16-2007, 12:40 AM
With all respect, I couldn't disagree more. I believe the Steelers will go after flagrantly obvious O line help. Townsend is a great player, despite the age. His replacement I doubt will come this year. Ike Taylor is outstanding, and I'd put him 1 on 1 with the top in the league, so I guess I do agree with you there. McFadden is a good solid corner, and I believe he can start. William Gay is a young player. I think that speaks for itself.

Believe me, I am all for adressing the OLine in the draft, but not with all three picks on the first day. IMO, needs for this team in order are:

1. OT
2. DE
3. CB
4. C
5. WR

Townsend is a GOOD player, but he is slowing down. He is a sure tackler and he is fundamentally sound, but as he ages he is going to keep slowing down, and we need to groom someone to take over. McFadden hasnt proven he is that guy yet, and if we sit on our hands and wait for him to come around, we will be screwed when Townsy calls it a day. Gay is a project, and its hard to gauge him at this point.

Not sure if you are calling out Alan or not, but I do believe the way Alan played fit the Steelers in the past, but not the way they are going. I agree in that we need a better line, not a better guard.

Wasnt calling Alan out, but Lilja is cheaper, a better pass blocker, and is good in the running game, plus he will be cheaper. Faneca is going to get paid top 5 money somewhere, and as much as I love what Big Red has been for us over the years, he isnt worth that right now.

Nate Washington has been the project, if anyone. Is he a waste of talent? I don't think so at all. He has bailed out Ben a few times this season. Cedric is a anvil on the cap. I believe he is paid 2 mil a year... for????

Washington is terible. He has terrible hands, he struggles to get sepearation and he cant find holes in project. Wilson has better hands and is a better football player, just not quite the athlete. Im not a big fan of Wilson, but Id take him over Washington anyday. Washington should be on the practice squad. I cant see Young or Baker being worse than him.

Hackett???? :yawn:

You yawn at Hackett, yet you want to keep Washington? I dont get that

Hackett is a potential #1WR and a definite #2. Washington is 3rd string/PS material. Hackett is a much superior football talent, and almost as athletic as Nate.

There are still some Nate Washington supporters out there, and I respect that, but wait until he drops one of those ridiculously easy catches in the 4th quarter of the playoffs that loses us a game.

He is dead weight. He hasnt progressed in 3 years. I remember some Steelers fans were talking about how great Washington was after he had those 2 TD catches against the Ravens. Not hard to catch passes when you have no one around you.

Ive given Washington as many chances as anyone. I just finally realized he is never going to be that good.

FourThreeMafia
12-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think this tandem (Taylor and McFadden) is the future of the Steelers for years to come.

McFadden is a quality nickleback. At this point, he is not starting material. He has one year left on his contract. If he doesnt step up, he wont be resigned.

FourThreeMafia
12-16-2007, 12:59 AM

Jeff Hartings and James Farrior are the biggest FA weve signed in recent memory, and they made an offer to Dan Marino late in his career, but he decided to finish his career with the Phins.

ANother reason we havent signed many big FA is because we are a quality drafting team and we usually have capable backups.

We didnt have a capable backup for Hartings, and we signed Mahan. He hasnt worked out, but he is easily better than Okobi.

We signed Jeff Hartings in 2001, right after Dermontti Dawson retired.

We signed Farrior in 2002 after losing Kirkland in 2000 and struggled to replace him.

We have plenty of room under the cap this year to. We still have to sign Ben long term, but even after that we have some good money. All that dead money will be off the cap, and Faneca will be gone, and probably Haggans as well.

We have alot of needs and some money to work with. The Steelers wont sign any HUGE names like Asaunte Samuel, but they will make some moves in FA this offseason. Too many losses over the last 3 years to address JUST in the draft.

Galax Steeler
12-16-2007, 05:59 AM

I think we need to pick up someone more reliable then wilson sometimes he plays like a reciever other times he don't show up at all.

Steeldude
12-16-2007, 08:02 AM

uh...ok...

who said people weren't allowed to have their own opinion?

i merely gave my opinion on mcfadden. IMO, he is nothing more than chad scott with a mouth.

Elvis
12-16-2007, 09:22 AM
McFadden is a quality nickleback. At this point, he is not starting material. He has one year left on his contract. If he doesnt step up, he wont be resigned.
:coffee:
I agree mostly with your comments here. He is a decent nickleback and he definitely needs to step up his play and take that starting spot away from Townsend.
But I think that if we are going to sign a big time FA it must be on the offensiveline at the LT or LG positions.
:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2007, 12:26 PM
What would happen if we slapped faneca with a franchise tag? that means before he can go to another team, we have to OK it?

Nuclear war in the Steelers locker room