PDA

View Full Version : What is it Going to take??

noto45
12-13-2007, 07:24 AM
It seems that we are a good team year in and year out but what is it going to take for us to be a great team??? In my opinion we have to dulge a bit more into free agenxy. I am a Huge Rooney fan how can you not trust a Rooney BUT we have to adapt to the situation around us. WE are the best drafting team and we make the most out of later round picks making them into pro bowlers or solid players. What does everyone think?

revefsreleets
12-13-2007, 09:23 AM
I sincerely doubt the Steelers are going to do a 180 and change their whole system.

Steeldude
12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
It seems that we are a good team year in and year out but what is it going to take for us to be a great team??? In my opinion we have to dulge a bit more into free agenxy. I am a Huge Rooney fan how can you not trust a Rooney BUT we have to adapt to the situation around us. WE are the best drafting team and we make the most out of later round picks making them into pro bowlers or solid players. What does everyone think?

i really haven't been too impressed with the steelers 2nd day drafts of late. sure they find some gems on the first day, but most teams do. their 2nd day picks aren't so great.

2006 - only one out of the 6 picks on the 2nd day remain with the team. colon was taken in the 4th round and the jury is still out.

2005 - only one out of the five 2nd day picks remain. kemo remains on the bench where he will most likely stay.

2004 - none of the 2nd day picks remain.

2003 - none of the 2nd day picks remain.

2002 - two out of the five 2nd day picks remain. both are starters(foote and kiesel).

2001 - none remain.

2000 - one out of the six 2nd picks remain(haggans).

i am not sure if that's good, bad or average for NFL teams.

what year did modrak leave?

remember 2nd picks like lloyd, everett, warren williams, hoge, john jackson, nickerson, hinkle, wolfley, ilkin, terry long, olsavsky, strzelczyk and barry foster?

TackleMeBen
12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
i agree with rev, i dont think they are going to change their whole system. and you know the saying.. if its not broke dont fix it.... (except for the Oline:wink02:)

BAS
12-13-2007, 10:21 AM
It's tough to say what's going to happen with the new coach. People keep comparing things to the past few years.... but a lot of what went on in the past was due to Cowher's influence - and that just doesn't apply anymore.

I wouldn't judge Tomlin too much on his first draft season either. A lot of what happens this season is due to him learning the ropes. We'll see how the draft and team management changes in the coming seasons to reflect Tomlin's approach as opposed to Cowher's.

I don't expect the player management to change so much, but I certainly see a change in player evaluation in the works. Hopefully... Tomlin is a quick learner and good study when it comes to evaluating potential and current players.

Dino 6 Rings
12-13-2007, 11:29 AM
You mean, be a great team like a team that wins the Superbowl in 2005, 2 seasons ago? Great like that?

Or do you mean a great team like the 90s Bills, the 80s Broncos, the 70s Vikings or the 80s Dolphins? Just checking...

Me have made the Playoffs for the last 14 years minus a year or two, won a superbowl, been in 2 and are going back to the playoffs...would you rather we have a 20 year funk like the Pats, or the Bucs, or the Packers and not even show up for years at a time, or how about the 9ers? or Giants? Would it better if we were more like those teams?

I'd rather be a playoff team every single year and at least have a shot of winning it all as opposed to being the Bengals, the Rams, the Saints, the Vikings...teams that once in a while make a showing and then fall off the planet for 10 - 15 years at a time.

Thanks...But I'll take MY STEELERS!!!

susielr
12-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I also believe the Steelers are a good team but don't show up like the team they are every week..I don't know why. I believe we are in the right direction with Ben. He is still young(but good) and has many more years of learning ahead of him. I just hope he does it with the Steelers.

stillers4me
12-13-2007, 05:01 PM
The Steelers of '07 are a work in progress. Tomlin struck gold and inherited a talented Bill Cowher team. It will take several years for it to evolve into Mike Tomlin's team. Next year should be interesting, to say the least.

HometownGal
12-13-2007, 05:07 PM
You mean, be a great team like a team that wins the Superbowl in 2005, 2 seasons ago? Great like that?

Or do you mean a great team like the 90s Bills, the 80s Broncos, the 70s Vikings or the 80s Dolphins? Just checking...

Me have made the Playoffs for the last 14 years minus a year or two, won a superbowl, been in 2 and are going back to the playoffs...would you rather we have a 20 year funk like the Pats, or the Bucs, or the Packers and not even show up for years at a time, or how about the 9ers? or Giants? Would it better if we were more like those teams?

I'd rather be a playoff team every single year and at least have a shot of winning it all as opposed to being the Bengals, the Rams, the Saints, the Vikings...teams that once in a while make a showing and then fall off the planet for 10 - 15 years at a time.

Thanks...But I'll take MY STEELERS!!!

Great post, Dino! :cheers: I couldn't have said it any better.

BlastFurnace
12-13-2007, 05:33 PM
i really haven't been too impressed with the steelers 2nd day drafts of late. sure they find some gems on the first day, but most teams do. their 2nd day picks aren't so great.

2006 - only one out of the 6 picks on the 2nd day remain with the team. colon was taken in the 4th round and the jury is still out.

2005 - only one out of the five 2nd day picks remain. kemo remains on the bench where he will most likely stay.

2004 - none of the 2nd day picks remain.

2003 - none of the 2nd day picks remain.

2002 - two out of the five 2nd day picks remain. both are starters(foote and kiesel).

2001 - none remain.

2000 - one out of the six 2nd picks remain(haggans).

i am not sure if that's good, bad or average for NFL teams.

what year did modrak leave?

remember 2nd picks like lloyd, everett, warren williams, hoge, john jackson, nickerson, hinkle, wolfley, ilkin, terry long, olsavsky, strzelczyk and barry foster?

I agree with you. Our 2007 draft has stunk for this season. Not one of them...other than Sepulveda...has done anything worth noting the entire season. I don't count a single fumble recovery or a single sack as notable either.

Edman
12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Hello, the 2007 class was just drafted. Can we wait a few years before we call it a bust?

I wish I had a time machine, where I could take spoiled Steelers fans back pre-70's where the Steelers were what the Pirates are today: Horrible.

steelcity58
12-13-2007, 06:57 PM
1. Need a good O-Line pick in the 08 draft or free agency.

2. Need a tall, not necessarily a burner, but a possession receiver, much like Plaxico, but minus the attitude.

3. Need a corner besides Deshea Townsend to compliment Ike.

Ike Taylor did well when in true single coverage against Moss last week.

Moss got his TD's on Smith, and when Ike was "helped" by a dropping linebacker,
who just really and truly screwed Ike out of position..

When it was just Ike and Moss...it was pretty damn quiet.

Ike's the best CB the Steelers have had since Woodson's glory days.

Period.

4. Tomlin. Needs to find the balance between being a player's drinking buddy, and a leader. He'll get there. Tomlin is smart...very smart and quietly passionate about the game.

Just needs a bit of fine tuning.

5. The Steelers need to remain what has always and will always be in vogue and will win games. A 50/50...60/40 running/passing team.

Just because the Pats, who cheat blatantly and are complete jerks about it no less,
can't run and pass every down, is not even remotely cause for the Steelers to suddenly want to be the Patriots.

To even entertain this idea is asinine.

Stlr4ever
12-13-2007, 07:09 PM
WE are the best drafting team and we make the most out of later round picks making them into pro bowlers or solid players. What does everyone think?

I would have to disagree with you here. We are a pretty good drafting team but not great. Since Rod Woodson left, we have not had a HoF calibre DB. Our secondary has been awful for the most part. Did you notice how well the Eagles and Ravens DBs performed against the Pats? Now, these are not great teams but did fare much better than our team. We have to start acquiring good players for key positions(DBs, OL and LBs) via trade or drafting. I don't care much for the Pats. But I appreciate the fact that they don't have any tolerance for underachievers.

BlastFurnace
12-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Hello, the 2007 class was just drafted. Can we wait a few years before we call it a bust?

I wish I had a time machine, where I could take spoiled Steelers fans back pre-70's where the Steelers were what the Pirates are today: Horrible.

Ok...fair enough. This season...we have received absolutely nothing from them.

Fire Haley
12-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Hopefully... Tomlin is a quick learner and good study when it comes to evaluating potential and current players.

I want to see him light a fire under these guys, the time is now.

Cowher's teams always seemed to build steam later in the year...that's something Tomlin should watch. I don't want to see a fading team in Dec.....we're not the Gals.

Somebody tell him to kick some butt.

Steel Pit
12-14-2007, 01:58 AM
I would have to disagree with you here. We are a pretty good drafting team but not great. Since Rod Woodson left, we have not had a HoF calibre DB. Our secondary has been awful for the most part. Did you notice how well the Eagles and Ravens DBs performed against the Pats? Now, these are not great teams but did fare much better than our team. We have to start acquiring good players for key positions(DBs, OL and LBs) via trade or drafting. I don't care much for the Pats. But I appreciate the fact that they don't have any tolerance for underachievers.

I believe that the Steelers would draft a few pro bowl or hall of fame cornerbacks if they had a couple of 4-12 or 5-11 seasons. The Steelers consistently draft near the bottom of the 1st round and it's rare to see a projected-great cornerback fall to the bottom of the 1st round.

Free agency? I don't want to see the Steelers ruining their salary cap by over paying for a hyped up free agent. Many teams have tried the free agency route and most of them have failed and paid dearly for it.

Galax Steeler
12-14-2007, 04:05 AM
I believe that the Steelers would draft a few pro bowl or hall of fame cornerbacks if they had a couple of 4-12 or 5-11 seasons. The Steelers consistently draft near the bottom of the 1st round and it's rare to see a projected-great cornerback fall to the bottom of the 1st round.

Free agency? I don't want to see the Steelers ruining their salary cap by over paying for a hyped up free agent. Many teams have tried the free agency route and most of them have failed and paid dearly for it.

Agreed free agency is not the answer.

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Go over the Steelers last 1st rounders and 2nd rounders
Santonio Holmes (home run)
Anthony Smith (work in progress with a big mouth)
Heath Miller (home run)
Bryant McFadden (Broke up the pass on 3rd and 4th down in the Colts 05 game after the Bettis fumble. Thank god)
Ben (home run)
Colclough (had potential, busted out)
Troy P (home run)
Alonzo Jackson (Special teams guy only)
Kendall Simmons (home run)
Antwaan El (great role player)
Casey Hampton (home run)
Kendrell Bell (bust)

Compare that to some other teams around the league. Who else has starters from the last 6 first round picks.

Dynasty
12-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Heath Miller (home run)
Bryant McFadden (Broke up the pass on 3rd and 4th down in the Colts 05 game after the Bettis fumble. Thank god)
Ben (home run)
Troy P (home run)
Casey Hampton (home run)
Kendrell Bell (bust)

Compare that to some other teams around the league. Who else has starters from the last 6 first round picks.

I mostly agree with you, but I wouldn't call Simmons a home run, and Bell was good for us which is all I care about... who gives a shit about what he did for the cheifs?

lilyoder6
12-14-2007, 06:15 PM
i can only remember his rookie yr that bell did good.. then after that he got injured too much.. and then the cheifs over-paided him... simmons is good.. probably better than the avg player at his pos.

moedap
12-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Though the NFL has a salary cap and a revenue sharing system the big market teams like Dallas, Washington, N.Y. Giants, and yes N.E. Patriots, Chicago Bears can offer the free agent so many other revenue streams. The Rooney's have to work with what they have. The amount of money they would have to offer a top notch free agent would tilt the risk/reward scale to far in one direction depending on the outcome of the season. The only outcome I would expect is a Super Bowl. I already expect that now with my Steeler googles on and all.

I want to experience back to back Super Bowl wins but not at the expense of a miscalculated free agent purchase that destroys a stable organization.

Steeldude
12-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Heath Miller (home run)
Ben (home run)
Troy P (home run)
Casey Hampton (home run)
Kendrell Bell (bust)

smith is only starting because of an injury, not because of his play.

simmons a homerun??? a 1st round pick who has done very little since being here. well besides getting shoved around and getting blown by.

i don't consider holmes a homerun just yet. if he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder than yes he is a possible homerun. kind of early to judge 2006 picks. i may not think he is a homerun yet, but he isn't a bust either.

2006 - 40 rec, 824 yds, 2 TDs
2007 - 40 rec, 677 yds, 7 TDs

mcfadden seems to be a bust at the moment. has shown nothing but a mouth and the ability to collect PI penalties. but he is still fairly new so the jury is still out.

miller is not a bust, i agree. but he certainly isn't doing anything great to suggest that he was a 1st round pick. that may not be his fault. the steelers really don't utilize the TEs that much. which makes his pick in the first rather suspect. be that as it may he certainly hasn't hurt the steelers :smile:

most teams do well with their 1st and 2nd rounders. don't forget the steelers also do some major flops in the 1st round. i am sure you remember aaron jones, worley, richardson, jamain stephens, darryl sims, tom ricketts and rienstra

Rhee Rhee
12-15-2007, 02:30 AM
I sincerely doubt the Steelers are going to do a 180 and change their whole system.

thats what people said about the pats...

but anyway i agree with u that its doubtful but if we are to return to 70s greatness we have to follow the succesful teams in the league and use FA and draft VERY well

Elvis
12-15-2007, 05:48 AM
smith is only starting because of an injury, not because of his play.

simmons a homerun??? a 1st round pick who has done very little since being here. well besides getting shoved around and getting blown by.

i don't consider holmes a homerun just yet. if he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder than yes he is a possible homerun. kind of early to judge 2006 picks. i may not think he is a homerun yet, but he isn't a bust either.

2006 - 40 rec, 824 yds, 2 TDs
2007 - 40 rec, 677 yds, 7 TDs

mcfadden seems to be a bust at the moment. has shown nothing but a mouth and the ability to collect PI penalties. but he is still fairly new so the jury is still out.

miller is not a bust, i agree. but he certainly isn't doing anything great to suggest that he was a 1st round pick. that may not be his fault. the steelers really don't utilize the TEs that much. which makes his pick in the first rather suspect. be that as it may he certainly hasn't hurt the steelers :smile:

most teams do well with their 1st and 2nd rounders. don't forget the steelers also do some major flops in the 1st round. i am sure you remember aaron jones, worley, richardson, jamain stephens, darryl sims, tom ricketts and rienstra
I have to dissagree with ya about Holmes myself. He is a complete package of what the Steelers need and when healthy he gives us the Big Play Threat that we have lacked for years. He is gonna be a big producer in the future, but right now he is playing along side of on of the best all around WR's in the game in Hines Ward. I think that you need to check more into Heath Miller as well, when the man is thrown to, he gets the job done most of the time... he was well worth the 1st round pick for him.
:coffee: