PDA

View Full Version : Ben sits out practice again

jjpro11
12-13-2007, 02:52 PM
this sucks.. every time we face the jags, we have some sort of injury issue at QB.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07347/841464-66.stm

Roethlisberger sits out practice again
Thursday, December 13, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not practicing for the second straight day because of a sore right shoulder.

Roethlisberger also did not practice on Wednesday. Backup Charlie Batch has taken over for him both days.

Coach Mike Tomlin on Tuesday announced that Roethlisberger had a sore shoulder but that it was nothing serious.

"Ben Roethlisberger has a sore shoulder, which may limit him some on Wednesday,'' Tomlin said.

"I don't want to make more out of it than what it is. It is just sore."

HometownGal
12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
The word around the Burgh sports media world is that Ben is definitely going to play on Sunday.

Maybe Tomlin is pulling a Beliprick maneuver. :wink02:

TackleMeBen
12-13-2007, 03:03 PM
The word around the Burgh sports media world is that Ben is definitely going to play on Sunday.

Maybe Tomlin is pulling a Beliprick maneuver. :wink02:
you know brady always has a sore shoulder..why not ben. :wink02:

Atlanta Dan
12-13-2007, 03:04 PM
IMO Ben will play - this season could still unravel completely with 2 road games to follow

TackleMeBen
12-13-2007, 03:18 PM
IMO Ben will play - this season could still unravel completely with 2 road games to follow

where is the faith dan?? well look at it this way if the season did unravel. there is always duke basketball :wink02:

jjpro11
12-13-2007, 03:27 PM
i expect him to play as well.. i just hope this doesnt hurt his performance.. i remember the finger injuries he had really effected his ability to throw the long ball.

Atlanta Dan
12-13-2007, 03:46 PM
where is the faith dan?? well look at it this way if the season did unravel. there is always duke basketball :wink02:

Faith is not blind. I did not say will, I said could.

Lose Sunday and you then have a road game against an improving Rams team on a short workweek.

After that, do you want any part of having to win in Baltimore?

With any playoff game the next weekend, I do not even want key starters to play that Baltimore game. Hopefully win the next 2 and sit everyone December 30.

TV viewing issue for us next week - Pitt-Duke starts next Thursday at 7 and I believe Steelers-Rams kicks off around 8:15. What to do if Pitt-Duke is close?

Dino 6 Rings
12-13-2007, 04:14 PM
He'll Play. No doubt.

Troy P too.

Dino 6 Rings
12-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Watch the Steelers, listen to the Pitt game.

TackleMeBen
12-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Faith is not blind. I did not say will, I said could.

Lose Sunday and you then have a road game against an improving Rams team on a short workweek.

After that, do you want any part of having to win in Baltimore?

With any playoff game the next weekend, I do not even want key starters to play that Baltimore game. Hopefully win the next 2 and sit everyone December 30.

TV viewing issue for us next week - Pitt-Duke starts next Thursday at 7 and I believe Steelers-Rams kicks off around 8:15. What to do if Pitt-Duke is close?

faith is not blind, but love is..lol
always watch duke :wink02:. listen to the steelers..that way you wont have to hear grumble:wink02: and collinsworthless in the booth. i much rather listen to the steelers radio announcers on sirius.

BlastFurnace
12-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Although Ben winces whenever the wind blows...he's a tough guy when it comes down to it. He'll play.

Stlr4ever
12-13-2007, 05:56 PM
you know brady always has a sore shoulder..why not ben. :wink02:

I thinks his shoulder injury is for real. He took several hits from the Pats DL--thanks to our OL. Thank God he didn't have a more serious injury. The way our OL played in the 2nd half, it was pitiful. How could their DL spin off of a double team and hit Ben?

siss
12-13-2007, 07:12 PM
The way our Oline is playing Im just happy Ben is still walking...

steelpride12
12-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Pro-Ben gets good rest for a physical Jags defense that will be after him all night, but Ben will be fired up and ready to play.
Con-Ben is a little rusty of a few days off of practice and plays a bad game against a strong physical defense which will make you pay(Bens 2 INT's last year)!

jjpro11
12-13-2007, 09:32 PM
I thinks his shoulder injury is for real. He took several hits from the Pats DL--thanks to our OL. Thank God he didn't have a more serious injury. The way our OL played in the 2nd half, it was pitiful. How could their DL spin off of a double team and hit Ben?

its definitely real.. brady's shoulder injury is just another FU from belichick to the nfl.

ChronoCross
12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
short week.. getting ready to go against the 27 ranked pass defense. Ben will be fresh and practice friday.. Coach probably is just resting ben is all..

Galax Steeler
12-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Ben is tough he won't miss the game.

TackleMeBen
12-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Ben is tough he won't miss the game.

:iagree: but this is tomlin not cowher, and i think if tomlin thinks its in the best interest to sit ben this weekend for health reason he will do so.

RP_McMurphy
12-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Problem with the Jaguars pass defense is when you go four wides on them. They don't play well spread out. However with a spread offense you risk your quarterback as he is not under max protect. The Jaguars will be doing some upgrading thru the draft and free agency to the pass defense.

fansince'76
12-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Problem with the Jaguars pass defense is when you go four wides on them. They don't play well spread out. However with a spread offense you risk your quarterback as he is not under max protect. The Jaguars will be doing some upgrading thru the draft and free agency to the pass defense.

I think this is a wash, considering our horrible pass blocking. It'll be that much worse for us if Batch winds up playing.

stillers4me
12-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Ben practiced today.

nicesteel4life
12-14-2007, 12:56 PM
LONGGGGGGGGGGG sigh of some relief!

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Ben practiced today.

Any word as to whether he screamed in pain and fell writhing to the ground after every pass or simply handed off?:smile:

STEELtownHAVOX
12-14-2007, 02:04 PM
ben's a p i m p, lets win this damn game

Fire Haley
12-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Ben practiced today - he'll play.

Steelers' Roethlisberger returns to practice
Friday, December 14, 2007
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice today after missing two days with a sore right (throwing) shoulder.

His return means he likely will start Sunday against Jacksonville.

Illinois Steel
12-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Any word as to whether he screamed in pain and fell writhing to the ground after every pass or simply handed off?:smile:

video on kdka website showed him making a couple of short range pases no big wind ups. maybe this week we can destroy a defense using the slant route and bubble screen:wink02:

TackleMeBen
12-14-2007, 03:34 PM

dan you are killing me:sofunny:...

steelpride12
12-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Ben practiced today - he'll play.

Steelers' Roethlisberger returns to practice
Friday, December 14, 2007

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice today after missing two days with a sore right (throwing) shoulder.

His return means he likely will start Sunday against Jacksonville.

Thank the sweet lord.
I was reading in the paper today and the headline said Batch might start as much as i love him my heart dropped!

Blonde Bomber
12-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Batch starting in wind and snow might not work out bad tho, considering our O-line could concentrate on run blocking mainly.

Preacher
12-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Hmmm....

This makes sense as to why we weren't throwing over the top last game.

The Pats DB's were able to lock down on us.

OK... it is starting to make sense now.

TackleMeBen
12-15-2007, 06:42 AM
you have to love this quote:

As for his arm strength, Roethlisberger was asked if he "aired it out" in practice.

"You have to ask Coach (Mike) Tomlin," said Roethlisberger, who repeated that instruction a few times in regard to his injury and when and where it occurred.

Tomlin didn't speak with reporters yesterday.

Galax Steeler
12-15-2007, 07:04 AM
With the weater being a factor I don't think ben is going to have to throw deep just short passes and handoffs.

HometownGal
12-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Ben is listed as questionable on the Steelers injury report. (Please - let this be a smokescreen).

Steelers Notebook: Roethlisberger still questionable for Jags
Saturday, December 15, 2007

Peter Diana / Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger argues with linesman Jim Mello against the Patriots last Sunday in Foxborough, Mass. Roethlisberger injured his shoulder in the game.Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger practiced yesterday for the first time this week but is listed as questionable for the Jacksonville game tomorrow on the official injury report.

Roethlisberger injured his right shoulder during the Steelers 34-13 loss to the Patriots Sunday and it was still sore on Wednesday, so he was held out of practice for two days.

Roethlisberger shrugged off most questions about his injury yesterday after practice, but said he'll be ready to go tomorrow against the Jaguars. He said it was important for him to return to practice yesterday in order to test the shoulder by throwing the ball.

"You'll have to ask coach [Mike] Tomlin on that one," Roethlisberger said when asked if his shoulder was still sore. "I feel great. I wanted to get out there, get some plays in, get some reps and get a feel for it. It was good I got some reps and that's important and I got the no-huddle in, so it was productive. It was very important [to get mental reps while he was sitting out], which is why I was standing behind Charlie when he called the plays in the huddle and checking all the reads he made and comparing them to the things I would do. It was valuable, definitely not a week wasted."

Roethlisberger was asked several times about the specifics of his injury, including whether he was able to throw deep passes at practice and each time he answered, "I don't know, you'll have to ask coach Tomlin on that."

[B]A shot at redemption
The Steelers lost at Jacksonville, 9-0, in the second game of last season on Monday Night Football. Pittsburgh produced only 153 yards of offense and Roethlisberger was only 17 of 32 for 141 yards with two interceptions..

"I feel embarrassed about that game last year," Roethlisberger said. "Especially, I found out from [offensive coordinator Bruce Arians] that we only crossed the 50-yard line maybe three times. It was bad and I didn't play well. It was a bad game for me and so I know that I have some redemption on my mind. I want to come out and play well, but not get caught up doing too much. We want to get a win, it is an important game for us."

Red zone woes
The Steelers are 9-4 but they are only 2-2 in their past four games. One of the reasons is a failure to score touchdowns when they enter the red zone. Through the first nine games, the Steelers scored 21 touchdowns in 35 trips into the red zone, which is a touchdown percentage of 60 percent. The last four games, however, the Steelers have scored just four touchdowns in 11 red zone trips, a 36 percent rate.

As a result the Steelers have fallen from fifth in the NFL in red zone offense to 13th. Arians said the Steelers recent struggles are mostly due to poor execution on offense once they get inside the 20.

"It is really just a matter of executing better in the red zone," said Arians. "And part of it is execution in the run game, especially once you get inside the 10. We had success early in the season and it is just a matter of doing some of the little things better."

Injury report
The Steelers-Jaguars final injury report: Steelers: Roethlisberger (shoulder) and linebacker Andre Frazier (groin) are questionable; cornerback Bryant McFadden (ankle) is probable. Jaguars: Defensive end Reggie Hayward (groin) and linebacker Mike Peterson (hand) are out, defensive tackle Jeremy Mincey (hamstring) and safety Reggie Nelson (hamstring) are questionable, and guard Vincent Manuwai (foot), cornerback Rashean Mathis (groin) and defensive end Paul Spicer (shoulder) are probable.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07349/841973-66.stm

jjpro11
12-15-2007, 12:45 PM
rotoworld.com-
Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder) appeared to struggle with his velocity during the media-portion of Friday's practice.

The Steelers did not run any pass plays over 15 yards in that segment and later "appeared to be favoring his right shoulder and throwing with a semi-sidearm motion". Big Ben is expected to play and while this could simple be a matter of gamesmanship on the part of the Steelers, the situation is worth monitoring the Sunday morning reports over.

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2007, 12:49 PM
After getting pounded for 13 games this unfortunately was inevitable - when a QB is harder to bring down but is consistently getting pressure he will take more hits until he goes down - if Ben is hurt I say roll the dice with Batch

jjpro11
12-15-2007, 12:56 PM
After getting pounded for 13 games this unfortunately was inevitable - when a QB is harder to bring down but is consistently getting pressure he will take more hits until he goes down - if Ben is hurt I say roll the dice with Batch

i cant believe he lasted this long without suffering an injury capable of keeping him out of a game.

Davison_K
12-15-2007, 01:13 PM
even if he weren't going t play, i would feel comfortable with batch. but its good to hear that we will have ben playing

Atlanta Dan
12-15-2007, 01:17 PM
i cant believe he lasted this long without suffering an injury capable of keeping him out of a game.

I thought that time had come when he got whacked along the sideline in the Ravens game

HometownGal
12-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I guess with all of the conflicting reports, we're just going to have to wait and see tomorrow if Ben or Charlie will be starting the game.

I found this article interesting - Ben v. Garrard. The crafter is right - other than Williams, Garrard doesn't have much left to throw the pigskin too. I'm hoping for a HUGE game out of Ike. (Psssssst - Hey Dick - let Ike pass protect and have Troy come in on the backside on the rush):wink02: :thumbsup:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=2A849B61B2DEB7B0A161B632299763B1? id=09000d5d8050b75c&template=with-video&confirm=true

Jaguars QB David Garrard vs. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger

Both of these teams love to run the football, but they both are excellent at stopping the run. In other words, the quarterbacks will have to step up in order to win.

While the focus is on the run, both teams have excellent quarterbacks. Garrard and Roethlisberger rank third and fourth in the NFL, respectively, and both have ratings over 101. Garrard lacks a solid corps of receivers -- Reggie Williams is really his only option. Roethlisberger, meanwhile, has Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, and tight end Heath Miller at his disposal. This shapes up as a pretty good matchup in a pretty good game, and it might even be a preview of a first-round playoff game.

steelpride12
12-16-2007, 10:24 AM
ughhh never good news here.
This is not the team to be playing against with a nagging injury which Ben will prob. get hit a lot in.
Plus they said Ben couldn't throw far or have much velocity and we can't have Ben making bad decision throws because of his injury so if Batch his needed i say bring him in!

RP_McMurphy
12-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Hmmmmmmm tired of hearing this no receivers on the Jaguars. They don't have alot of big mouthed me, me and more me recivers but they have solid ones that have improved this year. I feel comfortable with Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, Ernest Wilford and Mercedes Lewis. Well and not so comfortable with Matt Jones......his nickname in Jax is Mattloaf due to his no so hard work ways.

jjpro11
12-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Hmmmmmmm tired of hearing this no receivers on the Jaguars. They don't have alot of big mouthed me, me and more me recivers but they have solid ones that have improved this year. I feel comfortable with Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, Ernest Wilford and Mercedes Lewis. Well and not so comfortable with Matt Jones......his nickname in Jax is Mattloaf due to his no so hard work ways.

jax has tall receivers.. we never seem to do well covering tall receivers.